PDA

View Full Version : Travel Laundry Soap

PM4HIRE
12-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Laundry soap tip from Lani's Travelite (http://www.travelite.org/?p=120) blog.:p

Frank II
12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
As an alternative, I use these made by Sea to Summit:

http://www.altrec.com/images/shop/detail/swatches/STS/8.76928_e.jpg

If you want basically the same product but with a more flowery smell try these from Travelon:

http://www.packinglight.net/plight/assets/images/altview/PAAAIACABJIKBLFF_lg.jpg

Both have 50 leaves per pack and the plastic package is about the size of a matchbook. Does not need to be in 3-1-1 bag. I find 5-6 leaves per sinkload does the trick.

Jenne
12-08-2009, 07:55 PM
That Charlie's Soap looks really interesting! I like that it appears to be animal-free, as well!

I've been using detergent leaves.

Just
12-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Hearing about Charlie's Soap really makes me want to have my own washing machine. :(

Also... So Lani is still alive, after all! :p

PM4HIRE
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Lani converted her Travelite website to a blog after several years of inactivity...I think she got married or something!!!

Several other sites that I visit on a regular basis have also converted to a blog. Blogs are easier to keep updated, I think.

ex machina
12-13-2009, 10:05 PM
I've been using detergent leaves.

Hi Jenne,

What are detergent leaves? Are they a plant or a cake of soap?

Jenne
12-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Jenne,

It's laundry detergent pressed into thin "leaves" (like paper. They're about the size of post-it notes, but thinner.)

Frank II
12-14-2009, 12:03 PM

If you click on the links in my posting, you'll see two different brands of detergent "leaves." (They are basiclally the same except for the fragrance.)

falconea
12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
I use a cake of Lush solid shampoo, in a little tin.

It works fine on both my hair and my clothes. I use nothing else to handwash silk.

Audrey

bontakun
12-14-2009, 04:54 PM
falconea,
Do you have a particular lush shampoo bar specifically for laundry or just whatever you're currently using as shampoo/soap?

falconea
12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
falconea,
Do you have a particular lush shampoo bar specifically for laundry or just whatever you're currently using as shampoo/soap?

I first tried "Godiva" on my hair but the smell was too strong, so it was relegated to laundry duty. I use "Seanik" on my hair now and wouldn't hesitate to use it on clothes.

For travel, the bars last a fantastically long time. I travelled for 3 months with one bar of "Seanik" and still had half of it left when I got home. (It was only used on my hair; that bar of Godiva came along as well for emergency laundry. The perfume in it is also potent enough to cure smelly rooms - bonus!)

Audrey

ex machina
12-16-2009, 05:22 PM
If you click on the links in my posting, you'll see two different brands of detergent "leaves." (They are basiclally the same except for the fragrance.)

Thanks, I guess calling them 'leaves' as opposed to 'sheets' or 'slips' is a bit o' green marketing. ;)

jonepark
01-05-2010, 04:59 AM
My friend picked me up two vials of essential oils just for making soap. Added about 10 drops of White Tea smell to 5 gallons and it seemed damn near perfect. If you prefer a particular smell rather than the generic 'clean', this may be a good option for you.I made 3 batches of soap in maybe 15 minutes. That's 30 gallons, total cost for 30 gallons is an estimated $10.Glad you folks have gotten some use out of this.