PDA

View Full Version : Great Bags in beatyfull collors

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 04:35 AM
Hello, my name is Ilkyway and I am a bag-addict. I am sorry to say, that I do not want to be cured because this is such a nice addiction without doing any harm to anybody. Why do I tell you this? Because without this introduction the next photos might make no sense.

Lets start with a very fun color: the nordic dyneema has a rich deep blue which is not too dark to be gloomy and not to bright to be boyish. And because of the shine it is even somewhat classy.
Here comes my Nordic-collection5962 (the travel tray and the PCSB have to be added when the arrive)

luvdabags
04-16-2014, 04:37 AM
lovely! can't believe they would discontinue the nordic--it is just great!

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 04:38 AM
And now my other favorite color: Aubergine
I think the aubergine works best with the black straps and zippers etc. Also it is a girls color with a classy look. It goos with jeans as well with dresses and it is timeless.5963

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 04:44 AM
And now for the fun of it: all the colors I own mixed together.5964

Hello Tom Bihn and Crew!
Thank you for making my Bag-Passion so much fun.
Ilkyway

scribe
04-16-2014, 05:04 AM
No olive? For shame! :)

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 05:08 AM
I am not into green. My husband has a forest aronaut and that color is nice but no greens for me. I only like the wasaby in contrast with the aubergine.
Even the steel colors have a little touch of green and therefor are not my favorites. My mother tells me, that I was like this even when I was very jung so it seems to be in my genes ;-)

Leena
04-16-2014, 05:09 AM
I'm a bag addict as well :)

Your Smart Alec looks nice.

I'm more of a fan of the Steel Dyneema than I am of the Nordic but it is all good :)

luvdabags
04-16-2014, 05:15 AM
wow, Ilkyway. i want to visit your house! what a great collection. you have my two fav colors--nordic and aubergine. and for you, scribe, i have a great olive/UV SE too! LOVE the photos of people's collections. thanks!

scribe
04-16-2014, 05:16 AM
I am not into green. My husband has a forest aronaut and that color is nice but no greens for me. I only like the wasaby in contrast with the aubergine.

I'm the same re yellow. I have no interest in owning anything in solar :)

OTOH I love the blue-green tinge to steel (esp in parapack) - it reminds me of the metallic sheen you see on some bird feathers.

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 05:16 AM
For the Smart Alec I have the thank taminca and here post: http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7339-first-trip-smart-alec-camera-bag.html
I fell so much in love with her pictures that I had to buy it. It came yesterday and a took it for a quick hike through the woods. Thanks taminca for you great pictures!

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 05:18 AM
sribe I can see what you mean but it wount work for me. Maybe we should talk about a bag swap since we are both in Europe.

scribe
04-16-2014, 05:30 AM
Alas I have no bags I need to swap - I'm a newbie at this TB collecting game! I think the only item I have that isn't getting a whole lotta love is the Storm cordura OP, which doesn't quite coordinate with my predominantly green-and-purple collection.

taminca
04-16-2014, 07:13 AM
Great pics and a beautiful TB collection, @llkyway! You have my 2 favorite colors -- Nordic and Aubergine. Glad that you are enjoying the SA -- it's so gorgeous in Aubergine! Speaking of...in your Aubergine collection photo, what is the top left bag next to the Swift?

And I am totally covet your Aubergine Aeronaut with the "Portable Culture" logo/label!!!

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 07:19 AM
@taminca that is just the lower modular pocket of the SA. I wouldn't use it on a daily basis but it is nice to have when I have more to carry.

taminca
04-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks! I wondered if that was it. It is huge! Is it next to the Swift or Little Swift? I did not purchase one but am now thinking I might before it goes away (the upper modular pocket was no longer available in Aubergine last tine I looked).

Moosezilla
04-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Beautiful bags! I'm jealous that they get to live in Germany!! I miss living in Berlin... :(

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Thanks! I wondered if that was it. It is huge! Is it next to the Swift or Little Swift? I did not purchase one but am now thinking I might before it goes away (the upper modular pocket was no longer available in Aubergine last tine I looked).
It is next to the little Swift. I'd buy it because I would not like to have to mix colors on this bag if ever I needed this extra space. Just my opinion though.
Ilkyway

taminca
04-16-2014, 08:07 AM
It is next to the little Swift. I'd buy it because I would not like to have to mix colors on this bag if ever I needed this extra space. Just my opinion though.
Ilkyway

Agree. Enabler points for you, @Ilkyway! :)

kkintea
04-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Beautiful bags! I'm jealous that they get to live in Germany!! I miss living in Berlin... :(

I am headed to Berlin in July. It's for work, but what should I do/see in my down time?

Moosezilla
04-16-2014, 08:36 AM
I am headed to Berlin in July. It's for work, but what should I do/see in my down time?

EVERYTHING YOU CAN. Honestly, I lived there for a few months and didn't come close to seeing everything. My favorite area was Pottsdamer Platz. You can easily walk from there to the Reichstag, the Brandenburg Gate (my favorite thing in all of the land...I spent A LOT of time there), and the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. There's a beautiful park over there, too. If you get a chance, it's totally worth it to go up to the top of the Fernsehturm (the giant tv tower in Alexanderplatz) if you want a beautiful view of the city. The DDR Museum is pretty cool, too. Potsdam is also a beautiful little village and you can get there by using the public transportation system. Utilize that as much as you can...it's super duper easy once you get the hang of it. My favorite thing to do was to grab a beer out of a side shop and just walk around and explore the city that way. I hope you enjoy Berlin as much as I did!

Moosezilla
04-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Oh, btw, the Kotbusser Tor area can be a little sketch...especially if you're a 22 year old girl drunkenly wandering around at 2am (I may or may not have almost gotten snatched by a French speaking drug dealer)...not that I would know from personal experience...*cough*...

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 08:59 AM
kkintea, who by the way kindly helped me do decide, that I wanted the Swift in Nordic (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7449-fotorequest-can-anybody-post-photos-swift-nordic.html), asked for the inside of the SCB.

@ Kkintea I hope this is, what you had in mind?596559665967

For reference: it is the SE inside, the pencil is 16 cm and the phone is a galaxy note 2 (so quite large). I hope this helps.

Ilkyway

Edit: I just found this post by maverick: http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/6889-small-cafe-bag.html at #7 he shoes the SCM from the inside out. I was not thinking of that much better idea.

Rocks
04-16-2014, 09:00 AM
And now for the fun of it: all the colors I own mixed together.5964

Hello Tom Bihn and Crew!
Thank you for making my Bag-Passion so much fun.
Ilkyway

I love all the Side Effects! Especially seeing the steel parapack next to steel Dyneema. I have the steel Dyneema one on the way right now! I initially had the steel parapack on order, but like you, there's something about the greenish tinge that doesn't speak to me. Plus I really like Dyneema…

My favorite TB color is navy ballistic. I have a Copilot in that color. My favorite Dyneema color changes all the time. Used to be UV, now it's Iberian. I used to hate wasabi, now I like it. Solar isn't bad either! I'm fickle.

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 09:07 AM
Rocks I do like the navy too. In ballistic I onley have a very small pouch but it will get company in the future. And the navy parapack is very nice tool I just changed that SE for my pencil case. I have a tiny McPaper Store that I carry around as a pencil case and the SE-Size is quite right for that.
Ilkyway

icebeng
04-16-2014, 09:41 AM
I've only just managed to rationalize that I do not need multiple Side Effects...
Then llkyway posts all these awesome photos, with post number 4 showing not one, not two, not three, but FIVE Side Effects!!!
Good grief!! How am I supposed to have any self restraint like that?!?!? lol

You have a very enviable collection, llkyway! ^.^

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 09:51 AM
icebeng, I can rationalize all of them, I can, I can, I can... try: one is my purse (the aubergine one) but aubergine does not work with some of my clothes so I bought the steel parapac for days when the aubergine one does not work. But (as I said above) the color was not right for me. So I had to buy the nordic (which conviently just came up as I needed it.) But by than I had found out, that the parapack SE makes a great pencil case. The steel dyneema is 200d which is to wobely for a purse but makes a great toiletry bag. So there you have it: 1 Toiletry bag, 1 Pencil-case, 1 purse, 1 second color purse, 1 wrong color-choice and that is all totally reasonable isn't it?

icebeng
04-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Totally! Why couldn't I see that befo....?
Noooooooooooooooo!!!!

must..... resist.....!!!

taminca
04-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Agree. Enabler points for you, @Ilkyway! :)

OH NO!!!!! No more Aubergine lower modular pocket for the SA :(

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 10:31 AM
Oh taminca I saw that an hour ago and thought that you bought the last one. Well lets hope it is coming back. I did not read anything about retiring aubergine. And if I HAD to colormix here I would take the forest one because I think Aubergine and Forest look great together. Give me a minute, I take a picture of that colorcombi.

Here a picture of aubergine on forest:5970

Just to give the idea

Ilkyway

taminca
04-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Ilkyway, thank you! I just email TB and asked that they add the Forest Lower Modular Pocket to an order I placed earlier. Still...am crossing my fingers that Aubergine will return. Another TB product page that I will have to regularly check...

Tlacltme
04-16-2014, 11:43 AM
I went to order an Aubergine SA a week or two ago and it's no longer listed in the dropdown menu, even for backorder :( Hopefully this doesn't mean something...

Tlacltme
04-16-2014, 11:45 AM
oh- and fabulous pics, @ilkyway! The navy ballistic is my favorite, but I've been having a recent and passionate love affair with Aubergine this spring :)

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 12:10 PM
In my opinion they have so much on their to do list with the wasabi out of stock and new bags on the brim... when that is all sorted out I believe, that the aubergine SA will return. I am sending positiv thoughts out there!
Ilkyway

Tachiyaku
04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
And now my other favorite color: Aubergine
I think the aubergine works best with the black straps and zippers etc. Also it is a girls color with a classy look. It goos with jeans as well with dresses and it is timeless.5963

I would have to contest that aubergine is a girl's color :) I bought a co-pilot in aubergine because I thought it was a lovely gender neutral color.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ilkyway
04-16-2014, 12:56 PM
Tachiyaku, sorry if I sounded narrow-minded. By all means enjoy this beautifully bag. I have seen this one on photos and I think it looks fabulous. And since my husband does not look ridiculous with my aubergine Aeronaut you have to be right about the gender neutrality. But in my head my SA will always be a girls backpack ;-)

Ilkyway

Tachiyaku
04-16-2014, 01:58 PM
Ha, no worries :) I think all colors ought to be de-gendered anyway, but that's just me ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darcy
04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
I went to order an Aubergine SA a week or two ago and it's no longer listed in the dropdown menu, even for backorder :( Hopefully this doesn't mean something...

Aubergine is here to stay (at least for now) -- it's just that we won't be making the Smart Alec in Aubergine this time around…

Tlacltme
04-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Aubergine is here to stay (at least for now) -- it's just that we won't be making the Smart Alec in Aubergine this time around…

Good to know! Thanks, Darcy. I will keep my eyes open for the return of the Aubergine/Wasabi Smart Alec...and jump quickly when it reappears :)

moriond
04-17-2014, 01:37 PM
I would have to contest that aubergine is a girl's color :) I bought a co-pilot in aubergine because I thought it was a lovely gender neutral color.

Just a quick comment, but @Seikoguy has taken some beautiful pictures of his Aubergine bag collection -- they're quite stunning, and he started collecting travel bags in Aubergine as soon as that color was released. Try browsing the Attachment forums under his name. Here are a few examples:
http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7127-co-pilot-hits-3-nations-day-part-1-2-a.html
http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/5491-aubergine-twins-commence-their-trip.html
http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/1855-tb-anticipation-syndrome-53.html#post42900
That last post is in the middle of the TB Anticipation Syndrome thread, so scroll up to see some of the pictures of bags (notmall with Aubergine) that he bought other members of his family. Really addictive photographs.

moriond

Ilkyway
04-17-2014, 03:04 PM
If I did not have the CP in steel balistic thouse pictures would have made me buy it emiditly (this word just won't stop being underlined red. I hope you get what I mean anyway. Sometimes it is tricky thinking in German and writhing in English) in aubergine. But CP-wise I am a Dyneema-Girl. It is to stiff for me in ballistic. And the dyneema one does a good job as a bag in bag in the SA, S25 and Swift. Although I have to say that my CP stays home a lot.

Ilkyway

Moosezilla
04-17-2014, 03:37 PM
If I did not have the CP in steel balistic thouse pictures would have made me buy it emiditly (this word just won't stop being underlined red. I hope you get what I mean anyway. Sometimes it is tricky thinking in German and writhing in English) in aubergine. But CP-wise I am a Dyneema-Girl. It is to stiff for me in ballistic. And the dyneema one does a good job as a bag in bag in the SA, S25 and Swift. Although I have to say that my CP stays home a lot.

Ilkyway

I totally get the whole thinking in German and writing in English thing...it's tough! (Vise versa for me!) I totally agree with Aubergine...I, too, have a CP in steel ballistic, but I would totally buy one in Aubergine if I had the funds and reasons for a 2nd CP! AHHHH

Ilkyway
04-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Ilkyway, thank you! I just email TB and asked that they add the Forest Lower Modular Pocket to an order I placed earlier. Still...am crossing my fingers that Aubergine will return. Another TB product page that I will have to regularly check...

taminca: I just saw that it is on backorder in Aubergine now. Maybe you can still swap?

@ Tlacltme for you too: the SA is in Aubergine for backorder.

Ilkyway

taminca
04-22-2014, 07:42 AM
taminca: I just saw that it is on backorder in Aubergine now. Maybe you can still swap?

@ Tlacltme for you too: the SA is in Aubergine for backorder.

Ilkyway

WooHoo! Thanks for catching that, Ilkyway.

taminca
04-24-2014, 07:21 AM
taminca: I just saw that it is on backorder in Aubergine now.

I was able to add the Aubergine Lower Modular Pocket to my backorder of Nordic and Black Dyneema TTs, PCSBs and PCBPs. June really just cannot come soon enough!

Ilkyway
04-24-2014, 10:42 AM
taminca, apart from the Lower Modular Pocket thous are exact the items I have pending tool but only in nordic no black. So lets jump ahead to June. What about the forest Lower Modular Pocket. Do you have to send it bag or wasn't it on its way when Aubergine was available again?

Ilkyway

taminca
04-25-2014, 06:38 AM
taminca, apart from the Lower Modular Pocket thous are exact the items I have pending tool but only in nordic no black. So lets jump ahead to June. What about the forest Lower Modular Pocket. Do you have to send it bag or wasn't it on its way when Aubergine was available again?

Ilkyway, I must confess to being a TB bag hound (as if anyone reading my posts could not tell). I picked up a used Forest/Ultraviolet SA and now have both upper and lower modular pockets in Forest for it.

My justifications: 1) the Aubergine SA is my dedicated camera bag (which I hate unpacking) and the Forest I use for long day or overnight trips; and 2) I "needed" a "companion" for my Forest/Cork/Wasabi Imago (eternal gratitude to @monkeylady for selling!). Well, that's my story and I am sticking to it!

moriond
04-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Ilkyway, I must confess to being a TB bag hound (as if anyone reading my posts could not tell). I picked up a used Forest/Ultraviolet SA and now have both upper and lower modular pockets in Forest for it.

My justifications: 1) the Aubergine SA is my dedicated camera bag (which I hate unpacking) and the Forest I use for long day or overnight trips; and 2) I "needed" a "companion" for my Forest/Cork/Wasabi Imago (eternal gratitude to @monkeylady for selling!). Well, that's my story and I am sticking to it!
Hmm… on the "green theme" does that mean I should point you to the Conifer Synapse (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Bihn-Synapse-19-backpack-Conifer-Steel-Retired-Color-/181386459867) currently on auction at eBay? This retired color in the original design Synapse (with "Portable Culture" label and narrower backpack strap placement) would go with your Forest accessories. (I just didn't think you would buy another bag…)

moriond

taminca
04-25-2014, 11:16 AM
Hmm… on the "green theme" does that mean I should point you to the Conifer Synapse (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tom-Bihn-Synapse-19-backpack-Conifer-Steel-Retired-Color-/181386459867) currently on auction at eBay? This retired color in the original design Synapse (with "Portable Culture" label and narrower backpack strap placement) would go with your Forest accessories. (I just didn't think you would buy another bag…)

Thanks, @moriond, but even I must recognize my limits :) so no Conifer S19 for me. But as part of my green theme, I recently traded my Steel Dyneema S19 with another Forum member for her Olive Parapack S19.

Ilkyway
04-27-2014, 04:39 AM
taminca you make me think about a second SA... What a very good rationalization for having two of them!

If I had your set I'd try out mixing the modular pockets. If you have have some time you do not know what to do with: I would love to see photos of your forest SA with or without aubergine modular pockets. The forest green is the only green that is tempting me. My husbands Aeronout is forest and it looks great next to my aubergine one.

taminca
04-27-2014, 07:12 AM
taminca you make me think about a second SA... What a very good rationalization for having two of them!

If I had your set I'd try out mixing the modular pockets. If you have have some time you do not know what to do with: I would love to see photos of your forest SA with or without aubergine modular pockets. The forest green is the only green that is tempting me. My husbands Aeronout is forest and it looks great next to my aubergine one.

Forest is indeed gorgeous. I will post some pics of the Forest SA for you, Ilkyway.

Btw I just noticed that a bit of wishful thinking slipped into my earlier post (which I now cannot edit)... I described my Imago as Forest/Cork/Wasabi when it is actually Forest/Cork/Steel. Apparently, my Wasabi love goes deep into the subconscious.

taminca
04-27-2014, 04:36 PM
I would love to see photos of your forest SA with or without aubergine modular pockets.

Ilkyway, I cannot seem to take a good photo today... Cannot find any good light outside or inside and the camera's flash gives the ballistic fabric a weird sheen/pattern. Ah well... Here are my best attempts.

When the Aubergine Lower Modular Pocket arrives, I might try again to photograph these two SAs with alternating colored pockets. Although, I can already tell that I much prefer using the same colors for the SA and modular pockets.

And, yes, another reason I could not resist the Forest SA was the "Portable Culture" logo :)

Ilkyway
04-27-2014, 11:42 PM
taminca thank you so much. You are right though, they look better with there "own" modular pockets. Congratulations on this great find of a forest SA. And I have to say, I anvy you the "Portable Culture" logo. For me made in USA is only valuable because it means "NOT made in China" but for obvious reasons it helds no patriotic value for me.
But "Portable Culture" is right on target with the essence of these bags, isn't it?

Take care
Ilkyway