PDA

View Full Version : Just took my new Smart Alec shopping!

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 02:27 PM
Since it's absolutely gorgeous out today, I decided to take my shiny new SA shopping. This entailed hiking about a mile one way through the wilderness (lots of construction and a lack of sidewalks) to the nearest grocery store. I got compliments on my SA at both stores, and I was surprised at how much it could swallow. I couldn't even feel the SA on my back on the way there, and it was super duper comfortable on the hike back to my apartment despite it weighing 10+ pounds. I was able to fit 2 bags of Epsom salt (6lbs), a bottle of wine, 2 jumbo rolls of paper towels, 2 air fresheners, a big bottle of dish soap, a clam of strawberries, a pack of grapes, a bag of carrots, and a pound of ground beef in the SA with no problem at all. Tom Bihn and company never ceases to amaze me with any of their products!
For some scale in the first picture, I'm about 5'9" and roughly 155lbs.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/y6e9ereq.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/java2uty.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/uny6yte6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/8u2ysaby.jpg

Rocks
03-30-2014, 02:50 PM
You can buy wine on a Sunday?!? Can't in Minnesota. :( I need to move! We can't have liquor in grocery stores either.
Great job with your Smart Alec! I walk and get groceries, too, so I know how important a good bag is. I may need to rethink the Smart Alec.

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 02:51 PM
That's funny considering I'm just the next state over...and it's only a 7 mile drive to great ole Minnesoooota! All HyVees and Lewis Drugs sell liquor all day, every day. It's very convenient!

maverick
03-30-2014, 02:53 PM
You can buy wine on a Sunday?!? Can't in Minnesota.

Why can't you buy wine on a Sunday?

Rocks
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Blue laws. Minnesota liquor stores are closed Sundays by law. You can get alcohol at a bar or restaurant, though.

scribe
03-30-2014, 03:00 PM
You can buy wine on a Sunday?!? Can't in Minnesota. :( I need to move! We can't have liquor in grocery stores.

I shall have to remember this when I visit Minnesota in July! Here (UK), you can't buy alcohol before 8am, which can be a nuisance if you need to buy some on the way to work to take to an event later in the day.

(Apologies for thread hijack...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamiltee
03-30-2014, 03:05 PM
If I recall correctly, Indiana has the same law as Minnesota. Florida used to prohibit sales before noon on Sundays, but I think that may have changed.

taminca
03-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Great shots, Moosezilla! That black/black/wasabi combo sure looks great and was a very close second to black/Aubergine/wasabi when I was placing my SA order. One of the problems with TB bags is that it is excruciating to decide on a color combo when I want one of each!

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 03:07 PM
Don't worry about the thread jacking! All y'alls can come on over to SD and we can go on a TB field trip to buy copious amounts of liquor at 6am...ON A SUNDAY!

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM
Great shots, Moosezilla! That black/black/wasabi combo sure looks great and was a very close second to black/Aubergine/wasabi when I was placing my SA order. One of the problems with TB bags is that it is excruciating to decide on a color combo when I want one of each!

I also contemplated getting the Black/Aubergine/Wasabi combo, but was itching for an all black bag with a wasabi interior! Annnddd I didn't want to wait. But it appears that the Aubergine color option for a lot of bags has disappeared! Good thing I have an iPad Ristretto, a kit, and a SE in Aubergine! LOVE that color!

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 03:25 PM
Is it sad that I'm mostly excited to have discovered that the SA water bottle pocket can fit a bottle of wine with no problem? Uh oh...

Rocks
03-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Is it sad that I'm mostly excited to have discovered that the SA water bottle pocket can fit a bottle of wine with no problem? Uh oh...

I was similarly excited to discover a bottle of wine fit in my nice new CoPilot... I've already discovered how much wine can fit in both size Synapses ;)

taminca
03-30-2014, 03:34 PM

Hey, that is VERY good to know! You've just prompted me to consider a new use for my SA -- for packing a picnic, complete with a nice bottle of wine :)

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Hey, that is VERY good to know! You've just prompted me to consider a new use for my SA -- for packing a picnic, complete with a nice bottle of wine :)

I splurged today and spent a whole $6 on a bottle of Moscato. That's as fancy as I get!

taminca
03-30-2014, 03:47 PM
I splurged today and spent a whole $6 on a bottle of Moscato. That's as fancy as I get!

I do believe that is a California wine... so you have excellent taste! :)

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 03:50 PM
I do believe that is a California wine... so you have excellent taste! :)

Hehe! Thanks! I was in Cali last February for a few days (including my birthday) and it was wonderful! I definitely want to visit again some day! It was nice to get away from the -35 degree weather we were having and smoke a cigar under a palm tree on my birfday...it was a good time.

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 04:08 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/y6ezuzys.jpg

After much struggle trying to get my wine open, here's to my TB friends!

Melissa
03-30-2014, 04:27 PM

Whoa!!!! I need to see this! Pic?!?!?

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 04:30 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/ahuturur.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/guheve4y.jpg

Ask and you shall receive! It fits with room to spare! Sorry for the limp state of the SA...

Melissa
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/ahuturur.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/31/guheve4y.jpg

Ask and you shall receive! It fits with room to spare!

Darn it. This may push me over the edge. I've been looking at the SA since it is available in black ballistic/Iberian. I don't the the WF is going to be offered in that color combo any time soon. I think the SA should fit the same amount of stuff. I'm looking for a bag to pack and go when DH and I take off for the weekend. This may fit the bill. Can I still get it WITHOUT the gun metal pulls?

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
Mine has the black pulls and I just ordered it on Monday! I think it may hold about the same as the WF...after eye balling my WF and SA, I think they could hold about the same...just depends how you want to organize it all.

kkintea
03-30-2014, 05:33 PM
Enablers! I'm wondering how long the black pulls will last...

Badger
03-30-2014, 05:54 PM
When I owned a SA, I found that depending on what I was packing, I could sometimes squeeze more into it than my WF. I can say with some authority that the bottle pocket on the WF does not fully contain a 375 ml bottle.

@ taminca, moscato is a varietal that can be grown in California, but the best (and not necessarily most expensive) comes from around Asti in Italy. In the states, Oregon wines are where it's at ;)

Melissa
03-30-2014, 06:49 PM
The SA seems to have a larger profile when viewed from the side than the S25, yet they are both about 25 liters. Does anyone own both? I love the look of the S25, but I think I prefer the ballistic nylon. Our weekend trips tend to be spontaneous trips to the desert (razors, jeeps, sand rail/dune buggies) or to the river (water skiing, "skurfing," wake-boarding, wave runners). The bags really need to be able to handle lots of abuse. (We live only 10 min from the beaches, but that is where we want to get away from!)

I am concerned about the profile because I would also like to be able to throw it in our motorcycle saddle bags.

taminca
03-30-2014, 07:34 PM
@ taminca, moscato is a varietal that can be grown in California, but the best (and not necessarily most expensive) comes from around Asti in Italy. In the states, Oregon wines are where it's at ;)

Ah poor, delusional Badger...you keep thinking that :). But zoom in on the wine bottle in the first set of photos Moosezilla posted, and you'll see that it is a Barefoot Wine moscato, made in California. Hence, an excellent indicator of Moosezilla's great taste.

Badger
03-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Ehhhh....

By that argument, Ernest and Julio Gallo and Franzia are class act wines just because they come from California.

I'm not saying moscato isn't tasty, even when it comes from California. Just that the best ones are from the place where the grape originated and that there are other wine regions besides Napa, Sonoma, and the RRV that are doing more interesting things than riding on the Cab and Chardonnay bus to yawn yawn snorey-ville.

taminca
03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
The SA seems to have a larger profile when viewed from the side than the S25, yet they are both about 25 liters. Does anyone own both? I love the look of the S25, but I think I prefer the ballistic nylon. Our weekend trips tend to be spontaneous trips to the desert (razors, jeeps, sand rail/dune buggies) or to the river (water skiing, "skurfing," wake-boarding, wave runners). The bags really need to be able to handle lots of abuse. (We live only 10 min from the beaches, but that is where we want to get away from!)

I am concerned about the profile because I would also like to be able to throw it in our motorcycle saddle bags.

I have both the SA and S25, Melissa, and have used both bags as my camera bag on half to full day outings. FWIW, I tend to use the S25 for shorter or more "urban" outings, and the SA for longer or "nature" hikes. The SA seems to have more capacity with its cavernous main compartment and also with the add on pouches -- but mostly, for me, it's because I can attach my tripod to the SA for a comfortable carry. And note that the SA is not made entirely of ballistic nylon -- just where the secondary color is, with the rest in Cordura.

Moosezilla
03-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Ah poor, delusional Badger...you keep thinking that :). But zoom in on the wine bottle in the first set of photos Moosezilla posted, and you'll see that it is a Barefoot Wine moscato, made in California. Hence, an excellent indicator of Moosezilla's great taste.

It is, indeed, Barefoot Moscato...my favorite! Cheap, yet fackin delicious!

ClaireJ
03-30-2014, 07:59 PM

I don't own both, but I was considering both before going to the store and getting my Synapse 25. Strangely, the S25 does *look* smaller, even though the SA is smaller in every dimension - this is probably because of the tapering of the S25 (which also explains why it has the same capacity as the SA, since the dimension measurements are at the widest points). From what I've seen, the S25 handles being underpacked much better, while the SA handles being overpacked (and, in the same vein, hastily packed) much better. Can't really comment on the ability to handle abuse though, since my S25 has yet to see any really strenuous conditions.

bunchgrass
03-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Umm Badger - have you tasted any Washington wines lately?

Badger
03-30-2014, 08:23 PM
Not recently because I don't live in the PNW at the moment, and it's hard to get Washington wines here that aren't from the big producers like Columbia or Ste. Michelle (not that those are bad). I think that Washington has some very good vineyards but if I'm being honest the varietals Washington is best known for aren't my favorites. I'm especially interested though in how eastern Washington is developing as a wine region, something I do not believe is as prevalent in Oregon.

Actually, the last time I was in Kentucky I was surprised at the number of wineries that have been established. It could very well be that we will see Kentucky emerge as a dynamic wine-producing state.

Full disclosure: I have only one bottle of wine in the house at the moment, and it's a 2008 Robert Hall cab. Gasp!

ETA: I've derailed this thread enough so I'm going to tap out now. Moosezilla, congrats on the new SA. I shall toast you from afar.

snowbot
03-31-2014, 05:51 AM
Congrats, Moosezilla. I love my Smart Alec.