PDA

View Full Version : I just love my new Side Effect

sturbridge
05-19-2014, 05:20 PM
I never really thought much of this thing when I first saw it. I read "fanny pack" and said yuck. But then so many of you mentioned how useful it was for you for so many situations so I decided to take another look. Its perfect as a daily purse, as I lean towards being a minimalist for daily carry unless I know I'll be away from the house for either a long distance or a long time (in which case I put the extra stuff I need in either the Little Swift and/or the small shopping bag). I have my wallet, reading glasses, tissues, my phone and a small container of daily necessities in it (band aids, shout wipes, safety pins, that kind of thing).

At the beginning, I didn't really get why some of you have multiples of this item. Now I do. ;)

eightspokedb
05-19-2014, 06:06 PM
I never really thought much of this thing when I first saw it. I read "fanny pack" and said yuck. But then so many of you mentioned how useful it was for you for so many situations so I decided to take another look. Its perfect as a daily purse, as I lean towards being a minimalist for daily carry unless I know I'll be away from the house for either a long distance or a long time (in which case I put the extra stuff I need in either the Little Swift and/or the small shopping bag). I have my wallet, reading glasses, tissues, my phone and a small container of daily necessities in it (band aids, shout wipes, safety pins, that kind of thing).

At the beginning, I didn't really get why some of you have multiples of this item. Now I do. ;)

The first bolded statement is one of my mantras - if I don't need it to make a purchase it stays in the car -

The second - 'help me'!!!!

hamiltee
05-19-2014, 06:37 PM
With such a declaration, sturbridge, we need more details! What fabric and color for this SE? Picture? What will be the color/fabric of your next SE? :p

vivelly
05-19-2014, 06:40 PM
I too hate the word "fanny pack"..lol And I too love the side effect. It is just right for the essentials and you hardly know its there.:)

scribe
05-19-2014, 10:03 PM
I too hate the word "fanny pack"..lol

Yeah, it means something very different in non-US English-speaking countries! *blushes*

I love my SE. It's just big enough for my wallet, coin purse, iPhone, keys, reading glasses and a mini OP for odds and ends (a few paracetamol, contact lens drops, comb, etc) - all the stuff I want to keep with me at all times.

And I love that the shoulder strap can be swapped with a waist strap - my previous EDCs were shoulder bags only, so I had to use a separate waist pack when travelling. Now I can take a single bag that can be my secure container for passport, etc, on the journey and then convert to a smart EDC when I arrive at my destination!

sturbridge
05-20-2014, 04:19 AM
I should have been more culturally appropriate and called it a bum pack. ;)

Some pictures:

I went with black/iberian. In the front pocket, are a travel toothpick holder, a flashlight (torch) and a whistle. In the main compartment, are my big bulky wallet, reading glasses, lotion bar in a case, chapstick, tissues (color coordinated, of course ;)), my EDC kit and some extra wipes for hands and glasses, my phone and a small swiss army knife that fits perfectly between the 2 pockets. I forgot to take out the SAK for the picture.

For those who are interested, the contents of the EDC kit are as follows: blister pad, bandaids (plasters), tampon, earplugs, nail clippers, tweezers, binder clip, sewing needle, advil, hydrocortisone cream, single use dental floss, bobby pins, pencil, index card, compass, and a vial of sea salt and a packet of pepper. Pretty much covers everything I might encounter in a day.

I'm not happy with my big bulky wallet, but the organizer wallet doesn't work for me either because I usually carry a lot of change on me. I will use the organizer wallet on vacation though.

Ilkyway
05-20-2014, 04:28 AM
Love your violet toothpick-container.

KatrinkaWinkle
05-20-2014, 06:35 AM
I never really thought much of this thing when I first saw it. I read "fanny pack" and said yuck. But then so many of you mentioned how useful it was for you for so many situations so I decided to take another look.

Same here. I started out with a MCB, then went down to a SCB for the summer, and last fall I finally started using my SE. I'm up to 6 now, and contemplating a 7th! I have Aubergine in ballistic for dressier days, cordura Indigo and Plum, parapack in Olive, and dyneema in steel, nordic, and considering whether to keep or return black.

Oh, wait, I have a ballistic steel one on order, I'd forgotten! Yikes, that will make 8! But I do like to switch out colors pretty often, and considering I have no other purses anymore, I suppose that's not really all that bad, is it?

eightspokedb
05-20-2014, 01:31 PM
In another thread member Perseffect was describing a bag her daughter uses - but the words fit the Side Effect perfectly -

Simple and Effective...

Side Effect is Simple and Effective....

vivelly
05-20-2014, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=sturbridge;65628]I should have been more culturally appropriate and called it a bum pack. ;)

That sounds only slightly better...lol

scribe
05-20-2014, 11:45 PM
I should have been more culturally appropriate and called it a bum pack. ;)

Indeed, though it's usually called a bum-bag in England - but that would still cause confusion with USians. Well, they do say England and America are two nations divided by a common language :)

Ilkyway
05-21-2014, 12:00 AM
The German word is Bauchtasche. Bauch = stomach, tasche = bag so it is a stomach-bag. I am so proud of our suphisticatian. Nothing near the bum-aria for us ;-) just plain stupidity, no humor nothing to detract the mind.

vivelly
05-21-2014, 02:04 AM
hahaha...ilkyway..you forgot the Brustbeutel :-)