Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,284   Posts: 197,840   Members: 7,231   Active Members: 188
Welcome to our newest member, txtrigg.

Three-week trip with an Aeronaut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Badger
    Volunteer ********* Alumni
    • Apr 2011

Three-week trip with an Aeronaut

Advanced warning: many lists.

Mrs B and I are taking off tomorrow for our three-week trip to Europe, hard core one-bag style. I am carrying an Aeronaut and Mrs B is carrying an old-school Patagonia MLC. We are both limited to one bag (NOT one bag + personal) and it has to be 11 kilos (17 lbs) or less.

Here's my list:
    To wear on the plane: shirt, pants, etc., and Vivobarefoot Neos with the insoles removed for extra ground feel. I'm wearing both of my jackets (fleece and rain) as well.
    In pockets: headphones, iPhone, pen, notebook, hemp organizer wallet, gum, lip balm, sunglasses. Hat, gloves, and scarf.

Clothes: jeans, cashmere sweater, merino sweater, 1 technical T-shirt, 2 regular T-shirts, hoody, gym shorts to wear around the rental apartment. 2 pairs of chonies and socks.

Electronics: Olympus PEN E-PL2 with a 20mm f1.7 aspherical lens (in a Side Effect). iPad in cache. A couple of extra SD cards and an iPad SD card reader. Plug converter, iPad charger, and PPU clip for charging the camera battery (thanks for the recommendation, FrankII). All the chargers and stuff will be in my FOT pouch.

Toiletries: contact cleaner (so many little bottles), toothbrush and toothpaste, moisturiser, eye drops, blister stick, band-aids, kleenex, advil, deodorant. Dr. Bronner's soap for hand washing.

Etc: a few teabags, a little bag of nuts, Klean Kanteen, rosary, sink stopper, reusable grocery bag. I'm also pleased that I fit in my Medium Café Bag, empty, to use as an EDC upon our arrival.

The whole bag weighs 12.8 pounds, which is great because my clothes aren't particularly small (something to take care of in 2012, I guess).

Mrs B is taking the following:
    To wear on the plane: something she calls her Khloe Kardashian outfit (after 12 years I still find her ways inscrutable). Basically yoga skirt, t-shirt, and North Face jacket. All black, natch. She has to wear her knee-high boots onto the plane, and she will carry her down coat and hat.

In her Small Café Bag, which will be stowed in her MLC: sunglasses, organizer wallet, passport pouch with both of our passports, LeSportsac makeup bag with stuff inside, gum, paper, pens.

Clothes: 2 Ibex wool dresses, jeans, 3 tops, pajamas, socks, tights and smalls. Dress raincoat. A silk scarf. Merrell Barefoot Pace Gloves. (Jewelry to be bought in Italy, I suppose . . .)

Toiletries: I'm . . . not sure, exactly. They fit into a 1-qt Ziploc, though.

Electronics: A Kindle in a cache.

Etc.: a Klean Kanteen, and a resuable grocery bag.

Altogether, her stuff weighs in at around 12 pounds.

We will be in Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, and the Veneto, gorging on museums and churches and open-air markets. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to post but I hope to check in periodically. I'm so pleased that our TB stuff will accompany us on this trip, and I assure you that many photos are forthcoming.

Best wishes to all of you for the holidays and all your travels and adventures.
  • Jenne
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2008

Awesome! I don't bring jewelry when I go to Italy, but somehow I come back with jewelry! Buon viaggio!
    Current carry: Super Ego, various pouches, I/O (when shooting). Incorporating the FIELD JOURNAL!!!! Next up on wishlist: S25 and SE (June 2016)

Comment

• Frank II
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2009

I might be missing something, but how are you going to charge the camera, ppuclip and kindle?
      Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers.

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Comment

• Maria
        Forum Member
        • Dec 2010

Bon voyage Badger and Mrs. B! Impressive packing list for three weeks....especially in winter temperatures. (Santa won't be bringing me an Aeronaut sadly, but it's still on my wish list!)

Merry Christmas!
        "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Comment

• ncb4
          Forum Member
          • Mar 2007

Have a wonderful (and safe) adventure! And do make sure, as Frank II noted, that you don't forget to take your chargers; it would be awful to be without your camera especially (and do you like the Pen? I've got an Olympus e620 which I love, but I do drool occasionally over the Pen line).

My only worry is the Corgis: who is taking care of them while their parents are off gallivanting around Italia? My Newf Yukon wants to know, since His Neurotic-ness pitched a six-month fit of the worst separation anxiety I've ever had the dubious pleasure of experiencing after the sole time we dared to leave him in a kennel.

Buon Natale!

Comment

• misterN
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2011

Good luck with your trip! I'm getting ready for my voyage trip with my Aeronaut to Phoenix and I'm having trouble figuring out what setup/what I'm going to pack for down there.
            Super Ego w/Seat Belt Buckle [Black/Steel/Wasabi], Cadet 13/15 [Cardinal/Steel], Aeronaut 45 [Cardinal/Steel], 13" Ristretto (Old) [Olive/Cayenne], Synapse 19 [Indigo/Iberian], Camera I/O, and a whole bunch of other goodies.

Comment

• Badger
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Frank II View Post
              I might be missing something, but how are you going to charge the camera, ppuclip and kindle?
              Plug into iPad charger, plug iPad charger into plug converter, and presto! It's been working like a dream so far.

Comment

• Badger
                • Apr 2011

Hi everyone! Just a quick post to say Buon Natale and hello from Italy! I'll have much more to say when we get back, but really quick: carrying our stuff has made this trip fantastic, and traveling light, even in winter, has been much easier than we thought. We learned that everyone on Alitalia eschews the one-bag rule, which means I can hand-carry my two Buon Ricordo plates rather than stuff them into the Aeronautic on the return flight. They would definitely fit, though!

ncb4, I like the PEN. It's not the fastest camera in terms of shutter speed, and I'm still getting used to the Pany lens, but it's working well. To be honest, I'm using the camera on my phone way more. Thank you for asking about the corgis. A local pet sitter is watching them in her home. One of their corgi friends is with them right now, so I'm sure they're happy. Some people's dogs get sad and won't eat when they're sent to the pet sitter, but this is not the case with ours.

Hope you're all well, and I am looking forward to reading about all of your holiday travels and escapades when we get back!

Comment

• Badger
                  • Apr 2011

Hi everyone,
                  we're back and all is well in the Badger household. (Hector got a haircut today! It makes him look like a corgi.) I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport. I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much. While I'm not sure that I'd always be able to travel without a camera, I feel like that's a good thing to know about myself. Astoundingly, I got a magnificent picture with bokeh on my phone, something I have never been able to achieve with a camera. (It will never be replicated, so I need to keep working at my camera skillz.)

It's great to be back! I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!

Comment

• dlg
                    Forum Member
                    • Dec 2011

Badger, who does pet-sitting in the Iowa City area? Is it a friend or a business? We've always kenneled our dogs in Blue Grass, IA (west of Davenport) but I'm always looking for alternatives.

Comment

• Badger
                      • Apr 2011

dlg, I gotta say: I wouldn't recommend this lady. She's nice but her house is chaos. We sent the dogs with 5 weeks worth of food (just in case), and when we picked it up, it was ALL.GONE. I'm not sure if she fed it all to ours, or if she fed it to the other dogs she was looking after, but I wasn't pleased. The food was really expensive, and it's very calorie dense. Basically the whole world knows that corgis put on weight really easily, so if she was free-feeding, it's very irresponsible. Titus came home with a bit of a gut, and poor Hector was all matted (hence the need for a haircut today). They seemed OK psychologically, so that's what's important, but it was all too nerve-wracking for me and the Mrs.

I have a colleague who uses a pet-sitter up in Solon. I might give them a call and see what they're like. Could you also PM me with the name of the people in Blue Grass?

Pics of Hector's haircut to come shortly . . .

Comment

• Maria
                        Forum Member
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                        Hi everyone,
                        we're back and all is well in the Badger household. (Hector got a haircut today! It makes him look like a corgi.) I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport. I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much. While I'm not sure that I'd always be able to travel without a camera, I feel like that's a good thing to know about myself. Astoundingly, I got a magnificent picture with bokeh on my phone, something I have never been able to achieve with a camera. (It will never be replicated, so I need to keep working at my camera skillz.)

It's great to be back! I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!
                        Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. B!

But the poor Corgi's! Have Hector and Titus given you the cold shoulder, or just so thrilled to have you home that they are turning themselves inside out with happiness? Or perhaps a brief moment of the former, emphasis on the later!

I do not yet have an Aeronaut, and plan on a navy / solar version when I can get one. It also leaves room for shopping purchases!

CHeers!

Comment

• Badger
                          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Maria View Post
                          Welcome home Mr. and Mrs. B!

But the poor Corgi's! Have Hector and Titus given you the cold shoulder, or just so thrilled to have you home that they are turning themselves inside out with happiness? Or perhaps a brief moment of the former, emphasis on the later!
                          Technically, Mrs B and I are both Mrs B. (I guess non-technically as well.)

And our corgis are eunuchs.

I really, really feel bad that Titus gained so much weight (it was like 2 lbs). Extra weight is so hard on the dwarf breeds, especially those with long backs. The dogs were happy to be home, overjoyed to see their stuff, and seemed to forget we had been away after about 24 hours. I'm also happy to report that thanks to having a normal diet again and lots of trips to the dog park, Titus is probably about 1/3 of the way back to his ideal weight of 28.5 lbs.

I totally agree that the Aeronaut is great for hauling home vacation booty. There was always an extra nook or cranny to stick things. It seriously did not let me down once.

Comment

• Maria
                            Forum Member
                            • Dec 2010

SOrry for my confusion! If only humans could diet so quickly and efficiently as Corgis! Glad to know they are really no worse for the trip. And of course happy to be back to normal.

I need an aeronaut, and "need" is not just as in "want" either!

Comment

• Lani
                              Forum Member
                              • Apr 2009

Badger, first off I have to say I *LOVE* that you kept posting updates in your thread. I was able to follow you as you went on your journey.

I have a number of photos from our trip to share with you all shortly, including a few of the FOT pouch as it made its way across Italy.
                              Oh, almost like Flat Stanley! I will be looking forward to this.

This is just an update to say that we wore or used everything we packed with us on this trip, except for the iPad stand that always sets off the metal detector in the airport.
                              I have a case that I can fold into a stand, and that seems to work well for me.

I'm also sad to report that because of the holidays, I was only able to acquire one Buon Ricordo plate, and not two. Oh well, I guess we'll have to go back.
                              Sounds like a great excuse to go back!

I think the big thing that I learned is that if I carry my phone, I will take pictures of everything in sight. If I carry a camera, not so much.
                              You too?!? I've been trying to think about why--for me, I think it's because with my phone, it's like just taking casual snapshots to share with my friends online. So I just snap away. I especially love taking snapshots of the dishes we order! With my camera, I feel like I have to compose a phohtohgrahff (pronounce it all snooty-like), and I don't think about it in terms of sharing... so I think that might be why I don't take as many. Heck, I don't even carry a camera with me anymore ever since I went to an iPhone 4 (not the newest 4S mind you).

I thought of all of you as I took photos of my pouches!
                              Can't wait to see your Flat Sta...er... Pouch pictures!

Comment

Working...
                              X