PDA

View Full Version : Freudian Slip - web-site question/suggestion

MtnMan
08-03-2009, 04:53 PM
It would be helpful if the web pages on the Tom Bihn site added an item to each product's specifications sidebar: whether a given bag is compatible with a Freudian Slip, and if so, which one.

It looks like none of the Cafe bags could hold a Freudian Slip, but I'm not sure if that's true of the Ristretto Messenger or the Imago.

maverick
08-04-2009, 08:06 PM
It would be helpful if the web pages on the Tom Bihn site added an item to each product's specifications sidebar: whether a given bag is compatible with a Freudian Slip, and if so, which one.

It looks like none of the Cafe bags could hold a Freudian Slip, but I'm not sure if that's true of the Ristretto Messenger or the Imago.

hi mtnman,

the product descriptions for the freudian slips indicate which bags they fit inside.

from the product description for the horizontal freudian slip (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0345):

"The horizontal format of the Horizontal Freudian Slip allows it to fit inside our Checkpoint Flyer, Zephyr or Empire Builder briefcases, Western Flyer and Tri-Star travel bags, or ID, Ego, or Super Ego messenger bags. It'll also probably fit inside your current messenger bag or briefcase (the external dimensions of the Horizontal Freudian Slip are 14.8" x 11.8" .50")."

from the product description for the vertical freudian slip (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0344):

"The Freudian Slip is made to fit inside either the Brain Bag, the Smart Alec, or your current daypack."

i believe each of those products also mention in their description that the freudian slip will fit inside.

i believe that both the imago and the ristretto will not hold the freudian slip products.

i hope this helps. let us know if you have other questions.

MtnMan
08-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Does the Freudian Slip only come in one color?

Does anyone carry a bag with more than one Freudian Slip inside? If so, how do you tell them apart?

Foggy Morn
08-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I keep a horizontal FS in my cork Swift and it works beautifully.

maverick
08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Does the Freudian Slip only come in one color?

yes, the freudian slips only come in one color.

Darcy
08-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I keep a horizontal FS in my cork Swift and it works beautifully.

Tom may design a Swift-specific Horizontal Freudian Slip later this year. :)

marbenais
08-11-2009, 08:40 AM

That would be amazing!

MtnMan
08-11-2009, 01:22 PM
It would also be interesting to see if a custom FS could be made for some of Bihn's smaller shoulder bags, like the Large Cafe or the Imago or Ristretto. I'm guessing these bags would be too small for a regular FS, but if a Mini Slip could be developed for these bags (and maybe for the Ruck's Sac as well) that would open new possibilities for Bihn's smaller messenger bags.

Rhiannon
08-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Something like the vertical Freudian slip for the large Cafe Bag would be awesome! I've been carrying a standard 2-pocket folder (full of work for my Summer classes) in mine and it fits okay, but I'd appreciate the organization and easy access a Freudian slip would provide. I can imagine it might be difficult to shrink it down and still keep it functionally useful, though.

ncb4
08-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I have both a 1st-generation Ristretto, and as of two weeks ago, a beautiful new Indigo Swift. I am using the Swift not for knitting, but to carry the tools of my writing craft: pens, notebooks, Moleskines, Post-It notes, index cards, books I am reading, and even my 13-inch Macbook Unibody, in its size 6x Brain Cell. I was delighted to discover that the Brain Cell fits in there horizontally, with plenty of room for all my other things. The Swift is like Mary Poppins' carpetbag: it seems to be able to swallow an infinite amount of stuff. (And I haven't even mentioned the iPod Touch in a Cork Organizer Pouch, a Clear Organizer Wallet, my cell phone, and even more.) I love the Swift, and given the way I use it, I would be happy if Tom did indeed design a Swift-specific Freudian slip. That's great news, Darcy.

Foggy Morn
08-12-2009, 02:13 PM
ncb4,

If you already have a horizontal FS, then give it a try in the Swift. The only 'issue' (that I've noticed) is that the top corners stick above the slanted sides a bit (~1"). I put issue in shudder quotes because for me, it's not an issue at all, but I can see where others might want to maintain a smooth profile.

I've been carrying my Swift with both the FS and my MBA in a Brain Cell for a while now and it works well. If I carry my Neo (in its neoprene case) instead of the MBA then I can fasten the Swift, but if I take the MBA in the BC, then I can't. It would take about a five-minute break for me to whip up a button / ribbon extension for fastening, but I haven't taken the time to do it.

There's a Purskeket in my Swift, too, but I'm thinking of taking it out since the FS fills whatever needs I have of carrying pens, pencils, notebooks, etc., and the Purskeket keeps getting in the way of the BC.

ex machina
11-08-2009, 12:51 AM
It would also be interesting to see if a custom FS could be made for some of Bihn's smaller shoulder bags, like the Large Cafe or the Imago or Ristretto. I'm guessing these bags would be too small for a regular FS, but if a Mini Slip could be developed for these bags (and maybe for the Ruck's Sac as well) that would open new possibilities for Bihn's smaller messenger bags.

What a neat name for the idea: "Mini Slip." I would really like something like that. An accessory that would allow me to store some papers, even folded in half papers would be fine (I do that now with medium clear pouches), and some addition pockets to tuck stuff in. The Purseket (http://www.purseket.com/en/) is an interesting idea as well, but the patterns do not appeal to me, as does the death of solid colors. Something that has a couple/three front tuck pockets, 2 pen holders, and 2 zip pockets up high with slots on the back so I can store some papers (even sideways and folded), well... I'll take 3. :)

ex machina
11-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Doh! I realized the above post had several errors (the fruit of sleep deprivation no doubt,) but the edit feature is no longer available for that post. So I have cleaned it up below.

What a neat name for the idea: "Mini Slip." I would really like something like that. An accessory that would allow me to store some papers, even folded in half papers would be fine (I do that now with medium clear pouches), and some additional pockets to tuck stuff in. The Purseket (http://www.purseket.com/en/) is an interesting idea as well, but the patterns do not appeal to me, no does the dearth of solid colors. Something that has a couple/three front tuck pockets, 2 pen holders, and 2 zip pockets up high with slots on the back so I can store some papers (even sideways and folded), well... I'll take 3. :)

backpack
11-09-2009, 09:17 AM
A Large Cafe Bag/Ristretto Freudian Slip would indeed be nice, it would be even nicer if the pockets were deep enough to carry letter size paper vertically.

I use Large Clear Pouches in different colors to keep a letter size writing pad and assorted loose paper by subject which I used when I only carry my Large Cafe Bag.

The Pouches stay flat because of the writing pad backing, are very strong
and a classier way to carry document than plastic folders.

I have an older Freudian Slip for my Brain Bags, I love it but the horizontal layout of the pockets even if they work don't seem to give me optimal space.

Recently I also had to deal with legal size documents and I had to resort to buying a Tyvek envelope to keep them together and moved around with my Brain Bag.

The Brain Bag Freudian Slip is tall enough (I think) to hold legal documents.

Edited to say the Mini Freudian Slip would be better renamed the Small Vertical Freudian Slip and fit into the Small Cafe Bag.

Of course Medium Cafe Bag owner would not be forgotten with the Medium Vertical Freudian Slip.

And the proponent of the Mini Cafe Bag could get their Mini Freudian Slip.

Being a bag, hem... enthusiast, I tested various purse organizers uhhh, all my life.

Nothing works as well as Tom Bihn accessories and the Freudian Slip is tops for its business like but not stuffy looks

ex machina
11-09-2009, 09:30 AM
A Large Cafe Bag/Ristretto Freudian Slip would indeed be nice, it would be even nicer if the pockets were deep enough to carry letter size paper vertically.

Great point, backpack. A full size vertical paper carrier could be done in the Large Cafe Bag. I use the medium clear pouches as filing folders in my Medium Cafe Bag. I fold the letter sized pages in half, and carry the pouch longways, top to bottom in the bag. Makes it real easy to pull them out and return them as long as the clear window is touching fabric and not another clear window or non cloth object.

Perhaps a system of slips sized to each bag would maximize the usefulness of each, thus expanding the potential applications of each bag resulting in increasing market shares.

Now if only Tom would develop a nanobot fabric that changed color and texture depending on one's location; perhaps a leather satchel for office days, and psychedelic hemp for clubbing. :P

backpack
11-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Great point, backpack. A full size vertical paper carrier could be done in the Large Cafe Bag. I use the medium clear pouches as filing folders in my Medium Cafe Bag. I fold the letter sized pages in half, and carry the pouch longways, top to bottom in the bag. Makes it real easy to pull them out and return them as long as the clear window is touching fabric and not another clear window or non cloth object.

Perhaps a system of slips sized to each bag would maximize the usefulness of each, thus expanding the potential applications of each bag resulting in increasing market shares.

Now if only Tom would develop a nanobot fabric that changed color and texture depending on one's location; perhaps a leather satchel for office days, and psychedelic hemp for clubbing. :P

Funny!

You too had to deal with Urethane against Urethane stickiness (a clear sign of TB accessory addiction but... I'll take the 5th on that) ;)

As far as the nanobot fabric is concerned, all one has to do is get in touch with cuttlefish, behavior researchers and pick their brains about chromatophores. (little cells that turn on and off inside the skin thus controling the color of the animal)

I sooo want this assignment!

Now, the trick is keeping the fabric strong but the upper layer flexible as in able to change color.

I seem to remember that there is some kind of fabric that changes color with the heat of the wearer so a very business like Black or Steel daytime bag could become a hot Red, Plum or Indigo in the club.

But what about the ones who don't go clubbing but get really into books or yarn, would it turn color at the library, bookstore, yarn shop, craft fair and the like?

Would it be "Red Alert, Mr Worf" or nerd alert everybody! :)

bltkmt
11-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Can the Synapse hold a Freudian slip?

maverick
11-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Can the Synapse hold a Freudian slip?

hi bltkmt,

no, the vertical freudian slip will not fit in the synapse (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0110).

it will fit in the smart alec (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0103) and brain bag (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0104) backpacks.

Margot
03-19-2011, 01:50 PM

Any chance this might happen soon? I had the pleasure of seeing my colleague's Swift and now I have to have one! I'm deciding between the regular Swift and the Little Swift, and this Freudian Slip topic would affect my decision. Thanks!

Moose
03-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Good morning,
Until Tom is better and able to design something for us maybe a Sealine Urban Backpack Orgainzer would work. It looks like it would fit in a Synapse and large Cafe Bag. Sorry, I don't seem to be able to get a functioning link pasted in. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Happy travels,
Moose

Darcy
03-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Any chance this might happen soon? I had the pleasure of seeing my colleague's Swift and now I have to have one! I'm deciding between the regular Swift and the Little Swift, and this Freudian Slip topic would affect my decision. Thanks!

I think it will happen at some point, but as to when I'm not sure. Not anytime soon.

JohnDel
03-20-2011, 10:55 AM
The organizer is 10" wide by 10-5/8" high. According to the instructions, its meant to slide over the stiffener that is part of the SealLine Urban backpack. It doesn't have any structure of its own so it needs to be slid over or hung from something.

It has four pen/pencil pockets, one of which is just big enough to hold a 2 AA cell mini Mag light. The other three are slightly smaller. There are a 4" wide by 5-1/4" deep slip pocket, a 5-5/8" wide by 6-1/2" deep zippered mesh pocket and a 10" wide by 6-3/4" deep slip pocket.

Sewn to the top of the largest pocket is an 18" long non-detachable strap with a clip on the end.

All the pockets are on one side of the organizer.

There's a 1" loop on the top.

Its made of light weight nylon/polyester. Nicely made, but not as robust as the Tom Bihn products.

Eagle Creek used to make two types of organizers, one mostly file folders and the other mostly pockets, similar to the horizontal Freudian Slip. They are both 13" wide by 9-1/2" high and occasionally appear on ebay and similar places.