PDA

View Full Version : Safety razor and travel

pretzelb
07-27-2010, 07:15 AM
This year I decided to try shaving with a safety razor and so far I really like it. The dilemma now is how to find a way to travel with this option. If my better half checks a suitcase I guess my problems are solved but I wanted to check in here and see if anyone else had clever ideas.

flitcraft
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
According to the TSA website, safety razors are fine in carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2002/p

but razor blades not in cartridge form are not. Hmmm...anybody have a good sense of the availability of the blades? If they are reasonably available, then just bring your razor and count on getting additional blades for it when you arrive.

pretzelb
07-27-2010, 11:58 AM
That is the most confusing text I've seen in a while.

Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.

So safety razors are excluded but technically they are razor blades that are not in a cartridge. Why would they be excluded?

I once checked at a CVS to see if they had blades since I know Gillette makes a safety razor and I often see the soap and brushes at CVS. I wasn't able to find any so it might be very uncommon. Plus I am not sure they would fit in my Merkur shaver.

Frank II
07-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Look at the size of the blades on a cartridge razor and then look at the size of the safety razor blade.

To get the blade off of the safety razor, you have to take it apart. The blade for a safety razor is loose and easy to use.

Lastly, the blades on a cartridge razor are angled in such a way they really can't do much damage. A safety razor blade can kill a person in less than a second.

pretzelb
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Look at the size of the blades on a cartridge razor and then look at the size of the safety razor blade.

To get the blade off of the safety razor, you have to take it apart. The blade for a safety razor is loose and easy to use.

Lastly, the blades on a cartridge razor are angled in such a way they really can't do much damage. A safety razor blade can kill a person in less than a second.

I agree, that is why I'm confused by the text. It's negative logic but I think what they are saying is:

You can't bring a razor blade (understandable)
You can bring a safety razor (confusing)

If they just changed "excluding safety razors" to "including safety razors" then I'd understand.

Frank II
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
You can bring a "safety razor," you just can't bring the blades for it.

dude
07-28-2010, 04:27 PM
That ambiguity led to my trying to carry on safety razors. My experience is that if you try to carry on the blades you will lose them, and the outline of the razor will show up on every xray and every security checkpoint will verify that you don't have razors tucked away somewhere. Even in Europe. Carrying even an empty safety razor gets in the way of the simplicity of carrying on, IMHO.

For US travel buying blades once there isn't a good option, as most people who shave with safety razors go through some process to determine what blade is best for them, and they are likely to be special order items. The generally available blades are well-regarded.

If you have companions who are checking, have them carry them. You can mail them ahead to your destination. Or try the new Schick Hydro. I don't give this up easily, but it's a very good cartridge razor. It's just a bummer and there are no good solutions.

Colorado
11-26-2010, 09:23 PM
Most Wal-Marts have cheap double edged blades if you needed to pick some up--as do many pharmacies.

I've used a safety razor for several years now. I travel with it and several extra blades and I've never been questioned. I always worry that they'll take not only the blades but also the razor. They've tightened up recently, but I flew just a few months ago without a problem. If you're worried, don't want to take any chances, and don't want to use cheap blades, you could always mail a few to yourself--they're pretty light. I've received a number that way from other wet shaving enthusiasts who want to send a couple of unusual brand blades for me to try.

gargoyle
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
I recently carried a safety razor and blade (separate) on a flight and didn't raise any alarms. On the way back the blade was in the razor.

-gargoyle

bnett
11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
I've had my carry-on searched twice because I had an empty safety razor in it (blades were in a checked bag). I now travel with a cartridge razor in the carry-on to avoid issues.

Regards,
Brian

Just
11-30-2010, 10:28 PM
Adam Savage: TSA saw my junk, missed 12" razor blades (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/11/adam-savage-tsa-saw-my-junk-missed-12-razor-blades.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss)

Alexis121
02-21-2011, 01:06 AM
Safety razor and travel:
I've taken my first dive into DE shaving and after my first shave i was a convert. Before this revelation I was totally dispirited with shaving mainly using and the cost of a conventional cartridge razor. Over the years not realising i'd condensed the hateful chore down to as short a time as possible and tried everything from the expensive 'umpteen' blade cartridges down to the lowly single blade disposable face scrapers, all with no joy or fun. To my delight i've found that by actually throwing more time, ceremony and additional age old shaving 'peripherals' [badger brush, wool fat soap & alum block] to the issue of male grooming i'm now thoroughly enjoying it. I haven't used any other DE safety razors but i'd say the Merkur Travel Razor is an ideal starter razor. It is incredibly small in its deconstructed state but when screwed together is great for my smallish sized hands and is a good weight and well balanced. Not much pressure is required when shaving and there is enough weight in the head for it to do the work for you without giving an aggressive shave. Having just started i've had a couple of nicks [probably down to my ropey technique] but i've not had any shaving rash or redness. I do travel on a regular basis but i'm using this as my main razor which it is totally suited for and doesn't feel like a compromise in any way. I store it in the leather pouch in between shaves which means it needs to be taken apart and if anything is an advantage as it's a good reason to give it a proper clean between shaves, ensuring an excellent performance every time
http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/traditionalshaving/customerimages/products/MER-RAZ-TRA.jpg

Climb14er
02-24-2011, 07:35 AM
I use a Merkur Progress safety razor at the house. Very close shaves.

However... when I travel, I take along a Sensor Excel cartridge razor.

I don't know what the confusion is all about!

You can bring a safety razor but NOT the blades! Blame the TSA!

Fat Crip
02-25-2011, 05:28 PM
I use a Merkur Progress safety razor at the house. Very close shaves.

However... when I travel, I take along a Sensor Excel cartridge razor.

I don't know what the confusion is all about!

You can bring a safety razor but NOT the blades! Blame the TSA!

Hardly a surprise! After all 911 was expedited by killing/threatening hosties with box cutters! Razor blades would do the job even better! Disposable/cartridge razors can be fashioned in to very effective weapons, but it takes time and effort to achieve (a common prison weapon I believe).

After a lot of trial and error, I use Wilkinson Sword triple blade disposables with a badger brush from Arran Accessories and a very old fashioned block soap from my local chemist.

Oddly I don't generally see much benefit in multiple blade razors as, in the main, they clog very easily, and the more blades you have, the worse it gets. On the other hand, most single or even twin blade razors are just rubbish, and rip your face to shreds. The Wilkinson Sword 3 blade extreme, however, is a really good compromise. They have, relatively, good quality blades and clear reasonably easily. Plus they are made by Wilkinson Sword - the name on the world's finest blades! I have three of their swords in my collection (two 1896 infantry pattern, both made before 1901 and an exceptionally fine Royal Navy officer's sword which has seen parade duty in my hand).

The only real downside to these razors is that they are expensive as they really only do one shave before they start to dull.

Frank II
02-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I recently started using the Schick Hydro 5.

When I first saw it I thought it was a gimmick but someone sent me a free one to try. I was hooked. Great close shave and I get about 50% more shaves than any other blade razor I've used. And I have a heavy beard.

maverick
02-28-2011, 10:29 PM
interestingly, i was able to make it to india (through the security checkpoints at IAD and FRA) with the blade in my double edge safety razor.

the folks running security at ATQ on my return saw it and asked me to dispose of it.

i was surprisingly pleased that i was able to shave while i was there (albeit i only shaved once during my week long trip). IAD security has asked me to either check my bag or toss the blade in the past.

and it wasn't a big deal that it got tossed on the return. if i had remembered, i would actually have tossed it before returning to make the process of going through security easier.

surprisingly, they didn't object to my nail clippers either way - which, mind you, have a pokey nail file that slides out.

my friend traveling with me was traveling with a neti pot and salt for preparing a saline solution (getting over a cold). IAD security was concerned about the salt and tested it to see if it was an explosive.

mjb
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I've stopped bringing my safety razor and anything else "borderline" (multi-tools, small knives, etc) for that matter. The rules are applied so inconsistently, and you'll never win an argument with a TSA screener anyway.

Fat Crip
03-03-2011, 06:48 AM
You guys have inspired me! I have been using disposable razors (Wilkinson Sword Extreme 3 blade) for eight or ten years, but have been increasingly concerned by the profligacy of throwing them in landfill (they're not allowed in our recycling here). So yesterday, I was in the chemist collecting some drugs when I stopped to buy a block of my favourite shaving soap, and saw a Wilkinson Sword 'classic' razor with 5 blades for just 4.29. So I'll be giving it a go. Granted the cheap plastic, is pretty rubbish, but throwing it away and upgrading to a decent model, will be no worse than throwing away a disposable, and it lets my try it without investing a fortune. My wife is planning to check a bag on my next flight to Spain on Saturday, so I can take a supply of blades and leave them there so I'll only need to carry the empty razor each time. My remaining disposables can be used for other short trips where carrying blades could be problematic. The other benefit is cost. The razor with five blades (10 edges of course)cost about the same as a pack of eight disposables, but five more blades are only 99p! ($1.50)

mjb
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I switched to a safety razor because of the cost savings and nicer shave, but after bad experiences with Wilkinson and other European drug-store blades (after having to leave my blades at the TSA checkpoint), I now use disposable razors for travel and keep the safety razor at home.

That said, I shave maybe once every 4 or 5 days when I travel. (I work for rock and roll bands -- being too well-groomed is deemed suspicious activity.)

When you're ready to spend a little money, I highly recommend the Merkur razors. Most of my friends use the Futur, I have a Classic.

PM4HIRE
03-03-2011, 03:38 PM
Blades for safety razors are dirt cheap, whether you're buying them in India or eBay.

Fat Crip
03-03-2011, 04:50 PM
I switched to a safety razor because of the cost savings and nicer shave, but after bad experiences with Wilkinson and other European drug-store blades (after having to leave my blades at the TSA checkpoint), I now use disposable razors for travel and keep the safety razor at home.

That said, I shave maybe once every 4 or 5 days when I travel. (I work for rock and roll bands -- being too well-groomed is deemed suspicious activity.)

When you're ready to spend a little money, I highly recommend the Merkur razors. Most of my friends use the Futur, I have a Classic.

Very nice looking kit. Expensive, but would pay for itself very quickly. I could be heading that way shortly. I only shave a couple of times a week, when I have meetings to attend. The rest of the time I just grow a beard. Where I live, if I don't go out I see no one but the postman and he shaves even less often than I do! Do you like their blades too? Mixed reviews on their site.

maverick
03-04-2011, 04:16 AM

+1 on the merkur razors. i've tried two, and like the 23C (http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-23C-Long-Handle-Double-Safety/dp/B00333IQJ8). used with the merkur blades, it provides a very gentle shave.

Fat Crip
03-04-2011, 10:45 AM
+1 on the merkur razors. i've tried two, and like the 23C (http://www.amazon.com/Merkur-23C-Long-Handle-Double-Safety/dp/B00333IQJ8). used with the merkur blades, it provides a very gentle shave.

With the Maverick seal of approval, its a done deal!

I'll be using my new safety razor for the first time in a few hours so we'll see whether I'll be a Merkur devote as well as my TB obsession shortly.

maverick
03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
With the Maverick seal of approval, its a done deal!

I'll be using my new safety razor for the first time in a few hours so we'll see whether I'll be a Merkur devote as well as my TB obsession shortly.

fair warning - i went and purchased double edge safety razor blades at a drug store when i lost mine to a security check point at toronto's YYZ airport. it resulted in a very unpleasant experience. it's not the blade; it's not the razor. it's the right combination of blade and razor that makes for a good shave.

and different people like different combinations. what's right for me may not be right for you.

also, be gentle. you want to reduce the hair growth, not take it away. let the weight of the razor move it down your face - you don't need to apply force. i would suggest shaving twice, washing your face and applying shaving cream in between the two shaves.

here's my routine -

shower. this softens the beard growth.

wash my shaving scuttle (http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html) in hot water. this heats an otherwise cold piece of pottery.

then fill the bottom and top of the scuttle with hot water.

then place my shaving brush in the hot water that is in the top part of the shaving scuttle.

while the brush is soaking, wet a wash cloth in hot water and place on your face. this opens up your pours and feels very relaxing.

empty the top part of the scuttle of water and shake off excess water from the brush (but don't leave the brush dry).

place your favorite shaving soap in the top part of your shaving scuttle and prepare it with your shaving brush. build up a nice lather. i use kiss my face fragrance free moisture shave (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E6TV7M/).

apply a hot cloth to your face again or just wet your face before applying the cream you've prepared.

now use the brush to apply the lather to your face. you'll get a lot more lather on your face than was in the shaving scuttle.

give yourself a minute before you start to shave. this is all to prepare your skin.

shave with the growth of hair, not against it. use one side of the razor blade, then the other, then wash before repeating. don't shave a part of your skin that is dry or that you have shaved. remember the idea is to reduce the beard, not remove it.

once you finish, wash your face with warm water and lather it again with the brush.

shave again.

once you finish, wash out your brush and shaving scuttle. now wash your face with cooler water. this will close the pours.

some people use an after shave. i apply a face cream after drying my face.

happy shaving! let us know how it goes.

Fat Crip
03-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Wilco!

Thanks for that Mav. I've been a wet shaver for years, but I've just been wet my face, lather up, shave off, jump in the shower! I'll try to take more care/time and see how it goes!

Then, maybe I'll try oil pulling next?

maverick
03-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Then, maybe I'll try oil pulling next?

wow! i forgot that was still out there...

Fat Crip
03-04-2011, 01:29 PM
wow! i forgot that was still out there...

Oh yes, its out there! Does it work?

Frank II
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Okay, I've decided to get a safety razor and go back to the real way of shaving. However, not one store in my are carries safety razors.

Any suggestions for a online store that has good prices and is reliable?

I have an old board brush but the bristles and going in all directions. And mug soap. Thinking of getting a good razor (possibly Merkur) and a good brush.

Thanks.

BTW, if you want to see some great videos on shaving, start here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/0/xjhIy9rgWQU

And a good website is:

http://www.shaving101.com/

PM4HIRE
03-05-2011, 08:22 AM
eBay is your friend when it comes to buying safety razors and blades, also checkout "West Coast Shaving" for supplies at http://www.westcoastshaving.com/

Fat Crip
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Well, I tried it and was very pleased with the results!

I followed Mav's directions as far as I could (I don't have a shaving scuttle) and got a very good close and comfortable shave. i did manage a small cut, but that was just because I went over a part healed nick from a previous shave. The main benefit was the lack of clogging with bristles. All disposable types I've used clog up too easily, then they drag, then they cut you up! None of this this morning. So now I'm in Spain and I went to try and buy a razor and blades here. I can get Gillette blades quite easily, but at a price 5.60 ($4.50) for five, compared to 99p ($1.50) at home. However, no razors, and I didn't bring mine. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, as I now don't want to go bak to my disposables and I'm here for 12 days and need to shave.

Eric

timothy
03-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Sensitive skin on me; I have had very bad experiences with most true disposables, and mostly better ones with any of the reloadable (cartridge-enclosed) blade varieties.

The best disposables I've found are the Gillettes that CostCo has carried for a few years (though I've only had to buy them a few -- CostCo has big packs ;)). The few times I've decided to try a conspicuously cheaper look-alike variety, I have paid in nicks. Not quite *death* by a thousand cuts, but I'd rather keep my toilet paper for its intended use.

However, most important (for travel purposes, esp) has been a switch to shaving oil. Tiny container lasts forever (months), and I like the smell. I have not yet tried using plain olive oil, though it *might* work just fine. If I get into shaving as a hobby one day, I *might* be tempted to drag along the equipment while traveling, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up the weight / space savings. For me, a few of the better disposables and shave oil takes up maybe 2 ounces, and little room.

timothy

Fat Crip
03-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Well, I got back to the UK on Thursday evening and at about 10 p.m. I ordered a Merkur Futur plus a supply of blades from www.mankind.co.uk with there 'standard' postage service (which was free). In the morning I got an email saying it had been dispatched and the following morning to that it arrived. Excellent service, worthy of mention on this site I think!

I used the razor with a Merkur blade just set to no.1 (yes I know I'm a coward!), and with a little care got an excellent shave taking off three days growth.

I've been watching a few youtube videos on the subject and I think a better shaving brush, some experimentation with creams/soaps and a shaving bowl/scuttle might be in order. Any recommendations folks? I'd be particularly keen to learn more about Mav's scuttle or even see a picture.

Fat Crip
03-20-2011, 10:31 AM
A question. How many shaves might one expect from a blade? I know its not a science, but what do people find? My 3 blade wilkinson's sword disposables used to last one shave at most! Sometimes, if I had a few day's growth, it would be blunt and useless before I was finished ... and this was the best I could find.

mep
03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
How many shaves from one blade is a hard question to answer. It depends on your beard and the sensitivity of your skin, but I think that most people get 3 to 7 shaves on one blade in a DE razor. I change my blade every Monday, which for me is 5-6 shaves because I often don't shave on Friday or Saturday.

Fat Crip
03-21-2011, 03:36 PM
How many shaves from one blade is a hard question to answer. It depends on your beard and the sensitivity of your skin, but I think that most people get 3 to 7 shaves on one blade in a DE razor. I change my blade every Monday, which for me is 5-6 shaves because I often don't shave on Friday or Saturday.

Thanks mep. When my disposable gets blunt, I know it because it starts to rip my face to bits. I'm kind of nervous of these DE blades because they are very sharp and scarily exposed, so I feel like if I get it wrong I might just cut off something vital! I generally only shave when I have a client meeting or something important. That means between say 2 and 5 times a week. However, at the moment I can't wait to shave!

Oh and a styptic pencil. I've never used one before, but I'm seriously impressed. The only downside is that when I used it on my top lip and it dripped in to my mouth - not nice! Anyone any thoughts on styptic pencil vs alum block?

jcaramis
03-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Anyone any thoughts on styptic pencil vs alum block?

I use both, I have an old style plain block of alum that works really well. Seems overall that the alum block stings a bit less on the nicks than the pencil does.

Other good sources of info are badgerandblade.com

Other places i've had good luck with product wise is classicshaving.com and leesrazors.com

And I want to +1 the West Coast Shaving recommendation, they shipped me the wrong item and got the correct one out to me a few days later and let me keep the wrong product as a "free sample" great people.

Fat Crip
03-26-2011, 11:04 AM
I use both, I have an old style plain block of alum that works really well. Seems overall that the alum block stings a bit less on the nicks than the pencil does.

Other good sources of info are badgerandblade.com

Other places i've had good luck with product wise is classicshaving.com and leesrazors.com

And I want to +1 the West Coast Shaving recommendation, they shipped me the wrong item and got the correct one out to me a few days later and let me keep the wrong product as a "free sample" great people.

Thanks for that. I've found a couple of really good places here in the UK, www.mankind.co.uk in particular. I'll order an alum block with my next order - I've got an urge for a decent badger brush. I have three brushes, but they are all bristle, and not really very nice. I fancy a decent silvertip!

gargoyle
03-28-2011, 07:21 AM

I usually get about 2 weeks on a DE blade, shaving every alternate day and not on weekends. I've found that I can get an additional 1-3 shaves if I flip the blade around halfway through it's life.

-gargoyle

Fat Crip
03-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks Gargoyle.

So it seems a better shave, with blades costing less than half the price, that last five times as long! The cost of a 30 razor will be repaid in weeks!

However, I just bought a shaving scuttle. It arrive today and works brilliantly ... I had to stop myself performing a 4th pass with lovely warm lather! So that's another 35 to 'recover'.

bnett
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
I've been using a DE razor for years, and here is my go to kit:

Merkur Futur Razor (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/190429.htm) - great weight and balance
Moss Scuttle (http://www.sarabonnymanpottery.com/moss_scuttle.htm) - the original retro scuttle and -- IMHO opinion -- the very best
Shavemac Brush (http://www.shavemac.com/documents/home.html) - had a few brushes, this was the best
Feather Blades (http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/522941/906451.htm) - very sharp, but perfect and smooth
Tobac Shaving Soap (http://www.emsplace.com/shaving/wet_shaving.aspx) - just great lather and scent. That said, I'm really enjoying a new shave soap from Em's Place, Bay Rum (http://www.emsplace.com/grooming/mens_grooming_toiletries.aspx#glycerin). After years of Tobac, Em's Bay Rum may well become my default.

I can't imagine going back to a cartridge razor. BTW, I usually get 5-7 shaves per blade (two passes each shave).

Fat Crip
04-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Oh dear, no wonder I've not bought another bag for over a month! I just ordered two more different Merkur razors, two brush stands, a wooden soap dish, some shaving cream and an alum block. This on top of a new Kent badger brush, an excellent scuttle (how did I live without it?) and a Merkur Futur razor last month. All I need now is another brush for my other house ... oh and and another scuttle, and another alum block and, and, and ........

This i as addictive as bags and shoes! At least my wife won't think I'm turning gay for buying razors ... I hope!

thorn
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
If you use a plastic safety razor and have sensitive skin like me, then use shaving oil instead of shaving cream.
http://www.amazon.com/SHAVE-SECRET-SHAVING-OIL-18-75ML/dp/B0023XF60Q
Works great and leaves your skin smooth. You could also try olive oil, may almost be the same thing. I bought some at a local store but I can't remember which one at the moment, either grocery store or the local megamart. Pretty sure it was near the top shelf and hard to find.

Frank II
04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
At home, I started using Proraso Shaving Cream. It's from Italy and a small nickel size will lather beautifully with a badger brush and give you enough for two "coats." It's now my favorite shaving cream/soap.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Cream-5-2-147/dp/B000RI8BZQ

On the road, I stick with Somerset's Shaving Oil Heavy Beard formula:

http://www.somersets.com/orderform.php

Order 10 GBP pounds worth of oil and they offer free shipping worldwide. I stock up as the stuff lasts forever.

gargoyle
04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=Frank II;24576]At home, I started using Proraso Shaving Cream. It's from Italy and a small nickel size will lather beautifully with a badger brush and give you enough for two "coats." It's now my favorite shaving cream/soap.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shaving-Cream-5-2-147/dp/B000RI8BZQ

I use Proraso too...love the stuff.

FYI, you can buy it from Bath & Body works stores too.

-gargoyle

misterN
04-12-2011, 11:36 AM
I just got a bunch of shaving supplies today based on the testimonials in this thread. Going to try it out when I get home from work (I started trying to build up lather with a badger brush during lunch, I didn't get super far though...)

Using the Proraso Shaving Soap and a Merkur 180 safety razor.

Fat Crip
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I just got a bunch of shaving supplies today based on the testimonials in this thread. Going to try it out when I get home from work (I started trying to build up lather with a badger brush during lunch, I didn't get super far though...)

Using the Proraso Shaving Soap and a Merkur 180 safety razor.

Watch that you don't have too much water in the brush. I made that mistake moving up from a bristle one. Try shaking it till you've shaken most of the water out then start making the lather. If it's too dry then just dip the brush in the water a little before carrying on lathering. Youll soon judge how much you need, but to start with it's easier to add than subtract. Also a new brush will take a week or two to really break in and soften up.

Good luck though, it's worth the effort. Keep the styptic pencil/alum handy for your first few attempts and stick to with the grain (downwards mostly) for the first couple of weeks unless you like pain and blood;-)

misterN
04-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Watch that you don't have too much water in the brush. I made that mistake moving up from a bristle one. Try shaking it till you've shaken most of the water out then start making the lather. If it's too dry then just dip the brush in the water a little before carrying on lathering. Youll soon judge how much you need, but to start with it's easier to add than subtract. Also a new brush will take a week or two to really break in and soften up.

Good luck though, it's worth the effort. Keep the styptic pencil/alum handy for your first few attempts and stick to with the grain (downwards mostly) for the first couple of weeks unless you like pain and blood;-)

Yea, I definitely nicked myself a few times. It was nice though, but I feel like it's going to take awhile to for my skin to adjust to using this blade. I was also going through about 5 days worth of growth. I think if I do every other day, having more maintenance shaves, I should be fine and my skin will adjust fine. I was using the Proraso shaving soap, with their before/after creme before. It'd be best doing it fresh out of the shower, as opposed to using a hot water towel to help open the pores.

Yonkdaddy
04-13-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi All... fascinating set of messages. I have a couple of favorite shaving creams... the first is from Geo F Trumper in London. I use the Coconut Oil for normal skin, and it's really nice. Available over the web from a number of US sources as well. Here in the States, I've picked up the eShave White Tea shaving cream and after-shave cream. The scent is both sublime and subtle, and the after-shave cream is really marvelous.

I have great super badger shaving brushes from Geo F Trumper and from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Both are really good, and can be ordered over the web.

No safety razor for me... I use the Art of Shaving Fusion Power Shave razor and like it alot.

Finally, for folks traveling to London, I really recommend a visit to Geo F Trumper's barber shop in Jermyn street for a luxury straight-blade shave. Hot towels, hand-whipped lather, more hot towels, cold towels, skin food, the works. It's expensive but an important part of my travel ritual when I hit London!

Finally,

Yonkdaddy
04-13-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't have a really thick beard, but I do love a luxurious wet shave. Here's my input:

I use Geo F Trumper's Coconut Oil Shaving Cream; beautiful, subtle scent & very rich lather. It's available online either from Trumper or there are a few places in the US that stock it. ALso, eShave's White Tea Shaving Cream and After-Shave Cream are wonderful. GREAT scent, and the after-shave cream really leaves my skin feeling fantastic.

I have some great super badger brushes I got from Taylor of Old Bond Street and Geo F Trumper. Both are really nice and I recommend them.

If you're in London, you have got to go to Trumper's barber shop just off Jermyn street for a shave. Hot towels, hand-whipped shaving cream, straight-blade shave, more hot towels, cold towels, skin food, aaahhh. Not to be missed; it's part of my ritual every time I'm in London!

I use an Art of Shaving Proglide Power Razor... it's really nice... and it has a headlight!

For anybody out there who's a head-shaver, I also highly recommend the HeadBlade product line. The only way to have a smooth dome w/o nicks! I shave my head more than my face, so have a lot of experience with these products.

jcaramis
04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
I ordered some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave from West Coast shaving and they instead sent me their shaving cream (which I didn't want to try for 19$) and was happy they did as they let me keep it as compensation for their error. Boy am i happy with it. Smells great and shaves superbly.

However if you aren't sure if you want to spend that much on a whole jar Shoebox shave store (http://shoeboxshaveshop.com/taylor-of-old-bond-street--samplers.html) has 1/4 oz samplers for $3. I ordered 5 of them to check out all the scents, they will be delivered today. If you go this route I highly recommend Eton College, its new to me but has quickly become my favorite scent.

Fat Crip
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
I ordered some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave from West Coast shaving and they instead sent me their shaving cream (which I didn't want to try for 19$) and was happy they did as they let me keep it as compensation for their error. Boy am i happy with it. Smells great and shaves superbly.

$19!!!!! 6.90 here (about $10-11). It's half the price of Trumpers here, though 150g rather than 200g. I really like their sandalwood, but can't make up my mind between soap in it's nice turned wood bowl and the cream in a plastic tub. Both are great.

Fat Crip
04-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I nicked myself shaving today. Not remarkable you're thinking, not so I say! When I started this DE shaving thing I slashed my face to bits. Today a small nick, the first in ages. I must be getting the hang of it ... at last!

dang
07-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I use a safety razor too. For strictly carry on, there are two options:
1. buy the blades at your destination.
2. If you know where you are staying, mail the blades ahead of time to your hotel. They should be able to hold them for you.

Shanisol
05-07-2015, 08:40 AM
I realize this is an incredibly old thread, but it seemed like a good place to put my random recommendation... I just placed an order for shaving supplies from Maggard Razors (http://www.maggardrazors.com/) and was really impressed with their customer service. I've ordered from Classic Shaving and West Coast Shaving before, and don't have a bad word to day about them, but Maggard went above and beyond. I placed my order on Sunday afternoon and received a personal email within about 20 minutes that they had received my order and would process and ship it out on Monday. I received the shipping notice and email on Monday afternoon and received my package on Wednesday. I'm really pleased with the soaps - they have lots of artisan brands to choose from.

It is a family run business that reminds me of Tom Bihn and Goulet Pens... that focus on customer service. I figure people here might appreciate that.

tdivcr
05-07-2015, 12:09 PM
I use a safety razor but don't dare take it as part of carry-on. I travel mostly internationally and what goes in the US may not go elsewhere. A few years ago I had needles confiscated out of a sewing kit in Manaus, Brazil. Go figure.

Peruvian
05-08-2015, 06:51 AM
As most of you know, I only travel with carry-on on domestic or international flights. I have been using a safety razor for about 1.5 years and luckily haven't had any problems. I found an outstanding travel pouch made by Waterfield Designs, which I love:

I highly recommend it.

Kstrooz
05-08-2015, 09:18 AM
I also use a safety razor at home. Blades, brush, soapstone…the whole 9 yards.
As a surgeon in training my roommates feel as though I'm about to operate every other morning that I shave.
You see, my face is extremely sensitive, so I'm pretty thorough.

So in traveling... Same delimma.
I am far from a minimalist, so I buy the disposable razors from Walmart (typically a 3 bladed razor) and I use the razor once or twice before throwing it away while abroad. I also use the Red Gillette foam travel canister.

It simply comes down to the sharpness of your blade. Since I only use the disposable razors once, I don't really care if I gunk them up with the foam. This way I don't even have to deal with TSA.

Fat Crip
06-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Wow this is an old thread!

I tried something the other day. I was just doing a 2 night stay, so I took the first safety razor I ever bought, a plastic, almost semi-disposable Wilkinson Sword number, put a fresh blade in it and put it in my TB wash bag along with my brush, soap and alum block. No problem at airport either way! I'm not sure I'd want to risk a Gillette vintage razor like this, but the 5, including 10 blades, one was worth the risk!

ClaireJ
06-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Since this thread was just revived, I wanted to ask people who said they buy the blades at their destination, where do you find them? Traveling with my safety razor has been a bit hit or miss - I'd say a little over 50% of the time, TSA confiscates the blade (I always leave it in the razor, thinking that it makes my intended purpose clear, but they'll remove it and take it). This doesn't seem to be airport dependent, as the same airport has reacted differently. Last time this happened, I went to a CSV hoping to find a blade to use while on my trip, but no luck. I've resorted to traveling with a disposable razor, but I much prefer using the safety razor.

Fat Crip
06-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Gillette blades, not the best, but passable, are available in most Spanish supermarkets and shops like Druni. In the UK, Wilkinson Sword blades, again a bit dull, are widely available in chemists/pharmacies.

misteregg
07-12-2015, 03:15 AM
Safety razors are available everywhere in the world. Here in Thailand they are sold in 7/11

jonjake
07-12-2015, 01:13 PM
I travel with an old Gillette safety razor and a few loose DE blades in their paper wrappers, and while I've certainly been questioned about them a few times at security, I've never had them confiscated. I also travel with a small shaving brush and some shaving soap so I guess the whole shaving kit makes it seem less weapony than if I just had the razor and blades alone.

Another option is to keep your safety razor at home and travel with those cheap BIC single-blade disposable razors, which are actually pretty darn good for 2-3 shaves and just as close and non-irritating as a good safety razor.

safaridoc
08-16-2015, 09:19 PM
I have flown numerous domestic routes as well as to Canada, Africa, Central America, Hawaii, and PR with an extra few DE blades in my dopp kit, in my carry-on, had it searched a few times and never had the blades be an issue.

YMMV