PDA

View Full Version : The Super Ego: Any news on the new messenger bag?

Darcy
06-02-2003, 03:55 PM
Tom is currently designing a large messenger bag to fit larger laptops and the 17" Powerbook.

He's practically invented a great new feature on the shoulder strap that will allow you to carry a cell phone, MP3 player/iPod, Walkman, small camera, and any other small electronic.

Anyway, we're always open to suggestions - any features in particular you guys would like to see on this bag?

What about a zipper top without a traditional messenger bag flap? Or, if there is a flap, two buckles or one?

And: have any suggestions on what we should call it?

xenicon
06-11-2003, 09:56 AM
The old NYC canvas messenger bags ( Global, Martinelli) had a buckle on them which allowed for a quick release w/o disengaging the strap. That was handy.

A zippered split topflap might be nice for larger things with an elastic strap inside to help secure the bulky or long things (dozen roses, architects drawing tube, etc)

name? vroom

Tom Bihn
06-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Maybe we first should say that we mean a "messenger style" bag, in other words a bag used/worn by us plebian masses, not by "real" messengers.
That being said, there are certainly features & functionality that "real" messengers like that could be useful.
So far, we've had mixed results using a quick-release/cam buckle on our bags: non-messengers mostly find them cumbersome and prefer a "set-it-and-forget-it" adjustment. Alternately, I've tried to make the quick release an optional thing.
Regards flaps, I'm prototyping this first bag to have no flap, but instead rely on YKK's new Uretek more-or-less waterproof zippers. I like the esthetics of flaps, but their utility is sometime questionable.
When you say eleastic loops inside, what do you mean? Where?

xenicon
06-19-2003, 05:59 AM
What was great about the NYC bag was that it could be adjusted on the fly. Admittedly, messengers need to open and close their bags alot and the buckle rigged this way - with the bitter-end looped back and through-(vide jpg)- made it easy to pay out more of the strap. The loop simply got bigger. Maybe this is what you mean by a cam. The good thing about this buckle was that it could be used in this specialized way or not. Same buckle, different uses.
The real advantage was tightening the strap (and easily) so the bag fit snuggly across the back while riding. Newer messenger style bags not having this kind of buckle solved the slipping bag problem by adding a strap at the waist but that was an inelegant solution.
When I ride my bike (I ride it to a commuter train) I don't want my bag to slide off my back and swing down into my elbow. It's an annoyance and distracting aside from making the rider what the italians call "brutta figura." I've just got an Eclipse with the larger strap (for the office) and having it fit tightly is a little work at the beginning of each ride but that is better than having the 6 lbs of pb bounce around (which it does still a little bit.) I can deal.

On occasion I found the flap had to stay open or half open because I had an awkward package and the closure straps were simply too flimsy to hold the package securely in the bag. When I shifted my weight on the bike, the weight shifted and the bag slipped. What I wished for was an elastic webbing that I could have draped and secured over the package so it wouldn't move. When I was a boy the tent, luggage, etc stayed on the car roof using what we called the "octopus" which was a ring with bungee cords attached to it.
Maybe the top seam of the bag could have a couple of discreet D rings at the corners and center where an optional webbing could be clipped? The "D" rings might have a slight flap over them so the would be invisible and smooth when not used although they might have uses for hanging a small penlight or keys. If the net's gauge was small enough it could just be tucked away until needed. I might add that the webbing not only could keep things from coming out but could prevent unwanted things from going in.
Maybe a version could be a very thin sheet of latex attached all the way around but cinched in the middle with an adjustable cord like a stuff sack? This might provide an additional barrier to water getting inside too.

here's a link to a couple of shots of the old global:

http://www.mocadc.org/press/global.htm

Darcy
06-19-2003, 10:33 AM
That bag looks a lot like the messenger bag I'd been using for years before I started working for Tom.

FYI, I've just changed it so you can add pictures to your posts, as long as they're under a megabyte.

xenicon
06-19-2003, 12:07 PM
I liked the bag for its simplicity. I even liked the canvas even though it was heavy and absorbent. It felt good. Still, new fabrics, new styles work too and I wonder how many people in ten years (why not now?) will send in pictures of their first Bihns? There are some early bags around now aren't there?
Thanks for the jpg upload feature-

Darcy
06-19-2003, 12:22 PM
I really liked the simplicity of my old bag too - it was actually a paratroopers bag I got from an army surplus store. I became so attached to it and used to it that when it turned from black to grey and the threads were coming loose all over, it took a lot for me to give it up.

But I've had my Bihn messenger bag for two years now (it's a one of a kind bag that Tom sewed himself!- I'll have to take a picture of it soon) and it still looks new. So I finally appreciate good quality materials and construction...It'd be great to have one of those simply styled bags with quality materials.

threemoons
09-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Mkay three things I would love to see on a Large Messenger Bag:

1--separate compartment at the bottom for Stinky Gym Things that is utterly and totally separate from the rest of the bag--my LL Bean Big Easy Bag has this...it also has a fatal design flaw in the strap, which is why I hardly use it anymore, but I digress....

2--External water bottle holder/mesh thingie

3) MOST wanted feature--two loop fasteners on the bottom of the bag to attach an umbrella, document tube, or other unruly tubular/oblong object! Do you know how many umbrellas I've left on the subway because it was raining when I left the apartment but not raining after my day out?

4) Okay, I lied, here's a fourth feature: A mesh stretchy back panel or front panel somewhere on the front of the flap for putting in Irregular Bulky Objects such as small boxes, cans of soda, odd-sized sports equipement, etc--stuff that is light but bulky and would otherwise hog exterior space in the bag. Bungee-type lacing an acceptable substitute here.

Hope this helps...

Tom Bihn
09-16-2003, 05:08 PM
Thanks - that does help. I can't promise all these features, but hopefully we'll be making a bag you'll love.

xenicon
09-17-2003, 05:03 AM
Well, that's really the whole design problem: do you add to the inside by compartments or to the outside with attached bags? I suppose it would be possible to design a modular system so that there is a basic bag which can be configured according to user. One wants an ipod holder, another a cellphone, a third wet clothes. Maybe a board can slide in the back panel that has different pockets attached to it (by zippers and/ or velcro?) So if someone used all the available pockets it would fill the board, but also someone could choose none and the bag would still work. Or they could have one pocket leaving the rest of the board open and just part of the bag (as support). Its a way of having the most flexibility of use without cahnging the integrity of the shape.
I think a bag should hold everything inside it but that might be a narrow view of what a bag is.

jaystar
01-16-2004, 10:01 AM
Hello Tom,

I also like xenicon's idea where you have a modular bay which can be customized.

A feature I would really appreciate is the ability to have an expandable divider system like the Empire Builder. I am not sure what size the file pockets are for the Empire Builder, but it would be nice if it could hold legal as well as letter-sized files.

Also, FYI- The biggest problem I find with most laptop bags out on the market is that even though most provide file space, once your laptop is in the bag it fits very few files, and you can forget it if you also need to stick a couple school books and binders in the bag.

-Jay

Darcy
01-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Currently, there will be two sizes of this bag -

One to fit larger laptops

One to fit really huge monster laptops

Either way, we'll make sure to make them just so big that you can actually fit other things in them besides your laptop

The messenger bag is the next product on Tom's design list - so just a few months more, maybe.

jaystar
01-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Sounds great!

Thanks for the update Darcy. I was wondering how far along in design they were.

-Jay

threemoons
01-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Darcy and all...while you're at it, can you please include a lower level compartment for gym stuff? In other words, please go have a look at the soon-to-be-discontinued LL Beene "Big Easy" bookbag and just make it with a better STRAP--mine keeps breaking at the clip-ons--a sewn-on slider strap would be SO MUCH better. I'd keep my laptop in THAT--it has tons of room--but since the strap breaks so much, I don't dare...

Thank you!

Hmerly
02-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Aesthetics is an important thing for me when purchasing anything. If in designing this larger messenger bag you don't consider aesthetics enough, I think you will regret it. Add something thats eyecatching, but not a sore to the eyes. Make the bag a bit different from the run of the mill, but not so outlandish that you can't take it to work. Of course, it needs the requisite number of organizing pockets and compartments. Also, a seperately divided laptop compartment is a must, but it shouldn't be too padded, most of us will have a sleeve like the brain cell of course. Also, make sure access to the laptop is easy. There is no need for multiple zippers and velcro flaps. Other than that, the usual great Tom Bihn quality will do. Eagerly awaiting this bag.

Tom Bihn
03-04-2004, 03:04 PM
The new messenger-style bag is slowly but surely coming along. I could tell you how cool the prototype looks, but I want it to be a surprise.
A separate compartment for gym clothes seems too specialized for this bag, but I do have ideas about the ultimate school AND gym bag.
Question:would a gym clothes compartment need to exist always, or could it be some sort of ballooning apendage that tucked away when not needed? Just a thought.
The problem of course becomes this: we can make a bag as big as you want, but who's going to carry it after you fill it?

threemoons
03-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Okay, here's my take on this.

I need a decent-looking, messenger-style bag for my office stuff, with a separate bottom compartment for the gym stuff. An accordian-style foldout bottom (secured with snaptabs when not in use) would be ideal. That way, on "gym days" I can cram in my sneakers, a change of top, sox, and undies, and my Ditty Kit of deoderant, comb, and hair wax.

Heck, make the whole THING detachable so I can have it packed and ready to go. Zip-on? Strap-securable? Or just the accordian idea works for me also.

The goal for me here is to use only ONE bag during most weekdays--otherwise, I start leaving stuff at home by mistake as stuff gets lost in the "bag shuffle." The number of times I've left stuff at home because I had to switch from my Big Easy Bag (for the Gym on Gym Days) to my Timbuk2 Bag (Laptop Bag, which does NOT have enough room for both Gym and Computer Stuff) are too many to number.

Again, I want to be able to fit my laptop AND my sneakers in the same darn bag!

I like the idea of a thick, padded strap, also--one that's adjustable to some degree.

What say you all? :D

wbhauck
03-22-2004, 07:15 PM
Hi.

I'm a little late to the conversation. Sorry.

I'd personally like to see a version of the ID messenger bag to be used with a Mitre that would fit the most laptops. I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 that is currently carried in my Brain Bag w/ Brain Cell--which I _love_. Except, the Mitre would open on the long side so I could leave it in the ID and still pull out my laptop.

But sometimes I'd like to just have a messenger-style bag for those easy days when I don't need to carry four or five reference books, spare parts, and lunch.

Just wishful thinking.

bill

maverick
04-29-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Darcy
Tom is currently designing a large messenger bag to fit larger laptops and the 17" Powerbook.

He's practically invented a great new feature on the shoulder strap that will allow you to carry a cell phone, MP3 player/iPod, Walkman, small camera, and any other small electronic.

Anyway, we're always open to suggestions - any features in particular you guys would like to see on this bag?

What about a zipper top without a traditional messenger bag flap? Or, if there is a flap, two buckles or one?

And: have any suggestions on what we should call it?

Hi Darcy,

I like the idea of being able to carry small devices on the shoulder strap. Is this something like the one present on the Buzz? Also, will this feature see its way to the current ID Messenger bag and Smart Alec?

The zipper top would make the bag more like the Empire Builder? If you do have a flap, two buckles would be a good idea for the large size of the bag.

Also, specially since this is a larger design, can you think of a way to design resizable interior compartments (for your PDA, cell phone, business cards, etc)? Rather than stitching the separations between pockets, to somehow have the separations be user configurable? I don't know how you would engineer this, but it would be wonderful since everyone carries different items of different sizes. This idea could be applied across your product line, not just on this bag.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Maverick

threemoons
05-01-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by maverick
Hi Darcy,

Also, specially since this is a larger design, can you think of a way to design resizable interior compartments (for your PDA, cell phone, business cards, etc)? Rather than stitching the separations between pockets, to somehow have the separations be user configurable? I don't know how you would engineer this, but it would be wonderful since everyone carries different items of different sizes. This idea could be applied across your product line, not just on this bag.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Maverick

Hey, I have an idea for Maverick's problem...I thought of this last night after seeing a commercial for that new "self-seal-custom-baggie" Saran Wrap:

Why not make--down the center of the bag--two "lips" of PURE VELCRO, with binding and a few pull tabs at the top?

That way, you could "pull apart" the high-quality Velcro...arrange your Tiny Things (cell phone batteries, RFID tokens for work, PDA, etc), and simply "press and seal" to make little custom pockets for everything! When you need to get to something, just pull the Velcro apart at the top!

I betcha it would work wonderfully!

What do you say? Darcy? Tom?

notoriousp
06-22-2004, 09:43 PM
may I ask what the status is of this bag? I want something different from the Trager you offer (metal clasps, bigger zips, longer strap, more room for 15" Dell...)

Thanks

xenicon
06-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Velcro is great but it starts to collect all kinds of threads and fibers that are extremely difficult to dislodge. This doesn't effect performance but it looks shabby like seeing tin cans on a river bank.
Maybe a simple row of small d-clips which different sized bags with grommets can be clipped to would answer?
Having too many possibilities for marsupial inserts might diminish the intregrity of the bag making it end up like one of those all-in-one electronic wonders where you can mend socks while watching tv.

Maybe the trick is to envision many uses and make those possible but not necessary.

Tom Bihn
06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Velcro is my enemy - in the winter I wear wool gloves, and wool and Velcro get along entirely too well. We'll continue to tweak with the Ego/Super Ego bags and as they near completion, we'll post some snap-shots.
BTW, we are behind on this project because I've been spending all my time in the factory trying to get product out, but have faith - it will happen soon!

xenicon
06-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Great news... that production is starting on the messenger bag. Good name, too.

sp0rk0
06-24-2004, 11:29 AM
I'm really excited to hear/see more about this.

I've just bought a 15" G4 powerbook (after having used a Fujitsu Lifebook P2110 for a few years) and will have to buy a larger bag to accomodate!

I'd like something that doesn't look like every generic briefcase/backpackesque jobbie on the market, and I've been convinced by reviews and nudges from friends that TB is the place to find what I'm looking for.

I wish you made the Buzz a little bit bigger, but I'll hold out hope that the new addition will be just the thing I'm looking for.

sp0rk0
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Will this new bag be designed to accomodate a Brain Cell or a Monolith?

Would it be sized appropriately for a 15" Powerbook, or will it be better suited to larger sizes?

tektech
07-02-2004, 09:22 PM
I need a big Ego :D When can we expect it?

aapotts
10-18-2004, 01:52 PM
ill take a Super Ego with a size 2 brain cell, pick me some cool colors and lets go! ;)

seriously, i need a bag within a month, what are the chances? my current bag has holes and the strap is almost broken. id hate to get something else, because everything else pales in comparison to your bags!

keep up the great work!

tony

Tom Bihn
10-20-2004, 11:55 AM
sp0rk0,

The Ego and Super Ego will fit a Brain Cell, not a Monolith. Both would work great for a 15" Powerbook.

aapotts,

Sorry, but no chance the bag will be ready within a month. We are hoping for production to start early next year.

Thanks for your interest and continued patience.

aapotts
10-20-2004, 03:06 PM
you really know how to hurt a guy...

got any loander bags i can rent until the Super Ego is available!? ;)

keep up the great work!

tony

sp0rk0
10-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Tom Bihn
sp0rk0,

The Ego and Super Ego will fit a Brain Cell, not a Monolith. Both would work great for a 15" Powerbook.

That's perfect, since I've already long since purchased and fallen in love with my Brain Cell!

I guess I'll continue to hold off on purchasing a new bag for a while so I can see what you've come up with!

xenicon
11-18-2004, 12:42 PM
So things been busy there? This thread seems very quiet!

Moosecat
12-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Tom Bihn
...We'll continue to tweak with the Ego/Super Ego bags and as they near completion, we'll post some snap-shots.

We're dyin' here! My ID Bag, while my best shoulder-borne friend, needs a sibling. At least let us see a pic of the baby.

I was, unrelatedly, really bummed out to see that the Smart Alec is backordered until February 05. How am I supposed to give it to myself as a Christmas present?

Michael F
12-16-2004, 09:41 AM
hey there everybody. i'm michael and i'm the newest TB staffer on the block. can't tell you how good it is to be here and to be working with the rest of the bihn crew.

i've been brought in to help better coordinate inventory with production, and ultimately to eliminate (to the greatest degree possible) product backorders. i guarantee you all i'm going to be giving the position 110% so hang in there just a bit longer while i'm brought up to speed. we're gonna lick this backorder thing.

anyhow as for the E/super E...i've seen it! tom is now actively working on the final tweeks. it's amazing how much thought tom puts into his products - he's truly a fine artist (and engineer) who just happens to be working in the medium of bags. the design on this thing is absolutely beautiful! i'm positive everyone is going to be blown away and find the long wait well worth it. i can tell you all straight up that the EGO will be my first TB bag.

keep hope alive. it's coming. soon.

Moosecat
12-20-2004, 09:00 AM
anyhow as for the E/super E...i've seen it! tom is now actively working on the final tweeks.

All I know is that we were promised Messenger Bags of Mass Storage, and now, months later, we still have seen no hard evidence of such MBMS. Oh, sure, we know that Tom Bihn has the capacity to create MBMS, and may even be engaged in active efforts to develop an MBMS Program, but where are the photographs?

:D

Darcy
12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Attached is a picture that clearly shows the presence of the MBMS and the manufacturing facility in which they will be made.

Originally posted by Moosecat
All I know is that we were promised Messenger Bags of Mass Storage, and now, months later, we still have seen no hard evidence of such MBMS. Oh, sure, we know that Tom Bihn has the capacity to create MBMS, and may even be engaged in active efforts to develop an MBMS Program, but where are the photographs?

Michael F
12-21-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Moosecat

how about we just show you a cartoon sketch instead? would that evidence be compelling enough?

agfisher
01-06-2005, 07:54 PM
Just wondering if you have a date or at least some teaser pictures for us to look at? I have a new laptop ( err, mobile desktop would be more accurate) and I want a new bag but by the sounds of it, the Super ego might be the only thing that will fit it.

Thanks

Adam

Darcy
01-10-2005, 03:11 PM
Soon, soon. It's almost done.

agfisher
01-10-2005, 05:26 PM
Great, thanks for the heads up. My new laptop eagerly awaits its new home!

Darcy
01-10-2005, 06:45 PM
If all goes well I should be able to post a picture by Friday...

agfisher
01-14-2005, 10:28 AM
So, we going to get some sneak peeks today? :)

Darcy
01-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Super Ego on Tom:

Darcy
01-14-2005, 01:48 PM
The back:

Darcy
01-14-2005, 01:52 PM
In Black/Black/Deep Blue with a Deep Blue stripe.

Moosecat
01-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Wow. The Super Ego looks very cool. (I am such a nerd for repeatedly checking for these pics today.)

Will the Ego slot between the ID and the Super Ego in size?

agfisher
01-14-2005, 03:10 PM
WOW, beautiful! So when can I buy it? :-D

Darcy
01-14-2005, 05:02 PM
It will be available for pre-order early next week. I'll post as soon as that is ready.

So you guys like the design? The stripe of color that is down the middle of the bag will be something, at this point in the design, that you can change. You could order different colored strips which are backed with velcro and change them yourself.

agfisher
01-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Thatís a great idea! What are the dimensions of two new bags, what size Brain Cells will they take? Thanks again!

Darcy
01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
I'll get you the dimensions on Monday.

For now, there will be no Ego, just the Super Ego. The Super Ego will hold all sizes of Brain Cell, including the 2XL.

maverick
01-14-2005, 10:35 PM
my first reaction to the pictures is that the cuts of the outside flap are edgy compared to the ID (http://www.tombihn.com/id/)
(which has rounded edges). that's not good or bad - just different. it's the first feature that caught my attention.

i really like the pocket on the side for the water bottle. the stripe of color looks very cool. where does the zipper on top lead? it would be nice to have a compartment there for files or books. i'd like to see more pictures of the inside.

very nice design guys! i can't wait to see more pictures.

maverick

Darcy
01-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by agfisher
What are the dimensions of two new bags,

Volume: 27 liters / 1680 cu.in
Height: 370 mm / 14.5"
Width: 435 mm / 17"
Thickness: 175 mm / 6.75"

Weight: 1115 gr / 2 lbs 7 oz.

Darcy
01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Available for pre-order now! Shipping mid-March.

http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0825

agfisher
01-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Quick Question, Im having a hard time figuring out all the different color combos on the Ego bag. If I pick Black/Crimson/Deep Blue, what does it look like? Am I right in assuming it's a black bag, with Crimson Flaps and a Deep Blue Strip? If that is so, when you order why to you pick a 4th color for the stripe? Sorry, guess I'm a bit confussed. Are we also going to be able to see some of the other color combinations? Thanks for your time.

Adam

Darcy
01-21-2005, 12:56 PM
I'm working on more pictures right now.

Sorry, that was a bit confusing. I've changed the product page to show that the color ways are: Main Body/Front Insets/Lining

Another way to look at it would be: All of the pictures show the Main Body/Front insets, but we don't yet have any pictures that show the lining.

agfisher
01-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Ahhh, makes much more sense! Thanks, and I'll order one as soon as I get a better idea on how the colors look together. Thanks again

jmahone
02-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Curious if more pictures of the color schemes and the inside details could make it to the website? I will be buying one, but don't want to pre-order until I see color combinations...

Thanks in advance!
Jerry

agfisher
02-08-2005, 09:19 AM
Me too!!!! I would love to see some more color combos

Darcy
02-08-2005, 01:25 PM
We're working on it!

Any specific pictures you'd like to see? As far as colors, the only outside colors will be Solid Black, Steel, or Crimson, and those are represented on the Super Ego (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0825) page. Would you like to see the interior color as well as the outside color? Or more pictures of the bag with different colored strips?

agfisher
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I'd love to see the interior. A couple of shots with the strips would be cool too. Thanks for the quick response.

jmahone
02-09-2005, 04:43 AM
I would love to see:

- closer shots of the front straight on with the three colors (steel, black, crimson) in order to better see the detail
- interior shots with attention on the pocket details in the various interior colors

Questions:
- Do the color combinations in the pulldown menu represent the complete list?
- Does the lining material line both the main compartment and the pocket under the flap?

Thanks so much,
Jerry

Moosecat
02-09-2005, 07:09 AM
I agree -- we need interior pictures. Also, maybe a picture of the bag stuffed with stuff. top open?

jmahone
02-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Not to be a pest, but as March approaches, I would love to have a better idea of what I am pre-ordering with some cool shots of the interior and color combinations.

Are we going to be treated to some nice additional shots of the SuperEgo?

Thanks!

Darcy
02-22-2005, 01:19 PM
I will be posting new pictures of the Super Ego on Friday.

jmahone
02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Just a check to see if the pictures had been posted. I didn't see them, but I may not have looked in all the right places...

Looking forward to the pics and the bag! I'll be placing my order as soon as I have a better idea of the insides and color combos!

Thanks,
Jerry

Darcy
02-28-2005, 03:22 PM
I'm working on them now. Sorry for the wait.

There are new pictures of the Empire Builder, though! See here:
http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0730

Darcy
03-01-2005, 11:55 AM
A few new pictures. More to come! (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0825)

jamesinslc
04-10-2005, 11:40 AM
How about a reflective tape stripe? That would be a nice touch for bike commuters. I also like that little plastic bike light loop on the bottom of the ID's strap. Does the Super Ego have one?

On another topic, most shoulder bags wear my back out by placing an asymmetric load on my shoulders. How well does the Super Ego's waist strap work for distributing the load onto your hips? The ID seems to do this quite well with light loads, but it's just not big enough for me. Could the Super Ego comfortably carry a laptop and a textbook without placing much of the weight on my shoulder?

Moosecat
04-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Am I correctly concluding from the Super Ego description on the site that there is no zipper pocket on the outside of the flap itself (a la ID Bag)?

I would love to have a little pocket there, as I use the one on my ID Bag all the time.

But, in the end, no matter: My wife has already ordered me a Super Ego for my birthday. She's keeping me in the dark about the colors.

And it's now early April: What's the shipment schedule look like?

Michael F
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
it's correct that there are no zippered pockets on the SUPER EGO flap itself, BUT there are uretek zippered pockets on either side of the bag that are directly underneath the flap which are easily accessable without unbuckling the flap.

as for availability, we received some bags from the factory last friday and shipped the bulk of the backorders. we'll be shipping the remaining backorders today and tomorrow, and should have bags available for everyone else no later than this wednesday (4/13). keep an eye on the web site!

we're very anxious to hear what people have to say about the new bag, so by all means please post your thoughts when you receive your SUPER EGO!

Darcy
04-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Customer comments on the Super Ego (http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=363)

jamesinslc

How about a reflective tape stripe? That would be a nice touch for bike commuters. I also like that little plastic bike light loop on the bottom of the ID's strap. Does the Super Ego have one?

A reflective tape strip is in the works. You should see one within a month.

The bike light you mentioned is an optional light that can be purchased separately with the ID or the Super Ego. On the Super Ego, it will attach to the front strip loops.

agfisher
04-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Doh! I just saw the seatbelt buckle. That wasn't an option when I bought mine! And it already shipped. :-( Oh well. Can't wait to get my Super Ego on Friday!

Moosecat
04-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Michael F
it's correct that there are no zippered pockets on the SUPER EGO flap itself, BUT there are uretek zippered pockets on either side of the bag that are directly underneath the flap which are easily accessable without unbuckling the flap.

as for availability, we received some bags from the factory last friday and shipped the bulk of the backorders. we'll be shipping the remaining backorders today and tomorrow, and should have bags available for everyone else no later than this wednesday (4/13). keep an eye on the web site!

we're very anxious to hear what people have to say about the new bag, so by all means please post your thoughts when you receive your SUPER EGO!

Woo-hoo! I see the status has changed to "in stock" on the product info page. That means my wife either (i) has my birthday present in hand, or (ii) will have it soon.

She won't tell me, and she won't give it to me before April 17th, which sucks. She also refuses to confirm or deny that it is, in fact, a Super Ego that she is giving me, but given our lengthy discussion of color choices, I suspect it is. So I'm planning what to put in each pocket.

Besides, even if it isn't, that will just give me an excuse to buy a Super Ego in addition to whatever else she gets me.

tostka
04-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Mine came in today. Very slick! I'm using it with a Dell i9300 17". I did a longish commentary with pictures over at notebookforums:
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=75902

_Very_ happy customer. Worth the wait.

The only surpising thing was that the SuperEgo doesn't have an option to replace the strap (while the BrainCell's do...). With a bag of this size, and the weight to be expected with the 17" laptops it can carry, some folks may want to opt for different straps.

But that's the only questionmark I've got. This is one heck of a bag for a good price.

ciparis
04-15-2005, 12:03 AM
I'd really like to see the Kiwi and Grape color combinations. Kiwi isn't on the color chart even. It also looked like Sapphire was missing from the 2XL brain cell (it's available in that color on the brain cell page, but not in the drop-down for the super ego).

I'm thinking of the black/kiwi/deep blue, with a sapphire 2XL...

Darcy
04-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by tostka
I did a longish commentary with pictures over at notebookforums:
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=75902

Cool review. Could we link to it on the Super Ego page?

rstokes
04-29-2005, 07:09 AM
I currently use the RoadWired Mega Media bag. It holds a lot of stuff, but I'm always looking to improve.

So, how big IS the SuperEgo bag? I'd need to carry the BrainCell 4 to house my laptop. Is that all that will fit in the zippered laptop compartment of the SuperEgo?

I understand there is an outside compartment on the back of the SuperEgo for files -- how thick a stack will that hold?

How much stuff will the "compartments" under the flap hold?

I've read the dimensions on the website, and length and height are bigger than the RoadWired bag, but it's hard to tell about depth. The printed depth for the SuperEgo is smaller that my RoadWired bag, but I'm measuring the RoadWired bag fully stuffed, so I don't know how that affects the comparison.

Any help would be appreciated!

Randy

tostka
04-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Darcy
Cool review. Could we link to it on the Super Ego page?

Absolutelyl!

Sorry, I hadn't been back to the forum since my prior post... Took awhile to see your request.

agfisher
06-15-2005, 05:43 PM
Well I've used the bag for awhile and I LOVE everything about it except one thing. The shoulder strap. Two things about it. I would like the option to be able to replace the strap with another one. Right now my bag with power supply, laptop, mouse, books etc weighs about 20 lbs. A more padded strap would be great. The other problem is some sort of a swivel on the strap. This would let me just throw the strap on my shoulder and let it work itself out. :-)

But please, don't get me wrong, I LOVE THIS bag and would by it over again!

Adam

jmahone
06-16-2005, 09:49 PM
Two things:
One, I completely agree with agfisher about the strap.
Two, I would have posted an exhaustive review of the Super Ego when I first got it back in mid-April, but tostka did it for me. I have the Dell 9200, which is almost identical to tostka's 9300.

So, the strap. The strap definitely gets twisted, which means I have to untwist it everytime I shoulder the bag. I have a TerraGrip shoulder strap on my 2XL Brain Cell (which my 9200 fits in perfectly, and in turn, fits the Super Ego perfectly), and love this strap. I just wish I could use it on the Super Ego itself. I would also love to have a cell/mp3 case that fits the Super Ego's strap; this would allow me to be more at peace with the Super Ego strap.

BTW, I chose the Black/Steel/Wasabi color combination, and I have a Wasabi buckle (never used) and a Blue seat buckle strap. I love the 747 buckle, and the Wasabi interior is awesome because I love the color and it keeps the interior light enough to see way down inside. I will never have a dark color interior on any future bags again for this reason.

Thanks for a great bag!
Jerry