PDA

View Full Version : New packing cube shoulder bags

bchaplin
05-05-2014, 06:36 PM
Just got my nordic and black packing cube shoulder bags, made out of the thicker-weight dyneema. I like them quite a bit. This picture may not be the best reproduction of the colors, but I will try to do one in natural light later. From the top down: UV (200D, which I already owned), and nordic and black (both 400D, new).

I have always liked these cubes for packing, because the colors are helpful in differentiating one from another. However, I never really used it as a shoulder bag. I could see doing this with the black or nordic, though. They have a tiny bit more structure and I like the look!

trailmix
05-05-2014, 06:42 PM
question: how do you get the 400d ones? ways this a pre-order thing before i got interested in TB? there doesn't seem to be anything on the website about it.

bchaplin
05-05-2014, 06:50 PM
They may be gone now. I believe this was a temporary run (http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/7419-were-temporarily-out-steel-wasabi-iberian-200d-dyneema-nylon.html).

edit: Actually, they still seem to be in stock!
http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0921.html
Perhaps they are not labeled that way, but the Nordic and Black ones should be 400d.

trailmix
05-05-2014, 06:55 PM
darn, was afraid of that

bchaplin
05-05-2014, 06:58 PM
I just edited my post -- I believe they are actually still available.

trailmix
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
oh, i hope that is the case. thanks.

scribe
05-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Nice! I have a black one in the order that's slowly wending its way from Seattle to the UK via USPS, so it should be here in about a week's time. I'm thinking it will make an ideal seat-back bag for my upcoming long-haul flight - not too big and not too small.

Moosezilla
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I just noticed that the PCSB page no longer has options for Nordic or Black dyneema! I'm sure glad that I pre ordered the Nordic one! Also glad I got paranoid and ordered the Black a few days ago...whew...crisis averted!!

trailmix
05-07-2014, 12:12 PM
well dang, suppose i procrastinated too long.

eWalker
05-07-2014, 12:31 PM

I made the same mistake... : (

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

Darcy
05-07-2014, 12:44 PM

Sorry: they went fast. :(

eWalker
05-07-2014, 12:45 PM
Sorry: they went fast. :(

Any chance to have another batch?

Darcy
05-07-2014, 01:12 PM

No… this was a one time thing. Because it's a Packing Cube, we think it makes more sense to make it out of the lighter 200d Dyneema/nylon in general. But, we knew, even considering that, that some folks would want Nordic or Black anyway, and with the great 2014 Dyneema/nylon shortage, thought we'd make a run of them just this one time. Maybe someday we'll make a 400d Dyneema/nylon messenger/shoulder bag.

eWalker
05-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Maybe someday we'll make a 400d Dyneema/nylon messenger/shoulder bag.

You are bad!! Since the wait for the smaller Aeronaut is coming to end you will start a new TB fever! ;)

moriond
05-07-2014, 02:52 PM

May I point out the the Packing Cube Backpacks in 400d Nordic Dyneema for the Aeronaut are still currently available for order, if you act now? That's probably because they are still listed on back order, and nobody has received and posted a picture yet. Usually, once you wait that long, a wave of orders immediately follows the posted picture, and that clears out the stock. The Nordic packing cube shoulder bags were still available for order for some hours after @bchaplin posted the product link in this thread.

I'm only mentioning this because that's the other item you expressed interest in. The PCBP in Nordic Dyneema for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer can also still currently be ordered.

HTH. moriond

bchaplin
05-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Sorry about that. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have said anything.

moriond
05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Sorry about that. Now I'm thinking I shouldn't have said anything.

@bchaplin I'm sure there are forum lurkers who you "enabled" by posting your information, and we all love seeing pictures of these bags! It's just that Nordic Dyneema products are very, very popular, so it doesn't take much for them to sell out.

Thanks for the pictures and the links.

moriond

Auntie Em
05-07-2014, 03:26 PM
You are bad!! Since the wait for the smaller Aeronaut is coming to end you will start a new TB fever! ;)

Uh, isn't that her job? ;)

And I must say, I will be in line to order a PCSB sized bag, lined, with pockets and o-rings, in just about any fabric.

Or two. Or ....

taminca
05-07-2014, 05:29 PM
May I point out the the Packing Cube Backpacks in 400d Nordic Dyneema for the Aeronaut are still currently available for order, if you act now? That's probably because they are still listed on back order, and nobody has received and posted a picture yet. Usually, once you wait that long, a wave of orders immediately follows the posted picture, and that clears out the stock.

I previously ordered a Black Aeronaut PCBP and a Nordic TS/WF PCBP, but @moriond's post (and Darcy's about the 400d Dyneema PCSBs being sold out) got me to thinking...

What if I end up liking one color more than the other and desperately wished I had a set of PCBPs in the same color? What if I some day buy another Aeronaut or TS or WF (never say never!) in a color combo that clashes with the PCBP I have in that size? What if I need a PCBP to hold my clothes being left in the hotel (or in the car) and need another for a day bag? What if this were my one and only chance and I miss out like I did with all those TB bags in Indigo and Cork, and the Imago, and the S19 in UV Dyneema? ARGH!!!!!

I caved and placed another order, this time for a Nordic Aeronaut PCBP and Black TS/WF PCBP.

So enabler points for @moriond even though this message (warning?) was not even intended for me.

bb93fo57
05-07-2014, 06:54 PM
Had been procrastinating about placing an order for a Black Dyneema PCSB for some time: finally did it this morning before leaving for work!

I assumed that it would take a week or two to be filled, since I also ordered a backordered item (listed as not available til late May) at the same time.

This thread had me wondering if I'd ever see that Black Dyneema PCSB, but looks like I squeaked in under the wire -- just received shipping confirmation for the whole enchilada.

Kudos to The Crew for once again exceeding expectations and shipping sooner than expected. :-)

kkintea
05-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Looks like the travel tray in nordic and black dyneema is sold out now too.

Lime
05-08-2014, 06:00 PM
You know what, I couldn't have been luckier with this Dyneema shortage. When I travelled last summer my Iberian PCSB became my everyday carry even though I had brought along my small café bag. It was light and able to carry a lot of stuff, ie lunch, snacks, maps and guidebooks, water bottle, camera, sunglasses, etc. It lacked structure though, so it was lumpy-looking and at times I was stabbed in the sides by pointier objects. When I got back home, I realized what would have been the perfect bag was a 400d dyneema PCSB. I didn't think it would happen but a year later, it did and I lucked out big time! I got my Nordic PCSB in the mail today and it is perfect!!! It's so solid and such a nice colour. It's just a shame that it's a once in a lifetime option. There needs to be more of these.

icebeng
05-08-2014, 07:16 PM
I previously ordered a Black Aeronaut PCBP and a Nordic TS/WF PCBP, but @moriond's post (and Darcy's about the 400d Dyneema PCSBs being sold out) got me to thinking...

What if I end up liking one color more than the other and desperately wished I had a set of PCBPs in the same color? What if I some day buy another Aeronaut or TS or WF (never say never!) in a color combo that clashes with the PCBP I have in that size? What if I need a PCBP to hold my clothes being left in the hotel (or in the car) and need another for a day bag? What if this were my one and only chance and I miss out like I did with all those TB bags in Indigo and Cork, and the Imago, and the S19 in UV Dyneema? ARGH!!!!!

I caved and placed another order, this time for a Nordic Aeronaut PCBP and Black TS/WF PCBP.

So enabler points for @moriond even though this message (warning?) was not even intended for me.

Why not do a little photo ops (like with the double organizer pouches) with the PCBPs once they arrive? If they all have different and dedicated purposes, then it wouldn't be classified as a "I caved in to enabling" purchase. Plus, we'll all get to see your awesome photos, so it'll be a win win situation for all.

zutphen
05-08-2014, 08:27 PM
It's just a shame that it's a once in a lifetime option. There needs to be more of these.

I'd like to think that this was a "throw it at the wall, see what sticks" moment for TB.

Sure, Darcy said (and I quote) that "[b]ecause it's a Packing Cube, we think it makes more sense to make it out of the lighter 200d Dyneema/nylon in general." Okay, sure. That makes sense. I get it. But. If they hear from enough of the few, the lucky few who fought with us on St Crispin's Day -- sorry, no, I mean -- if they hear from enough of the the lucky few with Black and/or Nordic PCSBs about how amazing they are: maybe, just maybe, they'll consider developing a light SCB-like satchel/shoulder bag. Combine with the recent demise of the Imago, and you can see where I'm going with this...

So. All of you who managed to get an order in for a 400d Dyneema PCSB, please: post repeatedly and with many exclamation points (oh and lots of pictures) how much you loveloveLOVE your delicious 400d PCSBs. Repeatedly. With pictures. Lots of pictures.

fdiaz64
05-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Just got my black Dyneema PCSB. It is pretty great. Really like the black. Made me want to replace my steel Dyneema LCB with a black one. It would be awesome to have a larger horizontal messenger bag or even a sling type bag in this fabric.

scribe
05-08-2014, 11:13 PM
So. All of you who managed to get an order in for a 400d Dyneema PCSB, please: post repeatedly and with many exclamation points (oh and lots of pictures) how much you loveloveLOVE your delicious 400d PCSBs. Repeatedly. With pictures. Lots of pictures.

Will do! I'm planning on using mine as a seat-back bag on my long haul flight to the US in July, as it will be plenty big enough for my iPad mini, snacks, flight kit etc. My plan is to stuff it into the main compartment of my Pilot (if the latter arrives in time), alongside a small packing cube, then swap it out with my SE for the flight. It may also end up being my EDC at the convention - my hotel is some way from the venue, so I'll need to carry more than I would if I were on-site.

scribe
05-09-2014, 06:12 AM
@zutphen It appears I can satisfy your wishes a lot sooner than expected - I got home this lunchtime to find a TB box on my doorstep! (Thank goodness I live in a low-crime area...)

I did a quick test pack to see what I could get into it. Answer: iPad mini in cache, flight kit (inflatable neck pillow, eye mask and ear plugs) in Travelon mini packing cube, Evernote Moleskine and a Kobo e-reader - and I still had loads of space!

This is going to help make the 8-hour flight go a lot more smoothly!

icebeng
05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Mine just arrived too!
These are my 1st PCSBs, I haven't handled any 200d PCSBs before, so I can't compare, but the floppiness which others have pointed out, does not seem to be a big problem here.
Now bear in mind that these are brand new and have not been broken in yet, so I have no idea what might happen as I use them.
But I put one side of the PCSB up on the side of the box to take the picture, there's nothing below the PCSB propping it up.
This might give you some insight about their structure (firmness)

I have a totally nooby question as well, the 200d Dyneema fabric has, how do I describe this, invisible lines running diagonally to the white Dyneema grid lines,but am I right to say the 400d Dyneema fabric does not have this characteristic?

Edit: to add that yes, I like my PCSBs, and if it helps, +1 vote to making these again so others can have a chance to see/use these great bags/cubes.

Ilkyway
05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
You are right there. The 400er does not have these lines. I think in the 200er they are used to make the material a bit more sturdy since they seem to bee sicker as the rest of the blue threads?

scribe
05-09-2014, 09:18 AM
I have a totally nooby question as well, the 200d Dyneema fabric has, how do I describe this, invisible lines running diagonally to the white Dyneema grid lines,but am I right to say the 400d Dyneema fabric does not have this characteristic?

I noticed that too! The 400d is a straightforward grid, like quadrille paper, whereas the 200d has the glossy diagonal lines creating a diamond pattern when it catches the light. Maybe, as Ilkyway says, it's to add strength in the lighter weight fabric?

icebeng
05-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Ah thanks, llkyway,
I've both types of Dyneema for about nearly 2 weeks, and despite handling them on a daily basis, I've only just noticed the difference!
In fact, if not for bchaplin's close up photo at the start of this thread, I probably wouldn't have looked closer.
Another thing is, I've also realized that 200d and 400d can be identified by touch alone.
Slow huh? But I think I just took my TB geekness to another level lol

@scribe
yeah, I agree that it's probably for strength, but it works great for aesthetic purposes too! ^.^

Though I'm wondering why the 400d doesn't have it, overkill perhaps? lol

moriond
05-09-2014, 10:50 AM
I noticed that too! The 400d is a straightforward grid, like quadrille paper, whereas the 200d has the glossy diagonal lines creating a diamond pattern when it catches the light. Maybe, as Ilkyway says, it's to add strength in the lighter weight fabric?

The earliest 200d Dyneema packing cubes that were made did not have those diamond textured lines, and the color for steel also shifted between tones as dark as black and lighter shades of steel gray. I have a set of Aeronaut packing cubes from their first production batch. The diamond pattern lines in the Dyneema products were added a short while later.

moriond

scribe
05-09-2014, 10:56 AM
@moriond I'd noticed that my steel packing cubes were a lot darker than most of the product photos - I wasn't sure if that was the lighting or not, as the other dyneema colours are richer "in the flesh" than in a photo.

moriond
05-09-2014, 11:00 AM
In fact, if not for bchaplin's close up photo at the start of this thread, I probably wouldn't have looked closer.
Another thing is, I've also realized that 200d and 400d can be identified by touch alone.
Slow huh? But I think I just took my TB geekness to another level lol

@icebeng I can tell the tactile difference between 400d Dyneema from the first Steel and Nordic releases of bags in that material and the batches currently being produced in terms of prominence of the grid pattern to the touch. It was noticeable that when the first batch of Black 400d Dyneema was released I couldn't feel this grid pattern on the surface, in distinct contrast to the 400d Steel and Nordic fabrics in their early batches. My old Aeronaut packing cubes look close to the current black Dyneema but feel as though they are about the weight if the 200d fabric-- maybe slightly heavier weight, but a smoother overall texture than the current 400d black, because you can't feel the texture of the larger fiber weave.

moriond
05-09-2014, 11:06 AM
@moriond I'd noticed that my steel packing cubes were a lot darker than most of the product photos - I wasn't sure if that was the lighting or not, as the other dyneema colours are richer "in the flesh" than in a photo.
@scribe I've noticed that the shade of steel has varied between different production batches over time. The current Steel, which I have just received for the Large and Small Shop Bags, is darker than the 400d Steel Dyneema used in my Synapse 25 (received in April 2012). it is also darker than most of my 200d Steel Dyneema accessories, and the Aeronaut Packing Cube BackPack from the first release if that product. You'd have to find a Steel aficionado like @kkintea who constantly buys Steel Dyneema products to keep track of these sorts of variations.

moriond

kkintea
05-09-2014, 11:25 AM
@scribe I've noticed that the shade of steel has varied between different production batches over time. The current Steel, which I have just received for the Large and Small Shop Bags, is darker than the 400d Steel Dyneema used in my Synapse 25 (received in April 2012). it is also darker than most of my 200d Steel Dyneema accessories, and the Aeronaut Packing Cube BackPack from the first release if that product. You'd have to find a Steel aficionado like @kkintea who constantly buys Steel Dyneema products to keep track of these sorts of variations.

moriond

I just took a look at my "oldest" steel dyneema, a shop bag circa 2009, and it does have the diamond pattern in it. I never noticed it before! I do have a lot of steel in general, but some of it is the 400d, which consistently appears darker to me.

moriond
05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
I just took a look at my "oldest" steel dyneema, a shop bag circa 2009, and it does have the diamond pattern in it. I never noticed it before! I do have a lot of steel in general, but some of it is the 400d, which consistently appears darker to me.
@kkintea I agree that the 400d Steel Dyneema is consistently darker than the 200d weight. And looking more closely, the color of steel on my Steel 400d Dyneema/wasabi Synapse 25 does seem consistent with the Steel of the new shop bags.

moriond
05-09-2014, 01:09 PM
You know what, I couldn't have been luckier with this Dyneema shortage. When I travelled last summer my Iberian PCSB became my everyday carry even though I had brought along my small café bag. It was light and able to carry a lot of stuff, ie lunch, snacks, maps and guidebooks, water bottle, camera, sunglasses, etc. It lacked structure though, so it was lumpy-looking and at times I was stabbed in the sides by pointier objects. When I got back home, I realized what would have been the perfect bag was a 400d dyneema PCSB. I didn't think it would happen but a year later, it did and I lucked out big time! I got my Nordic PCSB in the mail today and it is perfect!!! It's so solid and such a nice colour. It's just a shame that it's a once in a lifetime option. There needs to be more of these.
@Lime and others,
I also have the earlier PCSBs (one in steel from the original release, and a later one in Iberian). The 400d PCSBs that just arrived are the first ones that I've owned with o-Rings. But I have to say that it is the 400d weight that makes the biggest difference in the use of this product as a shoulder bag instead of a packing cube. You can read my August 2008 posted reply about this bag in the Convertible Packing Cube/Shoulder Bag (http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/1436-convertible-packing-cube-shoulder-bag.html) thread. There's quite a lot more in the post, but I'll excerpt a bit, that was written in reply to someone who was considering using this as his new EDC based on its description:

The main thing you might want to consider is what you plan to routinely carry in this bag. Because it is light-weight, flexible, and a good size (13.5" long), it's not going to hold its shape if you attach it to a strap while empty; and if there are only a few small, weighty objects in it the bag will sag. On the other hand, if you're carrying a light jacket, or maps in the outer zip pocket, this works well, and holds up in the rain. Apart from the zippered pocket outside, you don't get the same kind of organization you do with the Imago, and there are no o-rings inside. Structurally, again, this makes sense in view of the light-weight nature of the Dyneema fabric. Of course, you can use (unclipped) organizer pouches inside.

A few weeks ago, in the 3 weeks in the UK with my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7476-3-weeks-uk-my-packing-cube-shoulder-bag.html) thread, I posted:

@lacyfinn I'll see whether the 400d PCSB strikes a better balance for me than the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB. If you haven't tried the 400d Dyneema, for example, in the Shop Bags, the texture is slightly more fabric-like but there's still a pliability that I don't find in Parapack. The main issue for me with the 200d Dyneema in the PCSB is that if you're carrying something small and heavier, like a camera, and the rest of the bag is not carrying jackets etc. that fill it up, the PCSB will sag around that item, so it will work well if there are other items to fill out the bag and make it hold its shape, but won't work as well when it is nearly empty (except for those items).

From the experience of the Shop Bags, Side Effect, and Swift/Little Swift, I expect to find the 400d Dyneema PCSB will still conform to my body.

moriond

Just as @Lime stated, I feel that the 200d Dyneema shortage has resulted in a great option for the PCSB that I have wanted for a long time.

moriond

fdiaz64
05-09-2014, 08:38 PM
I screwed up. Just started packing for my trip on Tuesday and of course the first thing I packed was my black Dyneema PCSB. I should have bought 2 maybe 3 with 1 being for my wife. And a PCBP. Might be ordering a couple more soon as an early birthday present. Sad to see there won't be anymore 400d PCSB. They feel so substantial.

tpnl
05-10-2014, 12:10 AM

Good question. In another thread, moriond posted a link to the TB Introduction to 400d Dyneema

Introducing 400d Dyneema®/nylon - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/introducing-400d-dyneemanylon)

In it, there is a comment on the diamond pattern and why it is not on the 400d Dyneema version:

"Additionally, the new 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop is a plain weave and thus lacks the fancy diamond pattern of the 200d; we feel this makes for a more straightforward, subtle, and visually appealing exterior fabric"

The diamond pattern seems to be more about the look than any structural strengthening.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

P.S. TB Crew - I think it would be a great fit if the 400d Dyneema introduction link could be available from the Materials and Design part of your blog:

Materials and Design Archives - TOM BIHN Blog: We make travel bags in Seattle, Washington (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/category/materials-and-design)

Miking
05-10-2014, 04:30 AM
So I missed out on the special edition 400d black dyneema accessories :( , being busy and all, and who would have thought they would sell out quite so quickly. I will get over it I guess.... I JUST WISH THE 30' WIDE VIDEO SCREEN WOULD QUIT RUBBING IT IN MY FACE!!!

moriond
05-10-2014, 04:45 AM
So I missed out on the special edition 400d black dyneema accessories :( , being busy and all, and who would have thought they would sell out quite so quickly. I will get over it I guess.... I JUST WISH THE 30' WIDE VIDEO SCREEN WOULD QUIT RUBBING IT IN MY FACE!!!

@Miking. There's still the 400d Steel PCBP for either the Tri-Star/WF or the Aeronaut. And the 400d Steel is darker than the 200d Steel, if not quite as dark as the Black 400d Dyneema.

moriond

icebeng
05-10-2014, 05:21 AM
@Miking
That put a grin on my face :D
Think about it this way though, most of us buy TB gear to match our attire and working environment.
I do believe you have the 1st documented case of your work surroundings being set up to match your TB gear! ^.^

eWalker
05-10-2014, 02:58 PM
May I point out the the Packing Cube Backpacks in 400d Nordic Dyneema for the Aeronaut are still currently available for order, if you act now? That's probably because they are still listed on back order, and nobody has received and posted a picture yet. Usually, once you wait that long, a wave of orders immediately follows the posted picture, and that clears out the stock. The Nordic packing cube shoulder bags were still available for order for some hours after @bchaplin posted the product link in this thread.

I'm only mentioning this because that's the other item you expressed interest in. The PCBP in Nordic Dyneema for the Tri-Star/Western Flyer can also still currently be ordered.

HTH. moriond

Thanks a lot @moriond. I missed the chance on the shoulder bags (ended up buying six on 200 Dyneema) but got the "mega power ranger transformer" packing cube backpacks! ;)

icebeng
05-10-2014, 10:45 PM
In the midst of all the excitement on receiving my goodies, there is a small question I forgot to ask.
The webpage for the Packing Cube Shoulder bags state that "We don't include a shoulder strap with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag..."
But both my black and nordic PCSBs arrived with Simple Shoulder Straps installed! @scribe's photo shows one freshly out of the box with Strap installed too. Is the strap a gift from the TB crew?

moriond
05-10-2014, 10:54 PM
In the midst of all the excitement on receiving my goodies, there is a small question I forgot to ask.
The webpage for the Packing Cube Shoulder bags state that "We don't include a shoulder strap with the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag..."
But both my black and nordic PCSBs arrived with Simple Shoulder Straps installed! @scribe's photo shows one freshly out of the box with Strap installed too. Is the strap a gift from the TB crew?

Could have been an error in fulfilling the order (and @scribe might have ordered the PCSB with a Simple Shoulder Strap). I, on the other hand, received a shipment of a Pilot without a Simple Shoulder Strap (and I believe that is supposed to be included with the bag). I've also received some Side Effects without some of the cord pulls. I think these last few days have just been rather hectic for the Tom Bihn folks.

moriond

icebeng
05-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Could have been an error in fulfilling the order (and @scribe might have ordered the PCSB with a Simple Shoulder Strap). I, on the other hand, received a shipment of a Pilot without a Simple Shoulder Strap (and I believe that is supposed to be included with the bag). I've also received some Side Effects without some of the cord pulls. I think these last few days have just been rather hectic for the Tom Bihn folks.

moriond

Ah! Thanks for the clarification! I shall email them to find out, and see if I can pay for them if it was truly an error.

scribe
05-11-2014, 12:47 AM

Alas, no! I ordered a shoulder strap with my PCSB and they came already clipped together. Likewise the Knitting Tool Pouches I ordered with double carabiners came pre-clipped - I assume this is standard practice in the packing department, to prevent small items getting lost. A good thing too, as something (machinery? hellhounds?) had chewed a 2" hole in one corner of the TB box!

eWalker
05-12-2014, 08:09 PM
No… this was a one time thing. Because it's a Packing Cube, we think it makes more sense to make it out of the lighter 200d Dyneema/nylon in general.

@Darcy, and what if the final product is more then a packing cube?

Like what happened over time with Side Effect... I would love to have the shoulder bag with the organization of a Lead Pocket.

And judging from the given dimensions of Aeronaut 30 It would be a perfect fit as an end pocket organizer.

Just thinking...

Moosezilla
05-15-2014, 10:26 AM
I finally got my third and final PCSB in the mail yesterday, so I thought I'd share some pictures!

Here they are all together. Black, Steel, and Nordic!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/tu3u8ava.jpg

Here's a mega close up of the different fabrics.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/me2urumu.jpg

The black and steel colors are pretty similar, I think but they definitely look different when held up in sunlight!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/8edy6uza.jpg

Aaaannnndddd just because I love you guys and gals, here's a bonus shot of my SA when I went hiking the other day!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/16/8a9e3uqy.jpg

I think I may go order an Iberian PCSB now...

Rocks
05-15-2014, 11:02 AM
Moosezilla gets enabler points. I just squeaked in under the price increase wire and ordered a wasabi PCSB. It can balance out the steel one I already have, and find a happy home in an Aeronaut end pocket.

adalangdon
05-17-2014, 01:42 AM
Looking at Moosezilla's lovely PCSBs, I noticed that the grey one doesn't have the diagonal grid lines characteristic of 200d dyneema and is a darker shade of grey. Does this mean that the grey dyneema PCSB was released in 400d? I thought Darcy said (http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/7419-were-temporarily-out-steel-wasabi-iberian-200d-dyneema-nylon.html) the PCSBs were only available in black and nordic for 400D. *confused*

weirdguy
07-13-2014, 04:21 AM
Sigh... I am late to the Once-In-A-Life Event of 400d Dyneema PCSB.
I hope TB bring it back some days. I will wait infinitely for it.

eWalker
07-13-2014, 04:26 AM
Sigh... I am late to the Once-In-A-Life Event of 400d Dyneema PCSB.
I hope TB bring it back some days. I will wait infinitely for it.
I am lighting candles and joining you in prayers for this to happen!! ;)

weirdguy
07-22-2014, 11:50 PM
Just wondering though, would Tom Bihn ever have 400 Dyneema Shopping Bag?

icebeng
07-23-2014, 12:46 AM
They.... did......
Not trying to rub salt in your wounds, but there were batches of Shop Bags made in 400d Steel, Nordic and Black Dyneema.
The Nordic ones are sadly gone.
The current batch of Steel is still 400d, I believe.
Black Dyneema should stay around for the foreseeable future, I'm just not sure if it'll be a staple offering in the Shop Bags.

weirdguy
07-23-2014, 01:05 AM
Oh. That's interesting.
Perhaps, I try to email them and see their response.

Icebeng, do you remember how long ago was that batches?
Also, do you own any Shopping Bag? Are they that awesome?
I am thinking to give it to my wife whose bag keep overflow with Tupperware 1L Vertical Water Bottle, her LunchBox and her Horizontal Wallet and (I lent her) Snake Chamber and Double Organizer Pouch (Medium).

Ilkyway
07-23-2014, 01:38 AM
The shopping bags are awesome both in 200 + 400er dyneema. For shopping (dah) for swimming gear, as a picnic basket for a catch it all in the car (with three children a Travel Trai just wouldn't do the trick) and I have read that people are using them as a tote. I prefer the Swift for that because it has more structure.

Hope this helps.

icebeng
07-23-2014, 02:34 AM
Do I own any Shop Bags? Yes. <cough><cough>
How long ago? I'll say it's been a couple of months, maybe more. Can't possibly be more than 4 cos I stumbled across TB in March this year.
My parents are the heavy users, they have specific Shop Bags for different purposes, coded by color.
Uses include groceries and market shopping, transporting treats during festivals for relatives (dumplings for e.g), prayer stuff when they're going to the temple and they even designated 2(black) for Qing Ming (tomb sweeping).
I might as well come clean, except for Iberian (which are held up by a back order), I have the large and small in every current color.
I'm going to try and reclaim 2 once those come in lol, although I suspect I'll probably have to order another 2.
They are deceptive. They don't look huge, but you can stuff plenty of things in. And they have inner pockets for organization. You can turn the bag inside out so the pockets are on the outside to increase capacity. I specifically forbade my parents from doing that though as I don't want them to carry too much. The padded handles are really good, fingers turning purple or blue from lack of circulation from plastic bag handles are a thing of the past.
They have o-rings on the inside too, great for clipping stuff. Like the organizer pouches.
The 2 o-rings are opposite sides you can clip each end of a key strap to them to keep the opening from er... flaring open?

Let's be realistic here, "lent"? I don't think you're getting your pouches back :p
And lastly, I think we kinda derailed the thread :p sorry!

weirdguy
07-23-2014, 04:19 AM
Oh, that's a lot Shopping Bag you have there, @icebeng.
Great to hear such good family story. Hehe.

Yup, I find the Shopping Bag quite versatile with Interior 2 Pockets, O-Ring and also able could reverse (terbalik in Malay Language).

Haha. I know Shopping Bag is not related to this Topic.
I initially ask here because PCSB also comes with limited 400d and from @llkyway, there is also 400d Shopping Bag.
Do you guys have those - the 400d Shopping Bag?

Holly
07-23-2014, 05:30 AM
Continuing to derail...I am a new owner (last few months) of 3 large Shop Bags (2 400d steel dyneema, 1 ultraviolet) and 1 small Shop Bag (Wasabi) and already I've used them for multiple things. They are currently packed for a vacation trip to the beach, where I will test their sand-penetration (or lack there of) capacities. These are deceptively big bags, as they just swallow more and more and more! Well worth the price as these are lifetime bags (and good looking' ones at that!). Viva la Shop Bag!!

weirdguy
07-23-2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks Holly, for sharing those amazing experience.

Do you find any pro and cons of 400d Dyneema and your 200d Dyneema?
Also, which you prefer carrying? Small Shop Bag or Large?
Does carrying Large Shop Bag with half empty load felt awkward or not comfortable?

Hahaha. I hope the moderator would not be frustrated with my continuous derail question.

Update: Just manage to find the Topic in the search list, concering my Shop Bag's question - 400d vs 200d.Thanks.
http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags-accessories/7203-200-vs-400-fabric-shop-bags-can-you-tell-difference.html