PDA

View Full Version : Co-Pilot as Every-day Carry

dasher
01-02-2013, 11:56 PM
I use the Co-pilot as my Every-day bag. I carry my wonderful Macbook Air 11" in a hardshell, 8.5x11 folder for papers, mini toiletry pouch (small eagle creek zipper bag), another E.C. packing tube (packed with my Anesthesia emergency gear). All of that is in the back, main zipper section

In the front I keep pens and keys wallet on one side, Snacks in the middle "water bottle" section, and a portable speaker for the O.R. as well as a small electronics pouch and wallcharger for the MBA in the other front section.

I'm very happy with the construction, fit and finish.

The fit is a bit tight for the MBA. If the bag were just 1/2" wider the laptop and folder would be easier to get in and out.
I wonder if a judicious amount of wall padding would add a bit of structure and protection to the back section without adding too much bulk.

I'm 6'4" and don't feel like this is a purse at all. It carries like a small briefcase.
I will also use it as a day bag while traveling.
A serious onebagger might make this work for a short trip.

Overall the bag is highly recommended.
I am considering a small-size Cadet as an alternative... but I hear whispers of a slightly larger Co-pilot which would be preferable. The Zephyr might make things "easier" temporarily, but the extra space would get filled, then I'd be lugging around more than I needed.

cucciasv
01-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Welcome to the TB fora, Dasher!

I love the Co-Pilot as a Murse. I, too, am a big guy at 6'2". It's just the right size for my tech and a lot more. When I had a hospital stay for a week in the spring (to discover why I was losing vision in one eye), the Co-Pilot would travel with me on the gurney when I'd be rolled around like a sack of potatoes to all the various tests.

It's a good companion. I have a second one in Iberian Dyneema just filled with gadgets, cables and adapters for my Apple consulting practice. God, I love Iberian Dyneema!!

My finger is firmly poised over the BUY button for when the larger model comes out. (Rumored to be called the Pilot)

Someone please help me!
I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

dasher
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Welcome to the TB fora, Dasher!

I love the Co-Pilot as a Murse. I, too, am a big guy at 6'2". It's just the right size for my tech and a lot more. When I had a hospital stay for a week in the spring (to discover why I was losing vision in one eye), the Co-Pilot would travel with me on the gurney when I'd be rolled around like a sack of potatoes to all the various tests.

It's a good companion. I have a second one in Iberian Dyneema just filled with gadgets, cables and adapters for my Apple consulting practice. God, I love Iberian Dyneema!!

My finger is firmly poised over the BUY button for when the larger model comes out. (Rumored to be called the Pilot)

Someone please help me!
I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Thats funny - I was thinking how perfect a dyneema one would be for just that purpose! So light is could be packable itself full of gear inside a larger bag for travel, then used as a day bag on arrival.

kellie16
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I have a black/UV Co-Pilot which I love and use as my EDC, but have had to sideline it this week as I have needed just a bit more space. I am going to be all over the Pilot!

BrianI
01-30-2013, 11:07 AM
Thats funny - I was thinking how perfect a dyneema one would be for just that purpose! So light is could be packable itself full of gear inside a larger bag for travel, then used as a day bag on arrival.
I just received my new Co-Pilot ... in Nordic Dyneema! My 1st pref was Black / Wasabi, but I didn't want to wait ... and was very intrigued by the idea of a lighter Dyneema bag.

I like the color - it's definitely quickly grown on me, and makes a nice change from my all-black tendencies.

More so, I love the lighter weight (6 oz savings over the traditional Co-Pilot).

Having used the bag for the last day and a half (I'm currently in SF, and need to commute back still), I totally get this bag for EDC. Totally. It's entirely unencumbering, and I love the pocket arrangement, and aquaproof zippers (and no messenger flap).

None of which means I don't want a second in Black / Wasabi, mind you. :)

BrianI
02-02-2013, 09:14 AM
I am absolutely loving my Co-Pilot. The Nordic Dyneema looks really sharp with the black piping and zipper pulls and such. Been using it for EDC since arrival; my Smart Alec is jealous, but understands.
Having spent a few days loading it up, I'm impressed with how small and tight the bag is while packing it all in. The ability to carry letter sized paperwork easily, and magazines, is great. I have the interior pockets fitted with TB pouches; the front right pocket has a Maxpedition organizer (Fatty) for the time being (owing to its internal organization).

I also see being able to easily move between the Co-Pilot at SA efficiently; mainly reslotting my wallet, phone, pens, and a few pouches.

Shiva
02-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Hi there: i have had little success in fitting in letter sized paperwork unless i am putting it in directly. I can't fit a letter sized folder in there--especially the plastic ones. I have not tried paper ones. any info on how you do that would be great..or a close up picture. I used plastic folders in which you can put a bunch of papers....I have ones from levenger.

BrianI
02-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi there: i have had little success in fitting in letter sized paperwork unless i am putting it in directly. I can't fit a letter sized folder in there--especially the plastic ones. I have not tried paper ones. any info on how you do that would be great..or a close up picture. I used plastic folders in which you can put a bunch of papers....I have ones from levenger.
I've been using just magazines and papers directly, but added a couple folders just now - one plain manilla, one plastic (Davidco). A tight fit, but they seem to fit ok nonetheless.

Shiva
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
thank you. I wonder if the new Dyneema gives a bit and so makes this possible. Mine is a really really tight fit in the old ballistic..and I have to push and pull to zip it shut....

ncb4
02-04-2013, 05:46 AM
@Shiva, I do think the fabric may make a difference in how much give—and thus space—the Co-Pilot has. I have an older Indigo Co-Pilot, and I can fit my 11-inch Macbook Air inside it, inside a flapped wool felt case that I sewed for it, and with a layer of padding on the bottom of the bag. Yes, it's a close fit, but still I have no trouble getting the Air in and out of the Co-Pilot. I briefly had an Aubergine CP: and to my surprise, I couldn't fit my MBA-11 inside it; I couldn't get the zipper of the main compartment closed, and the bag felt smaller overall in terms of what I could squeeze in it. Both the Indigo and the Aubergine CP are made of Ballistic fabric, but I think there may be a difference in the give of the different dyes. So I can definitely see that there would be a difference between Ballistic and Dyneema. Anyway, although I love Aubergine and have a few other bags in it, I sadly had to return this CP.

BrianI
02-04-2013, 02:34 PM
thank you. I wonder if the new Dyneema gives a bit and so makes this possible. Mine is a really really tight fit in the old ballistic..and I have to push and pull to zip it shut....
Yea, I'm willing to bet it's a result of the Dyneema. It seems to be a little more forgiving that way.

Shiva
02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
interesting. I suppose the dyes do make a difference....although I am a bit taken aback that it could make such a difference (between fitting and not fitting a MacBook Air). My Macbook air does fit in a tight sleeve--and it is fine. I have a Steel co-pilot. I still have a hard time with the letter size paper without squishing it. Darcy: any thoughts on this? I don't know if this is cos the Co_pilot is so strict in its dimensions? I don't notice this much difference in Cafe Bags, for instance...

BrianI
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
So, funny thing happened on the way to the forum ... or on the way to SF via BART. I had my Dyneema Co-Pilot with me, and reasonably loaded - both back pouches full, my iPad, two magazines (HBR & MIT Tech Review), that plastic file folder, and in the front pockets, a clear org in the right, and stuff in both pocket slots, my wallet clipped in, iPhone.

I have TB Absolute strap, and so the bag was pretty darned comfortable.

There was enough stuffed in it that the bag conforms / flexes as it hangs - the Dyneema has less structure to it. Not a problem. I did note when it does it, I can't really get a magazine or papers in that very back pocket. Seems a trade off against the ballistic (which I bet does not conform).

I reached down to feel the side / bottom of the bag, though, and noticed something sharp. I'll make a long story short - the plastic file folder had shifted just so, and the bottom corner was poking "through" the Dyneema. That's in quotes because the material didn't rip or hole or anything - just pulled taut in a spot over that corner.

Some fiddling had it adjust and not poke - I think it depends on where it rests (on seam, etc.). When I got to the office, though,I pulled the folder and asked my admin to send it back with the next internal mail delivery - not risking my bag. ;)

Also, this is in no way a complaint - just an FYI / update.

kellie16
02-07-2013, 11:56 PM
When I got to the office, though,I pulled the folder and asked my admin to send it back with the next internal mail delivery - not risking my bag. ;)

Good call! i like how you roll ;)

BrianI
02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
The standard load-out for my Co-Pilot:
Someone had commented elsewhere "Can you really fit all that in?" ... to which I say, yes. And a few more things if I needed to. But, it is near max load I think.

Love the bag.

BJ Nemeth
03-14-2013, 12:11 AM
I always found the Co-Pilot somewhat appealing, but never seriously considered it for myself -- until now.

I'm making some relatively big changes to the things I pack when I travel (I travel frequently for work, flying out for a week at a time), which is a perfect time to re-evaluate my bags to make sure they best suit my needs. And I'm suddenly taking a close look at bags like the Co-Pilot and the Synapse that I had never even slightly considered before.

When I'm not on the road, I work from home, so an Everyday Carry bag is only an occasional thing for me, but the Co-Pilot is definitely in the running for that spot. (I love that it stores a water bottle in the center rather than off to the side.)

Mausermama
03-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm trying to justify the need for a Copilot. Currently I vacillate between my Imago and Synapse for EDC, and don't, strictly speaking need one, but I love the styling of the bag (especially the water bottle pocket). As I am a knitter, I would want the bag to hold a regular yarn stuff sack, my Kindle Keyboard, a side effect, and small pouches to carry knitting tools and electronics tools. Occasionally, I would want to take my iPad out in it as well. Oh, and of course my iPhone and my water bottle. My Imago is near perfect except it doesn't have a dedicated water bottle area. Maybe I should hold our for a larger version?

dnarud13
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
My EDC has been a very nice Piquadro (I consider them the Italian TB) Pearson leather small computer crossover. It's quite dressy and is fine for business or a day in town but I want something more roomy and rugged for weekend outings. Eagerly awaiting my new black Co-Pilot.

marcus
04-15-2013, 09:39 AM
My EDC has been the Synapse but I am strongly considering the Co-Pilot as an EDC. Also, when I occasionally travel on business, the Synapse does not look at business like as I believe the Co-Pilot would look, IMHO. I am also working toward paperless and the Co-Pilot would fit that goal well, as I carry as much on my iPad as possible. Nice thread.

dnarud13
04-15-2013, 11:39 AM
I've had my CP for a couple weeks now and have relegated the Piquadro to the wardrobe. The CP is ideal for the paperless tablet/ultrabook crowd. It's exactly what I hoped it would be!

Siriusguy
05-05-2013, 05:19 AM
I purchased my Steel Gray ballistic Co-Pilot primarily for a just completed two week trip to Israel. Inside the country we traveled about by bus. We walked an average of 5 miles a day, including a lot of stairs and rough ground. Many places were very crowded. Space inside the bus was also very tight. One day while in Jordan I probably walked 8 miles at Petra. The Co-Pilot as expected proved to be the absolutely optimal choice for this sort of trip.

The ability to fit the bag over the handles of my role on carrying case was very useful. During transit I carried my iPad and various chargers, but generally left these at my hotel when possible. For this bag and this type of traveling I think the iPad Mini would be better. I typically carried my passport, a larger point-and-shoot camera, water bottle, pens and I care of small flashlights, pair of 10x28 binoculars, birding guide folder, my iPhone 4S, Sunglasses, Kangol cap, Kestrel wind meter, Arcteryx windbreaker, and the small radio set our guide utilized.

For security I always try to make sure that all of the zippers were closed, protection from dust and drizzle another reason for such. I used to the standard strap never really felt that I needed the Absolute strap. I expect to continue using the bag for all future travel and additionally, for much every day carry.

Stp
05-25-2013, 08:33 AM
For those of you using the Co-Pilot for EDC, how do you find the "waterproofness" of it. I'd be curious to hear about both the ballistic and dyneema versions.

I'm headed to the UK for two weeks this summer and am considering using the Co-Pilot as my day bag to hold my camera, guide book, rain jacket, etc. While I love the idea of a Dyneema Co-Pilot (which I could more easily stow in my main bag while traveling in country) I worry about how it would protect my gear from the wet British weather.

jujigatame
05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
I haven't had my Dyneema CP in the rain so far but with the aquaguard zippers I think it would fare pretty well. Zippers are usually the spot where water could most easily enter. If there's anything you really don't want to get wet you can use a sturdy ziplock or Aloksak as secondary protection.

autolycus
05-31-2013, 12:29 PM
I haven't had my Dyneema CP in the rain so far but with the aquaguard zippers I think it would fare pretty well. Zippers are usually the spot where water could most easily enter. If there's anything you really don't want to get wet you can use a sturdy ziplock or Aloksak as secondary protection.

I'll second this. You should be perfectly fine with either version. I do recommend carrying a 1 or 2 gallon ziplock freezer bag to quickly stuff any critical items like camera, lenses, etc. into in the event of being caught in a downpour for a while (to run to a 50-ft to a car would still be fine). Regular misty British rain won't be a problem at all for any length of time with just the co-pilot as protection. But if you're going to be in a monsoon for an extended period of time . . .

bchaplin
06-02-2013, 07:38 AM
As an experiment I took my new dyneema Co-Pilot, placed a paper in each section, closed the zippers carefully, and held it under the shower for a minute. I dried the exterior before opening the zippers and checking. Admittedly this may not be a completely fair test, but all the papers but one got wet. I think water infiltrated through the dyneema (which was damp on the inside). If I travel with it, I will take ziploc bags for electronics and my passport. I always carry a few spare ziploc bags when I travel anyway.

I have a dyneema synapse 19 and have walked with it in the rain, without anything on the interior getting wet. I'm not sure if this is due to a difference in design or if the shower stream was stronger than rain would be. I believe the Synapse has two layers whereas the Co-Pilot has one.

(I looked up Aloksaks. May be a nice alternative to Ziploc, particularly if they come in custom sizes.)

dasher
06-10-2013, 05:26 PM
UPDATE - 1050 ballistic is a wonder! I have been using the Co-pilot as an everyday carry bag for over 6 months now, and there is not a single sign of wear. The metal zipper pulls were switched out for Cord zipper pulls (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0516.html), which quiets the bag signifcantly.

Seabass25
06-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Man!!! The Nordic Dyneema is absolutely stunning!!!!!! Is the Nordic more of a dark blue in person?

bchaplin
06-29-2013, 10:10 AM
It is darker than the photos, it seems to me. The white lines make it appear lighter when viewed from a distance.

WenV
06-30-2013, 12:15 AM
I love the functionality of the Co-Pilot so much that I now own a second one. My first is the Cardinal (Ballistic) Co-Pilot which I have used for travel once and now use as a work bag that I alternate with my Steel (Ballistic) Ristretto for MBA11 depending on what I need to bring with me to work on the day. If I needed a water bottle with me without having to carry it separately, then it's the Co-Pilot. Otherwise, I prefer the Ristretto to safely carry my Air notebook.

This week, I received my Steel/steel Dyneema-only Co-Pilot and I am equally impressed with the quality of it. I intend to use this as my EDC bag to replace my medium Cafe Bag (Steel) to carry my personal items (wallets, iPhone 5, keys, pens, notebook, toiletry/medicine kit) as well as spare diapers, toddler water bottle, snacks for me and two kids. The compartments/organization of the Co-Pilot makes it such a practical day bag. I really love it for its versatility.

Climb14er
09-09-2013, 09:41 AM
It's amazing how EDC/daily briefcases have gotten lighter and more compact over the years.

I began many years ago with a Schlesinger natural belting expanding leather briefcase which I still love and have. Truly exceptional workmanship and quality.

Then I transitioned to a Tumi expanding ballistic nylon briefcase which I still have and use quite often. Great design.

Since the Co-Pilot was introduced, I carry this lightweight and fantastic design most of the time.

Just like in climbing and backpacking, light and well designed rule.

Same for EDC in a high quality business and personal bag.

Co-Pilot rocks!

greyhundr
09-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Does anyone have the inside line on what's going on with the co-pilot? I'm thinking that it'd be a more suitable EDC bag for me compared to a Ristretto, but all the color combos that I would consider ordering it in aren't available right now. Is it going through a redesign or is the inventory just running low and will be refreshed when they have capacity?

Darcy
09-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Does anyone have the inside line on what's going on with the co-pilot? I'm thinking that it'd be a more suitable EDC bag for me compared to a Ristretto, but all the color combos that I would consider ordering it in aren't available right now. Is it going through a redesign or is the inventory just running low and will be refreshed when they have capacity?

Aren't available as in on backorder, or aren't in the drop-down menu? No redesign is in the works and we don't plan to add new colors anytime soon either. The backordered colors are expected to ship by early November but may ship as soon as mid-late October...

greyhundr
09-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Sorry, Darcy. I should have said backordered. When I said not "available right now" I meant that I couldn't have them in my hands by the end of the week. With 60% of the current color combinations on backorder it got me wondering if perhaps there were changes coming for the line or if it was just the normal ebb and flow of the production pipeline. Thanks!

Darcy
09-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Sorry, Darcy. I should have said backordered. When I said not "available right now" I meant that I couldn't have them in my hands by the end of the week. With 60% of the current color combinations on backorder it got me wondering if perhaps there were changes coming for the line or if it was just the normal ebb and flow of the production pipeline. Thanks!

Ahh, I see, makes total sense! It's mainly that the Co-Pilot is more popular than ever and simply sold out in those colors more quickly than we anticipated. If you can wait and want to place a backorder, I'd recommend doing so -- it's quite likely we'll sell out of the Co-Pilot again before the end of the year...