PDA

View Full Version : 3D clear organizer cube

bchaplin
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
I just got a 3D clear organizer cube with a recent order. What a cute concept! I was excited to try it, and like the idea of a container for my toiletries that I can keep fastened to my larger bag, and has a built-in hanger for use at my destination. However, I was tres disappointed to realize that it wouldn't fit all the items I normally carry in my Ziploc bag. :(

After a few tries, I gave up. I'll have to use my Ziploc bag. Maybe I can find some other use for the organizer.

snowbot
03-12-2012, 07:33 PM
There is an art to packing the 3D clear organizer. While it may hold slightly less than a quart Ziploc, it's never disintegrated on me while I was in the process of fishing it out to go through airport security.

My suggestion is to try it for a trip or two and see if it doesn't grow on you like it did me.

DQBunny
03-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I'm finding that the organizer doesn't work for me as a 3-1-1 bag. It does work for me though as a knitting notions back or to stash my spare electronics stuff.

Gabe
03-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I have two of them. One is my makeup bag, and the other is my 3-1-1 bag. I've carried over a week's worth of shampoo, toothpaste, fragrance, and body wash in it without a problem. And it went though security like a dream. I love love love it.

conejo23
03-13-2012, 05:33 AM
So does TSA accept this bag (in America) as a substitute for a quart ziplock bag? Their instructions are pretty specific and this technically doesn't qualify.

And judging from the OP, is it fair to say it doesn't have quite the same capacity or flexibility of a quart ziplock bag?

dorayme
03-13-2012, 06:33 AM
I had no issue using this as my 3-1-1 bag in CLT, SEA or ORD.

eta, 3D cube not CQPC

bchaplin
03-13-2012, 07:11 AM
I actually think the TSA would accept it, as other posters have reported. They seem increasingly lax about the 3-1-1 system anyway, and all your contents are visible. My only problem was that I need every mm of space the ziploc provides.. Part of the issue is that I bought some "go-tube" bottles to store my shampoo and conditioner in, and unfortunately they have an odd shape which makes it a little hard to fit. Also I have a lot of hair products.

bchaplin
03-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I'm finding that the organizer doesn't work for me as a 3-1-1 bag. It does work for me though as a knitting notions back or to stash my spare electronics stuff.

I do like the idea of using it to store my chargers. I could find them easily, the TSA wouldn't complain that they are all over the bag, and once on-site the bag has a built-in hanger.

kmcg
03-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Has anyone ever tried using a clear organizer pouch as a 3-1-1 bag? That's the size I am used to, and I'm just wondering if TSA folk would be sticklers for needing both front and back to be clear. It seems rather silly to require 2 clear sides, given that one side would normally be lying against the conveyer belt.

The 3D organizer looks nifty, but I did think it seemed shorter in height than would be ideal; it limits what size items can go inside.

Conejo23, I believe it is designed to have the same 1 liter capacity as regs require, but it is shorter because it is also 2" in thickness - as opposed to a perfectly flat plastic bag.

Yonkdaddy
03-13-2012, 10:41 AM
I've been using mine as a 3-1-1 for over a year. No problem anywhere in the US to date (SFO, LAS, LAX, ABQ, ORD, DFW, IAD, SAN, MIA, GRR, OGG. Also no problem in either Toronto or Heathrow. I'm quickly knocking on wood to prevent this statement from cursing me!

jeffmac
03-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I have used mine at BNA, SFO, SNA, DFW, TPA, LAX, MCO, ORD and FWA with no issues whatsoever.

Frank II
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
A clear organizer pouch would not work as the bag must be clear on both sides so they can see everything from all sides. In some cases, even zip lock bags with writing on it has been denied.

I use my 3d clear organizer bag to hold all the little incidentals one takes-- or at least I take: travel duct tape, tiny flashlights, immersion heater, collapsible cup, telescoping backscratcher (not kidding, this is heaven), ear plugs, and then some.

Lani
03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
A clear organizer pouch would not work as the bag must be clear on both sides so they can see everything from all sides. In some cases, even zip lock bags with writing on it has been denied.

While I've never had a problem with a Ziploc brand bag (because those have the big logo printed on one side), Frank makes a very good point; technically, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube does not qualify as a 3-1-1 toiletry bag because:

- The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is considerably bigger than quart size
- The Clear Quarter Packing Cube is not clear all the way through

The 3D cube is excellent for carrying and holding your stuff; just not a guarantee through security.

My suggestion is to pack all of your liquids into a quart-sized Ziploc bag, and then put that Ziploc bag on one of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube's sides.

When you are ready to go through airport security, take out the Ziploc bag from the cube and place it on your bin. If you want to try to keep everything together, put the cube on the bin... and then unzip the side with the Ziploc bag and just slide that baggie out and plop it on top of your cube (which you just lay down on its side). If there are any issues, they can quickly examine your Ziploc bag, and you should have no issues.

NOTE: This is regarding the Clear Quarter Packing Cube (the one with two sides), NOT the 3D Clear Organizer Cube that the OP was asking about.

I have used the 3D Clear Organizer Cube as a 3-1-1 toiletry kit, and have never had a problem with it. It meets the technical requirements of the TSA, and even the description for the product says you can use it that way.

TavaPeak
03-13-2012, 02:26 PM
A telescoping backscratcher (not kidding, this is heaven),

Frank, I read something this week about someone packing ultralight who took a backscratcher, and I don't think it was you. Can you share what the draw is? Because it's a pretty remarkable inclusion. ;-) My husband tends to use doorframes to scratch his back, and that doesn't take any room...

Darcy
03-13-2012, 02:55 PM
So does TSA accept this bag (in America) as a substitute for a quart ziplock bag? Their instructions are pretty specific and this technically doesn't qualify.

Just to clarify, as Lani did, the 3D Clear Quarter Cube *does* meet the TSA requirements for a 3-1-1 bag. It was designed to meet those requirements.

Frank II
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM
While I've never had a problem with a Ziploc brand bag (because those have the big logo printed on one side)

Lani, a logo is fine but there were some ziploc style bags with designs on them and those were the problem.

Frank, I read something this week about someone packing ultralight who took a backscratcher, and I don't think it was you. Can you share what the draw is? Because it's a pretty remarkable inclusion. ;-) My husband tends to use doorframes to scratch his back, and that doesn't take any room...

A doorframe just doesn't do it for me. My backscratcher is about the size of a spork, which Is also in my 3D cube and forgot to mention, and telescopes out for those hard to reach places. It weighs a few ounces. Everyone brings things that makes their trips a little more enjoyable. Lots of people take their computers with them. I make do with an Ipod Touch and a folding keyboard. Others take fancy camera equipment while I use a point and shoot and will soon trade that in for an Iphone camera instead. I like my backscratcher and immersion heater. It makes my travel more enjoyable. (And since I travel quite a bit on my own, I can't just turn to someone and say: "Can you scratch 'right there'."

The key to light travel is not who can take the least but to only take things you feel are needed; things you will definitely use. And that definition is different for everyone.

bchaplin
03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
My suggestion is to pack all of your liquids into a quart-sized Ziploc bag, and then put that Ziploc bag on one of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube's sides.

When you are ready to go through airport security, take out the Ziploc bag from the cube and place it on your bin...

I tried this -- it works very well! The Ziploc fits into one side of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, and the non-liquid toiletries (brush, etc.) are neatly contained on the other side. Very nice.

And just to clarify again, the Clear Quarter Packing Cube (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0915) is different from the 3D Clear Organizer Cube (http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/ACC/TB0917) that I originally posted about.

TavaPeak
04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Lani and bchaplin - great idea with the CQPC. (Lucky for me, a UV Dyneema CQPC is due to be delivered to me in 2 days. ;-) I like the idea of having all the stuff in one place, even though I also love the idea of tethering the 3D clear organizer to my bag. Nice to have some good options.

FrankII - I know you pack thoughtfully, and it's all about priorities! ;-) I've been eying those folding keyboards. What I really can't ever do without is a journal (small or big), and at least 3 black Uniball micro pens. Gotta have a scrap of paper for jotting stuff. A few years ago, my son (who was 4 at the time) drew me a "travel angel" when I went to Paris. A color copy of that little angel is pasted in every travel journal I take with me. And sometimes some quotes about flaneurie from "The Writer's Paris".

JLE
04-17-2012, 02:04 AM
A few years ago, my son (who was 4 at the time) drew me a "travel angel" when I went to Paris. A color copy of that little angel is pasted in every travel journal I take with me.

How gorgeous, TavaPeak. Have you still got the original too? Somewhere safe, I hope.

I take photos of my boys' various artistic creations in plasticine and paper and load them onto my iPad.

TavaPeak
04-17-2012, 07:02 AM
JLE, the phone and iPad are loaded with lots of kids' art! :) My current "icon" from Tyler is on my desk; it inspires me for a future trip:

Lani
04-17-2012, 11:54 AM
Lani, a logo is fine but there were some ziploc style bags with designs on them and those were the problem.

I guess I've seen holiday-themed ones with snowmen printed on them and stuff.

My backscratcher is about the size of a spork, which Is also in my 3D cube and forgot to mention, and telescopes out for those hard to reach places. It weighs a few ounces.

I actually have one of those I keep at my desk!! lol. I never thought to pack it, but that makes a lot of sense. This is the one I own: Telescopic Back Scratcher, Blue Plastic Handle (http://www.backscratcherworld.com/52-410.htm)

The foam handle makes ALL the difference in the world. This one seems to be a little sturdier than other telescoping ones I've had in the past. The one I have came with a green foam handle, and I bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond (probably at the impulse-buy display near the cash register).

Actually speaking of back scratchers, do you know what I can't do without? A Salux washcloth. I grew up with these since it's written into the Japanese constitution that every Japanese person must use one to scrub with. (not really. But it's like that; everybody in Japan uses one). These things will literally last you forever (I had one that lasted well over 10 years). They never get "dirty" because they dont' absorb any water; they just suds up, scrub you really well, and then you rinse it off and hang it to dry inside your shower stall.

No matter how light I pack, I always carry a Salux with me. I can't even imagine showering with a regular wash cloth; it would be like trying to scrub your pots and pans with Kleenex. They pack into nothing. You don't even really need to pack it in a plastic baggie because all you need to do if you have to pack it right after you take a shower, is to wring it dry in a bath towel. (Amazon.com: Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloth/Towel: Beauty (http://www.amazon.com/Salux-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Cloth/dp/B000CSDDDG))