PDA

View Full Version : United Airlines to begin strictly enforcing carry-on bag sizes

flitcraft
02-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Apparently as of March 1, United Airlines is planning to clamp down on oversized carry-on bags. There'll be sizers for carry-ons and for 'personal items' at every gate--you may have seen them over the last few months as they've been installing them.

The sizes are actually smaller than the standard regulations would allow and definitely smaller than would fit in the overheads or under the seats. But, the point is not that United is acting rationally or irrationally, or that it's great news or terrible news. My reason for posting is just to say--watch out! Be sure your favorite combo will still fit as a carry on. If it doesn't fit even in one dimension, they'll force you to check it and charge you for the privilege.

Here are the sizes:

Published carry-on limit: 9"x14"x22"
Actual sizer dimensions: 10"x15"x23"

Published personal item limit: 9"x10"x17"
Actual sizer dimensions: 9"x11"x18"

Looks like the Western Flyer will no longer pass as a personal item...(of course, it's fine as the main carry-on).

Lots of people are going to discover that their wheeled carry-on bags aren't going to be allowed on board anymore. I wonder if there will be a rush to buy Aeronauts, Tristars, and Western Flyers next month?

moriond
02-22-2014, 04:18 PM
I saw a tweet from David Pogue (used to cover Technology items for the NY Times, now at Yahoo) on Wednesday about American Airlines making everyone check rolling bags, but I couldn't find a policy statement about this. Here's the quote and attached picture:

American is making everyone check all rolling bags, no matter how small--even though the bins are totally empty! Grr

Souce: Twitter page (https://twitter.com/Pogue/status/436318145511301120/photo/1)

TavaPeak
02-22-2014, 05:58 PM
We fly United later in March. Perhaps the mess will be sorted by then, but I don't hold much hope.

Am taking a Synapse 19 for a personal item, rather than an S25. I could underpack the S25 to squash into the sizer, but I'd rather not stress about it. And my son grew much taller this year, so I can't sneak a bigger bag into his legroom space any more!

Frank II
02-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Before everyone freaks out...chill for a moment. I monitor many FF websites and the only one that has discussions about these United changes is Flyertalk. From what I gather, United is going to get tougher with carry-ons so it can increase revenue and hopefully decrease gate delays. A little secret is that they focus mostly on WHEELED bags. (I was told by one AA gate agent that they don't even bother looking at soft sided, non-wheeled bags unless they have an external frame or are obviously too big.)

As for David Pogue's flight, it was just his flight. AA has not started a policy where all rolling bags will have to be checked. Again, there was no chatter about this on any of the FF websites.

backpack
02-23-2014, 12:19 AM
Pogue is most probably flying business class, so he boards before coach.

The two passengers and their bags have most probably taken a one stop flight because it was the most direct flight within their time and budget constraints.
A flight with a stop is usually cheaper than a non stop one, and much less inconvenient than connecting ones.

ykang2375
02-23-2014, 07:12 AM
Apparently as of March 1, United Airlines is planning to clamp down on oversized carry-on bags. There'll be sizers for carry-ons and for 'personal items' at every gate--you may have seen them over the last few months as they've been installing them.

The sizes are actually smaller than the standard regulations would allow and definitely smaller than would fit in the overheads or under the seats. But, the point is not that United is acting rationally or irrationally, or that it's great news or terrible news. My reason for posting is just to say--watch out! Be sure your favorite combo will still fit as a carry on. If it doesn't fit even in one dimension, they'll force you to check it and charge you for the privilege.

Here are the sizes:

Looks like the Western Flyer will no longer pass as a personal item...(of course, it's fine as the main carry-on).

Lots of people are going to discover that their wheeled carry-on bags aren't going to be allowed on board anymore. I wonder if there will be a rush to buy Aeronauts, Tristars, and Western Flyers next month?

Thanks for the link flitcraft, definitely appreciate it. I think someone just posted a picture of a UA luggage cage with the Tri-Star and a Synapse fitting quite nicely with room to spare. I've taken Air China and Chinese Eastern Airlines and they both seem to have zero carry on rules, just an FYI. There just might be a rush on TB bags, more carry-on regulations = more business. :-) Of course, I never have to worry with my TB Tri-Star. The way it's built, I have a feeling it will be with me for a very long time.

bchaplin
02-23-2014, 09:02 AM
I am not sure what the Pogue link has to do with United policy. He was flying a different airline.

For those who fly United, I wouldn't worry. They might make you check your rollerbag if it does not fit into the sizer, but I'd be very surprised if they rejected anyone's personal item that was a reasonable size. If you are taking a roller, keep your essentials (1-2 changes of clothes and toiletries), in a packing cube or backpack inside of the suitcase. If they have you gate-check it, pull out the cube and keep that with you. I learned this the hard way when I wasn't prepared to have a teeny-tiny roller bag taken away from me some years ago before a long international flight.

Personally I try to stay away from airlines that charge people to check a bag. It just encourages people to take their huge suitcases on the plane, and you end up with no space in the overhead bins, even if your bag is within the limits. On the other hand sometimes you have no choice or want to go for the cheapest airfare. I have United miles which I'll have to use up sometime this year, tearing me away from my beloved JetBlue.

flitcraft
02-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Good points, all. I don't want to unnecessarily worry anyone. It's just that for the first time, there are personal item sizers at the United gates, not just main carry-on sizers, so it sounds like they might be serious about policing both items now. My travel agent said she got an email telling her to warn clients that both carry-on items need to be compliant with the rules or they will have to be checked. From her perspective, this is a real problem, since business travelers often have nice leather briefcases or computer rolling bags for their over-sized computers, neither of which will qualify as personal items if they do enforce.

All of the Tom Bihn bags will work as main carry-ons (maybe unless you go crazy packing the Aeronaut so that it can't squish into the sizer!) But some of the bags that you might think could go as personal items aren't within the announced size. For example, the length of the Founder's Briefcase is given on the website here at 17.7 inches, which is over limit. Being soft-sided it ought to squish in, but if it's packed with hard stuff, it might not. The Empire Builder is too big on two of its dimensions, the Cadet, ID, Synapse 19, and Zephyr are all over-sized in one, the Pilot a tiny smidge over-sized in one dimension, and well, you get the idea.

It's possible--maybe even likely--that this is a false alarm and that it will be business as usual on over-sized personal items. But sending out warning emails to travel agents is worrisome that they might really mean it.

So, consider this just a public service announcement and take it with whatever grain of salt you will. For me, I would be sure not to overstuff any personal items that are at or over the limit. If I had a smidge of extra room in my main carry-on (and I usually do) I'd take full advantage of that before getting to the gate, then transfer bits back into my personal item once on board the aircraft.

tpnl
02-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Here are the sizes:

Here in Canada, It is going to make things even more complicated with different published standards. Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?

For Air Canada, the published sizes are:

Air Canada published carry-on limit: 9 in x 15.5 in x 21.5 in - The issue being that one dimension (15.5 in) is 1.5 in wider compared to United
Air Canada published personal item limit: 6 in x 13 in x 17 in - The issue being that one dimension (13 in) is 2.0 in wider compared to United

While I am ok with the United carry-on limit as TB Bags follow that and do not use the Domestic Carry-on standard sizes (15.5 in wide) that Air Canada has, I can see the 11" dimension for Personal Carry-on for United being tight for most briefcases. The larger common laptops (e.g 15.6") quite often need bags larger than that to provide adequate protection. However, I usually use a Brain Cell as my Personal Carry on and it is the right size.

All this is one more hassle that makes air travel more and more complicated.

Cheers!

Frank II
02-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?

Cheers!

You use whichever standards the gate agent wants to use. (Technically, it's supposed to be the airline you booked but it's really up to the gate agent.)

I wouldn't worry if your personal item is slightly bigger than allowed especially if it doesn't have wheels.

The problem is that many people try to bring on two bags both of which are almost equal in size. They claim one as their "personal" item. When this happens, it adds time to the boarding process and takes up extra space in the overheads when the "personal" item won't fit under the seat in front of them. (I've gone on planes where my seatmate has put her stuff under the seat in front of me because they couldn't fit it anywhere else. Sorry, that's mine and I'm not sharing.) That's why United is making a big deal about knowing "where" the items are supposed to be stored.

The United 'personal item" dimensions are 17 x 10 x 9. My current "personal item" is 15 x 11 x 5 and is soft sided. Do you really think I'm worried or they're going to say to me it's too big? Of course not. It easily fits under the seat in front of me. What they are looking at are the really large soft sided bags and the wheeled computer bags.

So yes, if you've been traveling with an Aeronaut or Tristar and either a Western Flyer or Brain Bag as your personal item, you'll probably have to get a smaller personal item. But let's be serious, you were really taking on two carry-on bags, weren't you?

BTW, American Airlines has had a published 35" limit on the personal item for years, And guess what the dimensions of United's personal item limit add up to?

As for Pogue's flight, there are many reasons why they could have checked all rolling bags. First, we don't know when he says "checked" does he mean luggage carousel checked or gate checked? Was he one of the first to board and took the photo? Was the flight full? delayed? Did the gate agents see a sea of rolling bags and figured it would be faster just to check the rollers so they wouldn't have to delay the flight gate checking all that wouldn't fit? Would doing so help make up for lost time? Remember, a delay on one flight probably means a delay on all that days flights for that aircraft. Airlines hate delays and will do what they can to minimize them. Did you notice he didn't say they also checked non-wheeled bags? They were probably let on.

backpack
02-23-2014, 01:45 PM
I am not sure what the Pogue link has to do with United policy. He was flying a different airline.

For those who fly United, I wouldn't worry. They might make you check your rollerbag if it does not fit into the sizer, but I'd be very surprised if they rejected anyone's personal item that was a reasonable size. If you are taking a roller, keep your essentials (1-2 changes of clothes and toiletries), in a packing cube or backpack inside of the suitcase. If they have you gate-check it, pull out the cube and keep that with you. I learned this the hard way when I wasn't prepared to have a teeny-tiny roller bag taken away from me some years ago before a long international flight.

Personally I try to stay away from airlines that charge people to check a bag. It just encourages people to take their huge suitcases on the plane, and you end up with no space in the overhead bins, even if your bag is within the limits. On the other hand sometimes you have no choice or want to go for the cheapest airfare. I have United miles which I'll have to use up sometime this year, tearing me away from my beloved JetBlue.

bchaplin check with your accountant, if it would be cheaper for you to donate miles to a charity like Make a Wish or Angel Wings, which fly patients either to their Wish or to appointments.

Southwest and JetBlue rock!

flitcraft
02-23-2014, 01:52 PM
Here in Canada, It is going to make things even more complicated with different published standards. Air Canada and United often use each other's flights - ie, an Air Canada flight is actually using a United Plane coming back from the U.S. Which standard do you follow?

Actually, this is already a problem with inconsistent standards. For example, I often start my journey on a US carrier with lax carry-on rules, then connect to a European or Pacific carrier with much smaller carry-on allowances. Since I know this in advance, I pack for the most restrictive airline in my itinerary. But if you don't know...it's a real inconvenience for everybody.

I wish all airlines would standardize these policies. It would make boarding less of a mystery tour!

monkeylady
02-23-2014, 02:07 PM
Before everyone freaks out...chill for a moment. I monitor many FF websites and the only one that has discussions about these United changes is Flyertalk. From what I gather, United is going to get tougher with carry-ons so it can increase revenue and hopefully decrease gate delays. A little secret is that they focus mostly on WHEELED bags. (I was told by one AA gate agent that they don't even bother looking at soft sided, non-wheeled bags unless they have an external frame or are obviously too big.)
websites.

Well, United is getting ready to do something different in their luggage practices. I recently travelled through Houston and there are brand-spanking new sizers for carry-on and personal luggage at each gate. They have sides on them, so if you have non-wheeled bags that are not overly filled, you can easily squish them in. However, the sides will not be so forgiving with wheeled bags rigid framing. However, the sizers look generously sized to me. ;) I travel with a 20" rollie because I have to/choose to. There are options....no need to freak.

Trailhiker
02-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Perhaps a visual is in order,,,,
:-/

twogunmojo
02-24-2014, 12:56 AM
all the more reason to fly southwest...

bchaplin
02-24-2014, 04:32 AM
I'd be interested to see if the Synapse 25 or Smart Alec fits into the personal sizer, in real life, in underpacked or overpacked states. I believe the Co-Pilot, Pilot and Synapse 19 wouldn't be a problem.

flitcraft
02-24-2014, 08:16 AM
My guess is that it will depend on exactly what is packed inside. Largish, hard stuff won't squish, obviously, but an overstuffed bag that is densely packed even with softer stuff could also be a problem.

As I got more and more serious (maybe fanatical...I admit it) about efficient packing, I found that my bags were getting heavier and denser simply because I'd worked out how to pack with maximum use of space. Bringing onboard a larger personal item might not be the best time to show off that skill!

scribe
02-25-2014, 02:25 AM
I feel your pain, flitcraft - it was a stressful trip with EasyJet (budget UK airline) earlier this month that drove me to TB in the first place!

EasyJet keep their prices down by charging for everything that bigger airlines include as standard (checked-in baggage, in-flight food...) and they don't even allow a "personal item" in addition to your tiny carry-on bag allowance! My husband booked the flights so I wasn't aware of how little you were allowed to carry. On the flight out to Spain I had to squeeze my small shoulder bag into my carry-on, though on the way home the flight was less busy so I got away with the second bag. Still, it was stressful all round, e.g. not being able to buy many souvenirs because it would cost more than their value to check my bag in :(

I'm flying again with them in April, to Scotland, this time booked by me and fully prepared! I'll be taking my new Tri-Star, carefully underpacked so as to still fit into their 50cm x 40cm x 20cm guaranteed carry-on size, with a SE inside that I can pull out before I stow the TS for flight.

Fat Crip
02-25-2014, 03:59 AM
One advantage of EasyJet over most European budget carriers is that they have no weight limit so skilful packing can easily see you carry the full 15Kg that their checked bags allow, but without paying 40 quid or so!

The good news in Europe is that RyanAir (the biggest budget carrier - an an excellent one in my book) now allow a small personal item. This is great news as whilst I love carrying just my Aeronaut, when I get on the plane, I hate fighting to retrieve my Kindle/iPod/wallet/headphones etc., so I'm very glad to be able to carry my iPad Ristretto as well :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scribe
02-25-2014, 04:42 AM
One advantage of EasyJet over most European budget carriers is that they have no weight limit so skilful packing can easily see you carry the full 15Kg that their checked bags allow, but without paying 40 quid or so!

Alas I'm only 5'2" and not exactly athletic, so I don't think I could carry a 15kg Tri-Star very far! I'd also struggle to get it into an overhead locker, which is another of their stipulations.

Generally I avoid budget airlines like the plague, and in any case take the train for most UK trips, but (relative) convenience won out in this case :)

Darcy
02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
See: United Airlines’ Carry-on Baggage Sizer: Which TOM BIHN Bags Fit? (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/united-airlines-carry-baggage-sizer-tom-bihn-bags-fit)

giantsteve
02-25-2014, 05:45 PM
Fly the friendly skies! (if your bag fits)

snowbot
02-26-2014, 04:47 AM
I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.

scribe
02-26-2014, 06:03 AM
EasyJet is the same - I had to go to a member of cabin crew to get my carryon in the overhead bin, because it was stuffed full of other people's winter coats. Meanwhile my husband had to check his little rollaboard suitcase in, because he was also carrying a satchel - that easily fitted under the seat.

moriond
02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
I find it funny that United has decided to be draconian about personal item size and shape when, currently, they do nothing useful to prevent passengers from putting both carry-on and personal item in the overhead bin.

EasyJet is the same - I had to go to a member of cabin crew to get my carryon in the overhead bin, because it was stuffed full of other people's winter coats. Meanwhile my husband had to check his little rollaboard suitcase in, because he was also carrying a satchel - that easily fitted under the seat.
How many airlines do enforce putting carry-on items only in the overhead, and personal items below the seat in front? I usually fly with the Tri-Star as my carry-on bag and the Synapse 19 as my personal item. (Thanks to Darcy for posting the link to the blog post (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/united-airlines-carry-baggage-sizer-tom-bihn-bags-fit) about bag combinations that fit the United sizers, since one of the first things I did when this thread started was to check the specs Of those bags.). A few years ago, I was flying on American out of DCA (Reagan National Airport in Washington, DC), which is one of the locations where people are really bad about the size and amount of carryon baggage. My Tri-Star went into the overhead standing upright and with the long dimension along the depth of the overhead compartment -- exactly the minimum profile that the airlines look for in filling the overhead storage with optimum efficiency. My Synapse went under the seat ahead of me. While I was seated and waiting for boarding to complete, I saw people trying to rearrange the overhead storage in order to squeeze in their carryon items. My Tri-Star got moved to other overhead locations 4 times in this process. Now, it wasn't that there was any way the Tri-Star was going to occupy any less space, so why was this being shifted so much? For the simple reason that anyone who was trying to rearrange the upper storage space (mostly to get "more" space for their items by moving other bags) looked at this bag and said "right, this bag can go anywhere and is easy to shift". It struck me then that was an unexpected disadvantage of the easy storability of the Tri-Star in overhead -- everyone else recognized this, too, and was shifting this bag around like crazy as part of the mad tiling exercise of trying to find more overhead storage for their bags.

scribe
02-26-2014, 09:33 AM
Interesting - I shall make sure to keep an eye on my Tri-Star during boarding, as I'll be travelling alone on my next couple of flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bchaplin
02-26-2014, 11:14 AM
While I was seated and waiting for boarding to complete, I saw people trying to rearrange the overhead storage in order to squeeze in their carryon items. My Tri-Star got moved to other overhead locations 4 times in this process. .

You are a nicer person than I am! If someone touches my bag I start yelling.

snowbot
02-26-2014, 12:20 PM
A few years ago, I was flying on American out of DCA (Regan National Airport in Washington, DC), which is one of the locations where people are really bad about the size and amount of carryon baggage.
YES! I've flown in and out of DCA three times in the past two months (and I'm flying into IAD in a couple of weeks). I've never seen so many passengers who feel entitled to put three carry-ons and a coat in the overhead bin.

flitcraft
03-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Flew out of SeaTac yesterday. Bags being checked at my gate, but the next gate over, I didn't hear any announcements at all other than the usual "if you're in boarding group 4 or 5, you should probably check your rollaboard now, because there won't be room for all the bags."

I wonder why they chose to clamp down on bags now. If they waited a month or so, there wouldn't be as many coats going up top, so that it would be easier to show passengers how much more room there is in the overheads without the oversized rollies.

Will report back on Monday about my return flight...

TavaPeak
03-02-2014, 11:07 AM
flitcraft - were they checking all rollers, or just the ones that didn't fit the sizers?

flitcraft
03-02-2014, 02:24 PM
At my gate, the gate agent was having most people try their bags into the sizers, not just rollers. I had to put my obviously within-limits Western Flyer in the sizer, but she didn't make me put the Imago in the personal item sizer. I was in Group 2, so I can't speak to whether they continued to measure everything in the sizer once the larger groups boarded.

flitcraft
03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
At the gate in Denver. Announcements made about the carry-on rules, but Group one has boarded without any bags being put into the sizers. My group is next...

It looks like the enforcement of the policy may be spotty, which is the worst of all possibilities, because people will rely on having slightly too big bags and then periodically get upset when the rules get applied.

nukediver
03-03-2014, 05:05 AM
As I look ahead to my flight on United next week, I'm already getting overhead bin anxiety. While I do fly fairly frequently, it's not enough to get me significant frequent flier status. I do have the United Presidential Plus credit card that gets me free checked bags, Premier Access, early boarding, etc, when I use the card to buy a ticket. However, for this trip, since I'm traveling for work a travel agency booked and paid for the flight, so I will have none of those perks. That being said, I'm looking at boarding in Group 4/5, and my seat is in the rear of the plane. This adds up to NO overhead space, so as much as I'd like to just take my Aeronaut and either MCB or Co-Pilot, I think I may just pack the roller and check it (I'll get the fee reimbursed, so that's not a big deal). Then I can use my Smart Alec or Synapse 25 as my carry-on and just stuff it under the seat.

I'll be flying out of Newark, and I'll update this thread with my gate agent observations regarding bag size enforcement.

jmoz
03-03-2014, 05:53 AM
I wonder if this change will help the overhead bin situation? I'm always group 1 on Delta (yay for flying enough to be elite? Q: What's better than elite status? A: Not having to fly so much that you get elite status!), but it's a moot point since I now use my Tri-Star almost every time.

I do worry a bit about my next major trip; I can't find clear information about Pakistan International Airlines baggage rules. From what I can find, one can check a bag for free, and a Tri-Star will work as a carryon (up to 7 kg. Enforced? Who knows!) I can't find any information about whether personal items are allowed, and I think I'm unlikely to be able to fit my Pilot in my Tri-Star for this trip. I guess the Tri-Star will stand up to being checked if necessary?

snowbot
03-09-2014, 01:40 PM
My dinky regional airport did not require me to make sure my bags fit in the sizer, but I checked anyway. I'll find out in an hour or so if United at Houston is checking.

Tristar and Imago easily fit in the United sizer. 5749

Melissa
03-09-2014, 03:15 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/m/video?id=22780226&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

There's a 15 second commercial, but it then goes to ABC's news announcement.

And SNL's take ....

http://screen.yahoo.com/airport-090000680.html

moriond
03-09-2014, 03:57 PM
http://abcnews.go.com/m/video?id=22780226&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

There's a 15 second commercial, but it then goes to ABC's news announcement.

And SNL's take ....

http://screen.yahoo.com/airport-090000680.html
@Melissa the SNL video link works for me, but the first link consistently takes me to an ABC news article about the missing Malaysian airliner. Could this be the video link you intended to give (for a report on the start of United's stricter carryon regulations at airports)?:

United Airlines to Crack Down on Carry-On Bags | Watch the video - Yahoo Good Morning America (http://gma.yahoo.com/video/united-airlines-crack-down-carry-113921993.html)

It includes the reference to the Saturday Night Live sketch about "It'll fit…". (Note: be prepared for a Viagra ad before the start of the video clip).

moriond

Melissa
03-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Thanks, @moriond! When I click the links work, but I'm not a tekkie by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm sure something is wrong with my pasted link. . . .

bchaplin
03-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm looking at boarding in Group 4/5, and my seat is in the rear of the plane. This adds up to NO overhead space, so as much as I'd like to just take my Aeronaut and either MCB or Co-Pilot, I think I may just pack the roller and check it (I'll get the fee reimbursed, so that's not a big deal). Then I can use my Smart Alec or Synapse 25 as my carry-on and just stuff it under the seat.

I'd be interested in hearing what your experience is. I don't fly United that much, but I have boarded Delta at the back of the plane and had my bag taken away from me (a very small roller) because there was no bin space left. I actually wish the airlines would be more rigorous about enforcement, and guarantee the space to everyone who has a bag fitting the sizer.

Good luck! If you're traveling for work and they'll pay for a checked bag, that might be the safest bet, and the easiest on you. I would just pack one change of clothes in your carry-on.

snowbot
03-10-2014, 01:19 PM
Update: United did not ask travelers to use the bag sizes on my Houston to Washington, D.C. flight.

The gate agent did check one passenger's third carry-on. The overhead bins filled early; later passengers boarded with no large bags. I ended up taking my Tristar out of the overhead bin and putting in under the seat next to the seat in front of me. (I was in the exit row and there was a space where the window seat would have been.) That made space for someone else to store their bag.

tpnl
03-10-2014, 02:50 PM
You are a kind, considerate traveller, Snowbot!

Cheers!

nukediver
03-11-2014, 04:38 AM
So, when I flew out of EWR this past Sunday, the gate agents were not checking carry on sizes at all, even though there was extensive signage and the new sizers right at the gate. But it also seemed like most people had gotten the message - I was pleasantly surprised to see that most people had modestly sized bags. But then again, it also looked like most of us were traveling for business and "got it".

blarson94
03-11-2014, 06:31 PM
United did not ask us to check bag size at CVG or ORD yesterday either. They just patrolled the gate area and handed green tags to rollaboards at CVG and told folks in ORD in groups 3-5 to check them.

GoStanford
03-14-2014, 02:03 PM
OK, United sent a message out reinforcing the sizes for carry-ons:
personal item such as laptop case/small item - no larger than 9x10x17
carry-on that fits in overhead bin - no larger than 9x14x22 including handles and wheels

Is there a comprehensive list of which TB items fit into these categories?

GoStanford
03-14-2014, 02:06 PM
See: United Airlines’ Carry-on Baggage Sizer: Which TOM BIHN Bags Fit? (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/united-airlines-carry-baggage-sizer-tom-bihn-bags-fit)

Aha - sorry I didn't browse this thoroughly before posting earlier. The panic set in!

nukediver
03-15-2014, 08:36 AM

Just flew yesterday on UA: MSY-ORD, then ORD-EWR. On both flights, the FAs announced multiple times that you must put the smaller of your two items under the seat in front of you so there would be space for others in the bins above. I also saw some enforcement of the size policy at the gate. Granted, both flights were overbooked, and some of the bags they were flagging were HUGE, so space was at a premium. I also noticed more than one person board with those tubes that were discussed elsewhere in this thread. They had no problems with those.

On a different note, the two flights I was on were on brand spankin' new 737-900s that still had that new plane smell. They seemed airier, probably because the placement of the overhead bins was angled, making them a bit higher and harder to access for shorter folks. Also, they had no in-flight anything - no audio or video, but I overheard an FA saying they were eventually going to be fitted out.

backpack
03-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Just flew yesterday on UA: MSY-ORD, then ORD-EWR. On both flights, the FAs announced multiple times that you must put the smaller of your two items under the seat in front of you so there would be space for others in the bins above. I also saw some enforcement of the size policy at the gate. Granted, both flights were overbooked, and some of the bags they were flagging were HUGE, so space was at a premium. I also noticed more than one person board with those tubes that were discussed elsewhere in this thread. They had no problems with those.

On a different note, the two flights I was on were on brand spankin' new 737-900s that still had that new plane smell. They seemed airier, probably because the placement of the overhead bins was angled, making them a bit higher and harder to access for shorter folks. Also, they had no in-flight anything - no audio or video, but I overheard an FA saying they were eventually going to be fitted out.

I wish all airlines will just forget about the in-flight audio and video, those stuff have under seat boxes which steal valuable space.
Instead, they should let us use our portable devices with headphones for entertainment and have some to lend for passengers who don't have them, use a refundable lending fee to make sure no one walks with the device.

The refundable lending fee could be applied to purchase via the Sky Mall onboard vending. Busy passengers, Ability to make extra revenue=winning situation.

daisy
03-15-2014, 03:08 PM

The only times i fly are long haul and then only every few years - I had no idea this was even a thing. Have always just assumed the overhead was for putting stuff in.

On my last trip to europe i had my ristretto wrenched from my grasp by a FA who insisted it had to be in the overhead for takeoff. I will concede that there was nowhere to put it under a seat as there wasnt one in front of me.

There was also nowhere for coats/jackets other than the overheads ... No way would i be putting my nice jacket on the floor....

bb93fo57
03-15-2014, 04:02 PM
The last time I flew United was from the U.S. to Europe and back. Abuse of the overhead space was so egregious in both directions that I kind of welcome some light enforcement/passenger re-education.

Folks were boarding the transatlantic legs with as many as five large bags -- usually an oversized roller plus two to four bulging personal items (plus coats) -- with impunity.

Since gate agents turned a blind eye, everyone in the last two zones to board (including those of us with only one modestly-sized bag) had to gatecheck.

That frantic, messy scramble to pull all electronics / meds / breakables / essential documents out of a bag from which you thought you'd never be separated was not a good feeling... but it was a good lesson (and how I wound up at TB).

Am hoping to make all future trips with only a Western Flyer or an under-packed Tri-Star that can slide under the seat, if necessary.

bchaplin
03-15-2014, 06:07 PM
100% agree, bb93fo57. Yes, enforce the rules, so that everyone can carry on a reasonably-sized bag! It shouldn't matter when/where you board. Whenever I can, I take Lufthansa or Swiss for transatlantic flights, and JetBlue domestically. On those airlines, I've never had to gate-check an item, or had too much trouble fitting them into the overhead. I don't know why it is such an issue with United, whether it is passenger behavior, or because they charge for checked bags.

nukediver
03-16-2014, 04:26 AM
I wish all airlines will just forget about the in-flight audio and video, those stuff have under seat boxes which steal valuable space.
Instead, they should let us use our portable devices with headphones for entertainment and have some to lend for passengers who don't have them, use a refundable lending fee to make sure no one walks with the device.

The refundable lending fee could be applied to purchase via the Sky Mall onboard vending. Busy passengers, Ability to make extra revenue=winning situation.

Actually, this is what United plans on doing: United Airlines to launch free inflight video streaming service for iOS devices, laptops (http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/13/united-airlines-to-launch-free-inflight-video-streaming-service-for-ios-devices)

Badger
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
According to a family member who flew United from ORD-LGA last week: In Chicago, passengers whose carry-on luggage was obviously too large for the sizers were required to check those items before they were allowed through security. This was at 4:30 am for an early-morning flight. In New York, no one was enforcing the carry-on policies (or seemed to care that she was carrying a full water bottle through security!).

Inconsistency is part of the joy of traveling, right?

backpack
03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
100% agree, bb93fo57. Yes, enforce the rules, so that everyone can carry on a reasonably-sized bag! It shouldn't matter when/where you board. Whenever I can, I take Lufthansa or Swiss for transatlantic flights, and JetBlue domestically. On those airlines, I've never had to gate-check an item, or had too much trouble fitting them into the overhead. I don't know why it is such an issue with United, whether it is passenger behavior, or because they charge for checked bags.

Most legacy carriers charge for checked bags, they attract travellers by offering bottom price, non refundable seats, to discounters, which are then, overbooked.
The airlines, then use these sure revenue seats to pay for the fuel they bought in advance of the spike of commodity price right before major holidays.

Between pick travel times, they build elaborate co-share schemes to move passengers around, add bag fees, lower frequent flyer point values. They also offer a limited number of seat with minimal added room for a higher fee, which they are sure to sell out, when early travellers start to share their overbooking horror stories, at the beginning of the season.

Most infrequent travellers, do not know how to pack light, they have been sold the rollaboard song on all the shopping channels which have been reinforced by lifestyle articles and programs all over magazines, TV, even the internet.

Even for somebody who travels more than the average person, changes in regulations, security, the need for paperwork (confirmations of all rentals dwellings and mode of transportation), travel insurance and pet/house sitting arrangements make trips somewhat complicated, overwhelming.

Even more so when dress code is anything else than casual to relax in remote wilderness areas, when business acquaintances or family members meetings and their associated judgemental attitudes are part of the trip.

As a plus size woman, who only looks good in a sort of pant suit uniform, I find it even more daunting.

There are also people who travel for destination weddings where tux and long dresses, most probably, take up one suitcase for each person, then they need semi formal clothes for the rehearsal dinner and the newly wed need honeymoon clothes (presumably to look good in pictures).

I find it madness but some people do it to imitate celebrities and shorten the guest list.

All that is part of the humongous luggage overhead glut.