PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing? Has anyone seen this before?!?

AVService
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
So today I am in an office of a design firm doing some Video Troubleshooting when I spot this odd device and was drawn to it like a magnet.

You just have to see this to believe it,I did see it and I don't believe it.

It is that freaky!

http://www.dimensionprinting.com/3d-printers/3d-printing-uprint-video.aspx

This is not the exact one that I saw but you will get the idea.

Ed

MagicTiki
01-26-2010, 05:47 PM
I have seen these before. They are used in product design, toy design and industrial design (among other places) to build prototypes, or sometimes in the movie/entertainment biz to build props. Every so often you'll see these on some show on the discover channel or history channel, where they re-create a virtual 3-D model of a lost building, animal, artifact, etc. I seem to remember a set of researchers re-creating a 3-d model of the face imprinted on the Shroud of Turin once. That was pretty neat.

I have NEVER seen one at that price point. I wonder how much the consumables cost? It would be cool to have it in the living room!

Just
01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Welcome to the future!

PM4HIRE
01-27-2010, 07:46 AM
10, 15 or 20 years from now, this product will be selling on Amazon under $200. It was not too long ago when a laser printer was $10K, say early 1980s. This product automates a process, so if you're a fortune 1000 company or a design/multimedia firm, the price would be very easy to justify.

MagicTiki
01-27-2010, 05:50 PM
10, 15 or 20 years from now, this product will be selling on Amazon under $200. It was not too long ago when a laser printer was $10K, say early 1980s. This product automates a process, so if you're a fortune 1000 company or a design/multimedia firm, the price would be very easy to justify.

I remember those days... that was also back at the time when video editing tools and technology cost an arm and a leg as well. Now anyone with an iMac is a video wizard out of the box. :)