PDA

View Full Version : Under seat bag storage

Moose
12-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Ok, this might be goofy, but does anyone think sliding their bag under an airline seat is just, well, gross?
I travel with my Synapse and stash it under the seat in front of me but I hate it. Heaven only knows what's been under that seat. If I then put it on my back all that gaack is now on my clothes. I could stash it on its front but that never seems to work and the gaack is still there.
Now, I'm not normally a germ-a-phobe or anything but it just seems really nasty. Anybody else ever wonder about this?
Thanks,
Moose

Frank II
12-05-2011, 02:08 AM
If you're that worried, bring some disposable towels to put on the carpeting and then put your Synapse on top. Take the towel with you when you leave and throw it out in the terminal.

Now, the seatback pocket....talk about gross. Never put anything in it. They are rarely cleaned. And the tray tables. Not cleaned between trips. I take a disposable disinfecting towel to wipe the tray down. As well as any other device for games, entertainment, etc.

dorayme
12-05-2011, 06:37 AM
I don't travel much, and hadn't given it a second thought, but now that you mention it I'm squicked out by it! I'm going to have to figure out a version of Frank's disposable towel idea. I'm thinking a washable towel that I can fold into its own pouch to allow safe transport inside my bag without cross contaminating everything. Eeeeewwwww just thinking about it has me wanting to gag.

Jenne
12-05-2011, 07:55 AM
I read a horrible story about a person flying Spirit whose personal item was, umm, violated when the kid in front of her got airsick. (I have flown Spirit once; never again; and neither plane had airsickness bags, so obviously, this could happen again.) I will probably never put my item under the seat in front of me again. I'll tuck my Kindle and iPhone into my Side Effect and keep everything else in the overhead bin.

Don't mean to gross anyone else out, but flying Spirit was such an awful experience, and then to read that.... I had to rethink everything!

rabergnc
12-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I would not feel too comfortable about the overhead bins either. You don't know where they have been or what has been up there! Best solution - no luggage at all. Buy everything where you get there !>))

Katy
12-05-2011, 10:40 AM
If you're that worried, bring some disposable towels to put on the carpeting and then put your Synapse on top. Take the towel with you when you leave and throw it out in the terminal.

Now, the seatback pocket....talk about gross. Never put anything in it. They are rarely cleaned. And the tray tables. Not cleaned between trips. I take a disposable disinfecting towel to wipe the tray down. As well as any other device for games, entertainment, etc.

Eeeeeeewwww!

Enough, enough enough! I'm never flying againnnnn.

backpack
12-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Commercial airlines' planes are public transport just as trains, metros, trams and buses are.

This is why one wears long pants/skirts and long sleeves tops, even in hot weather, when one has to board one or more public transports vehicles.

The only alternative is to drive a private car, fly a private plane and pay the gas companies for the privilege.

I wonder why I am not surprise Spirit has no sick bags and is unpleasant to fly with, the CEO went on Undercover Boss and proved to be, like most of the CEOs featured on the series, incapable of accomplishing the most basic tasks required to run his company.
Most of the guest CEO's had a paternalistic attitude and glaring ignorance of workplace safety.

Cleaning is the most important job in every public place or mode of transportation. I still don't understand why city halls are gleaming with gorgeous marble while bus, trains and tram are seldom deep cleaned. Many people without homes, ride the public transports non stop during service hours, as it provides warmth and security. People who are not given sick days, ride sick.
In an ideal world, each bus and train/tram car should be steam cleaned everyday, it doesn't happen in most countries.

Badger
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
I throw all my crap* in a plastic bag and use the bag as an in-seat pocket or under-seat area prophylactic. Then when I get off the plane I put all my stuff into my other bag and toss the plastic bag. I do tie it shut as well because I am totally afraid of someone throwing up on it. If I'm flying domestically and I know I have laundry facilities, I use my reusable shopping bag.

Also, I disinfect the tray by wiping hand sanitizer all over it. I'm kind of thinking about carrying some disposable alcohol wipes for this upcoming trip though.

* by which I mean my belongings; in the context of this particular discussion, perhaps there might be some confusion.

Lani
12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

Isn't that kind of wasteful?

I'd recommend a trash bag instead. Stick your carry-on inside, with the opening facing you. That way you can easily go in and take items out.... and should anyone get sick in the seat in front of you, your bag is protected!

daisy
12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I'd recommend a trash bag instead. Stick your carry-on inside, with the opening facing you. That way you can easily go in and take items out.... and should anyone get sick in the seat in front of you, your bag is protected!

or you can lend .. er... give them the trash bag :-)

Frank II
12-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Isn't that kind of wasteful?

I'm talking about a couple of sheets of Bounty-like towels. No more wasteful than a garbage bag which if it's sitting on the floor you probably don't want to pack in your carry-on and reuse.

BTW, it was the CEO of Frontier Airlines, not Spirit who was on Undercover Boss.

Katy
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
BTW, it was the CEO of Frontier Airlines, not Spirit who was on Undercover Boss.

Secret shame television show.. I could watch that FOREVER.

daisy
12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
I was amazed at how much rubbish people left behind on a recent trip. I looked into the seats as I exited the plane and the mess was incredible.

I guess I'm a bit odd - I don't generate much mess anyway but I put any rubbish into the empty bag from the blanket (long haul flight) and leave my seat otherwise rubbish free. Partly because I don't think staff should have to clean up a scene of devastation and partly to make sure I've not left anything behind.

As far as luggage cleanliness goes .. wheeled bags are the worst ... (if you're squeamish stop reading now) ... I checked into a very nice hotel and spent ages looking for the smell - yep it was the wheels of my spinner. Let's just say that some folks in that town don't clean up after their pooch....

I spent about 15 minutes in the shower with the bag and hand shower cleaning the wheels ... I was extra careful after that.

Given that the wheeled carry-ons tend to go in the overhead .. from that experience the underseat is going to be a better bet.

Moose
12-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Wow, I came home thinking I might have a reply or two only to find twelve. I've been thinking about using my rain cover, backwards, over the back of my pack. I can easily wash the rain cover. I too wipe down the tray table, I wash my counters and table at home so that seems reasonable to me. Dorayme, I love it, "squicked out", may I quote you? Daisy, I may never again use the overhead bins either. Thanks everyone, it seems I may not be completly alone in this one.
Take care,
Moose

malamalama
12-05-2011, 09:03 PM
but does anyone think sliding their bag under an airline seat is just, well, gross?

Not until I read this thread... The seatback pocket sounds worse, though.

misterN
12-06-2011, 06:26 AM
After reading this thread--I think I'm pretty glad I only fly once or twice a year. Going back to pointedly ignoring any other responses in this thread for sake of my sanity and keeping my breakfast down. :(

misterN
12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
After reading this thread--I think I'm pretty glad I only fly once or twice a year. Going back to pointedly ignoring any other responses in this thread for sake of my sanity and keeping my breakfast down. :(

JEFF! YOU SABOTAGED ME WITH YOUR LIKE :P

jeffmac
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Not sabotage! More like a thank you for keeping from going back a page and reading anymore.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss...and I have to get back on a plane tomorrow!

Jenne
12-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I'm glad I'm not flying again until April. Plenty of time to forget this thread ever happened.

Just
12-07-2011, 03:38 AM
Can I "like" this whole entire thread? I'm rolling, here...

ncb4
12-07-2011, 06:31 AM
Ewwwww! I may have to swaddle myself and all my bags in Saran Wrap before I get on a plane again. And my son is arriving this evening from across the Atlantic after sixteen hours on two planes. After reading this thread, I'm thinking I should decontaminate him before I allow him in the car, much less hug him. :o

Badger
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Ewwwww! I may have to swaddle myself and all my bags in Saran Wrap before I get on a plane again. And my son is arriving this evening from across the Atlantic after sixteen hours on two planes. After reading this thread, I'm thinking I should decontaminate him before I allow him in the car, much less hug him. :o

OK, true story: the first time we went to Italy, one of our suitcases apparently exploded in the cargo hold. It was a Samsonite so the case was actually just fine (so I'm not exactly sure what happened); however, the Italian baggage handlers just stuffed everything back in and wrapped loads of shrink wrap around it--instead of just zipping it shut?--like I said, I have no idea. When we complained at the British Airways counter, we said, "Why is our suitcase wrapped in plastic?" The lady replied, and I quote: "Wrapped in plastic? No problem." That has been a catchphrase in the Badger household for over four years.

Maria
12-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I'm a "germa-a-phobe" - and reading this makes me glad I always carry Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, and even spare plastic bags! I don't put my bags in the overhead bin, and usually place a plastic bag on the undersea area and put my bags on top of that. Or maybe even "in" the plastic bag.

A friend worked as a plane cleaner ages ago. He warned me never ever put your hands in the seat pocket in front of you - if you must use it, carry plastic baggies and place your necessities in that and place the plastic baggy kind of in the front of the seat pocket with the top of the baggie sticking out over the edge. Also, people put their suitcases and bags on the public bathroom floors - even when - shall we say - there are other things on the floor in liquid puddles...then they put their bags in the overhead? Also, don't touch the pull-down tray - without wearing gloves! (I think he was teasing about the gloves but he said those trays are never cleaned.) Okay, I wipe them down with a Lysol wipe, but still!

(Okay, slightly off topic - but I've seen women put their handbags on the floors of grungy public restroom floors....do they then go home and put that same bag atop the kitchen counter or table?!)

Badger - thanks for the laugh! I will have to quote the "Wrapped in plastic? No problem." My family wonders why I do't wrap myself up in protective plastic whenever I venture outside my comfort zone ! :)

ams123
12-08-2011, 02:57 PM
I think what is worse than the under seat storage is having to take my luggage into the restroom and set it down on the floor.

Linda

dorayme
12-08-2011, 05:34 PM
When I was wearing my ebags, I kept it on my back in the restroom. But both my eBags and the TB travel bags all have a handle, can't they be hung on the hook on the door?

GEOcycle
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
If it doesn't kill ya it only makes you stronger?

I'm flying back to the U.K. for Xmas with the Wife's family in under 2 weeks. Never once thought about this before.

Going to continue with "ignorance is bliss" on these 15 hours flights.

eep.

ams123
12-08-2011, 07:20 PM
So many restrooms don't have hooks, and if they do it is really hard to hang up an aeronaut on a little restroom hook - plus a coat and a purse!

Linda

daisy
12-08-2011, 07:58 PM
If it doesn't kill ya it only makes you stronger?

I think that's the best attitude.

We recently did 6 weeks in europe - 24hr flight there and 24 back. Plus many trains including an overnighter plus a cross channel ferry. Travelled packed like sardines on the metros of three cities.

Didn't get sick, didn't get pickpocketed, didn't lose luggage and the only gross thing that happened was the previously mentioned poopy spinner. Doesn't hurt to be careful but don't let it keep you home.

Scattered
12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
So many restrooms don't have hooks, and if they do it is really hard to hang up an aeronaut on a little restroom hook - plus a coat and a purse!

Linda

On my cross-country trip with my Aeronaut back in March, I was actually surprised that with the backpack straps I could actually hang my bag on the hook in the toilet stall. It took a bit of practice - messenger bag first, then Aeronaut on top of it - plus some careful balancing and a quick prayer that the hook wouldn't snap off the stall door...but it worked. I really dislike having to take my bag(s) in airport public toilet rooms when I have to travel alone on business.

Seesul
12-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Just a few weeks ago, I traveled with my red Dyneema Synapse. Put it under the seat (as I usually do). The lady ahead of me spilled her Coca Cola right after it was handed to her and unbeknownst to her, it travelled back and soaked the bottom of my bag. The bag mostly repelled it, and by the time I got off 4 hours later, the bag was dry. No stain, nothing. I do plan to wash it, and re-coat it with Nikwax for good measure. I was just happy that it was my TB that was under there.

TavaPeak
12-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Wow, another good argument for the Nikwax. Guess I should add some to my next order.

gmoskal
02-24-2012, 03:16 PM
OMG I should not have read this thread. All these things I never imagined before. Makes sense that last year when I went to Disney World I came down with a terrible sinus infection which I believe I contracted whilst on my flight to DW
Note to self: Cover western flyer in trash bag and bring disinfectant wipes for everything else! Yuck!
Good post Moose you have made me much more aware of things I usually ignore (or maybe am just in denial about :))

Moose
02-25-2012, 02:23 AM
gmoskal, too funny. After seeing where this thread went I WILL NOT be putting an unprotected bag under a seat EVER again. Heck, I'm hard pressed to even put a bag on my dining room table these days. :)
Take care,
Moose

Lani
02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm talking about a couple of sheets of Bounty-like towels. No more wasteful than a garbage bag which if it's sitting on the floor you probably don't want to pack in your carry-on and reuse.

Oooooo somehow I had an image of REAL towels in my mind. You're absolutely right; 3 sheets (not yet torn off at the perforation) would make a perfect little protective layer!

Lani
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM

BEST SOLUTION: The Clipa purse hook.

Purse Hanger | Clipa Instant Handbag Hanger | Purse Hooks (http://www.clipa.us/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home)

You can hang an elephant off of those things. Well, a 45-pound elephant (they're rated to 45 pounds).

LJW
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM
Wow! That little thing is going to hold up my 20 lb Aeronaut?
Has anyone used this type of device on something other than a handbag? Seems like the whole table would flip over.
If it works, I'll buy one today!

Lani
02-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Wow! That little thing is going to hold up my 20 lb Aeronaut?
Has anyone used this type of device on something other than a handbag? Seems like the whole table would flip over.
If it works, I'll buy one today!

I've never tested it on a fully loaded Aeronaut, but I think you should be able to clip that over the top of the door, and hang your shoulder strap that way. The thing is pretty rugged.

They have the blingy version in case you want to wear it as a bangle. I do not recommend wearing it through the security gate, though. It's a hefty enough piece of metal that you might set off the metal detector.

dorayme
02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
I just went and looked, I must get an Abbie! Thanks for the linkie lani!

Frank II
02-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I think I have the answer to protect our bags.......luggage condoms.

bchaplin
02-27-2012, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure how serious any of these posts are, but if they are, where does this end? Do you protect your clothes from the germs on the seats, which are surely not cleaned between passengers? Do you not set your bags down in waiting areas or in a hotel room? Personally I prefer to take sensible precautions, such as cleaning my hands before eating and even wiping down the tray table, and beyond that I assume that my daily exposure to germs ensures a robust immune system.

dorayme
02-27-2012, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=Jenne;32047 I'll tuck my Kindle and iPhone into my Side Effect and keep everything else in the overhead bin.![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip, I never considered using the SE for the Kindle. I'm going to check it out right now! :)

Sasquatch
03-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes, it is absolutely disgusting. Most flights are barely having excess trash picked up during stops, let alone anything disinfected or cleaned. We recently sat next to a couple on a flight who carried sanitizing wipes to get rid of the nasties on the tray table and armrests. I've been doing that for years in hotel rooms but for some reason never considered it while flying. Needless to say, we didn't get sick on that trip!

conejo23
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm not sure how serious any of these posts are, but if they are, where does this end? Do you protect your clothes from the germs on the seats, which are surely not cleaned between passengers? Do you not set your bags down in waiting areas or in a hotel room? Personally I prefer to take sensible precautions, such as cleaning my hands before eating and even wiping down the tray table, and beyond that I assume that my daily exposure to germs ensures a robust immune system.

Right on.

Folks, if you think these germs are confined to the plane, think again. The shuttle from the parking place? The bins or conveyer belt at security? The seats in the waiting area at the gate? The rental car shuttle? The germs are everywhere. You'd be shocked at what's in your office or home.

In most cases, it's just not a big deal other than the "it grosses me out when I think about it" factor.

Badger
04-10-2012, 11:19 AM
Seriously, people. No one is arguing that germs somehow don't exist in the world. However, planes are a special case because you are confined to a very small space and often cannot move, even when conditions are highly unsanitary. I have never had to sit in close proximity to vomit in my house, but have had to on a plane, and a friend of mine once reached into a seat pouch and came into contact with a used diaper. That is objectively gross, and it's not that crazy to not want to touch it with either one's self or one's hand baggage.

backpack
04-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Wipes, plastic covers, anti-germ suits, bacteria shield... ;)

First: Where am I going to put all that stuff?

Second: It would take quite some time to wrap everything tightly between boarding and take off.

Third: I usually keep a short coat or a windbreaker to use as seat cover, it protects my hair and my neck and keeps me warm when gaining altitude.

There is water and wipes available in the bathroom plane if one wants to do a thorough cleaning.

The bottom line is, public transports, which commercial airlines belong to, are, by their public nature, just as hotels, shuttles, rental cars, malls, tourist areas.... prone to carry lots of pathogens.

While it is of great concern for people with compromised immune systems, it is something that people who are healthy have to face.

The only alternative is to drive one's car to one's private plane, only shop online and work from one's isolated single family home.

One should beware of wearing gloves when retrieving one's mail to avoid germs.

The last two phrases are, of course, in jest.

Jenne
04-15-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm more in the camp of "it grosses me out when I think of it."

However, one reason I will never fly Spirit again is that it makes me think of it ALL THE TIME, especially with the lack of barf bags and how close the seats are.

Mark1966
04-15-2012, 06:36 PM
OK, completely gross and I'm not sure that my life has been improved by reading this thread.

It does remind me though of our trip to Europe many years ago now pre-children.

We flew Alitalia to Rome from Sydney via Melbourne with a refuel in Bangkok. Trip time 20+ hours in a metal tube breathing recycled air. In those days you could smoke in certain sections of the plane and lets just stay that the toilet accuracy of Italian men left a lot to be desired. Similarly the cleanliness in other aspects of the flight was not Alitalia's strong suit.

Despite that we survived, the body is amazing in so many ways!

SKIMT
01-18-2015, 07:50 AM
Reading this thread gave us the idea to quickly sew up some rip stop nylon stuff sacks to put in synapse bags in when putting under the seat. This should protect it from an accidental spill and corral all the straps from getting snagged or ending up in the aisle.

Pokilani
01-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Reading this thread gave us the idea to quickly sew up some rip stop nylon stuff sacks to put in synapse bags in when putting under the seat. This should protect it from an accidental spill and corral all the straps from getting snagged or ending up in the aisle.

That's awesome!

SKIMT
01-18-2015, 11:07 AM
We used them at the grocery store this morning....so multi use. :cool:

eWalker
01-19-2015, 02:50 AM
BEST SOLUTION: The Clipa purse hook.

Purse Hanger | Clipa Instant Handbag Hanger | Purse Hooks (http://www.clipa.us/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=home)

You can hang an elephant off of those things. Well, a 45-pound elephant (they're rated to 45 pounds).
Great tip and it ships overseas! Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking about were to hang a full loaded Aeronaut in public bathrooms...

A couple of clipa may just be the solution !! ;)

timarelay
01-19-2015, 06:45 AM
I missed this thread the first time around, but I'm really happy to know I'm not the only one who thinks about this stuff.

Except I'm kind of sad that my innocence about seat back pockets has now been ruined. I had no idea they could be so gross! I shower after I land with every trip though (and the bags I travel with contain the bags I actually carry around daily), so while I'm sure I get exposed to all sorts of stuff on the trip, I do my best not to bring it home with me. (I work in hospitals anyway so I'm used to temporarily being in gross places then getting clean at home).

bchaplin
01-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Great tip and it ships overseas! Thanks for sharing!

I was thinking about were to hang a full loaded Aeronaut in public bathrooms...

A couple of clipa may just be the solution !! ;)

If that really works for an Aeronaut let me know! I would get one.

eWalker
01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Ok!

I will finish my order tomorrow, but from the online reviews I saw online, it does fit the bill! :)

eWalker
04-16-2015, 01:34 PM
@bchaplin My advice.... Get two! [emoji6]

eWalker
04-16-2015, 01:42 PM
11295 The A45 is kind of big, so it may touch the floor if not kept straight.

And it is so much easier to do it with two clipas.

HTH

eWalker

bchaplin
04-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Fabulous, @eWalker! Thank you!

wayoflife
04-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Here is another option. Carabiner Super Clip | The Qlipter by Lulabop (http://qlipter.com)

ladyinblack1964
04-19-2015, 11:17 AM
I'm very tempted. Does anyone have one of these, and if so, how do you like it?

Here is another option. Carabiner Super Clip | The Qlipter by Lulabop (http://qlipter.com)

bltkmt
04-20-2015, 08:32 AM
I have 4 of them - I was a Kickstarter backer. They are great!

terayon
04-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Nice! I just ordered some. They have a birthday discount on that ends today, if anyone's interested.

bchaplin
04-20-2015, 09:16 AM
20% off through the end of today.

kgm
04-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Thanks for posting the discount. I bought some for myself and also for my husband.

Tiviander
04-20-2015, 09:10 PM
I got one too. Ordered and received a shipping notice in 30 minutes.

GoStanford
04-20-2015, 09:15 PM
You're all making me think of the "purse hook" scene from that Seth Rogen/Barbra Streisand road trip movie The Guilt Trip - I actually had a purse hook at the time but I never used it regularly.

bchaplin
04-22-2015, 05:28 PM
So, @ewalker, I tried out the Qlipter. Sounds very much like the Clipa, but quite a different animal. It is larger than I expected (though not very heavy). It is very cleverly designed, and the super-large hook will fit over any towel rod. It can also suspend a bag from a table like the Clipa, but it isn't nearly as elegant!

On the other hand, I won't have to worry about bears eating my food anymore.

viewsnortheast
04-22-2015, 05:48 PM
Any thoughts on which (clipa or qlipter) is more secure on a table? I'm intrigued. The clipa does look more attractive, though "doubles as a bracelet" (from their amazon description) may be pushing it a bit...

bchaplin
04-23-2015, 03:37 AM
Any thoughts on which (clipa or qlipter) is more secure on a table? I'm intrigued. The clipa does look more attractive, though "doubles as a bracelet" (from their amazon description) may be pushing it a bit...

I'll need more experience with the Qlipter to know for sure, and obviously can't comment on the Clipa, but from what I can tell so far both do a good job. If the table is flat and has clearance underneath so that the bag hangs directly beneath the clip, it seems that gravity keeps it steady.

The aesthetics, as I've noted above, are a different matter. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable using a carabiner-type clip in a restaurant or bar. It is also quite large, where the Clipa is subtle and would not stand out. The kickstarter site seems to indicate that they are making a smaller version.

I tend to find other solutions for placing my bag at a restaurant anyway. It usually goes at my seat, either on my lap, or on the floor (perhaps perched on top of my shoes if I feel the floor is really dirty). If I have a coat I just swing it behind me on the chair, under the coat, so it won't be easy for someone to grab or dig into. I bought the Qlipter with the thought of hanging items in a hotel room, bathroom, locker, or train where there is scant space. It is hilariously oversized for my toiletry bags, but will certainly do the job. I also think it would be great for camping, rigging up a clothesline, or linking two bags together. Finally, it is useful to me that it doubles as a carabiner as well as a hook.

biscuit
04-23-2015, 07:44 AM
To me, the Qlipter feels more secure. The rubberized grip on the end of the Qlipter feels like it catches more securely than the smooth pads on the ends of the Clipa. Take that with a grain of salt, though, because I thinking about saying how the Qlipter is lighter weight than the Clipa, and when I weighed them on my kitchen scale, the Clipa is lighter, by 0.25 ounces (2.0 ounces for the Clipa, 2.25 ounces for the Qlipter).

imperator
04-23-2015, 03:45 PM
I put my in-flight items in a 3d mesh cube, and hook it on to the seatback picket, saves the trouble of leaving things behind. I use carabineers for other items. As far as the floor, its just building your immunity, I doubt the overhead bins are cleaned, either. Not a bad idea to wash the bag once and a while, anyway.

imperator
04-23-2015, 03:53 PM

Linda

With the Absolute strap, you can hang it over the top corner of the door before you shut it, if the gap between the door and the strike is large enough for the strap to fit it!

viewsnortheast
04-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks bchaplin and biscuit for the side-by-side photo. I just need to remember that this, like many things, is not actually a problem I need a solution for. But I do like carabiners in general. Nite-ize has lots of my money by now.

chinalake
04-25-2015, 12:59 PM
I love Amazon.com - kilofly Purse Hook [Set of 10] - Foldable - Violet, with kilofly Pouch - Purse Hangers (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMCHVAI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
for my purse at a restaurant, you don't have to buy so many, you can just buy 1, but I gave them out as gifts.

I am intrigued with the qliptor and may order 2 of them . . . love all the info & accessories I learn about on these forums.

bchaplin
04-25-2015, 02:36 PM
My Qlipter, holding a fairly heavy Co-Pilot at a burger joint. It seems quite secure.

Looking at the outdoor seating, though, I wonder if this type of clip would function in that situation. It seems like the weight of the bag would tip over the table.

backpack
04-25-2015, 03:40 PM
My Qlipter, holding a fairly heavy Co-Pilot at a burger joint. It seems quite secure.

Looking at the outdoor seating, though, I wonder if this type of clip would function in that situation. It seems like the weight of the bag would tip over the table.

Outdoor, you would use the rail.

bchaplin
04-25-2015, 03:49 PM
Oh, I wouldn't!

marytattoo
04-25-2015, 03:56 PM
I'd either drag over an empty chair or just put it down. Why? I always want to give the straps of my bags a rest.

backpack
04-25-2015, 05:30 PM
Oh, I wouldn't!

Sorry, I meant could, I was sure I typed it, but who knows before the first cup of tea Earl Grey Hot.

I haven't been there so, maybe, the rail is unsuitable.

I also made a grammatical error while typing that post. Brain fog day, I guess.

bchaplin
04-26-2015, 02:52 AM
@backpack, I just meant that the warm weather has brought out a lot of sketchy people where I live. It was particularly noticeable yesterday.
The rail would work with the Qlipter though!
Sigh. I wish I was in one of those places where I didn't always have to be on my guard when I'm outside.

backpack
04-26-2015, 06:52 AM
@backpack, I just meant that the warm weather has brought out a lot of sketchy people where I live. It was particularly noticeable yesterday.
The rail would work with the Qlipter though!
Sigh. I wish I was in one of those places where I didn't always have to be on my guard when I'm outside.

When I looked at the picture, I first thought it was elevated or separated from the street but then I saw the figure walking and realized it was just next to foot traffic.

Ever since I had to deal with pickpocketing, I now secure any bag in the corner of a booth, if there is one, or place the bag(s) in a chair or, if I have to, on the floor, between or on top of my feet.

I am sorry that the shady characters are spoiling the Spring and Summer outdoor cafe experience.

bchaplin
05-06-2015, 06:16 AM
Another Qlipter shot, this morning at a Starbucks with a challenging table edge. I guess this is where the large hook comes in handy. This is now a regular part of my EDC.

bltkmt
05-06-2015, 06:31 AM
Another place I found these to be handy was on vacation in Mexico (Puerto Vallarta). The Qlipter was fantastic to hang my S25 (and other things) from one of the beach palapa spines while I sipped my pina colada!

wayoflife
06-28-2015, 02:20 PM
The QLIPTER is on sale again until 7/3 /15 for those who may have missed it last time. Carabiner Super Clip | The Qlipter by Lulabop (http://qlipter.com)

Sacharissa
06-28-2015, 02:41 PM
The QLIPTER is on sale again until 7/3 /15 for those who may have missed it last time. Carabiner Super Clip | The Qlipter by Lulabop (http://qlipter.com)

THANKS for the tip, wayoflife! I had never heard of these thing before, but they are EXACTLY what I've been looking for, and didn't know it! I just put in my order for FIVE of them!! ;)

bubmum
06-28-2015, 03:23 PM

My thanks, as well. Just ordered one.

GoStanford
06-28-2015, 03:27 PM
I'm dashing off and will review this thread again, but if anybody has new insights into how Qlipter differs from the Clipa, please post here - I think it is the twisty action of the Qlipter that opens up some options, correct?

wayoflife
06-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Yes, the qlipter can spin 360 degrees.

Amy
06-29-2015, 05:45 AM
That is a nifty gadget. I just ordered 2 to take on an upcoming trip. There have been many times I longed for a hook (bathrooms, older hotels) to the point where I started bringing metal over-the- door-hooks with me on trips. But this looks like a huge improvement over those.

Pokilani
06-29-2015, 06:02 AM
Thanks for reminding me about these! Just ordered some as gifts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BajaMandy
06-29-2015, 08:21 PM

I hadn't seen these before, either.....and (like others) just ordered some.

You should get a kick-back from them for all the new business you've directed their way!:)

bchaplin
06-29-2015, 09:37 PM
They are really great. I even used mine to hang semi-dry pants (which have loops) when the towel bar space was at a premium.