Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,284   Posts: 197,836   Members: 7,231   Active Members: 188
Welcome to our newest member, txtrigg.

e. u. bans backscatter body scanners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maverick
    Volunteer *********
    • Mar 2004

e. u. bans backscatter body scanners

hi folks!

body scanners have made their way into airports across the u.s. a number of these use x-ray, and others use millimeter-wave technology.

the e.u. has banned these machines over concerns that the x-ray radiation exposure and associated cancer risks may not be as insignificant as originally purported.

the e.u. is using millimeter-wave scanners, which have not been identified ask having a link to cancer.

EU Bans Airport X-Ray Machines

EU Bans Airport X-Ray Scanners Over Health Concerns | Mother Jones

regardless of the type of body scanner used, you can opt for a pat down rather than risk exposure to any sort of radiation. for children, because their body mass is smaller, the risk may be more substantive.

give yourself plenty of time when clearing airport security. i try to get into the line that has the old metal detector and not the new body scanners. if you do end up in a line that has a body scanner, tell them you don't want to be scanned. they will get someone to pat you down. i once had to wait some time at the security line for someone to come and perform the pat down - this is why you want to make sure you have plenty of time.

also be aware that if you've traveled through other places where a pat down is common, like in india, the folks who perform pat downs in the u.s. can be a tad more thorough.

happy travels!
    -m
  • Frank II
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2009

Well, Mav, don't expect anything new anytime soon. ONe part of Congress wants to do away with TSA, another wants to expand the power of its leader:

congressional report slams tsa - USATODAY.com

Radiation, groping, molesting children and seniors, being abusive to passengers....all in the name of preventing a terrorist attack which, BTW, TSA hasn't done in its 10 years of existence.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• GEOcycle
      Forum Member
      • Oct 2011

I honestly felt weird after the two times I've decided to use the scanners ... the majority of the time, luckily, I've been able to use the regular metal detectors. Yeah, it might be completely in my head, but why even that? Hopefully the next time I have to fly in the US, the machines will all be gone ... along with the TSA.

A fun article from The Economist - What's the TSA's current failure rate?

I completely agree with the following quote:

"Exactly two things have made airplane travel safer since 9/11: reinforcing the cockpit door, and convincing passengers they need to fight back. Everything else has been a waste of money." A Waste of Money and Time

Yagh! Ok, no ranting. Good to see some sensibility from the E.U.
      Expat living in Japan
      iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!

Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Comment

• misterN
        Forum Member
        • Mar 2011

I must say--I do not travel a lot so I haven't had to use the full body scanners at all. I've never had any problems with the TSA--perhaps Milwaukee isn't too bad. When I was in Phoenix coming back to Milwaukee I did get swabbed for gun powder residue/explosives.
        Super Ego w/Seat Belt Buckle [Black/Steel/Wasabi], Cadet 13/15 [Cardinal/Steel], Aeronaut 45 [Cardinal/Steel], 13" Ristretto (Old) [Olive/Cayenne], Synapse 19 [Indigo/Iberian], Camera I/O, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Comment

• GEOcycle
          Forum Member
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by misterN View Post
          I must say--I do not travel a lot so I haven't had to use the full body scanners at all. I've never had any problems with the TSA--perhaps Milwaukee isn't too bad. When I was in Phoenix coming back to Milwaukee I did get swabbed for gun powder residue/explosives.
          Milwaukee & Madison I haven't had any issues. O'Hare I wish I could avoid at all costs, BWI was uninspiring. Heathrow was simple every time I've been through there, same with Edinburgh. Tokyo, Nagoya, all the airports in Japan so face have been the best - up there with Madison as far as easy.

No liquid limitations for domestic Japan travel either. However, if you have electronics, it will be Xrayed - that's about it. Couldn't be simpler.
          Expat living in Japan
          iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!

Now ... what else do I "need" ...

Comment

• nukediver
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2011

I've been through these scanners a bunch of times when I've flown out of Newark (EWR), and have had no problems. The flap about the backscatter scanners is another example of society's misplaced utter fear of everything to do with radiation. I've been a Health Physicist my whole career, making it my business to protect people and the environment from harmful amounts of radiation. While I agree with @GEOCycle on what a waste of time and money the TSA has been, I wish people would stop worrying about these devices. My pet peeve is that no one ever mentions the fact (yes, fact) that every time you fly you are exposed to cosmic radiation, at higher levels than these scanners emit. For a bit more perspective, this article from Idaho State , or this Q and A might be of use.

Stepping off soap box now :-)
            Eat well, travel often.

Comment

Working...
            X