Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

Synapse as Hurricane Evacuation Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SusanA
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2010

Synapse as Hurricane Evacuation Kit

Since I may have to evacuate from where I live due to flooding from Irene, this morning I packed a flashlight, radio (2 radios, actually), emergency neccessities, and toiletries and clothes to last three days into my Synapse and brought it to work with me. There was even room to spare! I have the option to stay with friends who live on higher ground and the Synapse plus my Imago as my EDC handled all my needs and I know I have good, sturdy bags.

My hope now is that everyone affected by Irene this weekend comes through safe and sound!
  • Darcy
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
    • May 2003

Stay safe, SusanA! Glad you have a place to stay on higher ground.
    Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• Lani
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2009

I'm with Darcy. Please stay safe. I hope your home isn't damaged or hit too hard!

Don't know what you have in your "emergency necessities" but extra batteries, a pair of work gloves, and water are good to have with you!

-- Lani, who lives in earthquake country

Comment

• Sera
        Forum Member
        • Jan 2011

Definitely best to plan ahead, SusanA! I'm glad you're ready to go if it comes to that. Stay safe!
        Ego in Cardinal/Steel, Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi, Side Effect in Plum/Wasabi, Imago in Navy/Cork/Wasabi, Cafe Bags in Azalea, Turquoise, and Linen, TB Wallet, misc. pouches, and son's Brain Bag in Steel

Comment

• ncb4
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lani View Post
          I'm with Darcy. Please stay safe. I hope your home isn't damaged or hit too hard!

Don't know what you have in your "emergency necessities" but extra batteries, a pair of work gloves, and water are good to have with you!

-- Lani, who lives in earthquake country
          Except this week, Lani, Virginia is both earthquake AND hurricane country.

Comment

• ncb4
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by SusanA View Post
            Since I may have to evacuate from where I live due to flooding from Irene, this morning I packed a flashlight, radio (2 radios, actually), emergency neccessities, and toiletries and clothes to last three days into my Synapse and brought it to work with me. There was even room to spare! I have the option to stay with friends who live on higher ground and the Synapse plus my Imago as my EDC handled all my needs and I know I have good, sturdy bags.

My hope now is that everyone affected by Irene this weekend comes through safe and sound!
            SusanA, I'm glad you have a place to go, and I echo your hopes that everyone in Irene's path stays safe and well. I have lots of family in Virginia (Newport News, Williamsburg, Richmond, and Charlottesville), so I'm keeping in close touch with them. My elderly parents are in Maine, where Irene is also supposed to hit later this weekend. No way to get up there now to help them, with so many flights canceled.

Post back when you can and let us know how you fared. Take care!

Comment

• TXGirl
              Forum Member
              • Apr 2011

Stay safe SusanA!
              Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

Comment

• jaon
                Forum Member
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ncb4 View Post
                Except this week, Lani, Virginia is both earthquake AND hurricane country.
                Yes, and so it New Jersey. Fortunately we are inland. We're near the Delaware, but up high. It's being an odd week.
                Indigo/Black Swift, Kiwi little Swift, Indigo Side Effect, Punch Small Cafe bag, Plum Clear Organizer Wallet, Tall Yarn Stuff sacks in Solar and Steel,

Comment

• Walker
                  Forum Member
                  • May 2011

I join everyone in hopes that everyone affected by the hurricane & earthquake remain safe.

Comment

• AVService
                    Forum Member
                    • May 2006

I started the week in South Florida and have left my truck there 1/2 block from the ocean....then I have been in Cape Cod all the rest of the week.

So I have a Tip for everyone,

Stay away from where I go,I think Irene is following me?!?

Now I am in Ohio having escaped(i hope!) the "cone".

I also have my Synapse,Super Ego and maiden voyage of the Tri-Star so how bad can it be?

Good Luck and stay on High Ground.

Ed

Comment

• amw
                      Forum Member
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by AVService View Post

Stay away from where I go,I think Irene is following me?!?

Ed
                      You don't have any plans to be in Illinois next month, do you?

Comment

• PM4HIRE
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2006

Synapse makes a neat bug out bag (BOB).
                        Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA

Travel Lite & Smart

Comment

• mattfusf
                          Forum Member
                          • Sep 2010

Hope you are safe. My new Aeronaut got its first packing for a similar purpose, but thankfully we didn't have to leave and today all is well in our neighborhood.

Its amazing how much stuff will fit in there; 3-4 days of clothes for my wife and I fit very easily. Looking forward to using it for its more intended purpose (biz trip) next month.

--Matt

Comment

• SusanA
                            Forum Member
                            • Sep 2010

Thanks, everyone, for all of your kind thoughts. Things are getting back to normal. I was very fortunate: I am fine; I spent an afternoon cleaning up my yard and then only had to deal with the relatively minor inconvenience of no power, no phone, and very disrupted cell service. I have numerous friends who had much more damage, but we all agree that it could have been much worse.

Now, about the Synapse: I concur with everyone who has expressed amazement at how much this small backpack will hold. I have never tried to fill it before and I didn't even fill it this time. I had everything I needed and could have put in another couple of days worth of clothing. I would not hesitate to pack this bag for a casual weekend trip. Even though I really didn't need another backpack I ended up purchasing my Synapse because I was so entranced by the elegance of its design. It is easy to pack, easy to organize, and still lightweight. Because I had left my car in a safe area and because we were cut off by fallen trees and power lines on Sunday morning I had to walk about a mile with my Synapse and Imago - no problem - it hardly felt like I was carrying anything at all. This bag is definitely a keeper!

Thanks, again, for all the kind wishes.

Originally posted by ncb4 View Post
                            I have lots of family in Virginia (Newport News, Williamsburg, Richmond, and Charlottesville), so I'm keeping in close touch with them. My elderly parents are in Maine, where Irene is also supposed to hit later this weekend. No way to get up there now to help them, with so many flights canceled.
                            ncb4 - Did your family all make it through okay?

Comment

Working...
                            X