PDA

View Full Version : denver anyone?

maverick
01-10-2011, 03:07 AM
hi folks!

i'm off to denver (http://www.denver.com/attractions/) later this month and need to finalize my travel plans. i've never been there, and am wondering if any of you are familiar with the place and might be able to recommend places to go. i'd like to add a day to my trip after i'm done with work for sightseeing - red rocks (http://www.denver.com/red-rocks/) looks very cool!

i'm planning on packing in the aeronaut and either a messenger bag or a backpack.

thanks!

Fat Crip
01-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Never been there I'm afraid, or anywhere your side of the pond, but you're quite right Red Rocks does look amazing though!

Climb14er
01-10-2011, 08:15 AM
Take a drive, go to Boulder on 36W, once there, make a left (west) on Canyon Blvd and drive this up Boulder Canyon to Nederland. Go North on the road (72) to Estes Park via (7), this is called the 'Peak to Peak' Highway. You'll be seeing fantastic views of the Indian Peaks all the way to Rocky Mountain National Park. Spend hours there, driving and walking, and remember to bring some warm clothes and drink a lot of water (before you get to Colorado due to altitude) Return via 7 to Lyons, then south to Boulder then back to Denver.

I take folks who are coming to Denver for the first time on the same above-mentioned road trip and they are blown away by the scenery and experience.

Sure, you could walk around downtown Denver, visit the Denver Mint, or hit the fantastic brew pubs like 'The Falling Rock Tap House'. Visit the Colorado Historical Museum on Broadway.

Enjoy.

Or you could head up into the mountains and see the 'real' attraction(s) of Colorado! ;)

maverick
01-10-2011, 08:25 AM
Take a drive, go to Boulder on 36W, once there, make a left (west) on Canyon Blvd and drive this up Boulder Canyon to Nederland. Go North on the road (72) to Estes Park via (7), this is called the 'Peak to Peak' Highway. You'll be seeing fantastic views of the Indian Peaks all the way to Rocky Mountain National Park. Spend hours there, driving and walking, and remember to bring some warm clothes and drink a lot of water (before you get to Colorado due to altitude) Return via 7 to Lyons, then south to Boulder then back to Denver.

I take folks who are coming to Denver for the first time on the same above-mentioned road trip and they are blown away by the scenery and experience.

Sure, you could walk around downtown Denver, visit the Denver Mint, or hit the fantastic brew pubs like 'The Falling Rock Tap House'. Visit the Colorado Historical Museum on Broadway.

Enjoy.

Or you could head up into the mountains and see the 'real' attraction(s) of Colorado! ;)

thanks Climb14er! i love the outdoors!

how cold does it get up there so i know what to pack?

AVService
01-10-2011, 09:28 AM
I would second the route Climb14er suggests and Boulder is truly a sight in its own right.

You could also head to Golden and experience a little taste of that area.
You also can really be in the mountains quickly if you want to explore and there are lots of interesting things in Denver itself.
I am told they have the most park land of any city in the country.
The food is great and I wouldn't rule out a trip to the "Springs" either.
Just depends upon time and inclination.

It can be very cold and windy but it can also be moderate there that time of year.
I like to be prepared and bring some heavy clothes just in case.
Actually I go in the summer and fall mostly as the weather is so spectacular.
We spend Thanksgiving there and it can be really warm or very nippy,sometimes in the same day!

Sounds like fun.

Ed

PM4HIRE
01-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Checkout this website below for places to eat when
traveling: http://chowhound.chow.com/boards?tag=chow_header_inner;header_logo

Climb14er
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
thanks Climb14er! i love the outdoors!

how cold does it get up there so i know what to pack?

Temps vary this time of year. As long as the sun is out, things warm up nicely and by that I mean... it might be twenty to thirty degrees but when in the sunshine, you feel comfortable in wool sweater, merino wool zip T, warm turtleneck, merino wool underwear, lightweight long johns, etc.

I always dress in layers, keep a Stetson or other hat on my head in all seasons and an Icebreaker wool beanie is almost always with me. Bring light/moderate gloves wool socks, good boots/shoes, trail runners, etc and don't forget your sunglasses and some sunscreen as if you're outside, it's VERY bright up at altitude.

I'm outside A LOT and have done a substantial amount of climbing and mountaineering and in Colorado, the sun and wind dictate the 'comfort' level as to what to wear.

I see people taking HUGE down coats and then try to hike and walk distances and they overheat immensely. That's why layers are advantageous.

Hydrate BEFORE you get here drink tons of water once you're here. It's unbelievably DRY in Denver and even more so at altitude. Bring some aspirin/advil or whatever pain reliever you normally take as this aids in averting altitude sickness.

Denver is great, downtown is fun, the beers here are the best anywhere in the U.S. as this IS the center of the microbrew industry and where it all began. The Vietnamese food is TOPS here and the Mexican is absolutely delicious.

If you're staying downtown, WALK around and get a feel for the area. I've been here in Denver for thirty six years and have climbed all over the state and climbed all of the 14,000 ft peaks, many of the technical 13,000 and 12,000 ones too. Estes park is a BEAUTIFUL area and DO get out on at least one of the trails, like Glacier Gorge, Bear Lake, etc.

I recognize that you only have a little time to spend and if the weather is A-OK, head to the mountains as mentioned.

Right now, it's downright COLD but this will pass in a couple of days. I've been up high on the peaks in late January and if a warming trend has hit the area, it'll feel downright incredible at 10,000+ feet.

Send me a PM if you have any additional questions or post 'em here.

Moose
01-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi Maverick,
If you have time head west out of Denver to Idaho Springs. There's a great pizza place there, BeauJo's I think its called. Great whole wheat crust. Estes Park is wonderful. As Climber14 suggested, drink lots and lots of water. This coupled with your OTC pain killer of choice will help a lot. I lived in Colorado Springs for 30 years and have still have family there. If you run out of travel time for road trips the Botanical Gardens in Denver are worth a visit. If its possible DIA at night is pretty amazing too. Did I mention drink lots of water? If you even think maybe you're getting a headache head for the pain meds, don't wait until you're sure.
Take it easy and enjoy, its beautiful country.
Moose

Colorado
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
I'll put a bid in for my hometown of Colorado Springs--90 minutes or so south of Denver. The Garden of the Gods is beautiful--a very pretty for a driving tour or for some on-foot explorations. You can take the cog railway to the top of Pikes Peak--it runs year round now. Manitou Springs, at the base of the Peak, is a cute, slightly quirky, town with some good food (Adam's Mountain Cafe and The Loop are very good).

Lived in Boulder and Denver for years--both are great and, at least for me, more politically tolerable, though that isn't likely a problem in the short term. :-) All the above suggestions are good. Boulder is fun and the views up the canyon into Nederland are nice. Estes Park and the drive to it from Boulder is very pretty. I don't find Golden all that interesting personally.

Dress in layers, drink a lot of water, and not too much alcohol--it hits you harder at a mile up.

If I had a day I would either up to Boulder or down to the Springs. I think Estes might be kind of far for a day trip.

http://www.cograilway.com/
http://www.gardenofgods.com/home/index.cfm?flash=1

maverick
01-11-2011, 10:10 AM
thanks folks! i'm looking forward to getting out there, and hope to have some pictures to share when i return!

BPritchard
01-12-2011, 10:16 AM
We've flown into the Denver airport on a couple of our trips out west.
One excellent feature is they have shops and different eating establishments in the concourse area.
You do not have to return to the main airport area and go through security again.

maverick
01-23-2011, 09:16 PM
hi folks!

i'm here in denver!

i had a lovely trip out here!

this is the first time i've flown since they implemented the body scanners. however, the entire experience was quite pleasant. i had a nice chat with the security officer while i was waiting to have my documents checked at washington dulles airport (IAD). there were just a couple of people ahead of me. we talked about vegan food - i was carrying a box with vegan mac and cheese and boolgogi that i had picked up at cafe green in washington, dc earlier this afternoon.

i was flying southwest and checked in on my iphone. it presented me with a boarding pass on my iphone which i presented to security. but they couldn't accept it because there was no bar code. so i went back upstairs and got a printed boarding pass and came back down. sometimes, technology gets in the way more than it helps. :)

the security officer told me to go to the shortest of the lines to go through security. there were no body scanners - just the metal detectors. i guess they are still in the process of rolling out the body scanners (something i would choose to opt out of, not wanting to expose myself to unnecessary radiation).

i was traveling with my 11" macbook air inside a cache (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0350), which was inside an imago (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0810) messenger bag. and that imago messenger bag was inside an aeronaut (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0906). a clear quarter packing cube (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/TBP/TB0915) held my toiletries in an end pocket of the aeronaut.

i pulled out the clear quarter packing cube when i went through security, but the imago, cache, and macbook air stayed inside. the tsa says that ipads and the macbook air do not need to be removed for inspection. i was glad to find this to indeed be the case.

the flight was fine - filled with sarcastic commentary that is customary on southwest airlines, making the usually mundane announcements that you get when you're taking off a little more bearable. :)

i checked into my hotel and went to a near by whole foods to pick up some groceries. i haven't gotten any headaches. it is dry here, and i am drinking plenty of water. amazingly, it's warmer here by about 15 degrees than it was in dc!

folks here are very friendly and very chatty! i'm glad to be here!

ams123
01-24-2011, 05:04 AM
Interesting about the ipad and macbook not needing to be removed from your bag. I have a kindle and 10" netbook, and I have gotten conflicting responses from security each time I fly. I usually pack them both in a packing cube and security has objected to that because they say this makes them look "too dense" and they can't tell what they are on the xray machine when they are in my luggage. How did you have your ipad and macbook packed?

Colorado
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Enjoy Colorado. I've lived here for 12 years and really can't imagine being anywhere else (well maybe the Northwest--and not just to be closer to the store). I hope you have a great time.

maverick
01-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Interesting about the ipad and macbook not needing to be removed from your bag. I have a kindle and 10" netbook, and I have gotten conflicting responses from security each time I fly. I usually pack them both in a packing cube and security has objected to that because they say this makes them look "too dense" and they can't tell what they are on the xray machine when they are in my luggage. How did you have your ipad and macbook packed?

hi ams123!

yes, i think it really depends on the security officer. when i travelled last may with my ipad (which i no longer have), i was asked to remove it from the ristretto in which i was carrying it as i went through security.

i had the macbook air inside the cache, which was inside the imago, which was inside the aeronaut.

i'll let you know what happens as i go through security here in denver on the way back.

maverick
01-25-2011, 06:55 AM
Enjoy Colorado. I've lived here for 12 years and really can't imagine being anywhere else (well maybe the Northwest--and not just to be closer to the store). I hope you have a great time.

hi Colorado!

it's beautiful here! i have a lovely view of the rockies on my way to the office (which is near the intersection of south quebec and east orchard in greenwood village). it was still light out when i left the office, so i drove down east orchard towards the mountains, through littleton, and then into some lovely neighborhoods (i'm not sure exactly where i ended up, as i had driven until it was dark). i was surprised at the long drive back to the hotel. i made my way back along co route 470 to route 25 and had some traffic along the way.

today is another day of meetings, and then on wednesday, i'll plan on getting an early start to the day. i need to be back at the airport by about 4:30pm to return the rental car and make my 6pm flight.

i still need to decide exactly where i am going on wednesday - there are so many love places to see, i feel like i need a month here!

i probably drank 4 liters of water yesterday, but my sinuses are feeling the dryness. no headaches fortunately. :)

Climb14er
01-25-2011, 07:03 AM
hi folks!

i checked into my hotel and went to a near by whole foods to pick up some groceries. i haven't gotten any headaches. it is dry here, and i am drinking plenty of water. amazingly, it's warmer here by about 15 degrees than it was in dc!

folks here are very friendly and very chatty! i'm glad to be here!

Let me guess, if you're in a hotel nearby a Whole Foods and in Denver, I'd venture to say you're at the Lowes Georgio on Colorado Blvd. Or the hotel on Hampden Blvd, the Embassy Suites, as the Whole Foods is near there too. Just guess mind you. ;)

I go to either of those Whole Foods, or the one in Cherry Creek. You could also be at that really neat swanky hotel there in Cherry Creek next to Whole Foods. LOL

Though the Georgio is not bad by any means, far from it. ;)

Have fun!

maverick
01-25-2011, 12:32 PM
Let me guess, if you're in a hotel nearby a Whole Foods and in Denver, I'd venture to say you're at the Lowes Georgio on Colorado Blvd. Just guess mind you. ;)

I go to either the Whole Foods there, or the one in Cherry Creek. You could also be at that really neat swanky hotel there in Cherry Creek. LOL

Though the Georgio is not bad by any means, far from it. ;)

Have fun!

heh - i'm actually at the staybridge suites surrounded by a bunch of other extended stay hotels. i wanted a place with a kitchen, so it fits my needs that way. it's not a fancy hotel, but it's alright.

i tried to do this with a residence inn in philadelphia and was rather disappointed. it just hadn't been kept up. so i moved to the sofitel, which, while it lacks a kitchen, was quite comfortable, spacious and clean otherwise.

it's hard to generalize a statement about many of these chains - it just depends on how they've been kept up. i've stayed at the residence inn and the townplace suites in fayetteville, nc, and they're relatively new hotels and they have a great feel about them. but the residence inn in philadelphia wasn't at all the same.

the loews looks really nice. i'll look into that the next time i'm here!

i was a bit surprised to find that there was a security guard at the whole foods i went to - about 5 miles from my hotel up route 25 towards the airport.

maverick
01-25-2011, 11:07 PM

hi!

i've been at a loss as to what exactly to do. there are so many wonderful recommendations from all of you and the folks here in denver. if i had known how beautiful this place is (and mind you, i haven't been up into the mountains yet), i would have planned to stay into the weekend. i think i could easily spend a month here and not get bored!

i think i'm good to go for tomorrow with 3 layers top and bottom (base layer top and bottom, fleece pants, wind pants, and 60g primaloft top and 100g primaloft top). i have gloves, hat, sunscreen, 4 liters of water, some fruit, and energy bars. i also rented snow shoes at rei (that i need to take back).

i've tried to map the route you described in google map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=7150+S+Clinton+Street,+Centennial,+CO+80112&daddr=Canyon+Blvd+%26+U.+S.+36,+Boulder,+CO+to:Ned erland,+CO+to:Estes+Park,+CO+to:40.210635,-105.523152+to:Lyons,+CO+to:9637+E+County+Line+Rd+E nglewood+CO+80112+to:Denver+International+Airport+ (DEN),+8500+Pe%C3%B1a+Blvd,+Denver,+Colorado+80249&geocode=Fb4IXAIdmLG_-SG4KDggUlHRyg%3BFcOdYgIdKOK5-Sn19AwX0e1rhzEqxwMSokED8g%3BFSDDYQIdUQi2-SlbUkVOxMZrhzGyTOyqmFxkjQ%3BFXYbaAId_921-SkDGhm71mVphzEMrMqpt5iW2w%3BFcuQZQIdMNi1-Snto-0ElthrhzEu_aFwnzghlQ%3BFcTHZQIdrq-5-SmrLEMr9N9rhzEKbCRjeDOqjw%3BFeHGWwId2Le_-Sl53K3CuIVshzEubJuP_UhLDA%3BFSgOYAIdwM3C-SlFb-oT_WdshzG1iQByZdQOPg&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&via=4&sll=39.97208,-105.108435&sspn=0.886121,2.081909&ie=UTF8&ll=39.97208,-105.108435&spn=0.886121,2.081909&t=h&z=9). let me know if that looks right.

my concern is that it puts me in the car for about 5 hours. i am going to start out around 6am tomorrow, and i need to be at the airport by 4:30pm. that gives me about 5 hours to get out there and explore and take pictures. i don't know if that's good, or if it will go by in a flash.

also, one of the guys at rei suggested driving to echo lake (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=7150+S+Clinton+Street+Centennial,+CO+80112&daddr=39.65791,-105.603139+to:REI,+9637+E+County+Line+Rd+Englewood +CO+80112+to:Denver+International+Airport+(DEN),+8 500+Pe%C3%B1a+Blvd,+Denver,+Colorado+80249&hl=en&geocode=Fb4IXAIdmLG_-Sk1CnOA2YVshzG6egA2VccwJQ%3BFbYhXQIdvZ-0-Q%3BFS_GWwIdAbi_-SEo-C_vIKoksw%3BFSgOYAIdwM3C-SlFb-oT_WdshzG1iQByZdQOPg&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=39.707187,-105.146027&sspn=0.444783,1.040955&ie=UTF8&ll=39.707187,-105.146027&spn=0.444783,1.040955&t=h&z=10), which is about an hour and 15 minutes away, and makes my total time in the car about 3 hours for the day. there are a few trails accessible from echo lake - chicago lakes trail, captain mountain trail, rest house trail. what do you think about this option?

is what i'm describing too ambitious for someone who hasn't hiked at these altitudes and in deep snow before? i can just see it - the local denver news coverage on thursday tells a story of an overly ambitious - no - clueless - man with beautiful crimson colored tom bihn bag lost in the snows of the rocky mountains...

thank you all again!

maverick
01-26-2011, 06:29 PM
let me first start by thanking all of you for your wonderful recommendations!

i did the outing that climb14er recommended - except that i came back via route 36 rather than on route 7 from estes park.

i want to describe what i saw, but words fail me. i will share pictures, but they will fail to describe the majestic beauty that resides here.

if you haven't been to denver, put it on your short list of places to visit!

the east coast got hit with a snow storm, so i'm spending the night at a hotel near the airport and hopefully getting on an 8am flight tomorrow that i got rebooked on.

i didn't need the snow shoes. in hindsight, i wish i hadn't rented them at rei - because going back to return them and then making my way back to the airport took away about 40 minutes form my day. but i wasn't sure what to expect and so i played it safe.

i also wish i'd known my flight was going to be canceled - i could have spent more time out there today.

i need to go find some dinner. i'll post some pictures later this evening...

maverick
01-26-2011, 09:05 PM
i posted the pictures here (http://forums.tombihn.com/showthread.php?t=3504).

maverick
01-26-2011, 09:13 PM
hi ams123!

yes, i think it really depends on the security officer. when i travelled last may with my ipad (which i no longer have), i was asked to remove it from the ristretto in which i was carrying it as i went through security.

i had the macbook air inside the cache, which was inside the imago, which was inside the aeronaut.

i'll let you know what happens as i go through security here in denver on the way back.

hi ams123,

my experience at denver international airport this evening was a little different from the one i had at washington dulles airport when i flew out here.

they had the full body scanners in the security line i picked. i saw some security lines had the old metal detectors - i'll pick my line more carefully tomorrow morning. i opted out of the body scan and instead went through the metal detector in the line next to mine. they did a pat down afterwards. far more thorough than what i've experienced anyplace else (pat downs are standard when you go through security in new delhi, india, but they are nothing like this). i think a child would be terrified being subjected to this.

i wasn't carrying the imago in the aeronaut this time. i didn't pull the macbook air out. i also forgot to pull out the liquids. they didn't like that. one security officer checked the end compartment of the aeronaut where the liquids were, and the other one checked the imago.

interestingly, both at dulles and at denver, they overlooked the fact that i had a safety razor with a blade inside. i realized this when i got to denver, and i had meant to toss it before flying back. i'm going to toss it now should they actually notice it when i go through security tomorrow morning...

lotuseater
02-14-2011, 01:51 PM
What a difference a week made. A couple of days after you left we hit 71F. By the following Tuesday it was -9F as the high. Then by the Friday it was back in the 40s. The chinook winds coming off the Rockies can cause huge swings in temperatures in a relatively short time.