Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,936   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 177
Welcome to our newest member, thefrillyhell.

How to: carabiner key strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miking
    Forum Member
    • Nov 2012

How to: carabiner key strap

Inspired by Proctor's awesome post I began looking for a solution to be able to clip in some non-Tom Bihn accessories I often travel with. I ended up using a cheap keychain carabiner I had laying around the house by threading it through one of the loops of the keystrap.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	573.4 KB
ID:	309283
    Shown here threaded through the handle loop of my travel document/receipt wallet that is serving it's purpose until my next TB order.

Size:	510.3 KB
ID:	309284
    I have left the plastic snap hook on in case I change my mind/to make the strap multi-functional, but may take it off later.
  • Le_Pied
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2012

nice. it's a Tom Bihn quick draw for climbing your everyday challenges.
    > SIQUID WESTERN FLYER NON CAPIT, DOMI RELINQUENDUM EST.

Western Flyer (ballistic backpack), MCB (parapack/dyneema), Pilot (ballistic), Cache (6Z), Travel Tray, Packing Cube (WF large), Pouches (clear, dyneema, cork, padded, large, small, medium, mini, nano), Pocket Pouch, Absolute Strap (curved), Tri-Power Whistle, a bunch of Key Straps (8" and 16")

Comment

• ChrisG
      Forum Member
      • Jun 2011

I usually carry my keys on a simple 'biner like this. I went ahead and added a keystrap like in your example and found that I can still use the 'biner pretty much the same as normal with the extra strap hanging down about the same length as the keys.

Name:	biner1.JPG
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	288724

And then flipped around the other way it clips on an O-ring.

Name:	biner2.JPG
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	288725

Comment

• Darcy
        TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
        • May 2003

So cool -- we love seeing stuff like this!
        Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• Miking
          Forum Member
          • Nov 2012

I upgraded the carabiner with a NiteIze #3 S-biner and removed the plastic snap hook permanently, here are the results: Click image for larger version

Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	288835
          You can fit a whole lot of stuff on this biner! Keys, knives, tons of pouches! It also sits flat in the strap.

Comment

• dnarud13
            Forum Member
            • Mar 2013

I like it! I have one of these S-biners on the outside of my BB. I think I'll do this with it instead.
            [2004] Brain Bag (w/Lg. A45 Packing Cube, Snake Charmer, Q-kit & 2 Brain cells)
            - [2010] Aeronaut45 (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)
            - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/S.O.S. strap, Cache, Clear Org wallet, 3D mesh cube, whistle, Sm. COP's & Q-kit)
            - - - [2015] Tristar (traded for A30)
            - - - - [2016] ID, Aeronaut30 (w/Absolute & Lg. Aether cube), Side Effect
            ___________________________________________ "Be excellent to each other."

Comment

• ceb
              Forum Member
              • Jun 2011

Those S-biners are great. Many of us have those cheap, junky wrist straps in a drawer somewhere Click image for larger version

Name:	sakar-ds-dsi-hello-kitty-glitter-case-red-view-of-wrist-strap.jpg
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	288837The fiddly little snap at the end can be attached to one of the o rings in TB bags while the s-biner goes on the other end to function just like the strap miking describes.
              When in trouble, obfuscate.

Comment

• Fat Crip
                Forum Member
                • Oct 2010

Snap!

Mine's looking a bit tired, but it's seen plenty of service! As it's my favourite colour and it's my only wasabi one, I'm loathed to cut off the plastic clip, but maybe next order I'll get another one and cut this one off. It would certainly look better!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Miking
                  Forum Member
                  • Nov 2012

**UPDATE**
                  I found one of these neat little gadgets loosely based off of the Kong Frog connector in a souvenir shop so I added it to the end of my solar keystrap, it can be operated one handed and fits O-rings quite well. It's a shame they didn't include the automatic closing feature of the frog, pesky patents! Oh well, it's still handy!

To open:

Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	291650
                  Attached to 3D cube

Size:	546.6 KB
ID:	291651

To attach you remove the plastic clip from the keystrap then use pliers to unscrew the knurled bolt on the sides and thread bolt through loop in end of keystrap.

The connectors are available from Amazon

Another benefit of a bigger connector like this one or either of the carabiners is that you can "choke" it to itself. That is you can wrap it around an object and then clip the connector back to the keystrap to secure it. If anyone doesn't understand my obscure rigger terms and poor explanation let me know and I'll take a photo.

Comment

• jmoz
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2013

This looks nice, but the reviews on Amazon are appallingly terrible. I wonder if there's another source for decently-made versions of this?

Comment

• Miking
                      Forum Member
                      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                      This looks nice, but the reviews on Amazon are appallingly terrible. I wonder if there's another source for decently-made versions of this?
                      I hadn't actually noticed the reviews, mine looks identical and while not being the finest piece of modern engineering by far it seems solid enough. I think the bad reviews are 50% very bad quality control and 50% people not being realistic with their expectations for a $1.50 carabiner. I have been using mine for a few weeks without a problem.

I think something like this would be a prime candidate for being molded like the resin buckles. It is pretty basic especially if the webbing attachment was molded in instead of a separate bolt, after that it is only an axel pin, two wings and a spring. I know in the interview Tom did with "The Setup" he mentioned an interest in designing more of the plastic parts used for the bags and something like this would be an excellent addition. I bet the EDC/tactical crowd would eat it up!

Comment

Working...
                      X