PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye Imago

peregrina
05-27-2012, 06:49 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this... but my husband's Imago was stolen in Barcelona yesterday in a moment of carelessness.. there were lots of electronic stuff in it but the main loss was the bag itself and his passport...

Badger
05-27-2012, 06:52 AM
That's terrible. I hope that you can get a replacement passport right away.

maverick
05-27-2012, 07:09 AM
i'm so sorry to hear that!

it will help to get a travel document or replacement passport if he has a copy of the picture page of his passport. if he didn't pack one in another bag, if you have a copy at home, you can scan and email it to him, or fax it to the hotel.

good luck! let us know how this resolves!

maverick
05-27-2012, 07:24 AM
hi!

just a quick thought - if your husband doesn't have a copy of the picture page of his passport, ask him to check with the hotel (if he's staying at one) to see if they made a copy of it. at least in india, i've noticed that hotels do that.

Sera
05-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you had such a lousy thing happen. :(

moriond
05-27-2012, 10:53 AM
So sorry to hear this. Lots of sympathy, and please let us know how this turns out.

moriond

peregrina
05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately we didn't stay in a hotel. We rented an apartment from a friend. All we have is the passport number and expiry date. The consulate is closed until tuesday so we'll be going then to figure out what to do. The passport is relatively new, I'm not sure we have a copy of it even at home... :( I did take a picture of my passport before we came and told my husband to take a picture of his but he ended up forgetting and I forgot to do it...

hi!

just a quick thought - if your husband doesn't have a copy of the picture page of his passport, ask him to check with the hotel (if he's staying at one) to see if they made a copy of it. at least in india, i've noticed that hotels do that.

Stacybean
05-27-2012, 04:14 PM
Best of luck with these challenging circumstances!

notmensa
05-28-2012, 04:09 AM
Oh no! What an awful thing to happen on your holiday. :-(
Fingers crossed the consulate is helpful & efficient....

ncb4
05-28-2012, 05:58 AM
This is awful! I'm so sorry to hear about this, and I hope that when the consulate opens on Tuesday they are able to help you swiftly and with good grace, even without the picture of your husband's passport. He didn't lose his laptop, too, did he? And of course, it's so sad about the beautiful Imago...

This doesn't help you now, but I'm so paranoid about losing passports that I don't just carry a paper copy of the photo page, I keep a scan in a secure folder on Dropbox. I especially worry about my son who is an ex-pat living and traveling abroad. So if even if his paper copy of the passport should be lost or stolen, and his laptop, too, all he needs is access to anyone else's computer to get another copy of it.

I hope somehow that you and your husband are still able to enjoy your holiday despite this! Please keep us posted, if you can.

~Nancy

peregrina
05-28-2012, 07:07 AM
I usually take a picture of our passports and keep it on dropbox or email them to myself. Since we have new passports, I told my husband to take a picture of his passport but we both forgot. I did take a picture of mine... Luckily, our catsitter was able to locate his previous passport and has emailed us a copy of that. We have also managed to get his passport number from the airline... hopefully that will help tomorrow.

He didn't have a laptop with him but he had his ipad 2, ipod touch, a GPS, and a fancy lightmeter for his manual camera... we were on our way to the train station so the bag was fully packed... :(

This doesn't help you now, but I'm so paranoid about losing passports that I don't just carry a paper copy of the photo page, I keep a scan in a secure folder on Dropbox. I especially worry about my son who is an ex-pat living and traveling abroad. So if even if his paper copy of the passport should be lost or stolen, and his laptop, too, all he needs is access to anyone else's computer to get another copy of it.

~Nancy

bchaplin
05-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Aw, so sorry! Well, let us know how it goes. This must happen to a lot of people, so I'm sure the consulate has a system for handling it efficiently.

Walker
05-28-2012, 12:47 PM
I add my hopes that your embassy help you resolve your lost passport issue soonest.

Maria
05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Peregrina! So sorry to learn this news. Hope your husband can get a replacement passport straight away.

Good luck and safe trip the rest of the way home for you both!

peregrina
05-30-2012, 01:15 PM
After much scraping to locate the number of the lost passport and the picture of an old passport, we made our way to the Canadian consulate in Barcelona bright and early on Tuesday morning. We are currently staying in a town 1:30 hour by train from Barcelona and had to catch the 7:15 AM train to make sure to be there when the consulate opened at 9 AM.

We saw an official right away, who gave us all kinds of forms to fill and photocopied the police report. Once the forms were filled, they would issue my husband a temporary passport (a white one) that would be valid for 2 years. Once in Canada, he is supposed to contact his local passport office and request his blue passport, which would issued automatically, since the forms we filled then would be valid for both passports. I asked her if she wanted the number of the previous passport. She said no. She also didn't want to see the picture of the old passport. The trickiest thing about getting a new passport? Having to come up with the names, addresses, and phone numbers of four people who knew him for at least 2 years. We have lots of friends but we don't really have their mail addresses. I have a list for Christmas cards at home but most of our closest friends have moved recently. To make matters worse, it was 5 AM in Canada, so we couldn't really email anyone and expect an answer anytime soon. Luckily, it turns out that the referees don't have to be Canadian or be residing in Canada so we were able to use our friends in Spain as referees.

Lesson learned: sure, bring a copy of your passport with you but don't forget to also have in hand the addresses and phone numbers of four friends who have agreed to act as a referee should you need to put their names down on a passport application!

Maria
05-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Peregrina - despite the hassle, at least you have the new passport! Phew! As a Canadian too, I was not aware of the "four friends" required for a replacement. Good to know!

Glad that part worked out!

Scattered
05-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Sorry to hear of your horrible holiday luck. It must be a horrible feeling to lose so much gear at one time. Glad to hear the consulate was able to replace your husband's passport without maximizing the hassle!

backpack
05-30-2012, 09:55 PM
So sorry for the loss and thank you so much for taking the time to share with us what you did to resolve at least part of the problem.

peregrina
05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
oh well, we lost mostly just *stuff*. Insurance will probably replace some of it... at least the bank cards and other IDs were not in the bag... that would have been more of a headache!

malamalama
06-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm glad to hear your husband's getting a replacement. Now that you can breath a sigh of relief over that, you mentioned his lightmeter was taken, but you didn't mention his camera. I hope that was safe and in another bag. I'm always so worried about the pictures I take while on vacation. I even have the cable to connect the camera to an iPad2 in order to save images, but didn't bother to use it the last time I was on vac. At least he can get another passport. I have a feeling the pictures are irreplaceable.

peregrina
06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
The camera was indeed in another bag, which is good since it was my husband's favourite camera, a minolta autocord:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2599/4117506719_ef1ef1f815.jpg

He lost a few rolls of colour film (the only 3 rolls of colour film he brought, since he shoots mostly b&w), but that was about it in terms of photography.

I'm glad to hear your husband's getting a replacement. Now that you can breath a sigh of relief over that, you mentioned his lightmeter was taken, but you didn't mention his camera. I hope that was safe and in another bag. I'm always so worried about the pictures I take while on vacation. I even have the cable to connect the camera to an iPad2 in order to save images, but didn't bother to use it the last time I was on vac. At least he can get another passport. I have a feeling the pictures are irreplaceable.

Walker
06-02-2012, 11:37 AM
THAT is a beautiful camera! Like, like, like!

peregrina
06-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Walker! We shot mostly digital for a while but then I picked up my own 35mm SLR and was astounded by the depth of colour and the quality of the images straight out of the camera. I still have my DSLR and a digital point and shoot (and I shoot a lot with my iphone) but we also shoot a LOT with film cameras and my husband is particularly into medium format, which he prefers above all else.

THAT is a beautiful camera! Like, like, like!

Walker
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks Walker! We shot mostly digital for a while but then I picked up my own 35mm SLR and was astounded by the depth of colour and the quality of the images straight out of the camera. I still have my DSLR and a digital point and shoot (and I shoot a lot with my iphone) but we also shoot a LOT with film cameras and my husband is particularly into medium format, which he prefers above all else.

Nothing beats the medium format. And while I appreciate how digital technology allows practically anyone to take photos and videos these days, film photography still rules IMO. There is active thought process and discipline that go into shooting film. Even the p&s film cameras required discipline and taking the shot in your vision before pressing the shutter. I am VERY happy that you did not lose your Minolta Autocord.

malamalama
06-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I am VERY happy that you did not lose your Minolta Autocord.

I second that. Wow, what a camera.

bunchgrass
06-03-2012, 06:39 AM
The camera picture brings back memories. It reminds me of the Rolleiflex my Dad used when I was growing up.
I'm glad you didn't lose your camera.

ncb4
06-03-2012, 09:26 AM
It is a beautiful camera: almost as much a work of art as the photos your husband takes with it. I'm sure it be far more difficult to replace than a digital camera, so I'm very glad it wasn't stolen, too.

Maria
06-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Despite the hassle, stress, and aggravation of having to replace the passport, it would have been more of a heartache if anything happened to that beautiful classic camera!

peregrina
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Walker,

You are right. When I shoot with my film SLR, nearly every picture in a roll is well composed and I like nearly all of them. With the DSLR, I don't know, perhaps I don't think as much but I shoot 50 pictures and like fewer than 10... if that...

One of the plus sides of shooting film is that we always meet interesting people. People see us with these old cameras and come to talk to us, to ask questions, etc... It's a really great conversation starter!

peregrina
06-07-2012, 02:11 PM
After I posted about my husband's loss of his Imago with all his stuff, another Tom Bihn forum member contacted me asking if I'd be interested on her Imago. She would send it to us free of charge since she felt she wasn't using it as much as she thought she would. I offered her my ID, which I also haven't been using as much and we swapped bags. The Imago arrived today and I'll be shipping the ID back to her tomorrow! Thanks once again Kim!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7224/7349496698_dffc329eae_n.jpg

Maria
06-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Look at that big smile on his face! What a lovely turn of events once you got home to find that two families can benefit from a bag swap!

Scattered
06-07-2012, 05:59 PM
After I posted about my husband's loss of his Imago with all his stuff, another Tom Bihn forum member contacted me asking if I'd be interested on her Imago. She would send it to us free of charge since she felt she wasn't using it as much as she thought she would. I offered her my ID, which I also haven't been using as much and we swapped bags. The Imago arrived today and I'll be shipping the ID back to her tomorrow! Thanks once again Kim!

What an awesome think to do for you/for each other. Kudos.