PDA

View Full Version : Best Franks in NYC

ex machina
11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
So I went to Gray's Papaya (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray%27s_Papaya) last night (the one in the Village, Sixth Avenue and 8th Street), and had the Recession Special (2 dogs, and a drink - I chose Orange, as usual - it reminds me of the old Nedick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedick%27s)'s). This is a New York City landmark. No seats, standing while you eat short depth counters, you can be munching next to a Mayor or a homeless guy. One of the places where everyone is equalized. Great hotdogs. I have been eating there (over 20 years) since the special was $1.85 (now it's $4.45.) If you're ever in New York City, stop there for a hotdog that doesn't disappoint. :cool:

Katy
11-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Awesome pictures! I saw that place on Anthony Bourdain. I would love to go there sometime.

PM4HIRE
11-25-2009, 10:52 AM
Hot dogs are the junkest of the junk foods, that's why they taste so good.

Frank II
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
I used to go to the one on 72nd and Broadway....and Papaya King on 86th and Lexington.

Great Dogs.

But did you also go up three blocks to Ray's for some Pizza?

ex machina
11-25-2009, 12:59 PM
@ Katy: Thanks :) They are really good dogs; they use a special private blend of meats and seasoning. When you do travel to NYC, let the forum know so we can give you some tips on things to see and stuff to do. Oh, and places to shop. You can get real good deals in NYC, but it helps to know where, and how to haggle. :)

@ PM4HIRE: Some of the fast food isn't so junky. We have a trend here of sidewalk stands that fry up chicken breasts fresh to order. The restaurants are upset because it's cutting into their trade.

@ fbrown627: I didn't last night, but I have before of course. Now that will be a good excuse to go to Ray's: pics of my TB bags there. :) I know a fellow that used to deliver cheese to them. It was a giant amount they went through in a week.

Akilae
11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Ah... Gray's Papaya, many a nice meal was had there after a few drinks...

You'll need to take your bag down to Nathan's for a comparison. While you're at it, drop by "The Landing". It's a hot dog stand by the ferry landing on the Brooklyn side. Wonderful dogs if simply for the ambiance of sitting in a courtyard chatting with the fantastic owner about hot dogs while chomping down on a curry wurst.

Nana8
11-28-2009, 03:43 AM
I lived in NYC for 2 years in the 70s (hmmm...) and ate A LOT of hot dogs! My all time favorite was Nathan's. Now as I browse the grocery here, I have discovered they are now carried along with Ball Park franks!