Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,302   Posts: 197,939   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

London Wedding and Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stacybean
    Forum Member
    • May 2012

London Wedding and Italy

Hello knowledgeable travelers! I am attending a formal London Wedding and rehearsal dinner on Oct 19& 20 and then spending about a week in Italy. I am planning to use an Aeronaut and Synapse. As a woman, this requires elaborate costuming and different wardrobes. Regretfully I cannot use a fleece or Smart wool hoodie over a formal outfit. I welcome any suggestions about what would work ( pashminas and shawls and perhaps freeze a little in transit? A lightweight cape?) or minimalist lists for the Venice/Florence leg. With thanks, Stacy
  • gochicken
    TB Ravelry *********
    • Feb 2012

Hi Stacybean,
    I'm not sure what kind of dress you will be wearing, but I have attended formal events in the cold (outside and at night) in long, elegant dresses and wearing layers of long underwear underneath! Silk is warm and lightweight and would pack well. Of course for your shoulders a pretty shawl would be nice. Hope you have a great time!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Comment

• notmensa
      Forum Member
      • Sep 2009

I've got a small cream angora cardigan that I used over my wedding dress in winter - I can highly recommend that as a warm, lightweight option for over a formal dress.

A pashmina is another great idea, especially ones made of merino, cashmere or angora. A merino camisole top or singlet under your outfit would also help keep your core warm.

If you're wearing a long dress, you could also wear merino 3/4 tights underneath for extra warmth. I'm addicted to Icebreaker, so have them in two weights - Pace legless is 200 g/m2 and Express legless is 260 g/m2. Both have lycra in them so they fit well and don't sag. I've worn them over my pantihose under a long dress or skirt. I pull them up a little so they hit just below the knee rather than mid calf. (I also wear them under my jeans on the plane because I get really cold during long haul flights.)

Hope that gets you started. Good luck!! Do let us know what you decide!

-n
      Last edited by notmensa; 09-16-2012, 03:05 AM.

Comment

• Stacybean
        Forum Member
        • May 2012

Gochicken, Thanks for the silk underwear idea. No dress for me but black pants and camisole in either velvet or something slinky with a red silk jacket.I am leaning towards the shawl concept or a cape.

Comment

• Stacybean
          Forum Member
          • May 2012

Thanks notmensa, I am leaning towards an alpaca cape. Merino tights saved the day for me in northern India in the winter for sure. I have really bulky ones so Icebreaker is a hot tip.

Comment

Working...
          X