PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks across USA in JUNE

grifter
05-19-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey all, be great to get some feedback!

We are staying in nice hotels the whole time so I'm not bothering with toiletries. Maybe this a problem.

Anyway, here's my list:

Wearing on plane:

Jeans
T-shirt
Jacket
Boots
1 x underwear
1 x socks
Hat
Travel pillow
Phone
Wallet
Headphones

Aeronaut:

Passport wallet
Copy of passport

1 x jeans
5 x t-shirts
2 x button up shirts
1 x shorts
1 x board shorts
1 x exercise short
1 x exercise shirt

5 x underwear
3 x socks
1 x sport socks

1 x running shoes
1 x thongs

Passport
Print outs of everything (flights, hotels, tickets)

Torch
Shard tool

Headache tablets
Berocca tablets
Hydration tablets
Multivitamin
Cold and flu vitamins
Buscopan

MacBook air or iPad

Camera

Phone charger
Computer charger
Camera charger

2 x shopping bags

Drink bottle

AUS to US power convertor plug

Detergent

Sunglasses

bijoux
05-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Thongs. Hahaha, luckily you grouped that with the sneakers. For our US friends... thongs are Flip flops.
I'm Australian as well.

I would add a solid toiletries item like a Lush shampoo bar which can double as body wash and shampoo and isn't included in the 3-1-1 limit. Even some upscale hotels have cheap and nasty toiletries (with pretty packaging) or with strong smells you may not like.

Moose
05-20-2014, 01:22 AM
I agree with bijoux, at least plan space for your own toiletries. You might dislike what's available. I agree with the thong think too. I grew up calling them that, now, not so much. :)

What is a shard tool please?

Melissa
05-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Why the torch (flashlight)? Also, if you are bringing button up tops, you may want to add a pair of khakis or chinos if you want to dine out in a nice restaurant. Some finer dining restaurants have dress codes (some of the REALLY upscale ones also require a jacket).

What cites are you going to?

moriond
05-20-2014, 10:20 AM
Why the torch (flashlight)?

Excerpted from Doug Dyment's OneBag web site (http://www.onebag.com) PDF document on How to Survive a Plane Crash (http://www.onebag.com/popups/plane-crashes.pdf):

Flashlights (Torches)
Many aircraft emergencies involve the loss of power and, consequently, the failure of cabin lighting; smoke can also dramatically reduce the ability to see one’s surroundings. So it’s difficult to over- emphasize the importance of carrying your own source of quality illumination, in the form of a powerful, reliable, rugged, long-lasting, waterproof flashlight (torch).

Such a light is highly useful in a variety of travel situations: navigating dark streets, late night reading, finding your way to the toilet, exploring lava tubes in Hawai'i, and locating items in an overhead compartment on a night flight. But nowhere is it more likely to save your life than in the event of a plane crash (or hotel fire).

Fortunately, thanks to modern LED technology, this critical survival tool can also be surprisingly small and lightweight. Expect to spend around $50 for a top-of-the line light, and expect to be amazed at its capabilities. Ensure that (1) its batteries are reasonably fresh (for this reason, it’s better to select one that uses ubiquitous AA batteries, rather than exotic photo/watch batteries), and (2) you keep it handy: there’s no point in having a state-of-the-art survival tool buried somewhere in your luggage.

At night, consider turning off your at-seat light(s) during the “full alert” periods; this allows your eyes to pre-adjust to the darkness in case of an emergency. Most aircraft dim the main cabin lights for nighttime takeoffs and landings; simply take this a step further by turning yours off as well.

The document references onebag.com's tools page (http://www.onebag.com/packing-list-tools.html) for more detailed recommendations. (I carry one of the other Quark Minis as a flashlight. It's useful when I need a small, bright light.)

HTH. moriond

eWalker
05-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Excerpted from Doug Dyment's OneBag web site (http://www.onebag.com) PDF document on How to Survive a Plane Crash (http://www.onebag.com/popups/plane-crashes.pdf):

The document references onebag.com's tools page (http://www.onebag.com/packing-list-tools.html) for more detailed recommendations. (I carry one of the other Quark Minis as a flashlight. It's useful when I need a small, bright light.)

HTH. moriond

@moriond have you tried the "Vip Guardian Light (http://www.adventurelights.com/outdoors/categories.asp?sid=5&cid=38)"? Same manufacturer of Tom Bihn Guardian DF Light but five times more powerful. I wished TB would sell that model too!

Frank II
05-22-2014, 08:13 AM
In the event of a plane crash, I don't think you want to start searching for a flashlight while everyone is trying to evacuate.

I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight app.

This is what I carry in my carry-on or day bag:

Nebo Luma Lite LED Flashlight (Grey) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEVWD9A?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B00BEVWD9A&linkCode=xm2&tag=ibssupportgroupf)

icebeng
05-22-2014, 08:58 AM
@moriond have you tried the "Vip Guardian Light (http://www.adventurelights.com/outdoors/categories.asp?sid=5&cid=38)"? Same manufacturer of Tom Bihn Guardian DF Light but five times more powerful. I wished TB would sell that model too!

@eWalker
That's a pretty powerful light!
However, if you are planning to get it, I strongly suggest NOT using it as an interior bag light.
Especially if your bag has a Solar interior. :P
Trust me, I found out the hard way >.<"

@grifter
if your phone or camera can be charged using usb, you could consider leaving the respective chargers behind.

eWalker
05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
@eWalker
However, if you are planning to get it, I strongly suggest NOT using it as an interior bag light.

Advice taken! Thanks!!

I liked it's versatility and the fact that that I don't have to flip the battery to change modes. :p

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

haraya
05-22-2014, 09:13 AM
I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight

Frank et al... I carry a flashlight on my keychain, and also have one in my nightstand. You never know if there will be a power outage, and/or an emergency like an earthquake, etc. When I travel, I keep one in my Travel Tray which takes the place of (or is on) my nightstand. I love these tiny little guys and have given one to just about all my loved ones and friends:

Photon X-Micro Freedom Light (http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-x-light-micro-led-keychain-flashlight/)

(I also have this bright yellow version (http://www.dougritter.com/dr_photon.htm), but prefer the one above. I think I originally saw the Photon here in one of Darcy's photo posts, and followed links to the Candlepower and EDC forums.)

They are cheap, lightweight, and long-lasting. My kids each have one - in fact I think I may get (breakaway) lanyards for them, to wear on the plane along with a whistle.

(Sometimes for the nightstand/Travel Tray I prefer one of the pen-shaped lights/torches, as they are easier to grab, but the nice thing about the Photons is their size - so small I never have to decide whether to take one with me.)

moriond
05-22-2014, 09:49 AM
In the event of a plane crash, I don't think you want to start searching for a flashlight while everyone is trying to evacuate.

I do carry a small flashlight--not one that cost anywhere near $50--because I've been in enough hotels that have had temporary blackouts. But on a plane or any other vehicle, I'd first reach for my smartphone that has a flashlight app.

This is what I carry in my carry-on or day bag:

Nebo Luma Lite LED Flashlight (Grey) - Basic Handheld Flashlights - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BEVWD9A?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B00BEVWD9A&linkCode=xm2&tag=ibssupportgroupf)

@Frank II I agree that I don't carry a flashlight because I think I'll use it in case of a plane crash. The typical use is in hotels or other locations where there is a power outage, doing quick rental car inspections when picking up cars late in the evening, and various occasions when I just need a light. I ran a search of Doug Dyment's site, because I remember he had picked out the Quark line (AA model) by FourSevens not too long after it was released, and included some links/performance specs. (I'd been following the FourSevens Quark product debuts On the Candlepower forums at the time.)

I carry (in my purse or "purse like object" aka PLO) a Quark MiNi CR123 that was a little under $30. This was from a custom run of neutral whites done a few years ago; the closest current spec might be something like this FOURSEVENS Mini 123/ML Black Finish / Cool White LED G2; 1XCR123A; 216 Lumens (http://www.amazon.com/FOURSEVENS-Black-Finish-1XCR123A-Lumens/dp/B00915B72A/).

I like the small form factor and ability to adjust to very high brightness with a very good, uniform beam of these lights. This is small enough for very easy operation in my hands, (including switching operation modes/brightness one-handed), but provides more "heft" than the photon-style lights, and I can tail-stand it if I need to while performing a fix. This also has very good battery longevity. Not necessarily the latest or the greatest, but something I've been carrying for a few years.

moriond

bchaplin
05-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Actually, in the event of ANY kind of emergency, I would want my flashlight with me. A powerful, long-lasting one with the option to display a distress signal that would keep going for a day or two in the event that I became unconscious. I keep the Photon X-Micro Freedom Light and a Four Sevens Mini ML (http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-AE) (both quite small) in my Side Effect, which stays on my body at all times, including take-off and landing. I wouldn't have to reach for anything during an evacuation, since they are already on me. I definitely wouldn't want to rely solely on my iPhone's power, though it might be useful for communications.

backpack
05-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Are you flying economy or something else? If in economy, do you have one of the first or one of the last seat assignment, can you upgrade using frequent flyers miles?

When you are boarding if you see that people in front of you are forced to check, even carry on size luggage, take out one of the shop bag and place the items you simply must have with you to make your vacation enjoyable.

If you can keep your Aeronaute with you, consider doing that when get to your seat.

June is the time when weather delays, overbooked flights and ultra busy airports start piling up.

While there is less chance of being stuck in the tarmac, you could be stuck at the gate if the departure queue gets delayed or, if there is a mechanical problem or, the crew must be replaced because they have mandatory rest periods.

I copied and pasted from your list, the items I thing must be kept within reach at all time.

Passport wallet
Copy of passport

Passport
Print outs of everything (flights, hotels, tickets)

Torch
Shard tool

Headache tablets
Berocca tablets
Hydration tablets
Multivitamin
Cold and flu vitamins
Buscopan

MacBook air or iPad

Camera

Phone charger
Computer charger
Camera charger

1 x shopping bag

Drink bottle

AUS to US power convertor plug

Where in the U.S are you going? There is a wide range of weather, disasters prone areas and places one should consider skipping.

I have a Guardian Light and a whistle from Tom Bihn.

They are always within reach, on a lanyard that goes over the neck, I wear it when there is severe storms warning.

During a hot but peaceful evening, a sudden tornado warning siren, caught me off guard inside my hotel room. When subsequent evacuation announcements were relayed via the speaker system, by security personel, I grabbed my Synapse and Small Cafe Bag, put my shoes on and wore the Guardian Light and Tom Bihn whistle around my neck.

I would love it, if TB Inc was offering the V.I.P Guardian Light!

bchaplin
05-22-2014, 10:36 AM

Neat! I'm all about the tiny-tiny lights, because I can keep them with me all the time, but this looks like a very useful light for camping, or a situation like an extended power outage.

eWalker
05-22-2014, 11:33 AM
What is a shard tool please?

The Gerber Shard keychain tool is the perfect companion when you want just the basics. With a shape of its own, the Shard has seven useful functions: small flat driver, medium flat driver, cross driver, pry bar, wire stripper, lanyard hole, and bottle opener. It is light enough to carry on your keychain, but tough and durable enough for everyday use. The Shard is made of stainless steel with a titanium coating, and it measures 2.75 inches. It's backed by a limited lifetime warranty.

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

moriond
05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
Actually, in the event of ANY kind of emergency, I would want my flashlight with me. A powerful, long-lasting one with the option to display a distress signal that would keep going for a day or two in the event that I became unconscious. I keep the Photon X-Micro Freedom Light and a Four Sevens Mini ML (http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-AE) (both quite small) in my Side Effect, which stays on my body at all times, including take-off and landing. I wouldn't have to reach for anything during an evacuation, since they are already on me. I definitely wouldn't want to rely solely on my iPhone's power, though it might be useful for communications.

Good choice. I like the that form factor, too. My order was placed through Four Sevens, but it was a custom neutral white production run done through the CandlePower forums, so I couldn't actually link to that product on the Four Sevens site, and tried to find an equivalent product match at Amazon.

moriond

snowbot
05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
You may want to purchase some toiletries in the US, especially for a 3 week trip, unless you're going to be traveling a lot by plane. I have very sensitive skin and often cannot use the products provided by hotels because they have such strong smells. Also, I still find hotels that do not provide lotion/moisturizer (another example of hotels catering to male business travelers). In my experience, only Hyatt hotels provide toothpaste.

I'm currently in China and am very glad that I brought my own soap/shampoo bar and moisturizer. While there is a body wash/shampoo dispenser in the shower in my hotel room, it has been empty since the day I arrived (9 days ago).

snowbot
05-22-2014, 06:37 PM
As mentioned above, June is severe weather season east of the Rocky Mountains. Just pay attention to your surroundings and if there is a tornado warning (unlikely, but possible depending on where you are traveling), make sure to find a safe place. A basement is best, but an interior room with no windows (preferably near the ground floor) is second best. Also, the US has lots of lightning and many people do not give it the respect it deserves.

Melissa
05-23-2014, 05:16 AM
HA HA!!! My question as to why bring a "torch" was from my overly Americanized brain. In my mind, "torch" is a large industrial flashlight, like a Stinger or MagLite; something I order frequently for our public safety employees. These things can be used as a weapon! My brain completely forgot that it could also mean a small personal light!!

One bag travel has "dual function for every item packed" so ingrained into my mind that here I was thinking @Grifter was wanting to bring a torch for both a lighting emergency and as a way to protect himself from being attacked! That started me thinking, "geez, what cities is he visiting that he needs one."

[see me now as I turn pink with embarrassment]

eWalker
05-24-2014, 07:23 AM
@eWalker

@icebeng Where did you buy yours? I am looking for an online store that will ship it overseas!

grifter
05-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Wow, thanks for all the top replies!

Some super useful stuff in here.

And yes, be "thongs" I mean flip-flops!

And by "torch", I meant a small little pocket version, not a big stick with cloth wrapped around one end!

Lush shampoo bar - this looks great. Will definitely get.

Does everyone think the SHARD TOOL would be cool on my carry on?

Gee
05-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Grifter, I find the easiest way to bring something like the Shard tool through security is on a keyring with keys (if you carry them).

icebeng
05-25-2014, 11:42 PM
@icebeng Where did you buy yours? I am looking for an online store that will ship it overseas!

I got mine from eBay, seller gave me one as a free gift :)

Grifter, I find the easiest way to bring something like the Shard tool through security is on a keyring with keys (if you carry them).

Has security relaxed any? I just avoid bringing metal stuff, especially pointy ones on my carry-on. I still see people arguing with security occasionally - "it's a plaque remover! I'm not going to stab anyone with it!" "That's a spork! You can barely scratch someone with this, let alone kill!"

Gee
05-26-2014, 03:20 AM
Icebeng I have seen the same and like you I choose not to carry anything which will start those arguments, the game has changed in the last 10 years. If you do carry something like that a keyring helps to group the metal item rather than stand out alone. I wouldn't carry it personally, the utility doesn't outweigh the hassle - for me.

bijoux
05-26-2014, 07:22 AM
Perhaps this adaptor can consolidate the camera/phone/iPad chargers... 4 USB outlets suitable for USA

Korjo - USB x4 Power Hub (USB04) (http://www.korjo.com/Product-Range/Adaptors-(1)/USB-x4-Power-Hub-(USB04).aspx)

Available at officeworks, strandbags, bunnings. Or online of course

Auntie Em
05-26-2014, 09:31 AM
I had TSA opening my bag because some metal tweezers were lying on top of a metal fingernail file in my (non-liquids) kit, and they couldn't tell what it was on the X-ray. They told me that it would be better to pack them in the 3-1-1 bag, or at least separately. So probably the tool + keys visible in the tray would be better than packed in a bag.

grifter
05-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks. I'll leave the shard tool at home then, not worth the hassle.

luskwater
05-30-2014, 06:19 AM
A powerful, long-lasting [flashlight]...

The Mini Maglite LED Pro does the "powerful" part (see my review (http://helpingindiatogether.blogspot.com/2014/04/that-not-light.html)), but only has two or three hours of light. But oh! what light!

jmoz
05-31-2014, 01:50 PM
I've flown with a Shard many times with no problems ever.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Anniegill
06-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Other option for a small flash light is the Fenix E12. It has 3 brightness levels (8 lumens to 130 lumens). It takes a "AA" battery. I use my flashlights all the time, night dog walks (it's way cooler then when you live in SE New Mexico!). And I have their E01 for my key chain, not as powerful, but both are affordable and will last a while.

monkeylady
06-01-2014, 06:13 PM
My husband and I are Fenix users also. After buying one for a recent trip, Mr. Monkeylady discovered how powerful it was, especially given it's size. Now he has his own as well, and is a happy camper.

taminca
06-02-2014, 06:37 AM
Other option for a small flash light is the Fenix E12. It has 3 brightness levels (8 lumens to 130 lumens). It takes a "AA" battery. I use my flashlights all the time, night dog walks (it's way cooler then when you live in SE New Mexico!). And I have their E01 for my key chain, not as powerful, but both are affordable and will last a while.

My husband and I are Fenix users also. After buying one for a recent trip, Mr. Monkeylady discovered how powerful it was, especially given it's size. Now he has his own as well, and is a happy camper.

Thanks. I have been looking for a smaller flashlight so appreciate the suggestion!

monkeylady
06-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Tam, Just make sure the flashlight has a means of adding a clip, as well as a wrist band. Our Fenixes have the latter, but not the former, and many times I wish I could clip it to the outside of a bag for use at night. We have 11 lumens in our flashlights, more than enough for us. REI is the willing purveyor.