PDA

View Full Version : Synaspe

mifcnm
03-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Has anyone used the Synaspe as a "day bag" in Europe and had a problem with pickpocketer's? Planning a trip to Paris and I'm trying to take only an Aeronaut and one other bag that would be a "purse" and hold my Nikon D5100 along with an iPad, Kindle and knitting. :o I know too much stuff.

Thanks

Melinda

misterN
03-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Has anyone used the Synaspe as a "day bag" in Europe and had a problem with pickpocketer's? Planning a trip to Paris and I'm trying to take only an Aeronaut and one other bag that would be a "purse" and hold my Nikon D5100 along with an iPad, Kindle and knitting. :o I know too much stuff.

Thanks

Melinda

While I cannot help you directly with the pickpocketing issue, I believe you won't have any issues carrying your camera and things you listed in the Synapse. Everything I've ever seen from that bag is that it is an exceptionally deceiving bag in terms of the amount of stuff you can get into it!

jannilee
03-29-2012, 08:53 AM
I would wear ANY backpack on the front to discourage pickpockets. I also use carabiners to connect the zippers of what ever bag I carry. I also attach my wallet to the bag. Once on the Accademia Bridge in Venice I let my bag swing toward the back and felt someone trying to get into it in time to swing it to the front. I would probably not carry my iPad with me during the day if there was somewhere secure to leave it at the hotel. There is a lot of good infoo on these forums about avoiding pickpockets.

Badger
03-29-2012, 09:34 AM
I second jannilee here. A bag you can carry across your front is good to have when you are in pickpocket-heavy locations. I too would ask myself if I really needed to carry my iPad and Kindle (and knitting) while sight-seeing. The number of people I saw wandering about with iPads this past December was very high, though, so having one may not make you as much of a target as you might think.

jannilee
03-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Of course one needs to carry SOME kntting ( a sock perhaps?) what would one do waiting in line without knitting? And one never knows when pointy sticks might come in handy.

Badger
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
what would one do waiting in line without knitting?

Two words: Doodle Jump.

moriond
03-29-2012, 09:32 PM

Thanks

Melinda
Hi Melinda,

Take a look through notmensa's suggestions in the `Locking' zippers on the Synapse thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/customer-pictures-video/2519-locking-zippers-synapse.html).

moriond

Katy
03-30-2012, 06:51 AM

Draw something FTW!

gochicken
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Or: Tiny Wings

jeffmac
03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Draw something FTW!

DOH! Another addiction!

mfeinstein
03-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Melinda,

Take a look through notmensa's suggestions in the `Locking' zippers on the Synapse thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/customer-pictures-video/2519-locking-zippers-synapse.html).

moriond

This might just be my paranoid nature, but I think I would rather not lock the zippers on a backpack and risk a pickpocket getting something out of it, then walking around looking like I am trying to protect something very valuable which may entice a mugger.

For me, the only time I really worry about pickpockets is when I am somewhere that people are grouped together very tightly. In which case I prefer to carry my backpack by the top handle just to avoid smacking people as I maneuver through a crowd.

Katy
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
DOH! Another addiction!

Youuuuuu're welcome!!!!!

I may or may not have bought a stylus so I would be better at the game. I cannot confirm.

marbenais
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Of course one needs to carry SOME kntting ( a sock perhaps?) what would one do waiting in line without knitting? And one never knows when pointy sticks might come in handy.

Of course! But I've had some trouble getting knitting needles through security at airports. I've switched to bringing the circular ones, in larger sizes so they're not sharp, made of pastic and bamboo. They don't look threatening.

Something to do while waiting in lines . . . mass market paperbacks call to me.

jeffmac
03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Youuuuuu're welcome!!!!!

I may or may not have bought a stylus so I would be better at the game. I cannot confirm.

Ummm...also guilty as charged. It hasnt really helped my drawing all that much though...

jannilee
03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Huh! I haven't had problems with knitting needles since about 2003 and I do take 2.5mm sock needles. May be I don't look as dangerous as you :)

marbenais
03-30-2012, 04:21 PM
Huh! I haven't had problems with knitting needles since about 2003 and I do take 2.5mm sock needles. May be I don't look as dangerous as you :)

Yes, we 5'0" Casper-the-friendly-ghost females look very dangerous :p

moriond
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Yes, we 5'0" Casper-the-friendly-ghost females look very dangerous :p
Crochet hooks look very non-threatening, and satisfy the need to keep the hands busy.

moriond