PDA

View Full Version : Official Aeronaut 30 Thread

Darcy
04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
30 Liters

Exterior Dimensions: 19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9" / 500 x 320 x 200mm

Pre-order is likely to be by mid-June. And that's all we're saying until then…

taminca
04-30-2014, 03:57 PM
30 Liters

Hmm.... Tri-Star is 33 liters with dimensions of 19 x 13 x 8 so this is very close. Cannot wait til June!

Frank II
04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
And that's all we're saying until then…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

Now everyone can just wait calmly and be patient until all is revealed......like that's gonna happen.

monkeylady
04-30-2014, 05:00 PM
Hmm.... Tri-Star is 33 liters with dimensions of 19 x 13 x 8 so this is very close. Cannot wait til June!

Perfect for me!

WendyK
04-30-2014, 05:29 PM
Exactly what I'm looking for!

Vecturist
04-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Definitely very close to what I am looking for - now to try and wait patiently for more details - like the overall description, color options, price, and if it will have it's own packing cubes!

eWalker
04-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Definitely very close to what I am looking for - now to try and wait patiently for more details - like the overall description, color options, price, and if it will have it's own packing cubes!

I hope it comes as a set, with packing cubes and nested convertible packing cubes!

philly
04-30-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanks for fixing the post about the dimensions, makes a lot more sense now. Excited to see the little bugger!

maverick
04-30-2014, 07:14 PM
30 Liters

That sounds fantastic!

Putting it in context with the other travel bags (sorted by volume) -

Bag
Height (in)Width (in)Depth (in)
Height (mm)Width (mm)Depth (mm)
Volume (cu in)Volume (l)

Aeronaut (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0906.html)
22"14"9"
555mm355mm230mm
2700 cubic in45 liters

Tri-Star (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0940.html)
19"13"8"
480mm330mm205mm
2000 cubic in33 liters

Aeronaut 30
19.7"12.6"7.9"
500mm320mm200mm
1830 cubic in30 liters

Western Flyer (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0950.html)
18"12"7"
455mm305mm180mm
1600 cubic in26 liters

Pilot (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/pilot.html)
11.4"15.4"5.1"
290mm390mm130mm
800 cubic in13 liters

Co-Pilot (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0967.html)
10"12"5"
255mm300mm125mm
600 cubic in10 liters

I hope I copied all of the data correctly...

thorn
04-30-2014, 10:03 PM
500mm x 320mm x 200mm = 32000000 cubic mm = 1952.75981 cubic inches = 32.0 liters
19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9 = 1960 cubic inches = 32.1 liters
I'm not getting 30, are internal dimensions that much smaller?

icebeng
04-30-2014, 10:10 PM
there could be curves or very slight tapering, that's probably where the 2 liters got shaved off.

GoStanford
04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
I'm hoping it has a non-backpack strap option with a zip pocket to anchor it over a wheeled suitcase. I use a Victorinox with ergonomic grip (the user's arm is extended parallel to the body in a natural walking position) rather than steady grip. I always check the Victorinox and would like a way to carry a duffel-style bag on it for long trips. I could use the Aero30 on board for storage of key items and then anchor it on the suitcase to walk through the airport, etc.

Though now I realize that with a single zip, the duffel would slosh around on the suitcase - two zips might work better or some sort of buckle/strap I could rig.

tpnl
04-30-2014, 10:42 PM
500mm x 320mm x 200mm = 32000000 cubic mm = 1952.75981 cubic inches = 32.0 liters
19.7 x 12.6 x 7.9 = 1960 cubic inches = 32.1 liters
I'm not getting 30, are internal dimensions that much smaller?

Note if you do the same calc with the other TB bags, you get some differences - TriStar is 32.5L instead of 33 listed, Western Flyer is 25L compared to 26L listed. There is a big difference the other way for the Pilot which is 14.7L vs 13L listed.

There may be a variance by doing a rough estimate using the basic dimensions because the aeronaut is not a rectangular cube - the Aeronaut '45' is tapered side to side (between the backpack strap side and the main opening side). This may be more pronounced in the new Aeronaut 30 version - similar to what @icebeng wrote. This combined with an updated way of measuring volume based on new standards may introduce the difference between our rough calc and what is advertised. Also, they may or may not be including the volume in the backpack strap pocket this time - who knows!!
I think it may be just to keep the names easy to remember. Do you think your 328 BMW really has a 2.8L engine these days .... :)

Cheers!

scribe
04-30-2014, 11:01 PM
IIRC, someone (Darcy?) said a while back that TB measure bag volume by filling with packing peanuts and then measuring the volume of those. It gives a more realistic measure of how much stuff you can get into the bag than just doing the maths on the exterior dimensions.

Also, given that the Aeronaut 30 is almost certain to have end-pockets like its big brother, the dividing fabric is going to lower the available space compared to if it was a single compartment.

icebeng
04-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Just to add to what @scribe wrote, if the stow-able back pack straps are going to be one of the features of the Aeronaut 30, then they might also take up some space when tucked away inside.

thorn
05-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Just to add to what @scribe wrote, if the stow-able back pack straps are going to be one of the features of the Aeronaut 30, then they might also take up some space when tucked away inside. Good point.

Frank II
05-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Just to add to what @scribe wrote, if the stow-able back pack straps are going to be one of the features of the Aeronaut 30, then they might also take up some space when tucked away inside.

I, occasionally, use that space to pack a light jacket. It's easy to get to if needed. Especially if it can pack flat.

Should it start to rain, or it gets chilly, I can easily reach into the backpack strap compartment, pull out the jacket, and not have to deal with any of the other compartments.

eWalker
05-01-2014, 06:46 AM
I, occasionally, use that space to pack a light jacket. It's easy to get to if needed. Especially if it can pack flat.

Should it start to rain, or it gets chilly, I can easily reach into the backpack strap compartment, pull out the jacket, and not have to deal with any of the other compartments.

Great packing tip!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

scribe
05-01-2014, 08:11 AM

Ooh, good idea! I bet that would also work with the other bags that have stowable backpack straps (TriStar, Western Flyer) :)

Frank II
05-01-2014, 09:02 AM
Ooh, good idea! I bet that would also work with the other bags that have stowable backpack straps (TriStar, Western Flyer) :)

It works with any bag that has stowable backpack straps as long as that compartment has a zipper. There are a couple of bags, non-TB, that stow their backpack straps in an open pouch. That's not good as the jacket could fall out.

moriond
05-01-2014, 09:16 AM
In bags like the Western Flyer or Tri-Star you can also use the front water bottle pocket for stowing a light jacket, and you don't have to worry about packing flat. Or I can even roll the windbreaker around an umbrella and keep both in the pocket (depends on the sizes of each whether you can do this, and I suspect my jacket is a lot smaller than Frank's). I tend to use the zippered pocket for the backpack straps to store an iPad in its cache in these bags (Western Flyer, Tri-Star, or Aeronaut)

moriond

kkintea
05-01-2014, 09:24 AM
In bags like the Western Flyer or Tri-Star you can also use the front water bottle pocket for stowing a light jacket, and you don't have to worry about packing flat. Or I can even roll the windbreaker around an umbrella and keep both in the pocket (depends on the sizes of each whether you can do this, and I suspect my jacket is a lot smaller than Frank's). I tend to use the zippered pocket for the backpack straps to store an iPad in its cache in these bags (Western Flyer, Tri-Star, or Aeronaut)

moriond

What a great idea for umbrella/jacket packing. I will try this out on my next trip!

Frank II
05-01-2014, 10:10 AM
In bags like the Western Flyer or Tri-Star you can also use the front water bottle pocket for stowing a light jacket, and you don't have to worry about packing flat. Or I can even roll the windbreaker around an umbrella and keep both in the pocket (depends on the sizes of each whether you can do this, and I suspect my jacket is a lot smaller than Frank's).
moriond

I didn't know any Lilliputians still existed!!! :)

Moose
05-01-2014, 03:37 PM
I use the backpack strap pocket all the time. I keep my absolute strap in there when not in use. I've used it for magazines, clothes and basically anything flat-ish in shape.

Lime
05-01-2014, 04:21 PM
I can't believe this thread already has two pages of comments! I'm super eager to see what the little 'nauttie looks like and I can clearly see I'm not alone in this.

bb93fo57
05-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Think this hits the sweet spot, size-wise (at least for me).

Looking forward to seeing what design surprises and new details might be in store for us...

Darcy
05-01-2014, 05:11 PM
Think this hits the sweet spot, size-wise (at least for me).

Looking forward to seeing what design surprises and new details might be in store for us...

It's gonna be good. Especially the surprises part.

thorn
05-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Does it split in half to become two day backpacks?

eWalker
05-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Or have packing cubes that may be attached to each other and become an overnight bag?

icebeng
05-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Or have packing cubes that may be attached to each other and become an overnight bag?

I'm suddenly reminded of my Transformers toys back when I was a kid. :)

Blackeagle
05-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of my Transformers toys back when I was a kid. :)

Optmus Bihn

JLE
05-02-2014, 12:28 AM
It's gonna be good. Especially the surprises part.

I hope the surprise is that new supplies of parapack have been secured and it will be available in navy!

heparker
05-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Aeronaut 30 in Navy/Wasabi would be great! Can't wait...

Vecturist
05-02-2014, 08:00 AM
I'd love Black Dyneema/Iberian...

Sacharissa
05-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I'd love Black Dyneema/Iberian...

I second that! AndI wouldn't mind Aubergine/Wasabi or Aubergine/Ultraviolet either!

bchaplin
05-02-2014, 06:02 PM
I would want to buy this in a light fabric, such as dyneema or parapack, because it is already a small bag and the likelihood of it being forcibly checked seems very low. However, aubergine would be tempting! I have a Side Effect in that color and it's very nice.

taminca
05-02-2014, 06:39 PM
I would want to buy this in a light fabric, such as dyneema or parapack, because it is already a small bag and the likelihood of it being forcibly checked seems very low. However, aubergine would be tempting! I have a Side Effect in that color and it's very nice.

Think Aubergine Parapack, @bchaplin! If only wishing could make it so :)

Walker
05-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Aubergine parapack - count me in!

alief
05-03-2014, 05:22 AM
I would want to buy this in a light fabric, such as dyneema or parapack...

Is the parapack a lightweight fabric? How does it compare, weight-wise, to the dyneema?

Sacharissa
05-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Think Aubergine Parapack, @bchaplin! If only wishing could make it so :)

Ooooooo! Make so! please make it so!

honeybee33
05-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Hopefully not before I get another warm-color in parapack! Too many cool neutrals - wouldn't parapack in an antique gold or a deep rust be yummy?

Washu
05-06-2014, 12:53 PM
As long as the exterior is Aubergine, I wouldn't care what color the interior is!

thorn
05-06-2014, 03:29 PM
The aubergine is really pretty but too pinkish (like Barney) for me to sport. If there was a rich dark purple, I think I would choose that, but until then, I'll have to go with something else.

jangle
05-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Perfect Size! Hopefully lightweight fabrics!
Can I pre-order now????????

PaulT00
05-06-2014, 06:10 PM
The aubergine is really pretty but too pinkish (like Barney) for me to sport. If there was a rich dark purple, I think I would choose that, but until then, I'll have to go with something else.

I would have said that the aubergine is a rich dark purple - my aubergine ristretto doesn't seem remotely pinkish to me! But each to their own...

thorn
05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
The pictures online for the aeronaut look fairly light.

backpack
05-06-2014, 09:50 PM
The pictures online for the aeronaut look fairly light.

The picture was taken in full light indoors, the way one would take a modeling picture.

In real life, all the Ballistic colors look more like French Napoleon Empire era colors, very "masculine" and rich.

If you are into fountain pen, the color is very close to Poussiere de Lune, an ink from Herbin.

I saw the Ballistic and Cordura colors at the store, when I visited, in 2011.
But, if you still have any doubt, you can request a fabric sample. I did that for Parapack and immediately was taken by Steel shimmering quality.

scribe
05-06-2014, 11:27 PM
I'll second backpack's description of the colours - my aubergine knitting tool pouches are several shades darker than that Aeronaut photo, more like a rich warm purple. Likewise iberian dyneema is richer than it appears in photos, more like blood red than bright scarlet.

I'm not sure it's the indoor lighting that's to blame, though, as the outdoor photos of the steel FJN make it look substantially paler than it really is. The simple fact is that colours are never going to be accurate and consistent on a computer screen, because a) screens vary in colour temperature and b) they emit light rather than reflecting it.

cpau
05-07-2014, 03:10 AM
O. M. G.

I have been waiting YEARS for this. Like, 6 years at least (it's all there in old posts). And a whole lot of travelling with bags that weren't quite right.

*swoons*

heparker
05-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Please say more..:cool:You know you want to...

bchaplin
05-11-2014, 08:54 AM
I'm torn about this bag. The Aeronaut, which I used to have, can be too heavy for me to carry comfortably. I was hoping that this new version would be just a little smaller than the Aeronaut, but not dramatically smaller. However, at 30 liters, it is between the capacity of the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star, and may not be enough for me on long trips. I was looking for something about 35-40 liters, I think.

On the other hand, I was exploring the different carry-on requirements of the airlines, and I did notice one interesting thing. As we all know, even if a bag fits most sizers, it can still be gate-checked if the overhead bins are already too full. On EasyJet, they are now offering a guarantee that your bag will stay in the cabin with you if it is 50 x 40 x 20 cm or less (http://support.easyjet.com/request.do?view()=c%7bc7b3bfc0-ced8-11e2-ef6e-000000000000%7d). So the Tri-Star, Aeronaut 30 and Western Flyer would all qualify.

EasyJet seems to have some draconian rules, but at least they are evenly enforced, from what I could read. It's annoying when the order of boarding determines who gets the overhead space. I keep searching for the "maximum capacity bag that is guaranteed to stay with me". This is, of course, a moving target. However, the Aeronaut 30 might fill that role.

scribe
05-11-2014, 09:09 AM
On the other hand, I was exploring the different carry-on requirements of the airlines, and I did notice one interesting thing. As we all know, even if a bag fits most sizers, it can still be gate-checked if the overhead bins are already too full. On EasyJet, they are now offering a guarantee that your bag will stay in the cabin with you if it is 50 x 40 x 20 cm or less (http://support.easyjet.com/request.do?view()=c%7bc7b3bfc0-ced8-11e2-ef6e-000000000000%7d). So the Tri-Star, Aeronaut 30 and Western Flyer would all qualify.

They qualify as long as you don't stuff them. My WF slid into the smaller EasyJet sizer OK, but I think the TS would only do so if it was fairly lightly packed. It doesn't take much for the bag to bulge on each side by half an inch or so, and then you're looking at a lot of squishing to get it in there if it's ever disputed.

OTOH the sleek lines and ease-of-carrying of the WF/TS form factor don't usually merit a second glance from the EasyJet ground crew :)

Vecturist
05-11-2014, 01:37 PM
I kind of wish some of the major airlines here in the states would adopt that kind of policy. Enforcement seems inconsistent at best here. After a couple bad experiences checking luggage (I haven't in 10 years except for a couple valet checks), I now strategize as best I can, hence my ongoing push to be a minimalist traveler and the search for my perfect bag (which has gotten smaller as the years go by).

And not having to worry about luggage on the plane is only part of the equation - dealing with public transport when traveling, not having to worry about stashing luggage when I want to go sightseeing after getting off the plane/train, and of course the mad sprint across half the terminal to make my connecting flight when my last flight was delayed are all part of it.

Jeff A
05-13-2014, 11:04 AM
Maybe one small pic of the Aeronaut 30 to hold us over? :) Hard to debate dimensions for another month, haha! All kidding aside, can't wait to see it!

Darcy
05-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Maybe one small pic of the Aeronaut 30 to hold us over? :) Hard to debate dimensions for another month, haha! All kidding aside, can't wait to see it!

Sure! We posted one (very small!) last week on Instagram. (http://instagram.com/p/nyw5tjA9MK/) :)

kkintea
05-13-2014, 01:07 PM

There is a tiny glimpse in a pic posted to Twitter. The zippers will be the new style from the looks of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kkintea
05-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I must've had the idea at the same time as @Darcy!

Jeff A
05-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Sure! We posted one (very small!) last week on Instagram. (http://instagram.com/p/nyw5tjA9MK/) :)

Yes, very small indeed, haha! I think every week a bigger piece should be unveiled :)

eWalker
05-13-2014, 01:10 PM

What is that color? It looks too bluish to be steel...

Ilkyway
05-13-2014, 01:33 PM

If this would be a new steel more on the blue side... That would be so great and bad in one go. My mother had a long cloak in a grey/blue velvet when I was small. I always thought of it as the most elegant thing in the world.

moriond
05-13-2014, 01:34 PM

The Instagram post looked to me like a Steel ballistic Nylon Shot of the end pocket. Will be curious to see if they kept both end pockets from the original Aeronaut or instituted a modification of the way these access the central space.

Ilkyway
05-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Steel Dyneema? I thought dyneema came always with the white grid?

moriond
05-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Steel Dyneema? I thought dyneema came always with the white grid?

@Ilkway You're quite correct; I mistyped. I meant Steel Ballistic Nylon, and corrected my post.

Darcy
05-13-2014, 02:06 PM
The Instagram post looked to me like a Steel ballistic Nylon Shot of the end pocket. Will be curious to see if they kept both end pockets from the original Aeronaut or instituted a modification of the way these access the central space.

moriond is right: the photo shows our Steel 1050d HT Ballistic nylon.

eWalker
05-13-2014, 02:41 PM
moriond is right: the photo shows our Steel 1050d HT Ballistic nylon.

Thanks @Darcy and @Moriond. Loved this first glimpse of what is coming! :)

Mulligan
05-23-2014, 03:06 PM

It looks like the zippers are different than on the original Aeronaut. Will these zippers - or any other design changes - be made to the original Aeronaut in conjunction with the release of the smaller Aeronaut 30?

I have an original Aeronaut, which has been a fantastic bag. I want to place an order for another one, but I don't want to order one if an updated version will be released in the immediate future.

I would greatly appreciate your reply - then I will either place an order immediately, or wait a few months for the 'latest and greatest'.

Thank you!

WendyK
05-29-2014, 08:31 PM
A question for Darcy: Is everything still on track for mid-June pre-orders? Maybe earlier? please please please

bijoux
05-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Would someone please post the Aeronaut 30 pic here for those without access to twitter and instagram

tpnl
05-29-2014, 11:27 PM
@bijoux and everyone else:

... and it still does not help with our longing to see it all ... :)

Cheers!

GoStanford
05-29-2014, 11:31 PM
I can't stand it (stated in tone like Charlie Brown and the gang). It's almost the end of May and I just can't stand it. Who's with me?

scribe
05-29-2014, 11:50 PM
I'm with you - although my impatience is for the mysterious additional items, rather than the A30. I have enough travel bags for now!

Janine
05-30-2014, 07:09 AM
I'm with you - although my impatience is for the mysterious additional items, rather than the A30. I have enough travel bags for now!

I'm impatient about it all! Bring on the announcements already!

WendyK
05-30-2014, 07:23 AM
I can't stand it (stated in tone like Charlie Brown and the gang). It's almost the end of May and I just can't stand it. Who's with me?

That's exactly how I feel!

thorn
05-30-2014, 07:24 AM
Hope it has document/magazine pockets in front.

Vecturist
05-30-2014, 08:27 AM
"Lord, grant me patience, and grant it now," is all I can think right now. I mean, Sunday is the first of June...

Darcy
05-30-2014, 11:10 AM
It's looking more like the end of June than the beginning of June. Everything's in the works: we wanted to get a few more details just right. And, I mean, I don't think we've ever debuted this many things at once before…. it's a lot of work, and it's going to be way fun!

WendyK
05-30-2014, 11:22 AM
It's looking more like the end of June than the beginning of June. Everything's in the works: we wanted to get a few more details just right. And, I mean, I don't think we've ever debuted this many things at once before…. it's a lot of work, and it's going to be way fun!

If it's not going to be until the end of June now, I wonder what the chances are of getting one before my vacation at the beginning of August. Starting to wonder if I should just buy the regular Aeronaut instead.

binje
05-30-2014, 11:35 AM
If it's not going to be until the end of June now, I wonder what the chances are of getting one before my vacation at the beginning of August. Starting to wonder if I should just buy the regular Aeronaut instead.

Since all of the regular Aeronauts are on backorder right now, I'd suggest ordering one so you have something waiting in the wings. If the Aeronaut 30 (I guess that's what you're interested in) debuts before your backorder ships, you can probably change your order easily. If not, you'll still have the option to exchange the Aeronaut. Either way, you'll have a Bihn bag for your vacation.

I have noticed a tendency to underpromise and overdeliver on the part of Tom Bihn, which I really appreciate. I love being surprised in a positive way!

thorn
05-30-2014, 11:54 AM
It would be nice to be have the details of the A30 now so we can decide to wait for it or order something else sooner (if the A30 won't fit the bill) in time for a trip.

luvdabags
05-30-2014, 03:54 PM

So excited to see what ya got, Darcy!

Anniegill
05-31-2014, 11:52 PM
Man! This is all head spinning...I just bit the bullet and ordered a Tristar with all the trimmings! Now I have to deal with waiting for it...on back order...and now another Aeronaut...I really thought for a split moment in time that my big bag purchases were completed. I ordered the Tristar when I heard about the price increases. I had made up excuses...that I actually believed, to keep me from getting a bag I had thought about for a long time. TBAS! What is a girl to do? I do love my Aeronaut, Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25 and 19. 😊. Yes...I admit I DO have a problem, that sure is a LOT OF FUN!

WendyK
06-01-2014, 07:36 AM
I went ahead and ordered the Aeronaut in Aubergine/wasabi, assorted packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap. It's back ordered until early July, I almost hope it won't be available until then so I have time to see how the Aeronaut 30 compares. Either way, I know I'll have an awesome bag.

Moosezilla
06-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Must. Have. Steel/Wasabi. Aeronaut 30.

But seriously. If you guys offer the A30 in Steel/Wasabi, you can have ALL of my money. All of it.

Moose
06-02-2014, 05:05 PM
? I do love my Aeronaut, Pilot, Co-Pilot, Synapse 25 and 19. 😊. Yes...I admit I DO have a problem, that sure is a LOT OF FUN!

Anniegill, I'm not always the brightest, can you spell out the problem? I really don't see it. :)

Anniegill
06-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Anniegill, I'm not always the brightest, can you spell out the problem? I really don't see it. :)

Oh thank goodness Moose, I am OKAY then. I was worried about me....now I can sleep. It's a good thing we can get "therapy" here!!! 👍😝😊
But wait! One problem remains...how will I ever wait until the end of June to get my Black/Solar Tristar, with all it's goodies?
PS. Thanks for the insight.

Janine
06-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Is it the end of June yet? I'm tired of waiting.

*heaves a deep and weary sigh*

eightspokedb
06-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Okay - the countdown begins - 23 days....and 30 minutes....

Moose
06-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Anniegill, sounds like you have a full blown case of TBAS. I have found that if you take a deep breath, aquire copious amounts of chocolate and settle in with the TV remote you will make it through. Constant refreshing of the UPS tracking web page helps some too. :)

pegolas
06-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Seriously. I've been eyeing the Synapse 19, which I don't even need , but I just have the urge to get something new. The new stuff can't get here fast enough!!

scribe
06-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Seriously. I've been eyeing the Synapse 19, which I don't even need , but I just have the urge to get something new. The new stuff can't get here fast enough!!

I feel the same about the Co-Pilot, hence I've set myself a target of getting one in the exact colour I want (which isn't available right now). It worked with the Imago, so I'm just keeping my fingers firmly crossed - which makes it a lot harder to type my credit card number :)

Anniegill
06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Anniegill, sounds like you have a full blown case of TBAS. I have found that if you take a deep breath, aquire copious amounts of chocolate and settle in with the TV remote you will make it through. Constant refreshing of the UPS tracking web page helps some too. :)

Thanks Moose. I will do the dark chocolate I think! Only problem is that my Tristar ensemble will not even leave the gates until late June. So I refresh the product page hoping to see a change in the back order status. FULL BLOWN TBAS!! Yes. 😊. I think I will have to add to the order...as I say, " what's a girl to do!!??"

scribe
06-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Only problem is that my Tristar ensemble will not even leave the gates until late June. So I refresh the product page hoping to see a change in the back order status. FULL BLOWN TBAS!!

You might get lucky - one of my "late June" orders already shipped :)

Moosezilla
06-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Is it the end of June yet? The suspense is KILLING me! Must have A30!

Moose
06-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Thanks Moose. I will do the dark chocolate I think! Only problem is that my Tristar ensemble will not even leave the gates until late June. So I refresh the product page hoping to see a change in the back order status. FULL BLOWN TBAS!! Yes. ��. I think I will have to add to the order...as I say, " what's a girl to do!!??"

Yeah dark chocolate and adding to the order is the only fix I can see too. :)

WendyK
06-08-2014, 07:28 PM

Exactly!!!

eightspokedb
06-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Twenty one days and appx. 30 minutes....

Anniegill
06-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks scribe!
This is great news for you, and I hope a precursor of things to come, and to come early for me. Thanks for this news! I was torn when I no longer saw the Black/Solar Tristar listed as an option, but recalled seeing that Solar was dropped the interior color palette. I will sorely miss this gorgeous color! I will await the shipped email. Looking, looking, looking....

GoStanford
06-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Hoping that the upcoming summer solstice brings a product announcement...I really hope we have some new goodies to learn about soon!

pegolas
06-17-2014, 01:56 PM
WHERE IS ALL THE NEW STUFF ALREADY? OK. THANKS.

WendyK
06-23-2014, 01:17 PM
One more week (hopefully)! Counting down the days...

Pangifone
06-23-2014, 04:34 PM
Aubergine/Ultraviolet

Yes. This. Why isn't there more purple-on-purple action?

thorn
06-23-2014, 04:57 PM
Or a reversible purple and orange.

Vecturist
06-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Right now I am reminded of a TV ad that ran many years ago - basically a bunch of people standing outside a dept store chanting "Open, open, open," before one of their big sales.

Basically I feel like that - only I'm quietly chanting "New bags, new bags, new bags," every time I check this site.

Packbetter
06-24-2014, 12:47 AM
Jut to clarify on the 30 when you mention end of june is that expected to be preorder or in stock order and in either case what would you estimate would be the US delivery dates?

WendyK
06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Jut to clarify on the 30 when you mention end of june is that expected to be preorder or in stock order and in either case what would you estimate would be the US delivery dates?

Yes, we need to know. Please?

aquaris85
06-24-2014, 07:51 AM
This is my dream Aeronaut colour combination: Black/ Solar. It looks soo good.
*Picture credit to Peregrine*

eWalker
06-24-2014, 08:01 AM
I was born out of a 7 months pregnancy, so believe me, I am anxious since birth, BUT I must say that we must have patience!

The TB crew gave as a forward notice to help us decide on our buying decisions.

I postponed some of my decisions to wait for the new products. I count the days and check the site several times per day!

As much as I hate to wait, I am much grateful for the forward notice because I would hate much more to buy a product and find few weeks later that a new product had been debuted that was more adequate to my needs!

So I keep telling myself... Pretend is Christmas, pretend is Christmas! ! :)

pegolas
06-24-2014, 09:16 AM
This is my dream Aeronaut colour combination: Black/ Solar. It looks soo good.
*Picture credit to Peregrine*

Steelers luggage, FTW.

Packbetter
06-24-2014, 05:50 PM
I'm not impatient just trying to understand availability as I consider bags for the new TSA rules that will meet my needs!

eWalker
06-25-2014, 03:39 PM
I am trying to sing this song making the count down using TB bags and pouches!! Kind of the twelve bags of Christmas! !

The Twelve Days of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
2 Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fourth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the fifth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the sixth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the seventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the eighth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the ninth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
9 Ladies Dancing
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the tenth day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
10 Lords a Leaping
9 Ladies Dancing
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the eleventh day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
11 Pipers Piping
10 Lords a Leaping
9 Ladies Dancing
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
12 Drummers Drumming
11 Pipers Piping
10 Lords a Leaping
9 Ladies Dancing
8 Maids a Milking
7 Swans a Swimming
6 Geese a Laying
5 Golden Rings
4 Calling Birds
3 French Hens
2 Turtle Doves

Packbetter
06-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Based on the lack of updated info and the Pythagorean Theorem as reinterpreted by the followers of Aristottle and influenced by the theory of relativity I predict the forthcoming update due in a week or so will be for preorders of A30 with delivery no sooner than mid August 2014!

heparker
06-25-2014, 07:38 PM
Based on the lack of updated info and the Pythagorean Theorem as reinterpreted by the followers of Aristottle and influenced by the theory of relativity I predict the forthcoming update due in a week or so will be for preorders of A30 with delivery no sooner than mid August 2014!

OH, NO! Darcy liked your prediction...Which maybe is, OH GOOD!

Note to self, set ALL reminder apps to June 30th

K9TB
06-26-2014, 01:27 AM
Ok, eWalker, here you go. I'll cut right to the chase...

(Sung to the tune of the Twelve Days of Christmas)

On the last day of Ju-une, my true love sent to me

12 Tom Bihn Key Straps
11 Travel Stuff Sacks
10 Synapse Backpacks
9 Passport Pouches
8 Camo Brain Bags
7 Western Flyers
6 Nordic Shop Bags
5 Cafe Bags
4 More Side Effects
3 Travel Trays
2 Aeronauts
and a Photo for the Forum!

icebeng
06-26-2014, 01:56 AM

12 Tom Bihn Key Straps
11 Travel Stuff Sacks
10 Synapse Backpacks
9 Passport Pouches
8 Camo Brain Bags
7 Western Flyers
6 Nordic Shop Bags
5 Cafe Bags
4 More Side Effects
3 Travel Trays
2 Aeronauts

Regarding that photo for the forum, I'm assuming you'll have a dedicated room in your home to display all those bags???
Can we have that photo please?
I'm really keen to see a whole wall of Synapses! ^.^

eWalker
06-26-2014, 05:49 AM

12 Tom Bihn Key Straps
11 Travel Stuff Sacks
10 Synapse Backpacks
9 Passport Pouches
8 Camo Brain Bags
7 Western Flyers
6 Nordic Shop Bags
5 Cafe Bags
4 More Side Effects
3 Travel Trays
2 Aeronauts
LOL That is what I was trying to do but I can't think straight anymore!!

Packbetter
06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
It's likely because she has a good sense of humor on the one hand and that my prediction is off by a country mile on the other!

icebeng
06-26-2014, 11:32 PM
It's likely because she has a good sense of humor on the one hand and that my prediction is off by a country mile on the other!

I prefer to imagine that she's gleefully rubbing her hands together and thinking "Mid August? We're going to blow your expectations out of the water! They'll ALL be ready to ship immediately! Mua ha ha ha ha!"

Ok, maybe not the "Mua ha ha ha ha!" part lol

GoStanford
06-26-2014, 11:40 PM
I prefer to imagine that she's gleefully rubbing her hands together and thinking "Mid August? We're going to blow your expectations out of the water! They'll ALL be ready to ship immediately! Mua ha ha ha ha!"

Ok, maybe not the "Mua ha ha ha ha!" part lol

We're so close now...I'm hoping that the famous TB get-it-done-early success applies to the new products - or at least the announcement. Especially because June 30 is a work day and I would really like to have some time on the computer to browse through things! I've been adding items to my wish list and nearly placing more orders, but at this point, I've got to wait it out.

aquaris85
06-27-2014, 01:23 AM
Oh man, light bulb moment! I can start adding stuff to the wishlist in preparation! Thanks GoStanford!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

scribe
06-27-2014, 02:31 AM
Yup, I'm adding things to my wishlist that aren't big enough to be worth an order right away (not with international shipping being what it is) but will make a nice addition to my next bag order :)

kellie16
06-27-2014, 02:33 AM
So excited to read this thread! I haven't ventured into the luggage side of TB before but am looking to go carry-on only for a couple of trips in the next 12 months, so have been checking out the Aeronaut. Decided it was probably just a little too big for my needs (and non-US cabin sizes). but oh the A30! This could be just the ticket!

Robert
06-29-2014, 06:28 AM
One more day before the big announcement. Right?

Neighbor
06-29-2014, 07:34 AM
It may be the longest day ever...

meekasmom
06-29-2014, 07:50 AM
so what time tomorrow?

sturbridge
06-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Darcy said after 1pm Pacific time. So as far as I'm concerned (east coast) it might as well be Tuesday. :(

Packbetter
06-29-2014, 02:17 PM
I think their will be an announcement of some kind tomorrow but because delays can happen for a variety of reasons particularly at a company known to be meticulous about it's design and production! So while tomorrow the bag could make it's debut it could also be about another future estimated date. The good news is that TB's reputation is: getting it right trumps getting it out! So have a cup of some really good coffee and some spicy baked tofu and relax and or do a painting! All will be well in the village!

luvdabags
06-29-2014, 02:20 PM
I think their will be an announcement of some kind tomorrow but because delays can happen for a variety of reasons particularly at a company known to be meticulous about it's design and production! So while tomorrow the bag could make it's debut it could also be about another future estimated date. The good news is that TB's reputation is: getting it right trumps getting it out! So have a cup of some really good coffee and some spicy baked tofu and relax and or do a painting! All will be well in the village!

Sorry, Packbetter. You are far too zen to post on this thread. Only those who are refreshing the page hourly are permitted.

Packbetter
06-29-2014, 03:08 PM
◉‿◉ Good one! It was more like a zen moment!

Can you solve this for A 30?

So let's put that energy to work! Assuming no laptop or water bottle could Bihneries make the A30 work as a bag for every type of trip!
Rule of 3's etc casual quick dry clothing including cold weather trip and plus a men's suit 2 dress shirts and pair of shoes! C'mon super packers! One Bag A30 solution not two!

I do know about the option of ordering a bag trying it out and returning it if it doesn't work but it's not my preferred option! I prefer cubes over compression bags! Don't think the specter folders are that great!

I'm thinking specter compression cubes and bundle wrapping as part of the solution!

Has any one found larger than big specter compression cubes that are good quality! Those others I read about seem to be very poor quality! Lot's of negative reviews!

reeder
06-29-2014, 11:21 PM
Has any one found larger than big specter compression cubes that are good quality! Those others I read about seem to be very poor quality! Lot's of negative reviews!

REI has some new cubes out. They have a larger height dimension making for more of a cube/box than a lumpy pillow like the Eagle Creek Specter.

The funny thing is they call it an expandable cube which I just noticed when searching for them. I've seen them once in store and totally thought they were compressible cubes (not expansion) with a wide gusset since they have mesh tops and sides. The main opening is on three sides which I find much easier to live out of than the partial 1/2 zip on the Specter.
Results for "REI expandable packing cube" at REI (http://www.rei.com/search?query=REI+expandable+packing+cube)

Packbetter
06-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for your reply! I had seen those on the REI website but since it referred to expansion and not contraction I kind of glossed over those, but now I wonder whether I could stack a cube at it's expanded hight and then zip it back to original size!
I think I will call REI tomorrow and see what they say! You raise an interesting point!

Holly
06-30-2014, 01:55 PM
New Aeronaut photo stream on the Aeronaut 45 section!

Da5Id
06-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Aeronaut 30 is here!

Vecturist
06-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Love the video - is it scary I recognize where it was shot in the Seattle airport as well as knowing that's a Q400 plane?

thehoax
06-30-2014, 02:12 PM
1800 Cubic inches

Moosezilla
06-30-2014, 02:22 PM
ERMAHGERD. ERMAHGERDERMAHGERDERMAHGERD. All of my dreams have come true! Already placed my order for my steel/wasabi A30 and 2 of the cutesie little Q-Kits!

Sarha
06-30-2014, 02:27 PM
It seems that the smaller Aeronaut is more expensive than the larger original; is it a typo or am I misunderstanding?

jangle
06-30-2014, 02:29 PM
what color is coyote?

thorn
06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
what color is coyote?

Looks to be khaki.

ceepee
06-30-2014, 02:39 PM
It seems that the smaller Aeronaut is more expensive than the larger original; is it a typo or am I misunderstanding?

Its probably because there's more work involved in sewing them, e.g. adding extra zips so you can customise the interior: "The panels dividing the end compartments from the main compartment of the bag unzip — another versatile feature allowing you to customize the Aeronaut 30 to your needs."

Sarha
06-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Its probably because there's more work involved in sewing them, e.g. adding extra zips so you can customise the interior: "The panels dividing the end compartments from the main compartment of the bag unzip — another versatile feature allowing you to customize the Aeronaut 30 to your needs."

Ahhh, that makes sense.

WendyK
06-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I'd love to see a photo of the two Aeronauts together for comparison purposes, and also one of the new Aeronaut beside the Tri Star.

hamiltee
06-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Anyone know why the A30 large packing cube has the dimensions 13.4" x 13.4" x 5.5" when the bag itself is 19.7" x 12.6" x 7.9"? Seems like the cube would be too wide.

markwill
06-30-2014, 02:46 PM

When I visited the Seattle store about a month ago, I was gently urged to consider purchasing an Aeronaut at that time, which I did, because a new one (the Aeronaut 30) was on its way and the price of the Aeronaut (45) would be going up at that time, to $280. I assume the design of the Aeronaut 30 was well understood when that statement was made.

I should add that, although not totally decisive, that was a factor in my deciding to purchase at that time.

Mark

eWalker
06-30-2014, 02:50 PM
The price of its bigger brother is going to be raised. Same thing happened to the Co-pilot when Pilot was launched.

Frank II
06-30-2014, 02:51 PM
My review of the Aeronaut 30 is up:

Gear Review: Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 | One Bag, One World (http://1bag1world.com/2014/06/gear-review-tom-bihn-aeronaut-30/)

Hawaii
06-30-2014, 02:59 PM
HELP! Do I want a black dyneema a30. Or aubergine?

Any opinion on dyneema vs ballistic?

thorn
06-30-2014, 03:02 PM

You want colors.

Ilkyway
06-30-2014, 03:11 PM
I am with thorn on the color-question. I do not know if you have any Auergine jet but the color is gourges. And if you are not wearing reds and oranges all day long this aubergine goes with many colors and looks classy while doing so.

moriond
06-30-2014, 03:12 PM
My review of the Aeronaut 30 is up:

Gear Review: Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 | One Bag, One World (http://1bag1world.com/2014/06/gear-review-tom-bihn-aeronaut-30/)

@Frank II I liked your inclusion in the list of reasons to get the Aeronaut 30 "–you just have to buy it because one of the color choices is Aubergine."

@WendyK Frank's review addresses your question:

I'd love to see a photo of the two Aeronauts together for comparison purposes,

By the way, in the Starting up the 24-hour countdow (http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/7854-starting-up-24-hour-countdown-clock-12.html)n thread, @Tizi wrote:

Pulled the trigger on the duffle and a q-kit. Sweet. Aeronaut 30 is similar in size to my Tri Star, can't justify that purchase...yet. ;)

I've found that getting exactly the right size bag for your usage option can make a bigger difference than you think. I have the original Aeronaut, but transitioned to mainly using the Tri-Star. Part of the reason is the organization options for the central compartment, and part of this is due to the shorter/more compliant size. Reasons that I've been looking to try out a smaller Aeronaut, is that I want a bag that complies with regional and some more stringent international airline sizes, but that the Aeronaut design also has a lower weight/per volume than the Tri-Star (because of the single compartment design). With tablet and smaller laptop options, it's possible to travel without the need for the central compartment in some instances, but I still might need a size between Western Flyer and Tri-Star. The Western Flyer is great if you can mainly flat-pack items like clothing, but I end up needing to carry some items that aren't sized for flat-packing. Just my thoughts YMMV.

moriond
06-30-2014, 03:16 PM

I went with Aubergine Ballistic Nylon over Black Dyneema on this. I do like Black Dyneema, and if I were getting an A45 I would totally get it in Black Dyneema/Wasabi. I should also add that after doing a bag swap with @Moosezilla so that I have a Nordic Dyneema Western Flyer, I think that is more awesome than I would have guessed from reading the product descriptions and user reviews.

But I still opted to get the Aubergine A30. Just my opinion here.

moriond

GoStanford
06-30-2014, 03:23 PM

Same dilemma but on the NFTD. Black dyneema is stylish, pliable, beautiful to look at, and just that much lighter. But aubergine is AUBERGINE!

luvdabags
06-30-2014, 03:34 PM
aubergine for the win!

Hawaii
06-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I have thw WF in aubergine/steel. I never wear orange, and very rarely red! I am more of a blue/ purple/ gray/black person

Ilkyway
06-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Their you go Hawaii. Than aubergine sounds good. You have a travel-set growing there. Just my 2 cents but I am an aubergine-fan.

Hawaii
06-30-2014, 03:42 PM
Now if the a30 was in Nordic !! That is my favorite. Just trying to decide if the lighter weight of dyneema vs probably more sturdy ballistic...

Emily Shor
06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
I don't quite get this:

To make it smaller but still allow full-sized folks to carry it, we had to change the way the bag went together: the padded back panel under which the backpack straps hide is actually a bit longer/taller than on the Aeronaut 45. The gist is that you needn't be 20% shorter to wear the Aeronaut 30. In other words: if the Aeronaut 45 is a good fit for you, the Aeronaut 30 will be as well.
The A30 is over two inches shorter than the A45, so is it just that the difference in length comes from other parts of the bag? From the end pockets, maybe?

I found the A45 too long for my back - even though I'm 5'8" - and was torn over waiting for the A30 because I like the duffle design, but it may well be that ordering the Tristar was the right choice for me.

autolycus
06-30-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't quite get this:

The A30 is over two inches shorter than the A45, so is it just that the difference in length comes from other parts of the bag? From the end pockets, maybe?
If you look at the side shots of the two bags, you'll see that the A45's backpack straps and padded panel are entirely within the center main pocket's footprint. The end pockets are constructed like separate pockets that were added to the end. The A30's backpack straps and padded panel run the entire length and width of the bag. The end pockets are more like cutouts from a single large bag.

An interesting side effect of that is the way the attachment points for the shoulder strap are oriented. In the A45, they are oriented perpendicular to the main carry handle because they are attached to the seam between main pocket and end pocket. On the A30, they are oriented at an angle closer to parallel to the main handle because they're attached to the seam between the bottom of the bag and the top of the bag.

All "top", "bottom", and "side" are intended to be interpreted as relative to the bag placed down for packing with the zippered main pocket facing up.

moriond
06-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Now if the a30 was in Nordic !! That is my favorite. Just trying to decide if the lighter weight of dyneema vs probably more sturdy ballistic...
Either of these decisions (Black Dyneema/Wasabi or Aubergine Ballistic A30) will probably work for you, but I agree that if Nordic were offered I would choose that. And the lighter weight could be enough to sway the decision to Black Dyneema for you. I normally carry the Tri-Star (Indigo Ballisitic Nylon, 3 lb 6 oz), so either of the A30 weights will be less than this. The difference between the weights of the A30 in Ballistic Nylon (2 lbs, 14 oz) and Dyneema (2 lbs, 5.6 oz / 1066 grams) is close to the difference between the weights of the Ballistic Nylon (2 lb 10 oz / 1200 grams) and Dyneema (2 lb 3 oz / 985 grams) versions of the Western Flyer, but remember you will also be carrying more (30 l vs. 26 l).

It's easier for me to judge the weight difference/advantage in terms of what I can carry because when I go down in volume (33 l to 30 l), I'll be carrying less, and also carrying a lighter bag. For the A45, I'd probably be more comfortable with the Black Dyneema option, although I have one in Crimson Ballistic Nylon (purchased way before Dyneema was an option). You just have to figure out the weight point where making this selection is comfortable for you.

I think that each of the 400d Dyneema colors has its own attractions. For the Nordic Dyneema, it's the way that the color of the Nordic threads combine with the silvery sheen of the 400d weave and white strands to change under different lighting conditions. These subtle color textures are particularly noticeable against other colors (which is why some people first became fans of this color seen against Solar, I think). Steel has a soft sheen that works well especially against the palette of gray tone colors (Aubergine, Navy, Storm, Steel) and other neutrals (looks great against Cayenne). Black Dyneema works differently for me: in travel bags like the Pilot and others where there is a basic rectangular design to the shape, this fabric makes me feel as though a designer chose or developed it as part of the integral design motif for the bag. It also beautifully brings out saturated colors (as well as going with my favorite Hemp Little Swift!).

I don't think you can go wrong with your decision. I am still curious about whether we'll see another great 400d Dyneema color down the line, although that may not happen until much later in the year.

HTH moriond.

kolepard
07-01-2014, 08:23 AM
I was really excited about this bag, but the color choices sure are a disappointment, just Black, Aubergine, Steel, and Coyote? And there still aren't any high visibility interior colors like Solar back yet. Sad.

thorn
07-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I think they could offer more preferences by pre-cutting the pieces of all colors into ziplocks. Then sew the outside color preference with inside dyneema preference as they get ordered. This reduces the change of certain color combinations sitting in stock that never get ordered.

PaulT00
07-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I was really excited about this bag, but the color choices sure are a disappointment, just Black, Aubergine, Steel, and Coyote? And there still aren't any high visibility interior colors like Solar back yet. Sad.

This, sadly, reflects a general slimming down in the number of colours available for the Ballistic Nylon bags, and the retirement of all but the black option in the heavier Dyneema/Nylon fabric. Solar is of course also retiring (for the second time!), notionally having been replaced by Wasabi as a high visibility interior colour, so I imagine an A30 with a solar lining is unlikely ever to happen unless Solar gets another last-minute reprieve or is resurrected at some time in the future...

The only colour combo I really like in the A30 at the moment is the Aubergine/Wasabi. So much so that my mouse keeps lurking around the 'add to basket' button!

thorn
07-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Aubergine/Wasabi doesn't work for me. <sigh>

Packbetter
07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
I too was puzzled that a brand new bag has a limited selection of colors!
One other question is whether the checkered pattern of all dynemas is a structural requirement or aesthetic decision?
Otherwise why no solid colored exterior dynemas to choose from?

Frank II
07-01-2014, 06:26 PM
I too was puzzled that a brand new bag has a limited selection of colors!
One other question is whether the checkered pattern of all dynemas is a structural requirement or aesthetic decision?
Otherwise why no solid colored exterior dynemas to choose from?

The dyneema used in Tom Bihn bags is actually a woven pattern of 400d dyneema and 420d ripstop nylon. Dyneema material can't accept dye so it remains its natural white color. The ripstop nylon accepts dye so you get the diamond/checkerboard pattern. It's sewn together in that pattern for maximum strength and abrasion resistance. That's why TB bags made of dyneema are never solid colors.

malamalama
07-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Now if the a30 was in Nordic !!

Agreed. Most of my recent bag purchases have been brighter colors. Blue, red, green, orange, etc.

Packbetter
07-02-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the info that clarifies the reason for checkerboard. I will look for a video showing how that is done.

backpack
07-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Besides what Moriond says, one of the key factor of choosing between Travel Dyneema and Ballistic is the airlines you normally fly.

Do you usually fly with airlines that weight bags? If you do, there is a significant difference between the weight of each bag, when every gram count

Carrying the same bag in the two different fabrics is not that significant if most of your trips are the airport, hotel, meeting/conference, hotel, airport type with a taxi or a rental car.

If your itinerary includes a mix of wardrobes: business, business casual, casual and resort wear and many destinations, Dyneema will work in your advantage, by allowing you to take more things.

However, Ballistic is ultra gorgeous and business like, and not a concern, weight wise, if you get business class/frequent flyer perks.

But if you are in the tech industry, want to take public transports and, use some time for your trip to sightsee or live like the locals, Dyneema is best.

Many countries have narrow streets and stairways on steep inclines.
Indoor stairwells are very narrow unless the houses are Victorian or Edwardian mansions or apartments built as lofts in former factories.

Another vote for Dyneema are very inefficient airports, where the trek, from the counter, then the various checkpoints, to the gate is a sure way to melt, all the local gourmet food, ingested during the trip.

But Ballistic is best if one is forced to gate check or just too tired to make the huge airport trek with a full bag after very intense meetings or too much of la dolce vita or mountain adventures or a very enthusiast country beer, sake or wine tour.

SaddleSC
07-03-2014, 09:34 AM
It looks like the shipment dates for all versions of the A30 in Black ballistic are already into the second production run shipping in late September. Luckily, I placed my order two days ago when all color options were showing mid-August. So, informally, it appears that black is the most popular exterior color so far:)

I am so excited!

Hawaii
07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Besides what Moriond says, one of the key factor of choosing between Travel Dyneema and Ballistic is the airlines you normally fly.

Do you usually fly with airlines that weight bags? If you do, there is a significant difference between the weight of each bag, when every gram count

Carrying the same bag in the two different fabrics is not that significant if most of your trips are the airport, hotel, meeting/conference, hotel, airport type with a taxi or a rental car.

If your itinerary includes a mix of wardrobes: business, business casual, casual and resort wear and many destinations, Dyneema will work in your advantage, by allowing you to take more things.

However, Ballistic is ultra gorgeous and business like, and not a concern, weight wise, if you get business class/frequent flyer perks.

But if you are in the tech industry, want to take public transports and, use some time for your trip to sightsee or live like the locals, Dyneema is best.

Many countries have narrow streets and stairways on steep inclines.
Indoor stairwells are very narrow unless the houses are Victorian or Edwardian mansions or apartments built as lofts in former factories.

Another vote for Dyneema are very inefficient airports, where the trek, from the counter, then the various checkpoints, to the gate is a sure way to melt, all the local gourmet food, ingested during the trip.

But Ballistic is best if one is forced to gate check or just too tired to make the huge airport trek with a full bag after very intense meetings or too much of la dolce vita or mountain adventures or a very enthusiast country beer, sake or wine tour.

Dear backpack-
Thanks for your detailed analysis. I already pulled the trigger on aubergine before you posted this, but still wonder about dyneema. IF dyneema had been available in some other color combo, I probably would have taken that. will wait and see if I decide the aubergine bag is too heavy.
Although I usually fly united(business), also usually check a 22inch rolling suitcase. Last trip included cruise (formal nights), european capitals so also took WF and CP as my carry-on pieces.
I am buying this bag more for weekend car trips, or car trips to the Sierras. Not sure if I would actually take it on a plane trip, since I am old enough that walking with a backpack through the airport is not my preference. (And DH has a bad back)

SaddleSC
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Just FYI, I ordered a Ballistic A30 for myself and a Dyeema A30 for my wife and I will be sure to test pack, weigh and write a brief summary comparing and contrasting both when they arrive. I have the Smart Alec in both Ballistic and Dyneema and I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

thorn
07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Do the posted weights include the shoulder strap?

itsablur
07-03-2014, 02:13 PM
Do the posted weights include the shoulder strap?
The Absolute strap is an optional accessory, so I don't believe they include that in the weight. I recall verifying the weight of my A45 when I first got it, and pretty certain it was the same or very close to the listed weight without the strap (that scrap of paper is at home sadly, so I can't reference my measurements here).

The Absolute strap has some heft to it on its own, but when in use seems to do a rather magical job of making a heavy bag feel lighter than it really is.

Packbetter
07-03-2014, 02:26 PM
That was a really helpful analysis! I had thought that the benefit of dynema was strictly about it being lighter! But your post seems to suggest that dynema has more "give" which allows more flexibility in placement of items and amount! I will be interested to see packing videos of the A30 for a week long trip!

Packbetter
07-03-2014, 02:40 PM
What I am learning about the forgiving characteristic of dynema leads me to wonder if a dynema A30 would hold as much as a balistic tri star!
Also as colors go a blue and solar combo would be what I would find attractive!

backpack
07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
Dear backpack-
Thanks for your detailed analysis. I already pulled the trigger on aubergine before you posted this, but still wonder about dyneema. IF dyneema had been available in some other color combo, I probably would have taken that. will wait and see if I decide the aubergine bag is too heavy.
Although I usually fly united(business), also usually check a 22inch rolling suitcase. Last trip included cruise (formal nights), european capitals so also took WF and CP as my carry-on pieces.
I am buying this bag more for weekend car trips, or car trips to the Sierras. Not sure if I would actually take it on a plane trip, since I am old enough that walking with a backpack through the airport is not my preference. (And DH has a bad back)

In that case, it is the perfect choice!

tpnl
07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
First Aeronaut 30 review I have seen:

Cheers!

itsablur
07-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Black/Wasabi and Black/Steel now appear listed as in stock. That's a lot sooner than the Late September pre-order text that was there for the last few days. Great job TB Crew!

WendyK
07-17-2014, 02:33 PM
Coyote sure didn't last long! Fingers still crossed that Aubergine/wasabi is next.

bchaplin
07-20-2014, 06:16 AM
I ordered the A30 in black dyneema but am really second-guessing my choice. The accessory items I am likely to carry with it (Synapse 19 or Pilot) are also dyneema, one of them black, and I really don't like the matchy-matchy look. Also I really prefer the look of solid colors. My only concern is the weight, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make once the bag is fully packed...

taminca
07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Black/Wasabi and Black/Steel now appear listed as in stock. That's a lot sooner than the Late September pre-order text that was there for the last few days. Great job TB Crew!

Someone needs to stop me. My Aubergine love is without equal BUT the thought of having an A30 for my upcoming trip is tempting me beyond belief to order a Black/Wasabi NOW!!! You really cannot go wrong with classic Black. And Wasabi is my favorite interior color. Argh!

ncb4
07-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Someone needs to stop me. My Aubergine love is without equal BUT the thought of having an A30 for my upcoming trip is tempting me beyond belief to order a Black/Wasabi NOW!!! You really cannot go wrong with classic Black. And Wasabi is my favorite interior color. Argh!

As someone who shares your consuming love for Aubergine, @taminca, I'll try to stop you. I once succumbed to the lust for an Aeronaut [A45] when it wasn't available in Aubergine by ordering one in Navy/Solar instead. And as lovely as it was, my heart wasn't satisfied. I returned it, and later bought the Aubergine I truly wanted all along—and I don't regret doing that for an instant. So hold out if you can!

But I'm the wrong person to try and talk you out of ordering an A30. I'm trying feebly to convince myself that I don't need an Aubergine A30 to go along with my Aubergine A45: and the Aubergine Night Flight I just ordered. Will I hold out? If past history repeats itself, the answer is a big fat NO! :o

~Nancy

PS Let us know what you decide.

taminca
07-20-2014, 09:07 AM
As someone who shares your consuming love for Aubergine, @taminca, I'll try to stop you. I once succumbed to the lust for an Aeronaut [A45] when it wasn't available in Aubergine by ordering one in Navy/Solar instead. And as lovely as it was, my heart wasn't satisfied. I returned it, and later bought the Aubergine I truly wanted all along—and I don't regret doing that for an instant. So hold out if you can!

But I'm the wrong person to try and talk you out of ordering an A30. I'm trying feebly to convince myself that I don't need an Aubergine A30 to go along with my Aubergine A45: and the Aubergine Night Flight I just ordered. Will I hold out? If past history repeats itself, the answer is a big fat NO! :o

~Nancy

Thanks, Nancy. I think I may be safe since the Black/Wasabi A30 seems to no longer be in stock -- the website has it as on backorder til late September. Phew! I came really, really close :)

haraya
07-20-2014, 09:15 AM
What is your track record with Black? Do you have other bags in Black that you consistently use? I know when I buy a "second-best" color, having missed out on the color I really want, I actually don't use the thing all that much. (Thinking of a lovely yellow purse that I have, which rarely if ever leaves my house.)

(Knowing of your amazing collection of Tom Bihn, I would think having an A30 for your upcoming trip is a lower-level consideration, since you have other bags that you can use till Aubergine is available. :))

...oops, and actually, just looking at the site now, everything is again on pre-order or back order. Boy, those A30s are like hotcakes! Taminca, I hope you get/got whichever bag makes your heart sing! :)

WendyK
07-20-2014, 09:48 AM
I agree, don't settle for a second best colour. I did that with my side effect and don't use it as much as I should.

taminca
07-20-2014, 10:08 AM
I agree, don't settle for a second best colour. I did that with my side effect and don't use it as much as I should.

Knowing of your amazing collection of Tom Bihn, I would think having an A30 for your upcoming trip is a lower-level consideration, since you have other bags that you can use till Aubergine is available. :)

...oops, and actually, just looking at the site now, everything is again on pre-order or back order. Boy, those A30s are like hotcakes! Taminca, I hope you get/got whichever bag makes your heart sing! :)

You are so right, @haraya and @WendyK. Thanks! And thanks also to everyone who purchased Black/Wasabi A30s during the short window that they were in stock online -- you helped me stay true to my Aubergine love! :)

itsablur
07-20-2014, 10:34 AM
I ordered the A30 in black dyneema but am really second-guessing my choice. The accessory items I am likely to carry with it (Synapse 19 or Pilot) are also dyneema, one of them black, and I really don't like the matchy-matchy look. Also I really prefer the look of solid colors. My only concern is the weight, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make once the bag is fully packed...

The difference is about half a pound. Depending on how much you normally pack, that may or may not be noticeable. Its basically an extra merino shirt (or two if you are petit).

NWhikergal
07-20-2014, 10:45 AM
@taminca, maybe you should consider packing an empty second large duffel when you come for your Seattle visit...just in case you need to transport some extra items back home. :) I think the black A30 was still listed as backordered till late Sept when they completed some of them, so you never know how soon items will be ready, given the superhuman efficiency of the TB production.

taminca
07-20-2014, 11:06 AM
@taminca, maybe you should consider packing an empty second large duffel when you come for your Seattle visit...just in case you need to transport some extra items back home. :)

I did not see this post. Not one inkling of any thought about bringing an empty duffel. Nope. Nada. Zilch. No way. Excuse me while I check my duffle inventory -- just for harmless organizational purposes, you understand.

jannilee
07-20-2014, 12:14 PM
But on the other hand... If you don't have a extra duffle you just might have to buy something (aeronaut anyone?) to carry all the other stuff in... Bwahaha!