PDA

View Full Version : Airports & iPad

Nana8
06-12-2010, 06:17 AM
We are curious...do iPads have the same requirements as laptops when going through airport security checkpoints? We have both yes and no answers so thought we would come to the best source for accurate info. ;) If this has been asked already, my apologies for the repetition!

Frank II
06-12-2010, 06:58 AM
It does not have to be removed.

Here's the answer direct from the TSA:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-with-e-readers-netbooks-and.html

However, that's not to say that every screener has read the rules.

backpack
06-12-2010, 04:08 PM
It does not have to be removed.

Here's the answer direct from the TSA:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-with-e-readers-netbooks-and.html

However, that's not to say that every screener has read the rules.

Netbooks and iPads as well as e-reader usually don't have to be removed.

But... each airport and each agent can ask them to be removed if they wish.

We should have a list of what is practiced at each U.S airport.

I forgot.

I have experience at a couple of airports with a netbook inside the ancestor of the Cache carried in the main opening of the Large Cafe Bag. Power supply in the zippered pocket.

Nothing else was carried in the bag.

No problem getting the bag without removing the Cache ancestor or the laptop during summer 2009 San Diego SAN to Nashville BNA and back then January 2010 Dulles IAD to Tampa TPA and back trips

In May short trip to Baltimore BWA from Birmingham BHM and back

The netbook was carried inside an old laptop backpack the size of the Synapse.
The netbook was in the "protective" build in compartment and the bag was loaded with other things.
At both airports we were asked to removed the netbook from the bag and placed it inside a bin.

It seems that if owning a Ristretto for iPad/netbook, putting it face down in a bin and not use anything in the back pocket would make it easy to see the electronic components.

Using a Cache inside an uncluttered Cafe Bag or putting the Cache on the back of the main compartment and scanning the Cafe Bag face down with nothing in the back pocket could work as well.

With the Synapse, removing the Cache is the best option.

BPritchard
06-12-2010, 06:03 PM
For our trip to Seattle next Wed, I'll be carrying my netbook in a cache inside of a large cafe bag. The only other thing in the bag will be some "over the ear" earphones. I intend to keep the netbook in the bag.

I'll post later indicating whether or not I had problems.

Nana8
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Thank you all! I would be interested in knowing yor various experiences as (1) the travel season picks up and (2) not all screeners may have read the ruling or may have a different interpretation (although it seemed pretty clear to me!)

ams123
06-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Traveled from BWI to New Orleans and back last week. I took my 10" netbook out of my bag and put it in a bin, in its netbook sleeve. I wasn't aware that I didn't need to do this. My kindle went through in my carry on and they did not ask me to take it out.

sevendog
06-16-2010, 07:57 AM
My husband and I traveled to Austria last month from Hong Kong, via Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport. We thus endured security screenings in Hong Kong, Paris, and Vienna. The only place where my husband was asked to remove his iPad for screening was Paris.

At that time, the iPad was not yet officially for sale in Europe or Asia (and I think that's still the case). I wonder if things will change as iPad ownership spreads around the world.

maverick
06-16-2010, 08:37 AM
hi nana8,

i flew with my ipad in the ipad ristretto at the end of may, and as best as i can recall -

DCA - JFK - didn't remove.
JFK - DEL - didn't remove.
DEL - ATQ - didn't remove.
ATQ - DEL - didn't remove.
DEL - JFK - didn't remove.
JFK - DCA - was asked to remove it.

JFK - DCA was memorial day morning, and the airport was quiet. security personnel were joking around with each other when i went through security - seemed very laid back. they asked if i had a laptop. i said, no, just an ipad. they asked me to take it out before it entered the x-ray. when it came through, they swabbed it - something they sometimes do with laptops and other large electronics.

Nana8
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Good to know-- thanks, maverick! Did you do all of that traveling on the same weekend?!

Nana8
06-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! This will help us decide if the iPad is for us.

maverick
06-16-2010, 06:14 PM
Thank you so much, everyone! This will help us decide if the iPad is for us.

hi nana8!

i went IAD-JFK-DEL-ATQ thursday into friday, and ATQ-DEL-JFK-IAD sunday night into monday.

ChrisG
06-10-2011, 02:33 PM
I've only flown once so far with my iPad, but no problems whatsoever and never got asked to take it out of the bag.

I have, however, been asked to remove my Nikon DSLR camera more than once and send it through in a bin due to it's size.

flitcraft
06-10-2011, 04:26 PM
Last two times through CDG in Paris, all electronics--cellphones, ereaders, Ipods, and all manner of computers--needed to be out separate from the carry-on. Not usre if this is an official CDG policy or I just got unlucky.

Fat Crip
06-15-2011, 04:17 PM
You can add Edinburgh, Bristol, Birmingham, San Javier, Murcia and Alicante to the list of not wanting it out. I've been through these airport between 2 and a dozen times each. Last time through Alicante, they didn't even want my MacBook out, but that's the Spannish for you!

Eric

Jenne
06-17-2011, 08:27 PM
I asked in Houston (Bush International), Toronto, and Fredericton, NB two weeks ago. None of the screeners wanted it out. One said they only needed it out if there was a mess of wires around it.
I just ask and if they want it out it's not a big deal to slip it out.

dorayme
06-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I was pleasantly shocked and surprised, not being a person who travels by plane very much, when I flew from CLT to SEA a month ago and then back SEA to ORD to CLT a week later I didn't have to remove anything from my bags or person other than my shoes and jacket. My 3-1-1 bag remained in the forehead compartment of my ebags Motherlode Weekender, my iPad, mifi, and related chargers and accessories were able to sit inside of my Swift undisturbed. I had an interchangeable knitting needle set with 15 pair of stainless steel 4" needle tips from 2.75mm to 9mm and they didn't even ask me to dig that out of my bag. I was not expecting the pleasant experience that it was to fly. I even used mobile boarding passes on my iPhone so check in was easier than ever, no papers printed or wasted! The only inconvenience was when the final leg of my flight was canceled and I had to spend the night in Chicago unexpectedly.

TXGirl
06-20-2011, 03:11 PM
I flew from DFW to Denver & on our way back home flew from Spokane to SLC and neither time was asked to remove my iPad. I had it in my Portenzo case inside my Synapse.

peregrina
06-20-2011, 05:37 PM
A friend of mine had trouble with his camera. It was a Hasselblad (medium format film camera; completely mechanical) and the screener asked him to turn it on and was very confused when my friend explained there's no on or off...

jannilee
06-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Keflavik/Reykjavik Iceland wants to see not only the iPad, but ALL electronics including cell phones.

ChrisG
06-22-2011, 06:56 AM
A friend of mine had trouble with his camera. It was a Hasselblad (medium format film camera; completely mechanical) and the screener asked him to turn it on and was very confused when my friend explained there's no on or off...

Too funny! I still have 35mm cameras, including a fully mechanical Nikon FM-2. We've gotten so used to digital now that many people forget that some still shoot film.

wennefer
06-27-2011, 02:01 PM
And I use a 4x5 view camera with sheet film. They didn't ask me about the camera (it probably just looked like a wooden box to them), but it was a challenge explaining that (1) I didn't want the film to go through the x-ray, and (2) opening the box of film to examine it would be worse! (finally the supervisor allowed the TSA screener to swab the box and use the ETD machine).

jenniw
06-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Keflavik/Reykjavik Iceland wants to see not only the iPad, but ALL electronics including cell phones.

Very timely info! We're headed from Seattle to Iceland later this week. It's always nice to know before you go what's required.

jannilee
06-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Have a WONDERFUL time. I did. Are you going on a tour? visiting rellies? backpacking it? Make sure you take layers. We had some lovely days and other miserable ones with wind rain and even snow in Akureyri (see pic on the blog!).

peregrina
07-14-2011, 09:55 AM
Too funny! I still have 35mm cameras, including a fully mechanical Nikon FM-2. We've gotten so used to digital now that many people forget that some still shoot film.

Yeah, we shoot both film and digital. I have a range of 35mm cameras including small point-and-shoots like the Rollei 35 and a Retinette. SLRS include a Canon AE-1 and a Maxxum 5. My husband is more of a medium and large format guy so he shoots mostly with a Minolta Autocord (his favourite) and the Hasselblad.

Fat Crip
07-27-2011, 04:21 PM
I really, really miss real film! I used to carry either two FM2s and two FE2s and a bag of lenses or a 6x7 Mamiya rb and three primes. The thing I really liked with the rb was how few pics you got off a roll, especially if you bracket. Maybe only 3 or 4 from a roll! It makes you stop, think and look before releasing the shutter. As a result you get better pics. Digital is more a case of 'never mind the quality, feel the width!'

Kinsale
09-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Helsinki Vantaa airport required I take my ipad2 out of my bag but let me keep my shoes on. They did allow me to keep the ipad in the cache, though.

Illinifan
10-12-2011, 07:14 PM
IND - no
ATL - no
CLT - yes note: tsa agent seemed like she was having a bad day lol

Jenne
10-12-2011, 08:25 PM
HOU no
CDG yes (along with my Kindle and DSLR)

GEOcycle
10-30-2011, 09:21 PM
MSN - ORD -- No.

Glasgow & Edinburgh - No.

Anywhere flying in Japan - Yep. I've discovered that they like all electronics or things with HDs (including portable HDs), Cameras, smart phones, etc to be scanned separately.

Not a bad trade off IMO - in Japan so far I've experienced that there's no limit imposed on liquids when flying domestically.

jannilee
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Frankfurt - yes
Madrid - hmmm - I took it out because of the experience at Frankfurt so don't really know.

dougmon
01-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Just saw this thread for the first time...

I flew LAX-SFO and they had no problem with my iPad. However, they finally asked me to open my backpack because they couldn't figure out what the wireless keyboard was from the x-ray image.

This is an interesting thread since I'm planning to travel to Europe later this year with my iPad. I also want to one-bag it, so I need the best way to carry my iPad and the wireless keyboard. I'm thinking of separate caches for each. Now I just have to decide on which bag...

Lani
01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I flew LAX-SFO and they had no problem with my iPad. However, they finally asked me to open my backpack because they couldn't figure out what the wireless keyboard was from the x-ray image.[/QUOTE}

I just flew SFO-MCO and the TSA agent in Terminal 2 told me, "Is that an iPad? Next time you can just keep it in your bag." Call me paranoid; I usually take it out, anyway. I just put it in the same plastic bin as the shoes and toiletry kit.

[QUOTE=dougmon;33145]This is an interesting thread since I'm planning to travel to Europe later this year with my iPad. I also want to one-bag it, so I need the best way to carry my iPad and the wireless keyboard. I'm thinking of separate caches for each. Now I just have to decide on which bag...

OK this is what *I* do and it may not be enough for you -- I have my iPad in a very slim case, and I actually slide it into the deepest of the front pockets on the Tri-Star or Western Flyer. It's a very snug fit, but it's right in the front and I always know where it is.

My wireless keyboard is a folding one that I can actually slip into the shorter front pocket, so the two basically stay together.

That said, if you plan on carrying a purse with your carryon, all the Cafe Bags will actually fit your iPad (yes, even the Small Cafe Bag). The SCB will make it a bit of a tight fit; MCB may give you a little more breathing room. You can even carry it in your Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. For example, even when I only travel with one bag, I usually bring out the PCSB and stash things in there that I want to use while in-flight. I'll tuck the Western Flyer in the overhead bin and just use the PCSB while I'm seated.

Badger
01-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I was asked to remove my iPad from my MCB at Marco Polo (VCE).

GEOcycle
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I've had to remove my iPad traveling through the UK - Glasgow, Edinburgh and Heathrow.
In Japan at Nagoya Chubu & Tokoyo Narita I've had to do phone, iPad, harddrives, anything with a bunch of circuitry in it.

Plus side ... domestic travel in Japan you can bring on liquids of any size. Fair trade.

JLE
01-17-2012, 12:14 AM
I was never asked to remove my iPad for screening on holiday in the US last year (SFO, JFK, LAX) and like others was occasionally told I did not need to remove it if I did happen to put it in the tray.

Outside the US it varies a lot.

mattfusf
01-22-2012, 05:26 PM
In the past, I've always removed it. My most recent trip I left it in. At EWR, it was no problem, however, coming home from CPH, they handed me my bag back and asked if I'd mind removing my iPad and having my bag checked again. (amazing how much more pleasant the Danish security people are!)

canyonero
01-23-2012, 12:51 AM
In Brussels, I was asked to put the iPad through separately. But there was no line, very polite folks, I kept my shoes on and didn't get groped, so overall, pretty nice.

Never taken it out of the Super Ego in the USA.

darbs
02-27-2012, 07:34 AM
IND - no
ATL - no
CLT - yes note: tsa agent seemed like she was having a bad day lol

ATL - sometimes yes!
My boss and I flew from ATL - MIA and back. She has the Motorola 10 inch tablet. In ATL, they asked her to remove her tablet, but didn't ask me to remove my Nook Color. When flying from MIA, she automatically started to put her tablet in its own bin and the agent told her she could leave it in her bag. It just depends on the agent you get. When I fly out of my smaller airport here in Augusta, they want you to take everything out sometimes and sometimes I don't even take my shoes off.

JonP
02-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Earlier this month I flew to San Diego and left my iPad in my Aeronaut and had no problems. Omaha and San Diego were the two airports I cleared security.

jeffmac
04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Rome airport (FCO) made us pull ALL electronics out and put them in a clear plastic bag.

TavaPeak
04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
Nana8, I haven't flown with my iPad2 yet. But I would say YES, the iPad is for you! ;-) I love mine - it does so much.

WhiteStar
07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
When I go thru any security checkpoints (airport or otherwise), I make it as easy on myself as I can and remove all my devices and set them in the bins. Phone, iPad, laptop, iPod Touch, whatever I'm carrying. And then I refuse to let myself be rushed when I'm putting myself back together on the other side.

dang
07-16-2012, 06:56 AM
I flew out of Seattle and Maui with my laptop and ipad. I took the laptop out but kept the ipad in the laptop sleeve of my backpack and in both occasions was not asked to remove it.

bchaplin
08-13-2012, 04:46 AM
I have never been asked to remove my iPad from my bag. It is packed in a folio case and that is inside a form-fitting sleeve, with no keyboard or other accessories.

Fat Crip
12-11-2012, 01:04 PM
Well here's a thing, I was asked to remove my iPad at Edinburgh Airport this morning... first time ever! I travel through there 2 dozen times a year, but that's the first time!

seqiah
12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
hi there! i had been to London 3 times over a period of 1 year and had been asked to have the contents of my Kathmandu Kinetic Bag checked out on my last trip at LHR. (had no such problem at Stansted airport). It contained both Ipad3 and Kindle. Funny thing was my sister also had an iPad in her Doc Marten bag and she was through without a problem. Could be because her bag is a 'proper' bag unlike mine which is more of a foldable nylon thingy;)
We got through the Gare du Nord station (we took Eurostar to Paris) without any issue.

Fat Crip
12-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Further to my post above, I was asked to put my iPad , but not my Kindle, on the return leg at Alicante. I'm not flying for a couple of weeks, but we'll see how it goes! Currently my iPad goes in a Ristretto, but if this goes on I'll have to invest in a cache as I hate putting my naked iPad in those trays.

Chamonix
01-05-2013, 02:02 PM
It depends how sketchy you look going through the airport or if they're just bored or super busy. There's the official answer from the agency, then there's whatever the agency guard feels like at the time. Maybe it's a slow day and he wants to check everything...well, he has the right if you want to fly. I've never had to take my tablet out but always a laptop.

moriond
01-08-2013, 11:31 AM
I was never asked to remove my iPad for screening on holiday in the US last year (SFO, JFK, LAX) and like others was occasionally told I did not need to remove it if I did happen to put it in the tray.

Outside the US it varies a lot.

In the past, I've always removed it. My most recent trip I left it in. At EWR, it was no problem, however, coming home from CPH, they handed me my bag back and asked if I'd mind removing my iPad and having my bag checked again. (amazing how much more pleasant the Danish security people are!)

In previous US airport trips (including all the places listed by JLE) I've never had to remove my iPad. On a few occasions when I've removed it (generally when there are other electronics being carried), I've been told that I didn't need to remove it. However, at EWR just a couple of days ago when I left it in its cache in my Synapse with some papers, the TSA security person asked whether I could remove my iPad and run the bag through again. (They clearly knew it was an iPad). This was the first time I've been asked to do so at a U.S. airport.

moriond

Fat Crip
01-11-2013, 10:11 PM
Well it's official! iPads, kindles and anything similar now has to be scanned separately at Edinburgh airport. Heather's Tri-Star ended up being scanned three times to get the laptop, iPad and two Kindles, as in her panic she forgot my Kindle was in there too!

timarelay
02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
However, at EWR just a couple of days ago when I left it in its cache in my Synapse with some papers, the TSA security person asked whether I could remove my iPad and run the bag through again. (They clearly knew it was an iPad). This was the first time I've been asked to do so at a U.S. airport.

moriond

Wow, really? I hope that doesn't become a trend. :( I fly quite often, especially within the US, and like most, so far have not had a problem with tablets and e-readers staying in my bag. I always removed my netbook, however (and have actually now stopped flying regularly with it to avoid that hassle).

darbs
02-20-2013, 11:38 AM
I've noticed that if when I lay my bag down in the bin and my tablet is on the bottom, sometimes they'll ask me to pull it out and run it back through. Usually they just have to double check since something is probably blocking it. I try to be a little aware of how I put my bag in the bin/on the belt these days though.

Fat Crip
02-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Alicante in Spain want them out too now. We've just come to the conclusion that we should just have everything ready to scan now. I haven't yet decided on the perfect work to do it, but last this last time we just put the 3 tablets in Heather's MCB which, in turn, was in the larger front section of her Tri-Star. The two Kindles have leather covers but the iPad just has just a 'smart cover' so we need to improve the scratch protection for the back and some 'disguise' for all three. Kindle pouches seem the obvious, but I don't know what'd fit in which i.e. Heather has a Kindle with keyboard and the leather cover that uses the two metal clips in the spine, whereas I have a Kindle Touch in the leather cover with the form fitting plastic retention thing (any of that make sense?).

ceb
02-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Quite simple. While iPads and other tablets should be fine in their bag, they may need to be removed if the screen is "cluttered."

If you've seen the x-ray screen you'll know that it is often difficult to distinguish items and a clutter of otherwise safe items can look like an item that may be a problem.

Periodically you'll also see changed procedures based on localized threats. Sometimes it could just be a new guy or gal at the machine too.

JLE
02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Update: my handbag (containing my iPad) was run through three times at Hobart Australia last week, and even given a rather-too-enthusiastic shake between runs two and three (aaaargh!). Exactly the problem that ceb identified: nothing objectionable but the agent couldn't see clearly. Also, we sometimes notice a much more rigorous application of the rules in smaller airports here in Australia, in comparison to SYD and MEL....

Last year when I went through LHR (T3 and T5, from memory), all electronic devices had to be separately screened and removed from all sleeves irrespective of material (yes, I had to take my iPad out of its Cache). At CDG nothing was separately screened.

I'll be in Hong Kong, Bangkok and Paro (Bhutan) over the next month and will update on my experiences there in case anyone is interested. :)

ceb
02-22-2013, 01:54 PM
We don't always recognize how our stuff looks on x-ray. A bar of soap, a jumble of wires from an iPod/iPad/Blackberry and a ballpoint pen can easily look like a block of C4 and a detonator. Add a couple of loose batteries and it can look really bad.

This is where organizer pouches come in. Put all your cords in one pouch, pens in another and you can easily pull out the offending one and have them root through it while they send the bag through again.

I actually have my pouches attached to the bags using the longer straps and pull them all out of the compartment before I send the bag through - cords in one, 3-1-1 in another and electronics/watch/change in a third - no clutter and everyone is happy. At the end, I just grab my bag, assure that none of the pouches got swallowed up by the conveyor belt and walk to my gate, sit down and put myself back together.

I hardly ever have to send my bag through twice.

darbs
02-24-2013, 06:58 AM
If I have a lot of stuff packed in my bag, I will pull out some of the pouches too. It just makes it easier for those guys to see what everything is. I even had a TSA agent in Miami remark on how organized my backpack was with all of its pouches. She was like "we are calling you the pouch lady!" She said it made her job so much easier for them too.

backpack
03-02-2013, 11:31 AM
Can the iPad stay in its Cache or Pouch, if not, what is the best way to protect them front and back and does more layer of protection mean that they no longer fit in the Cache?

Fat Crip
03-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Can the iPad stay in its Cache or Pouch, if not, what is the best way to protect them front and back and does more layer of protection mean that they no longer fit in the Cache?

The three airports I've had to 'produce' at (Alicante, Edinburgh and Birmingham) have been OK with cache type arrangements... so far anyway!

backpack
03-06-2013, 08:20 AM
iPad 3G best provider in the U.S and European Union both price and coverage wise?

Any recent experience with BeNeLux airports in regard to iPad handling and everything else?

jannilee
03-06-2013, 10:36 AM
It is almost always ( cant think of a time when it isnt ) cheaper to buy local sim cards in europe rather than paying outrageous north american roaming charges.

Fat Crip
03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Certainly in UK and Spain, Vodafone has great coverage. In UK a one month 3G data card 'contract' is 10 for which you get 1 or 2 GB I think, but see PayG & Contract Mobile Phone Deals, SIMs & Mobile Internet*– Vodafone (http://www.vodafone.co.uk) for details. 4G is available here now, but coverage is sparse and non-existent near me so I haven't tried it yet. All mobiles cost a fortune in Spain, but some of the brands like Yoigo don't cost the earth, but coverage isn't the best. Vodafone coverage is strong, but they bend over backwards to avoid letting you on their precious network, so I've only used UK phones on a roaming deal that costs 3 a day then lets you use your standard UK tariff - this lets me keep my UK number and email etc. wherever I am so my clients can deal with me just the same wherever I am.

daisy
03-06-2013, 03:09 PM
iPad 3G best provider in the U.S and European Union both price and coverage wise?

Any recent experience with BeNeLux airports in regard to iPad handling and everything else?

We were in Spain in 2011 and then the beloved was back there last year - picked up Vodaphone SIMs for the phones each time and was happy with service (Barcelona/Madrid) and cost.

We used O2 in the UK - also good - their phone and shop customer service was very good.

We spent waaaaaay to much time in France (2011) trying to get onto Orange (or anything!) ... gave up and next time wouldn't even bother to try. We made do with hotel wifi and a bit of roaming on the O2 cards - SMS was pretty cost effective.

backpack
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I think I am going to go with the ATT iPad with France and Benelux (European plan)

Still not sure as back home we only do mostly messaging but I would love to have the iPad that goes online via the cell tower networks when on the go or when the weather might cut off my home internet connection.

Hunting for micro sims would be too time consuming and it seems that French networks are a huge pain to get into, they have wait time, addresses requirements etc... (stupids!)

daisy
03-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Hunting for micro sims would be too time consuming and it seems that French networks are a huge pain to get into, they have wait time, addresses requirements etc... (stupids!)

This was certainly our experience - both the requirements and and the waste of time trying to sort it ...

(should add for clarity that we were using our Australian iPhones with local SIMs - just used the iPad on hotel wifi etc as the SIMs we had did not allow tethering)

jannilee
03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Huh. Good to know as i will be in paris for two weeks this summer.

backpack
03-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Huh. Good to know as i will be in paris for two weeks this summer.

Below are some of the best site I found about mobile service in France.

Cellular Service for France | France tours, France vacations and hotels in France – France.com – France.com (http://www.france.com/cellular_service_for_france/)

How to use your mobile phone abroad | Gadling.com (http://www.gadling.com/2008/04/02/how-to-use-your-mobile-phone-abroad/)

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - HowardForums Home (http://www.howardforums.com/)

France Guide: Mobile phones, How to use your mobile phone in France: Like all European and many other (http://www.justlanded.com/english/France/France-Guide/Telephone-Internet/Mobile-phones)

The first thing to figure it out if your phone is compatible with the French GSM-compatible, quad-band phone in the U.S.

If so you can use a prepaid sim that you buy from the U.S or even in France, if your phone is unlocked by your U.S provider.

France 2 major providers are Orange (France Telecom mobile division) or SFR which is a subsidiary of Vodafone.

There is also La Poste (the French Post Office) which sells SFR compatible phones and Sim cards.
Postal services by visiting France: Informations on postal services in France - La Poste (http://www.laposte.com/Visiting-France)

You can also rent a cheap phone in France, however, the rates are the highest at airports and I personally don't like the idea of being without a mobile phone anywhere for safety reason.

I was doing research for myself so I thought I would share.

cucciasv
03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Hi, Everyone...

Since we're talking Europe and iPhones... can anyone enlighten me on the cellphone situation in Italy? On my past trips to my native country I always rented a phone through an outfit in the U.K. that would have it at my home here in the U.S. just prior to the trip. While in Italy, the provider was Vodafone (as indicated on the display).

This time (mid-May for two weeks), I will travel with an iPhone as well as an iPad mini with 4G LTE (AT&T) firmly ensconced in my Ristretto for iPad (Steel/Iberian)

iPhone
I currently use an AT&T iPhone 5, but I also have an iPhone 3GS which I had unlocked by AT&T for the purpose of travel to Europe. So, my questions:

Is it, in fact, best that I leave the iPhone 5 at home and carry the unlocked iPhone 3GS?
Once I get to Italy (via Milano Malpensa), where do I go to purchase a SIM?
Is it possible to order a SIM online and have it sent to my U.S. address?
Will this give me a data plan as well?

iPad mini
I would like to be able to use a cellular data plan with it. Same questions about the SIM for this device as for the iPhone.

If anyone can help me out, I would appreciate it and pray that you forever be blessed with boxes and boxes of Tom Bihn products!

Thank you!
Sandro

Someone please help me!
I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

backpack
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
One of the things I did was to go to Apple e-stores in the U.S and European countries which explains specs and compatibilities.

What I have gathered so far is that:

1 One needs to have LTE which is compatible with European networks.

2 One needs to choose between a country data plan or nano chip swap (while micro chips are widely available in Europe, I don't think nano chips are as they are brand new)

3. After checking the Apple e-store for the country of your destination, check with your local Apple store, for brand new deals and compatibilities as well as new accessories suitable for travel.

Below are links for Italy's e-store, it helps in finding mobile providers and band width, use the link to each provider and check what provider might suits you best.

Below is the Italian Apple e-store link for iPad, it shows that Vodaphone and Tre work there.

iPad mini - Acquista un iPad mini con Wi-Fi o Wi-Fi + Cellular - Apple Store (Italia) (http://store.apple.com/it/buy/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad_mini?product=IPADMINI2012)

Apple iPad specs in Italian (useful to check what kind of cellular bandwith your iPad will accept in Italy)

https://www.apple.com/it/ipad-mini/specs/

As fas as the iPhone is concerned, use the Gaddling and Howard Forum links on the thread about France, for information gathering purpose then check the Italian phone service providers website then ask the same questions to your local Apple store.

Badger
03-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Another resource you might check out is slowtravel (slowtrav.com). Their forum is populated with people who travel to Italy on a regular basis, and I know that technology-related questions pop up there regularly. It's quite possible that someone there will have the answers to your specific questions, right down to the closest SIM card provider to your hotel.

I've bought mail-order SIMs to use in Italy in the past, but I can't for the life of me remember the vendors. I don't think it should be a huge problem to get a SIM for a 3GS if you'd rather not deal with it when you're jet-lagged. Many places in larger cities have wifi access, so you might see if you can get away with turning data roaming off and relying solely on the phone's wifi capabilities.