PDA

View Full Version : Three-week trip with an Aeronaut

Badger
12-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced warning: many lists.

Mrs B and I are taking off tomorrow for our three-week trip to Europe, hard core one-bag style. I am carrying an Aeronaut and Mrs B is carrying an old-school Patagonia MLC. We are both limited to one bag (NOT one bag + personal) and it has to be 11 kilos (17 lbs) or less.

Here's my list:
To wear on the plane: shirt, pants, etc., and Vivobarefoot Neos with the insoles removed for extra ground feel. I'm wearing both of my jackets (fleece and rain) as well.
In pockets: headphones, iPhone, pen, notebook, hemp organizer wallet, gum, lip balm, sunglasses. Hat, gloves, and scarf.

Clothes: jeans, cashmere sweater, merino sweater, 1 technical T-shirt, 2 regular T-shirts, hoody, gym shorts to wear around the rental apartment. 2 pairs of chonies and socks.

Electronics: Olympus PEN E-PL2 with a 20mm f1.7 aspherical lens (in a Side Effect). iPad in cache. A couple of extra SD cards and an iPad SD card reader. Plug converter, iPad charger, and PPU clip for charging the camera battery (thanks for the recommendation, FrankII). All the chargers and stuff will be in my FOT pouch.

Toiletries: contact cleaner (so many little bottles), toothbrush and toothpaste, moisturiser, eye drops, blister stick, band-aids, kleenex, advil, deodorant. Dr. Bronner's soap for hand washing.

Etc: a few teabags, a little bag of nuts, Klean Kanteen, rosary, sink stopper, reusable grocery bag. I'm also pleased that I fit in my Medium Café Bag, empty, to use as an EDC upon our arrival.

The whole bag weighs 12.8 pounds, which is great because my clothes aren't particularly small (something to take care of in 2012, I guess).

Mrs B is taking the following:
To wear on the plane: something she calls her Khloe Kardashian outfit (after 12 years I still find her ways inscrutable). Basically yoga skirt, t-shirt, and North Face jacket. All black, natch. She has to wear her knee-high boots onto the plane, and she will carry her down coat and hat.

In her Small Café Bag, which will be stowed in her MLC: sunglasses, organizer wallet, passport pouch with both of our passports, LeSportsac makeup bag with stuff inside, gum, paper, pens.

Clothes: 2 Ibex wool dresses, jeans, 3 tops, pajamas, socks, tights and smalls. Dress raincoat. A silk scarf. Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves. (Jewelry to be bought in Italy, I suppose . . .)

Toiletries: I'm . . . not sure, exactly. They fit into a 1-qt Ziploc, though.

Electronics: A Kindle in a cache.

Etc.: a Klean Kanteen, and a resuable grocery bag.

Altogether, her stuff weighs in at around 12 pounds.

We will be in Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, and the Veneto, gorging on museums and churches and open-air markets. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post but I hope to check in periodically. I'm so pleased that our TB stuff will accompany us on this trip, and I assure you that many photos are forthcoming.

Best wishes to all of you for the holidays and all your travels and adventures.

Jenne
12-17-2011, 11:59 PM
Awesome! I don't bring jewelry when I go to Italy, but somehow I come back with jewelry! Buon viaggio!

Frank II
12-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I might be missing something, but how are you going to charge the camera, ppuclip and kindle?

Maria
12-18-2011, 04:35 AM
Bon voyage Badger and Mrs. B! Impressive packing list for three weeks....especially in winter temperatures. (Santa won't be bringing me an Aeronaut sadly, but it's still on my wish list!)

Merry Christmas!

ncb4
12-18-2011, 07:27 AM
Have a wonderful (and safe) adventure! And do make sure, as Frank II noted, that you don't forget to take your chargers; it would be awful to be without your camera especially (and do you like the Pen? I've got an Olympus e620 which I love, but I do drool occasionally over the Pen line).

My only worry is the Corgis: who is taking care of them while their parents are off gallivanting around Italia? My Newf Yukon wants to know, since His Neurotic-ness pitched a six-month fit of the worst separation anxiety I've ever had the dubious pleasure of experiencing after the sole time we dared to leave him in a kennel.

Buon Natale!

misterN
12-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Good luck with your trip! I'm getting ready for my voyage trip with my Aeronaut to Phoenix and I'm having trouble figuring out what setup/what I'm going to pack for down there.

Badger
12-27-2011, 02:40 PM
I might be missing something, but how are you going to charge the camera, ppuclip and kindle?

Plug into iPad charger, plug iPad charger into plug converter, and presto! It's been working like a dream so far.

Badger
12-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Hi everyone! Just a quick post to say Buon Natale and hello from Italy! I'll have much more to say when we get back, but really quick: carrying our stuff has made this trip fantastic, and traveling light, even in winter, has been much easier than we thought. We learned that everyone on Alitalia eschews the one-bag rule, which means I can hand-carry my two Buon Ricordo plates rather than stuff them into the Aeronautic on the return flight. They would definitely fit, though!

ncb4, I like the PEN. It's not the fastest camera in terms of shutter speed, and I'm still getting used to the Pany lens, but it's working well. To be honest, I'm using the camera on my phone way more. Thank you for asking about the corgis. A local pet sitter is watching them in her home. One of their corgi friends is with them right now, so I'm sure they're happy. Some people's dogs get sad and won't eat when they're sent to the pet sitter, but this is not the case with ours.

Hope you're all well, and I am looking forward to reading about all of your holiday travels and escapades when we get back!

Badger
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,
we're back and all is well in the Badger household. (Hector got a haircut today! It makes him look like a corgi.) I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport. I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much. While I'm not sure that I'd always be able to travel without a camera, I feel like that's a good thing to know about myself. Astoundingly, I got a magnificent picture with bokeh on my phone, something I have never been able to achieve with a camera. (It will never be replicated, so I need to keep working at my camera skillz.)

It's great to be back! I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!

dlg
01-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Badger, who does pet-sitting in the Iowa City area? Is it a friend or a business? We've always kenneled our dogs in Blue Grass, IA (west of Davenport) but I'm always looking for alternatives.

Badger
01-11-2012, 08:55 PM
dlg, I gotta say: I wouldn't recommend this lady. She's nice but her house is chaos. We sent the dogs with 5 weeks worth of food (just in case), and when we picked it up, it was ALL.GONE. I'm not sure if she fed it all to ours, or if she fed it to the other dogs she was looking after, but I wasn't pleased. The food was really expensive, and it's very calorie dense. Basically the whole world knows that corgis put on weight really easily, so if she was free-feeding, it's very irresponsible. Titus came home with a bit of a gut, and poor Hector was all matted (hence the need for a haircut today). They seemed OK psychologically, so that's what's important, but it was all too nerve-wracking for me and the Mrs.

I have a colleague who uses a pet-sitter up in Solon. I might give them a call and see what they're like. Could you also PM me with the name of the people in Blue Grass?

Pics of Hector's haircut to come shortly . . .

Maria
01-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Hi everyone,
we're back and all is well in the Badger household. (Hector got a haircut today! It makes him look like a corgi.) I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport. I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much. While I'm not sure that I'd always be able to travel without a camera, I feel like that's a good thing to know about myself. Astoundingly, I got a magnificent picture with bokeh on my phone, something I have never been able to achieve with a camera. (It will never be replicated, so I need to keep working at my camera skillz.)

It's great to be back! I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!

Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. B!

But the poor Corgi's! Have Hector and Titus given you the cold shoulder, or just so thrilled to have you home that they are turning themselves inside out with happiness? Or perhaps a brief moment of the former, emphasis on the later!

I do not yet have an Aeronaut, and plan on a navy / solar version when I can get one. It also leaves room for shopping purchases!

CHeers!

Badger
01-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. B!

But the poor Corgi's! Have Hector and Titus given you the cold shoulder, or just so thrilled to have you home that they are turning themselves inside out with happiness? Or perhaps a brief moment of the former, emphasis on the later!

Technically, Mrs B and I are both Mrs B. (I guess non-technically as well.)

And our corgis are eunuchs.

I really, really feel bad that Titus gained so much weight (it was like 2 lbs). Extra weight is so hard on the dwarf breeds, especially those with long backs. The dogs were happy to be home, overjoyed to see their stuff, and seemed to forget we had been away after about 24 hours. I'm also happy to report that thanks to having a normal diet again and lots of trips to the dog park, Titus is probably about 1/3 of the way back to his ideal weight of 28.5 lbs.

I totally agree that the Aeronaut is great for hauling home vacation booty. There was always an extra nook or cranny to stick things. It seriously did not let me down once.

Maria
01-16-2012, 03:31 PM
SOrry for my confusion! If only humans could diet so quickly and efficiently as Corgis! Glad to know they are really no worse for the trip. And of course happy to be back to normal.

I need an aeronaut, and "need" is not just as in "want" either! :)

Lani
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Badger, first off I have to say I *LOVE* that you kept posting updates in your thread. I was able to follow you as you went on your journey.

I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.

Oh, almost like Flat Stanley! I will be looking forward to this.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport.

I have a case that I can fold into a stand, and that seems to work well for me.

I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.

Sounds like a great excuse to go back!

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much.

You too?!? I've been trying to think about why--for me, I think it's because with my phone, it's like just taking casual snapshots to share with my friends online. So I just snap away. I especially love taking snapshots of the dishes we order! With my camera, I feel like I have to compose a phohtohgrahff (pronounce it all snooty-like), and I don't think about it in terms of sharing... so I think that might be why I don't take as many. Heck, I don't even carry a camera with me anymore ever since I went to an iPhone 4 (not the newest 4S mind you).

I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!

Can't wait to see your Flat Sta...er... Pouch pictures!

snowbot
01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi Badger, I hope the corgi weight loss program isn't too traumatic.

We leave detailed instructions about how many ounces to feed our cats when we travel, as well as how to use the kitchen scale, and the "emergency" cans of food are typically used, too. I think our cat sitter doesn't like to use the scale. But the cat sitter is more reliable than my mother. If my mother takes care of the cats when I'm gone, they're not hungry for a couple of days after I return.

Badger
01-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi Badger, I hope the corgi weight loss program isn't too traumatic.

We leave detailed instructions about how many ounces to feed our cats when we travel, as well as how to use the kitchen scale, and the "emergency" cans of food are typically used, too. I think our cat sitter doesn't like to use the scale. But the cat sitter is more reliable than my mother. If my mother takes care of the cats when I'm gone, they're not hungry for a couple of days after I return.

Before we left, I had considered bagging daily meals for each dog, but something tells me that even if I had done that, everything still would have gotten screwed up. When we lived in South Bend, the facility where we boarded Titus (this was pre-Hector) was very good about limiting treats and keeping to the correct measurement of food.

That's very funny that your mother over-indulges the cats. My mom does the same with the corgs. I think they think of her as "nice old lady who bestows on us the ham."

Badger
01-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Badger, first off I have to say I *LOVE* that you kept posting updates in your thread. I was able to follow you as you went on your journey.

Oh, almost like Flat Stanley! I will be looking forward to this.

Lani, I'm glad you enjoyed the posts! I really want to get the pics up soon. The semester is starting tomorrow and I'm pretty busy, but I'm hoping to find some time to get all my pics organized, edited, and labeled. I think I have 4-5 FOT pics to share.

We are already talking about going back to Venice very soon--it was a blast! Our next big trip was supposed to be to Japan, but now that's kind of up in the air. I agree that the iPhone has a good camera now, and while I think I will likely take an SLR camera to Japan, the next time we go to Italy, I'll just be rocking the iPhone for sure.

ncb4
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
This thread has taken such interesting twists and turns. As for cameras, I have both a DSLR and a Panasonic Lumix ZS3. Like you, Lani and Badger, I find I don't take out my "big" camera that much. Partly that's because it's heavy to carry around, and I think partly I have that same sense that you do Lani about feeling obliged to "compose" a perfect shot. On the other hand, I've had an iPhone 4S (my first) for three months now, and I can't get comfortable with using it as a camera. I'm not sure why. Part of it is that I forget it's got a camera; part of it is that I haven't gotten used to the way you use it to take photos. It feels awkward to me: first I have to launch a camera app (I use Camera+), and then I miss a real shutter button. I feel more comfortable with my Pany, and find that's the camera I use most of the time. Any hints on how I can get more comfortable with my iPhone camera?

Then there's the whole dog weight issue. I never realized that you had to be so cautious with smaller breed dogs about weight gain, to the point where you had to weigh food down to the ounce. We are also dealing with weight issues with our Newfy (he is hypothyroid), but with giant breeds you've got more latitude: a couple ounces here and there don't matter as much. Yukon has lost thirty pounds since last summer! He's very active, and we practice portion control with his food, but he also needs thyroxine every day; as long as he takes that, he can keep his boyish figure. Im curious; why are Corgis so prone to weight gain? Poor little guys! And you'd think that one of the perks of being a dog is that you wouldn't have to worry about counting calories.

Badger
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
ncb4: if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically. Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.

Re: weight. Corgis are actually medium-sized dogs on short legs (they have achrondoplasia, which also affects humans with the dwarfism gene). So, they have normal-sized torsos that are held up by short legs. Corgis are prone to weight gain because of their genetics; they are also compulsive overeaters. If you google images of "obese corgis," you'll see hairy spheres with little foot-nubs sticking out.

Titus, at least, has learned to love vegetables. He likes Belgian endives, fennel, carrots, bell peppers, and steamed broccoli. He does not, however, like the unsalted canned green beans suggested as a dog diet aid. But then, who does?

TavaPeak
01-17-2012, 06:40 PM
Badger, the vet recommended we feed our Maddie some frozen green beans for snacks. She loves them - they are crunchy and cold. Of course, she's a lab, and will eat almost anything (as per Citizen Canine photo).

snowbot
01-17-2012, 06:50 PM
The surprise benefit of carrots as a dog treat is that the dog piles are really easy to find.

Badger
01-17-2012, 07:18 PM
Badger, the vet recommended we feed our Maddie some frozen green beans for snacks. She loves them - they are crunchy and cold. Of course, she's a lab, and will eat almost anything (as per Citizen Canine photo).

Yeah--I thought the corgis would love frozen green beans, but no go. They do, however, love frozen yogurt, which has in common with frozen green beans the amazing property of being frozen.

On an unrelated note: one thing I miss about South Bend is the frozen yogurt place. It was called Let's Spoon. Good times!

ncb4
01-18-2012, 04:40 AM
Badger, thanks for the tips on the iPhone camera: I'm going to try those out today! And that's fascinating about corgis actually having achondroplasia. The compulsive overeating reminds me of another genetic issue you see in humans called Prader-Willi syndrome. I'm amazed that you can get your dogs to like vegies: I have dutifully tried to be a good mom and get all my Newfs to eat vegies, and every single one of them has spit them out and stared at me balefully as if to say, "Where is the steak and ice cream?" I was excited that Yukon will eat carrots though: my first victory!

Maria
01-18-2012, 04:48 AM
ncb4: if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically. Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.

Re: weight. Corgis are actually medium-sized dogs on short legs (they have achrondoplasia, which also affects humans with the dwarfism gene). So, they have normal-sized torsos that are held up by short legs. Corgis are prone to weight gain because of their genetics; they are also compulsive overeaters. If you google images of "obese corgis," you'll see hairy spheres with little foot-nubs sticking out.

Titus, at least, has learned to love vegetables. He likes Belgian endives, fennel, carrots, bell peppers, and steamed broccoli. He does not, however, like the unsalted canned green beans suggested as a dog diet aid. But then, who does?

Just shows those Corgis have good taste! :) No surprise éh?

Our dogs loved carrots as treats too. Try frozen green peas...our Bichon loved to play with them before eating them up in ten seconds too.

Lani
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
if you double-click the home button when the phone is asleep, the lock screen will come up. Note that there is a little camera icon. You can touch that icon and the camera app will launch automatically.

Oh my goodness--I DID NOT KNOW THAT!!! I just tried it, and it worked! I think it's a feature of the new version 5.0 iOS.

No, stop. That's not just a nifty feature; this is behavior-changing for me. Thank you SOOOO much for this tip!!

Also, from settings, you can set the volume up button as a shutter button, which is, I find, much more stable in landscape mode than using the touch screen.

That one I knew about. There was someone who created an app that did that, and Apple gave it the big banhammer because they said you aren't supposed to change the functionality of hardware, and plus, you would confuse all us non-smart iPhone users. Well somewhere along the way, somebody convinced them it was an awesome way to hold the camera steady (I don't know about you but I can steady things up much better using two hands), and... plus... it turns out iPhone users aren't so non-smart after all! ^_^

Badger
01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Just shows those Corgis have good taste! :) No surprise éh?

Our dogs loved carrots as treats too. Try frozen green peas...our Bichon loved to play with them before eating them up in ten seconds too.

They don't go for peas, which is fine by me. Peas are revolting. Mrs B likes peas, and whenever I have to cook them for her I get all nauseated.

ncb4: I'm not sure corgis are compulsive in a medical or genetic sense, but I'd characterize them as "highly food-motivated." Sure, you'll occasionally hear of corgis who graze from their food bowls or prefer play time to treats, but it's not too common. Sadly, many corgis die by getting their heads stuck in food bags, and then asphyxiating. They're so, so greedy, and sometimes that greed is their downfall. Keep trying with the vegetable treats, btw. Titus didn't care for any vegetables besides carrots at first, but he's expanded his repertoire a great deal.

Lani
01-19-2012, 11:16 AM
They don't go for peas, which is fine by me. Peas are revolting. Mrs B likes peas, and whenever I have to cook them for her I get all nauseated.

OK I'm relaying this story thirdhand. My husband used to have a dog named Yoda, who couldn't stand peas. I don't quite remember how it is they fed him peas (apparently it was either in the canned food or they fed him leftover tuna casserole or something), but the funny part is that Yoda would eat everything in the bowl... except the peas. The bowl would be licked clean, except for the little cluster of peas he'd push off to the side. I always found that hilarious--he never complained and asked for different food when they fed him this. He just simply ate around the peas.

Badger
01-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Yoda! So cute. Titus does the same thing.

My mom went to school with a girl whose family name was/is Yoda. I think the late 70s-early 80s were just awesome for them.

TavaPeak
01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
My mother had a fat basset hound (Mandy) who would dig up baby carrots in her garden before she could harvest them. The dog first observed my mother pulling carrots from the garden bed, then sitting on the back step to wash them in a bucket before taking them in for dinner. The dog just figured out how to cut out the middleman. Mandy would wait until the carrots grew to just the right size to be sweet before digging.

Badger
01-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Ok, folks. As promised, I wanted to show you a few of our holiday photos.

We arrived in Rome but left right away. Since we only really saw the inside of the airport train station, this is the best FOT pic I could get.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gz2x2QdkTs0/TxzX7Knuf8I/AAAAAAAAAYw/1CM4onmehmQ/s720/IMG_0636.jpg

We spent a night in Orvieto, which is in Umbria. For a tiny city, it has amazing gelato, good restaurants, and a phenomenal cathedral. This is where we stayed when we were last in Italy (for 10 weeks).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z13NjZX810I/TxzYPrUIQMI/AAAAAAAAAZA/SsW_IJfa3KA/s720/PC210448.JPG

We spent Christmas in Florence. Here's Mrs B bringing home the panettone (note the SCB; sorry it's dark, but the sun was behind the building).

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-DE7pNeqkJeo/TxzZKTXQbaI/AAAAAAAAAZg/vxQEka5O-L4/s512/IMG_0671.jpg

I've always wanted to go to the Santa Croce Basilica, and I made sure to get a shot of the FOT pouch in front of the beautiful carved door.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wf8HvmihY4g/TxzYE1s0QII/AAAAAAAAAY4/NMhNLHZK1wk/s720/IMG_0706.jpg

Next stop was Bologna, where we stayed for three days, mostly eating stuff and bumming around. The highlight of our stay was a walk through the 660 porticoes up to the Sanctuary of San Luca, high above the city. Here's the FOT on the way to the top.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-YlNXYxzr44o/TxzYjPOHZBI/AAAAAAAAAZQ/VDvux0V1Rbs/s720/IMG_0816.jpg

And a shot of the sanctuary from the other side:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-XfkHWegIxz0/TxzZVdgUa2I/AAAAAAAAAZo/Zrcewx3j1Vs/s512/IMG_0828.jpg

Badger
01-22-2012, 08:29 PM
For me, the highlight of our trip was a week in Venice. It was kind of rainy and cloudy, but it made me feel at home (it was colder than the PNW, but it was rocking the mist).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xJWEFttq6Hs/TxzZ9-acWLI/AAAAAAAAAZ4/5zt5oQHsR-c/s512/IMG_0982.jpg

My favorite church, Santa Maria della Salute. One of the few churches in the round I have seen in Italy.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-UO-Ya1efDSY/TxzZ9QD9YkI/AAAAAAAAAZw/MMR6vQBP-pc/s720/IMG_0976.jpg

We visited the Peggy Guggenheim museum, including its famous bronze, "Angel of the City" (1948). The FOT pouch helps make this pic a little bit more work appropriate, right?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6Kc3TkynhVU/TxzapuKBx_I/AAAAAAAAAaI/AZotiMYbSEU/s512/IMG_0985.jpg

I highly recommend visiting Italy in the winter, not least because you'll have fewer lines to contend with. We just walked into San Marco in Venice.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wKErkKe6RS0/TxzarMDctsI/AAAAAAAAAaY/dKaNjrKlgbA/s720/IMG_1001.jpg

Our TB stuff made traveling easy, enjoyable, and stress-free. My Aeronaut still looks brand-new, and it's waiting patiently for its next trip (to the much less exotic St. Louis, but oh well).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-k7xHW60pxrI/TxzYZYcVmbI/AAAAAAAAAZI/IOWYRZWZ3M0/s720/IMG_0793.jpg

Our TB stuff, from upper left: large WF packing cube, Small Café Bag, Aeronaut, 2 small WF packing cubes, Ultrasuede buffing cloth, 2 mini organizer pouches, padded Kindle case with Kindle on top, medium clear organizer pouch, three organizer wallets, iPad Cache with FOT pouch on top, Medium Café Bag.

Hope you enjoyed the pics!

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Nsn8m_mnw0o/TxzaqUr8jjI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/nMzuuaeO0jo/s512/IMG_1008.jpg

Lani
01-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Ooooo clap clap clap!!!!!!

I really adore your FOT pictures. They're like Flat Stanley pictures. Tee hee! I'll have to do that as well!

/clap clap clap

Thank you for sharing!!

joiedwards
01-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Love your pictures.

Maria
01-24-2012, 06:05 PM
YEA! Pictures! Thank you for posting these beauties....and Italy looks great too! ;)

The light is incredible - and the images of outside still shine. That carved door in Santa Croce - really beautiful.

Welcome home!

GEOcycle
01-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I absolutely loved Florence when I was there. Spent a week visiting a good friend on spring break. Beautiful, amazing city.

Great photos!

moriond
01-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Ooooo clap clap clap!!!!!!

I really adore your FOT pictures. They're like Flat Stanley pictures. Tee hee! I'll have to do that as well!

/clap clap clap

Thank you for sharing!!

These really do make great Flat Stanley pictures, only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.

Badger
01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.

That would be me. I'm the mysterious presence! Or something.

Glad you like the pics, everyone. Believe me, people stared at us more than once (and it wasn't just because I'm a mysterious presence).

Lani
01-25-2012, 12:46 PM
These really do make great Flat Stanley pictures, only the hand holding the FOT pouches in the close-up shots makes everything look as though there's a mysterious presence, just off-stage.

We don't mind the man behind the curtain. ;-)

...I do like that photo where you look like you're hiding your hand with your sleeve, though. Nice touch.

Walker
01-25-2012, 05:58 PM
We spent a night in Orvieto, which is in Umbria. For a tiny city, it has amazing gelato, good restaurants, and a phenomenal cathedral.

I will walk to Orvieto for that gelato :) Are the frescoes inside the church okay? They were fading badly when I saw them years ago.

Badger
01-25-2012, 05:59 PM
We don't mind the man behind the curtain. ;-)

...I do like that photo where you look like you're hiding your hand with your sleeve, though. Nice touch.

Eh, that's just because my hand was cold. Um, wait. Yes, yes, it was a nice touch, wasn't it?

Badger
01-25-2012, 08:14 PM
I will walk to Orvieto for that gelato :) Are the frescoes inside the church okay? They were fading badly when I saw them years ago.

They're still fading, but they're doing as well as can be expected. The lady chapel is just as pretty as ever, and that strange fresco of Judgement Day maintains its eerie luridness.

On a happier note, gelato! The gelateria is called Pasqualetti. There's one to the left of the Duomo if you're facing it, and another on the Corso Cavour (across the street from an underwear shop IIRC--nope, I was wrong; Mrs B says it's a book shop with a tower on top). They have a flavor called Capriccio which is a hazelnut-chocolate-cream flavor. It's really nice, and I don't think you'll encounter it anywhere else! I remembered to take a picture, just barely. The white scoop is called fiore di latte, which is a sort of sweet milk flavor. So good.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xPgjF4pi_b8/TyDR53_QpkI/AAAAAAAAAbg/60-fPSrM29w/s512/IMG_0652.jpg

Lani
01-25-2012, 11:41 PM
Mmmmm gelato.

Janine
01-26-2012, 10:18 AM
Beautiful pictures, and I love the way you worked your FoT into so many of them! :-D

Walker
01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
They're still fading, but they're doing as well as can be expected. The lady chapel is just as pretty as ever, and that strange fresco of Judgement Day maintains its eerie luridness.

On a happier note, gelato! The gelateria is called Pasqualetti. There's one to the left of the Duomo if you're facing it, and another on the Corso Cavour

Yes, those frescoes are lovely. I ate too much of the gelato from Pasqualetti by the Duomo. And too much gastronomic delights along those little streets.

marbenais
03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Of course I'm late to this thread, but two of my dogs now have been obsessed with the hearts of Romaine lettuce (the white stem parts, NOT the leafy green parts -- it works out very well for our salads!). When Rosalind was teething, I'd stick the white pieces in the freezer, and that worked very well. Zoe's favorite treats were baby carrots, but Rosalind won't eat them.
She's the least food-motivated dog I have ever met, with very notable exceptions for the aforementioned lettuce, beef, and peanut butter. She'll play with food, but she rarely finishes her food.

We need to get around to taking pictures with our FoT pouches! Since I've used mine more, the embossing is almost worn off, but the other one is still in good condition.

Badger
03-18-2012, 07:56 PM
I made a salad tonight (see recipe below) and the dogs were pretty funny about it. When I was prepping the fennel, I was feeding them bites of it, and they were like "crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch . . ." and being kind of pokey about eating it. Once we had dressed the salad and were about to sit down, I gave them some fennel and they were like, "gulp." They really prefer their salad dressed (and blue cheesed, natch).

Salad that my Corgis Like:
halve a fennel bulb lengthwise; core and shave paper-thin with a chef's knife. Dump in a bowl. Peel a green apple, core, and julienne. Dump that into the bowl, too. Chop up about 1 TBSP of fennel fronds. Into the bowl. Toast a big handful of pecans, and crumble up a nice hunk of blue cheese, like Cashel or Gorgonzola dolce. Don't dump in bowl just yet (ha! gotcha!).

Make a dressing of 1.5 TBSP lemon juice, 1.5 tsp white wine or champagne vinegar, 1 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/4 c olive oil, and S/P to taste. Dress the salad with this dressing and add extra pepper and maybe a little extra salt, too. Top with pecans and blue cheese. Feed to corgis from the table, saving the pecans and biggest chunks of cheese for yourself because they don't take the time to savor it, the philistines.