PDA

View Full Version : My Smart Alec rules Folklife

Hollie
05-25-2014, 05:24 PM
We went to Folklife (http://www.folklife.org) today, Seattle's incredible free music festival that makes us all proud. We had a great time, and my Smart Alec was just the bee's knees. I almost took my Synapse 25, but when I put everything in it, I realized I couldn't grab things in and out of the main compartment as easily as I wanted. So I grabbed my Smart Alec, and VOILA! Everything was so accessible.

Throughout the day I would need to get to my camera, a snack bar, our water bottle, and Greg never even had to take off the bag. I just reached up, opened the flap, and then could take things in and out without anything falling out. I LOVE this bag, so much. For me, the Smart Alec is the One Backpack To Rule Them All. I know we all have our opinions on these things, but this bag, it just never lets me down.

Today was the first day I really used my external pouches, and they were great! It was so easy to reach in and grab snacks or my phone. The pouches really hold a lot, and yet their location makes it so easy to rummage through them when you need something fast. Here I just bought my Synapse 25 and my SA is really becoming my go-everywher bag. I could see someone traveling the world with this thing, easily. For now, I'll settle for the Pacific Northwest.

While Greg carried my Smart Alec, I carried my Nordic/Solar Side Effect on a cross-body strap, so that I could keep my money close at hand. Hey, you need to be able to buy things at Folklife! For instance, today I got a giant purple hula-hoop, and an event t-shirt. My daughter wanted to carry a Side Effect, too, for her chapstick and her own spending money, and so I let her borrow my old plum SE (with the waist straps cut off! oh those were the days). She loved it, and wants to keep it. I think I'll let her.

MtnMan
05-25-2014, 07:53 PM
It is always great to see owners of Tom Bihn luggage/EDC wares sharing photos of what these remarkable products look like when they are being worn. This is very helpful in getting a better idea what these products are like, not just in terms of aesthetics, but in practical terms of how they are worn and how they proportion with the human body.

Thank you.

bunchgrass
05-25-2014, 09:15 PM
Great pics! It looks like you had fun. The SE looks good on your daughter.

Hollie
05-25-2014, 10:57 PM
It is always great to see owners of Tom Bihn luggage/EDC wares sharing photos of what these remarkable products look like when they are being worn. This is very helpful in getting a better idea what these products are like, not just in terms of aesthetics, but in practical terms of how they are worn and how they proportion with the human body.

Thank you.

Yeah, it's funny, when I'm actually wearing the bags, I'm not really looking at them, I'm focused on wherever I'm at. But when I take pictures, and one of us in the family is wearing one of our Tom Bihn bags, I'm always struck by how great they look. They just look well-made, and elegant, and sharp. Which they are! But yeah, they're really great-looking bags. I feel so lucky to have found this brand, and been able to get the bags that I have. I'm very grateful.

Edited to add: What I wrote makes it sound like it's about appearances, and in some respects it is; we all have an aesthetic that appeals to us, and obviously all of us here like Tom Bihn's taste! But it's more than that. When I'm out, even just around town, I feel more secure knowing the things I'm carrying are in such great products.

Ilkyway
05-25-2014, 11:25 PM
I love you pictures. They show how much fun you and your family have. What a great SA it is. So far this is my only deep regret: I missed the SA in nordic. But you, and everyone who takes pictures of it, make up for it because than I can look at this beauty. Your daughter looks so happy with your Side Effect. She is wearing it like a real bag-enthusiast. And I think beside the small cafe bag the Side Effect is the best choice for girls: It looks cute, provides space for personal belongings and cant get too heavy for this little backs.

Thanks for sharing!
Ilkyway

vivelly
05-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Great photos! Its funny when we are out and wearing a TB bag I always tell my family who is posing for a picture to turn around SO I CAN SEE THE BAG! Never mind your faces...I want the bags on the pics...lol :)
I just love them too...they are are so practical, smart, multifunctional and so uncluttered and clean and smart looking. You are always dressed perfectly with these bags, whether you are hiking or going to the office.
I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled. Take whatever you want, but not my TB bags!

These pictures made me long for a SA now....I think I will never be "finished" with TB bags....*sigh*

Hollie
05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Great photos! Its funny when we are out and wearing a TB bag I always tell my family who is posing for a picture to turn around SO I CAN SEE THE BAG! Never mind your faces...I want the bags on the pics...lol :)
I just love them too...they are are so practical, smart, multifunctional and so uncluttered and clean and smart looking. You are always dressed perfectly with these bags, whether you are hiking or going to the office.
I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled. Take whatever you want, but not my TB bags!

These pictures made me long for a SA now....I think I will never be "finished" with TB bags....*sigh*

I do the same thing! They'll start smiling and I'm like, "No, you guys, you're beautiful and all, but turn around, you're all wearing Tom Bihn, I need to get a photo....". They all snort and dutifully turn around, I love it. :)

I completely understand the burgling fear. I've been getting into emergency preparedness (I'm a ham radio operator and I volunteer with emergency services), and I keep wanting to put together a go bag for my car. This would be, for me, a backpack stored in the back of my wagon, so that if I need to leave it and walk home from wherever I am (in the event of a bad earthquake, the most likely scenario in my part of the country), or if I have to stay by my car and hang out for a few days, I have things I might need for myself and/or my kids.

When I've talked about what it would take to put this together, my husband will say, "Well heck, you have enough backpacks."

"But those are my TOM BIHN backpacks!", I tell him.

"Yeah but aren't they the most comfortable? If you get stranded somewhere, isn't that the pack you'd want to have?"

"Well YEAH, OBVIOUSLY, but that means I just have this awesome backpack hanging out my car year after year, waiting to get burgled. What if I lost this bag?"

"Don't they make more? Couldn't you buy another one?"

"Well, maybe, but things sometimes get retired, and besides, this is NORDIC. I'm not putting anything Nordic in the back of the car to live out its life. Are you kidding me? Maybe I should buy a couple more Smart Alecs in black, or something? Couldn't we call that an Emergency Preparedness expense?"

To which he will do his wonderful half-cocked eyebrow, like, "Well this IS a conundrum, isn't it?"

vivelly
05-26-2014, 02:04 PM
That made me laugh Hollie! You should def. buy a couple of more SA for this occasion...it fcould be a matter of life and death and one has to be prepared with the best that one can get. I think though that even with a new SA for this specific task you would cringe to leave it unused in the car day after day...:)

I envy all of your partners here on this forum...even suggesting to get another bag or even buying TB bags for their wifes!!!! My hubby is against all shopping and he would be horrified if he would know that I get my bags from America! Thank God he never looks at labels and if he asks if that bag is new...I just say "Nah, got if for ages.." It still kind of works. What was quoted in the Titanic movie.."The heart of a women is a deep ocean of secrets" ;-))))
And he always says that he dislikes stuff made in China..so there you go. I am very proactive about it. :) So I dont only have an addiction to TB bags but a secret addiction.

Hollie
05-26-2014, 02:13 PM
That made me laugh Hollie! You should def. buy a couple of more SA for this occasion...it fcould be a matter of life and death and one has to be prepared with the best that one can get. I think though that even with a new SA for this specific task you would cringe to leave it unused in the car day after day...:)

I envy all of your partners here on this forum...even suggesting to get another bag or even buying TB bags for their wifes!!!! My hubby is against all shopping and he would be horrified if he would know that I get my bags from America! Thank God he never looks at labels and if he asks if that bag is new...I just say "Nah, got if for ages.." It still kind of works. What was quoted in the Titanic movie.."The heart of a women is a deep ocean of secrets" ;-))))
And he always says that he dislikes stuff made in China..so there you go. I am very proactive about it. :) So I dont only have an addiction to TB bags but a secret addiction.

Actually, he's brought that up. He's suggested that if I bought a spanking new Smart Alec, even in a color I wouldn't normally find attractive, that it would still cause me pain to pack it up and stick it in the back of the car. You're both right! It probably would. I have two old packs, other brands, that I will probably end up using for this project.

Oh, it would be hard to have this addiction and keep it secret! I feel for you!

moriond
05-26-2014, 02:15 PM
I am always worried that they get stolen if we are unlucky to get burgled.

I completely understand the burgling fear. I've been getting into emergency preparedness (I'm a ham radio operator and I volunteer with emergency services), and I keep wanting to put together a go bag for my car. This would be, for me, a backpack stored in the back of my wagon, so that if I need to leave it and walk home from wherever I am (in the event of a bad earthquake, the most likely scenario in my part of the country), or if I have to stay by my car and hang out for a few days, I have things I might need for myself and/or my kids.

When I've talked about what it would take to put this together, my husband will say, "Well heck, you have enough backpacks."

"But those are my TOM BIHN backpacks!", I tell him.

"Yeah but aren't they the most comfortable? If you get stranded somewhere, isn't that the pack you'd want to have?"

"Well YEAH, OBVIOUSLY, but that means I just have this awesome backpack hanging out my car year after year, waiting to get burgled. What if I lost this bag?"

"Don't they make more? Couldn't you buy another one?"

"Well, maybe, but things sometimes get retired, and besides, this is NORDIC. I'm not putting anything Nordic in the back of the car to live out its life. Are you kidding me? Maybe I should buy a couple more Smart Alecs in black, or something? Couldn't we call that an Emergency Preparedness expense?"

To which he will do his wonderful half-cocked eyebrow, like, "Well this IS a conundrum, isn't it?"

I confess that I bought a second Synapse (19) in Indigo/Solar as a backup when they discontinued Solar for the first time, because I carry this bag all the time since the first Synapse release and production batch, and I couldn't stand the thought that if this bag ever got stolen (more likely than its wearing out) I wouldn't be able to replace it. (Indigo isn't available any more, either.). I bought the second to last Indigo/Solar Synapse. The last Indigo/Solar Synapse went to @falconea in Melbourne, Australia, who bought it as a backup for similar reasons. That's the only bag that I've backed up in that manner, though,

moriond

vivelly
05-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Oh, it would be hard to have this addiction and keep it secret! I feel for you![/QUOTE]

At least I have the forum here to share my secret addiction with. :-)

vivelly
05-26-2014, 04:28 PM
This so amused me on my school run that I tought I post it..thinking....how nice it would be to be married to a Bihnion. And we could start a dating thread for people looking for suitable partners. "Woman with an aubergine Aeronaut is looking for a man with a nordic dyneema Smart Alec"
That would be SO funny...haha
That takes the whole Bihnion thing to a new level. :-)

haraya
05-26-2014, 06:45 PM
I confess that I bought a second Synapse (19) in Indigo/Solar as a backup when they discontinued Solar for the first time, because I carry this bag all the time since the first Synapse release and production batch, and I couldn't stand the thought that if this bag ever got stolen (more likely than its wearing out) I wouldn't be able to replace it. (Indigo isn't available any more, either.). I bought the second to last Indigo/Solar Synapse. The last Indigo/Solar Synapse went to @falconea in Melbourne, Australia, who bought it as a backup for similar reasons. That's the only bag that I've backed up in that manner, though,

moriond

You could always buy an SA off eBay... then it wouldn't be brand spanking new and you could bear to put it in your trunk! :D

I confess, I was actually thinking the other day that if the zombie apocalypse hit, all of the Bihnions would have amazing go bags already on them. They would become precious survival tools, hoarded and passed down generation to generation. ;P

Oooh, I just thought of a great birthday present for DD! Clear Organizer Pouch on a key strap with basic supplies (e.g. mini flashlight, bandaids, chap stick). And maybe a pen pouch on a key strap as well. She can never find anything in her school pack. This could be life-changing!! (I should get her an S19. Maybe when she starts middle school.)

Hollie
05-26-2014, 07:12 PM

moriond

I've thought about doing this! I can't back up anymore Nordic, although that's okay, I guess I've taken enough from the Nordic world (I really need to get a photo of it all together, the depth of my addiction just can't be conveyed in words). But as products and colors do get retired, it does make you think, "Which one can't I really live without?", and what might you want to get a second one of, just to have in the wings for that terrible day that it disappears/gets stolen/is accidentally thrown into a threshing machine.

The Synapse 19 is a great bag to back up. I love mine. I think the back-up idea will serve me well when a new color comes out that I just can't live without.

Hollie
05-26-2014, 07:22 PM
I confess, I was actually thinking the other day that if the zombie apocalypse hit, all of the Bihnions would have amazing go bags already on them. They would become precious survival tools, hoarded and passed down generation to generation. ;P

Hahahahaha! You should see me when we're watching The Walking Dead! :) I'm always joking about how all they need is to get some Tom Bihn bags and a ham radio, and they'd all be so much better off! I'll forgive them for not looting the Tom Bihn store, since they're down south and the warehouse is all the way in Seattle, but they have no excuse not to loot a Radio Shack for some handhelds and batteries.

haraya
05-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Hahahahaha! You should see me when we're watching The Walking Dead! :) I'm always joking about how all they need is to get some Tom Bihn bags and a ham radio, and they'd all be so much better off! I'll forgive them for not looting the Tom Bihn store, since they're down south and the warehouse is all the way in Seattle, but they have no excuse not to loot a Radio Shack for some handhelds and batteries.

I know, right?? But then there would be no show, I guess. :D ("A bunch of normal people figure out how to survive. The End.")

Of course, if you had more than one Bihnion in the makeshift shelter, they'd probably get to comparing notes, and forget to keep a lookout for the biters. ;P

eWalker
05-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Of course, if you had more than one Bihnion in the makeshift shelter, they'd probably get to comparing notes, and forget to keep a lookout for the biters. ;P

No way! They would talk standing back to back to protect their beloved unreplaceable bags! ;)

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

vivelly
05-27-2014, 01:39 AM
hahaha...that is so funny!

icebeng
05-27-2014, 01:46 AM
No way! They would talk standing back to back to protect their beloved unreplaceable bags! ;)

The Ballistic Nylon is supposed to be pretty tough! I wonder if TB would consider looking into making zombie proofed armor should the need arises one day. After all, making jackets is also one of Mr Bihn's forte. A full suit of armor with a 1050d ballistic nylon exterior with a Parapack or Dyneema lining should be good protection :)

eWalker
05-27-2014, 01:54 AM
The Ballistic Nylon is supposed to be pretty tough! I wonder if TB would consider looking into making zombie proofed armor should the need arises one day. After all, making jackets is also one of Mr Bihn's forte. A full suit of armor with a 1050d ballistic nylon exterior with a Parapack or Dyneema lining should be good protection :)

LOL! According to the Dyneema site, Dyneema is used to make armors already, so you are right on all accounts! ! :)

Vests made with DyneemaŽ offer wearer protection against a range of threats - including handgun ammunition, fast-moving fragments, and knives - while providing the lightest weight options with maximum flexibility and comfort. - See more at: http://www.dyneema.com/americas/applications/life-protection/personal-armor/vests.aspx#sthash.FwKWax1p.dpuf

vivelly
05-27-2014, 02:04 AM
I wouldnt want to distract Tom Bihn from making bags...but imagine jackets!!! TB jackets...thank God for my wallet they do not....:)

eWalker
05-27-2014, 02:15 AM
I wouldnt want to distract Tom Bihn from making bags...but imagine jackets!!! TB jackets...thank God for my wallet they do not....:)

Yet! ;) Notice that the site does not restricts TB mission to bags, so who knows that the future may hold?

icebeng
05-27-2014, 02:19 AM
@Hollie
Sorry to derail your thread :p
I promise to start a petition for an all Nordic outfit on your behalf should the day ever comes ^.^
(If I can beat you to it, that is lol)

Hollie
05-27-2014, 09:38 AM
@Hollie
Sorry to derail your thread :p
I promise to start a petition for an all Nordic outfit on your behalf should the day ever comes ^.^
(If I can beat you to it, that is lol)

Hahahaha! You can derail any thread of mine with that promise.

In other Dyneema-love thoughts - I had told Matthew, when I picked up my stuff, that I would love, oddly enough, a Dyneema PICNIC BLANKET. Just a nice little 4x4' square of Dyneema with the edges seamed, so that when it's wet on the ground (Hello, dear Seattle), I can park it and not get my bum wet.

I also commented about wanting to use my REI Visa on this purchase because I get points toward my annual REI rebate, and he joked, "You're going to REI? Don't we have everything?" and I said, "You don't have CLOTHES! When do we get Dyneema clothes?" :)

Ginkgo
05-27-2014, 10:33 PM
These are great photos, @Hollie! Thank you so much for posting them. I've seen the Lower Modular Pocket in various pics, but usually it's just attached to the bag, with no "human" context. Now that I've seen it attached on the SA and being carried by a person, I have to say that it looks a lot bigger than I realized. I ordered a Nordic one for my black ballistic SA -- can't wait for it to arrive!

Hollie
05-28-2014, 02:46 PM
These are great photos, @Hollie! Thank you so much for posting them. I've seen the Lower Modular Pocket in various pics, but usually it's just attached to the bag, with no "human" context. Now that I've seen it attached on the SA and being carried by a person, I have to say that it looks a lot bigger than I realized. I ordered a Nordic one for my black ballistic SA -- can't wait for it to arrive!

Oh good! Yeah when I ordered it, I wasn't sure what it would look like. I was a lot more confident about the top modular pocket. Want to know the truth? What really swayed me was that the lower modular pocket was available in Nordic, and I thought, "Okay, ONE MORE PIECE OF NORDIC, and if for some reason it doesn't look right or I don't want to use it, I'll use it as an interior packing bag." And of course, it ended up being perfect (I think they know what they're doing down at the company).

haraya
06-03-2014, 06:34 PM
LOL - I just came across this review of the S25 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhVBWUflwQ) by Black Scout Survival. I guess we aren't the only ones who think a Bihn bag is going to get us thru the zombie apocalypse! :D Nice to know an expert thinks so, too! ;)

eWalker
06-03-2014, 07:25 PM
LOL - I just came across this review of the S25 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPhVBWUflwQ) by Black Scout Survival. I guess we aren't the only ones who think a Bihn bag is going to get us thru the zombie apocalypse! :D Nice to know an expert thinks so, too! ;)

Hey! Don't forget to add this link to external reviews thread! Nice catch!

haraya
06-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I think the TB crew already caught the reference, they just reposted on Twitter and FB! :)

Hey! Don't forget to add this link to external reviews thread! Nice catch!

eWalker
06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
I think the TB crew already caught the reference, they just reposted on Twitter and FB! :)

Yup! Just saw it on FB! :)

Hollie
06-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Now I can't stop looking at those videos, it's like the zombie movies come to life! So to speak.

haraya
06-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Now I can't stop looking at those videos, it's like the zombie movies come to life! So to speak.

Should we go sign up for the Urban Escape & Evasion course? Except - my SA that is on the way is Aubergine. Doesn't exactly meet the Gray Man requirements, oops! ;)

Hollie
06-03-2014, 09:02 PM
I wondered that, too! Mine is Nordic Dyneema (of course). I was raising my eyebrows when he was talking about how well the S25 blends in, I thought, "Uhhh.....yeah.....I kind of like mine because it stands out...".

Well, of course you know what's coming next. Clearly this means we need to use our more bold, patterns/colors as our Peaceful Urban Excursion Pack, and then we need to buy a green or black one, as our Zombie Uprising Urban Excursion Pack. OBVIOUSLY.

haraya
06-03-2014, 09:43 PM
Clearly this means we need to use our more bold, patterns/colors as our Peaceful Urban Excursion Pack, and then we need to buy a green or black one, as our Zombie Uprising Urban Excursion Pack. OBVIOUSLY.

Nah, if we get caught out with our eye-popping Bihn bags, we'll just apply camouflage to the bright parts and keep going. (They clean up well, of course.) Or, y'know, throw your ninja hood over the top of your SA and keep walking... smoothly, so as not to attract any attention!

...alternately, immediately find the nearest window display with clothing that matches your bag, and loiter in front of it until the danger is past.

BUT, this does mean I must now equip my entire family with every possible combination of Bihn bags and accessories, so that we are prepared for any eventuality! :D (and don't forget caches, not to be confused with a Cache! Must keep an emergency TB bag within reach at all times!)

...I might need that survival training after all. :)

Eta: I do actually enjoy thinking thru worst-case scenarios and making plans. But am also pretty clear that in the event of a bear attack or alien invasion, I am likely to protect my family by being the slowest runner in the pack. :)

scribe
06-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Should we go sign up for the Urban Escape & Evasion course? Except - my SA that is on the way is Aubergine. Doesn't exactly meet the Gray Man requirements, oops! ;)

I think black and aubergine is subtle enough not to stand out - and definitely dark enough for night manoeuvres!

I'm currently rewatching a boxed set of "Dark Angel", a near-future SF series set in Seattle after an economic collapse, and I keep expecting to spot one of the cycle messenger characters toting a TB bag :)

haraya
06-04-2014, 05:46 AM
I think black and aubergine is subtle enough not to stand out - and definitely dark enough for night manoeuvres!

Yes, but what shall we do about poor Hollie and her Nordic?? Can't leave her to the zekes! :D

I'm currently rewatching a boxed set of "Dark Angel", a near-future SF series set in Seattle after an economic collapse, and I keep expecting to spot one of the cycle messenger characters toting a TB bag :)

I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear. I think there was some Lululemon (jackets/workout wear). The Viper helmets were bike or motorcycle helmets (Specialized?). And I was amused to note that one of the characters had the same coffee travel mug that we used - nothing fancy, just a silver-toned cup with rubber grip details.

scribe
06-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Yes, but what shall we do about poor Hollie and her Nordic?? Can't leave her to the zekes! :D

Mud. Only solution!

I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear.

I do this all the time. I remember ST:TNG used Bodum cups for Captain Picard's tea, presumably because they thought the glass-with-a-plastic-clipon-handle design (http://www.trekprops.de/picards-tea-cup) looked futuristic. And in the original Star Trek series, a set of "futuristic" stainless steel salt and pepper pots were judged too unrecognisable (they were a visual clue in the "salt vampire" episode The Man Trap) so they ended up as Dr McCoy's medical instruments.

Yes, I am a card-carrying geek :)

haraya
06-04-2014, 06:16 AM
Yes, I am a card-carrying geek :)

Me too!!! *does the secret handshake*

in the original Star Trek series, a set of "futuristic" stainless steel salt and pepper pots were judged too unrecognisable, so they ended up as Dr McCoy's medical instruments

Haha! I bet my hubs would know exactly the scene you are referring to, he is an old-skool Trek geek. I know we have those Bodum cups too, and I'm pretty sure DH bought them because they looked future-y, not because he knew Picard used them (but when we found out, we were pretty amused!).

Mud. Only solution!

Where are we going to find mud in an urban combat situation?? We'd have to go into a vegetarian restaurant and borrow some of their organic black bean stew. Or something. :)

scribe
06-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Where are we going to find mud in an urban combat situation??

Alleys. They always seem to have dark wet grimy yuck underfoot, at least in rainy climates. We'll be safe in Seattle (or anywhere in the UK, for that matter) ;)

Hollie
06-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Nah, if we get caught out with our eye-popping Bihn bags, we'll just apply camouflage to the bright parts and keep going. (They clean up well, of course.) Or, y'know, throw your ninja hood over the top of your SA and keep walking... smoothly, so as not to attract any attention!

...alternately, immediately find the nearest window display with clothing that matches your bag, and loiter in front of it until the danger is past.

BUT, this does mean I must now equip my entire family with every possible combination of Bihn bags and accessories, so that we are prepared for any eventuality! :D (and don't forget caches, not to be confused with a Cache! Must keep an emergency TB bag within reach at all times!)

...I might need that survival training after all. :)

Eta: I do actually enjoy thinking thru worst-case scenarios and making plans. But am also pretty clear that in the event of a bear attack or alien invasion, I am likely to protect my family by being the slowest runner in the pack. :)

Hahahahahaha! I loved the part about being the slowest runner, I'm in the same boat! I'm trying to get in shape, but it's slow going....

I love thinking through worst-case scenarios, too. I think sometimes it gives the wrong impression. For instance, I often carry around my handheld ham radio. Occasionally someone will see the antenna and ask what it is, and when I bring it out to show them, they say, "Why on earth do you carry that around?" I used to say, "Oh I'm a ham radio operator and it's just fun to have, I like to listen to my local repeater." But that usually makes their eyes glaze over, so with the goal of encouraging interest in amateur radio (I'm a founding member of The Juliets (http://www.thejuliets.net), a ham radio group for women), I began saying, "Well, it's a great form of back-up emergency communications in the event of an emergency," which will pique their interest for a few minutes, until they arrive at the conclusion that if I carry a ham radio around, I must be obsessed with disaster preparedness. I have to explain that no, I'm not obsessed, it's just fun! :)

I took an EMT class a few years ago, and my favorite part was at the end of every day where our teacher would spend half an hour throwing different scenarios at us and we'd have to quickly come up with solutions. My CERT training class also included scenarios that were really fun to try and control ("Okay, a 4-person Cessna has just crash landed on your company's lawn! There is visible fire in the tail, one person laying unconscious on the grass and three people still inside! What do you do? Now, GO!").

Thanks to the incredible rapidity of news media communication, we can be inundated with, to paraphrase Alice in Wonderland, "Twelve horrible things before breakfast." It's natural to feel afraid at the possibility of an event that we will have little control over. I think disaster preparedness can be very calming and help us feel empowered in the event of an emergency. Usually the people who panic the most are the ones who know least what to do.

Hollie
06-04-2014, 10:05 AM

I remember when Battlestar Galactica (the reboot - shot in Vancouver) came out, it was fun to try and spot brands of things they had repurposed as 'futuristic' gear. I think there was some Lululemon (jackets/workout wear). The Viper helmets were bike or motorcycle helmets (Specialized?). And I was amused to note that one of the characters had the same coffee travel mug that we used - nothing fancy, just a silver-toned cup with rubber grip details.

Ahhhh, you and Scribe are geeks, too! SECRET HANDSHAKE INDEED! Oh I miss Battlestar Galactica. We loved the reboot.

As for me and my Nordic, I loved Scribe's idea of covering it in black beans! Lol! I'm mostly vegetarian and eat a lot of beans, so perhaps I should carry a can around with me as both protection against a possibly future zombie apocalypse and a great food source. BUT, my favorite solution comes from my husband, Greg. I was relaying this conversation to him this morning, and we were both laughing out loud, and he said, "Well, you guys haven't come up with the CLEAR and OBVIOUS solution."

"We've come up with mud, hoodie hoods, and black beans, what else is there?"

"If you really want to blend in, you need to cover the world in Nordic Dyneema."

haraya
06-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Hahahahahaha! I loved the part about being the slowest runner, I'm in the same boat! I'm trying to get in shape, but it's slow going....

I love thinking through worst-case scenarios, too. I think sometimes it gives the wrong impression.

I didn't realize until recently that my preparedness thing is a family trait. My mom, my aunt, and I were visiting my brother, and we happened to start talking about all the things we did in case of emergencies - have sturdy shoes by the bed at night in case you need to run (a very likely thing, growing up in earthquake country); have a flashlight handy; look for the nearest exit; and so on. Our spouses looked at each other in horror as they realized that they had married into a paranoid family. :)

Turns out my grandfather started the whole thing. He installed a fire alarm in their two-story, 8-room house in the middle of a very small town, and made his kids practice fire drills (as well as what to do when hearing gunshots - roll out of bed and crawl to an interior room). You can imagine how embarrassing that was to my mom and sister - the whole town knew exactly when they were doing drills! Anyway, they were kind enough to pass along this obsession to the next generation. And now I'm proud to say that my 9yo counts the number of doors to the exit when we check into a hotel room. ;P

I took an EMT class a few years ago, and my favorite part was at the end of every day where our teacher would spend half an hour throwing different scenarios at us and we'd have to quickly come up with solutions.

I would LOVE to take a class like this!! I missed the instructor training at my dojo recently, but plan to take it when it comes up again.

I think disaster preparedness can be very calming and help us feel empowered in the event of an emergency. Usually the people who panic the most are the ones who know least what to do.

So much yes. I think if I didn't rehearse (at least in my head) my responses to all these potential situations, I'd turn into an agoraphobe and never travel again. :) I find it very calming to plot my steps and line up all my gear. Or maybe I just like bags, and this is my justification! ;)

haraya
06-04-2014, 10:28 AM
As for me and my Nordic, I loved Scribe's idea of covering it in black beans! Lol! I'm mostly vegetarian and eat a lot of beans, so perhaps I should carry a can around with me as both protection against a possibly future zombie apocalypse and a great food source. BUT, my favorite solution comes from my husband, Greg. I was relaying this conversation to him this morning, and we were both laughing out loud, and he said, "Well, you guys haven't come up with the CLEAR and OBVIOUS solution."

"We've come up with mud, hoodie hoods, and black beans, what else is there?"

"If you really want to blend in, you need to cover the world in Nordic Dyneema."

I seriously lol'ed at that solution!! :D Perfect! :D

...and hey, the black beans were my suggestion! ;P But you forgot yet another use - weapon! Only good for slowing down one zombie, though, and after that you won't have food, so you'd better run fast! :DDD

scribe
06-09-2014, 01:11 PM
The black beans were definitely not my suggestion, but if you want an awesome post-apocalyptic chilli, I'm your woman ;)

Apropos of nothing, I've just been reminded that Jensen Ackles' character in Dark Angel (set in Seattle in 2019) is called "Smart" Alec - I wonder if Tom is a fan of the show?