Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,301   Posts: 197,934   Members: 7,255   Active Members: 181
Welcome to our newest member, Zmanlane1.

Macbook, iPad, and iPhone chargers- what fits them best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lagolden
    Forum Member
    • Dec 2011

Macbook, iPad, and iPhone chargers- what fits them best?

Hi all,

Yes, I drank the Apple Kool-Aid over the past few years and now have a trio of white cords that need to tamed when I travel with technology. Which TB product would best hold them? I think the Snake Charmer is probably overkill but I'm not sure if there's a better option.

Thanks for any suggestions!
  • GriffCouch
    Forum Member
    • May 2013

I use a Travel Stuff Sack of the appropriate size for whichever cords I am carrying. The tops of the sacks can be folded down for easier access to the contents.

Comment

• PaulT00
      Forum Member
      • Jul 2012

My old macbook charger (with a shortened mains lead about 6 inches long) lives in a 3D clear cube with various other bits (iPhone USB cable, 3G dongle etc) - see http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-vid...html#post59725 for a photo of my office EDC. I don't know how big the chargers for iPads are, but my iPhone charger (for a 4S) is basically a mains plug with a USB socket in one side of it, which would fit in here no problem as well. UK mains plugs are pretty chunky compared to some other countries, though.
      A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

• giantsteve
        Forum Member
        • Sep 2013

Everything for my Macbook fits perfectly in a small mesh ballistic organizer pouch. In the pouch I carry the power supply (without the long AC cord that takes up too much space and have not missed it on the road), a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter cable and a backup iPhone charger. Everything else fits into a small size 1 stuff sack. In the sack I carry iPhone charger, 12" AC splitter cable which is incredibly useful, micro USB cable to charge Kindle, and ear buds. Having the two pouches gives me flexibility to arrange for maximum space utilization and I can leave the pouch behind if I am traveling without my Macbook.

Comment

• monkeylady
          Forum Member
          • Jun 2013

In my 3D clear organizer pouch, I pack cables (wrangled with stapeze or rubber bands), plugs, battery backup (Jackery), backup battery for camera, and a folding power strip. Cables are for I pad mini and phone, and Kindle. Not a tight fit, but full and requires a little bit of thought when packing the backup battery.
          The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Comment

• Tizi
            Forum Member
            • Jan 2013

I use a 3D mesh organizer cube for all of my cables. Fits perfectly in the front bottom compartment of my Synapse 19.
            Black/Steel TS, Black/Steel A45, Black Dyneema/Wasabi A30, Black/Black/Steel Brain Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Black/Steel Pilot, Black/Steel Synapse 19, Black Dyneema/Wasabi Synapse 19, Black/Steel Cadet 11, Black/Steel Imago, Black Dyneema DLBC and DLBP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi MCB, Navy/Cayenne and Black/Solar SCB, Black/Wasabi and Navy/Iberian SE and many pouches in various sizes.

Comment

• Badger
              Volunteer ********* Alumni
              • Apr 2011

I bring everything, including the honking long cord, in a Size 2 stuff sack. My Jackery bar and retractable cable go separately in a small OP. If I'm traveling sans MBP, I can fit my phone charger and other cables in a Size 1 stuff sack. The Snake Charmer is pretty great, but more containment than I actually needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• lagolden
                Forum Member
                • Dec 2011

Thanks for the great suggestions! Food for thought.

On a totally unrelated note, I found the perfect use for my surprise holiday gift. It holds my way-too-expensive lip balm perfectly. Yesterday I couldn't find my lip balm and was more concerned about my parapack pouch than the lip balm- lol. Shows my priorities are in order- Tom Bihn gifts first, everything else second. Fortunately, I found the pouch under my couch when I got home last night- crisis averted! No idea how it ended up there but I couldn't have been happier to see it.

Comment

• scribe
                  Forum Member
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
                  I don't know how big the chargers for iPads are, but my iPhone charger (for a 4S) is basically a mains plug with a USB socket in one side of it, which would fit in here no problem as well. UK mains plugs are pretty chunky compared to some other countries, though.
                  The iPad charger is a cuboid, like a miniature version of the MacBook one. It's great for overseas travel, as you can just slot the appropriate connector into the corner section (the US one with fold-down prongs is especially cool), but for UK travel I carry the all-in-one plug version like you describe, as it's less bulky than a charger plus a big UK plug. AFAIK, both types of charger are OK for both iPhone and iPad.

I use a small organiser pouch for the iPhone/iPad charger, its lightning cable and a separate mini USB cable that fits my Kobo and my iPad's keyboard.
                  Collections:
                  Work EDC: SE + S19
                  Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
                  Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
                  General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
                  Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
                  Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Comment

• backpack
                    Forum Member
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by scribe View Post
                    The iPad charger is a cuboid, like a miniature version of the MacBook one. It's great for overseas travel, as you can just slot the appropriate connector into the corner section (the US one with fold-down prongs is especially cool), but for UK travel I carry the all-in-one plug version like you describe, as it's less bulky than a charger plus a big UK plug. AFAIK, both types of charger are OK for both iPhone and iPad.

I use a small organiser pouch for the iPhone/iPad charger, its lightning cable and a separate mini USB cable that fits my Kobo and my iPad's keyboard.

Scribe, how do you like your Kobo?

Is there any problem with the software, how bulky is it? Have you used the Kobo app on the iPad?

Comment

• scribe
                      Forum Member
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                      Scribe, how do you like your Kobo?
                      I love it - best ereader I've had so far (I'm on my fourth in about 5-6 years). I have the Glo, because I like to read in the bus queue and it gets dark very early here in winter!

Originally posted by backpack View Post
                      Is there any problem with the software, how bulky is it? Have you used the Kobo app on the iPad?
                      I haven't had any issues with the software - it's basic but fairly reliable.

The Kobo Glo is pretty much the same size as a standard Kindle - I have mine in a case designed for Kindle.

Yes, I've used the Kobo app on both my iPhone and iPad - it's handy not to have to carry two devices everywhere with me (I also have the Kindle app, for a few titles that are only available from Amazon). The app has fewer features than the native software (e.g. you can't search within the book, owing to OS constraints) but it does do some useful stuff like syncing with your Kobo account, so you can switch devices and always be on the right page.
                      Collections:
                      Work EDC: SE + S19
                      Leisure: SCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
                      Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, with SE/SCB
                      General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
                      Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
                      Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Comment

• ChrisG
                        Forum Member
                        • Jun 2011

For awhile, I wanted one case for all my cords and adapters, but decided to be somewhat more modular. So, I use a 3D Fabric Organizer for my Macbook power supply, which fits both the main supply and the 3-prong cord. I also have the padded, specially-sized TB pouch for my Magic Mouse (which I only take off my desk when I know I'll be working away from my office).

For my iPad charger, I just use a mini Organizer Pouch for both the stock Apple charger/cable and an aftermarket 12V plug. If I need a longer cord, I can use the 3-prong from the Macbook. I don't carry a separate charger for my iPhone - the 12V plug has both amperages and the cords the same. I have another mini OP with all my various Lightning and iPad adapters. Since I do a lot of presentations and such on the road, I have a Lightning-VGA and a Lightning-ethernet adapter, as well as the older iPhone/iPad 30-pin adapters for VGA, HDMI, and SD cards and Apple's HDMI cord (which packs up nice and small).

Most of the time, I carry these to/from work in my Empire Builder. I have a procedures binder in between a couple of the file dividers, and the 3D slides down vertically next to that with the other pouches on top. When I'm flying or traveling where a backpack works better, the 3D fits nicely in the inside pocket of my Smart Alec and the other pouches fit in the zippered pockets on the inside of the main flap.

As an aside, for the Macbook itself, I have a Brain Cell in my EB, but I only use a Cache in my SA to cut down on bulk and weight. I usually keep my iPad in the front pouch of my EB by itself, but put it in its own Cache in the SA.

Comment

• backpack
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by scribe View Post
                          I love it - best ereader I've had so far (I'm on my fourth in about 5-6 years). I have the Glo, because I like to read in the bus queue and it gets dark very early here in winter!

I haven't had any issues with the software - it's basic but fairly reliable.

The Kobo Glo is pretty much the same size as a standard Kindle - I have mine in a case designed for Kindle.

Yes, I've used the Kobo app on both my iPhone and iPad - it's handy not to have to carry two devices everywhere with me (I also have the Kindle app, for a few titles that are only available from Amazon). The app has fewer features than the native software (e.g. you can't search within the book, owing to OS constraints) but it does do some useful stuff like syncing with your Kobo account, so you can switch devices and always be on the right page.
                          Thank you so much for sharing that info, I love books but due to space constraint, I believe I need to reach the age of e-readers.

Since you had many Kobo version which one would you consider the most suitable for taking reading notes and which has the best font size/clarity?

So exited!

Comment

• Antman157
                            Forum Member
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Tizi View Post
                            I use a 3D mesh organizer cube for all of my cables. Fits perfectly in the front bottom compartment of my Synapse 19.
                            This! +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• snowbot
                              Forum Member
                              • Jun 2011

I just ordered a Kobo yesterday. I do a lot of reading on my iPad, but I recently got a small laptop for travel and it seems superfluous to carry the iPad, too. I tried just reading on my phone, but the screen is a little small for marathon reading sessions.

Comment

Working...
                              X