PDA

View Full Version : Question: TB's super-backpacks

MtnMan
08-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I would like to know if anyone on this forum uses any of the larger, multi-purpose Tom Bihn travel bags (Aeronaut, Western Flyer, or Tri-Star) as a backpack for outdoor activities such as hikes, sporting activities, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, or for outdoor work or volunteerism projects. Does anyone use these kinds of large bags for something in an outdoor setting, other than as travel luggage?

mrae
08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I have the Aeronaut and love it. I wouldn't use it for outdoor activities though. The backpack straps and bag are comfortable for short distances. For anything longer, a bag designed as a backpack like the Brain Bag would work much better.
The smaller bags like the Western Flyer might be designed to be comfortable for hikes but I haven't tried one.

Darcy
08-13-2009, 11:02 AM
mrae is exactly right: the Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Tri-Star are not designed for use as hiking packs. The backpack straps are designed to be comfortable for walking across the airport or walking to/taking public transport to your hotel after you reach your destination.

If you're looking for a day-hiking backpack, the Smart Alec and the soon-to-be-released Synapse are great.