PDA

View Full Version : PHOTO ESSAY - PACKING CUBE BACKPACK (AERONAUT)

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM

A day out hiking with the PCBP.
(Lead's pocket below with misc items)

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 07:53 AM

Second photo down shows my vest folded on top.
Third photo shows 3d cube First Aid kit, then clockwise my lunch pack,
With sun glasses in case within pencil case, change of shorts and top rolled up
and then a folded up windbreaker.
Forth photo, lunch pack with an electolite mix, and mandatory expresso thermos,
with pop up silicone shot cup. :-)

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 07:54 AM

Third and forth photo below shows my walking sticks folded up
and packed away when walking on a level grade.

meekasmom
06-23-2014, 08:39 AM
you got all of that stuff in there? wow.

NWhikergal
06-23-2014, 09:02 AM
@Trailhiker, if you don't mind my asking, what type of thermos is that? I have a larger Zojirushi Tuff Slim that I use on cold weather hikes, but I really like your slightly smaller one. Thanks! Nice set-up and pics.

moriond
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
@Trailhiker The Iberian Dyneema looks great. I'm curious whether you also ordered the 400d Aeronaut PCBP and can compare the carrying experience. Are there times when the heavier weight Dyneema fabric makes a difference? As always, great pictures!

moriond

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Hikergal,
That thermos is great, I have also been known to slip that into my small cafe bag when going to the theater, and having my expresso handy for the break. Here's the search key, Zojirushi SM-KHE36NL Stainless Steel Mug, 12-Ounce, Champagne Gold

Moriond,
Yes, I do have the a PCPB in black 400d that I haven't used outside of a packing cube to the desert.
Outside of liking the feel of the 400d better along with its innate firmness of holding itself up better,
( ie, shop-bags) I haven't as yet put it to a field test hike yet.

Shiva
06-23-2014, 10:52 AM
1. what is the flat lunch case that you are using? I like the size and shape.

2. And the folding walking stick?

this is great…thank you
Shiva

Hikergal,
That thermos is great, I have also been known to slip that into my small cafe bag when going to the theater, and having my expresso handy for the break. Here's the search key, Zojirushi SM-KHE36NL Stainless Steel Mug, 12-Ounce, Champagne Gold

Moriond,
Yes, I do have the a PCPB in black 400d that I haven't used outside of a packing cube to the desert.
Outside of liking the feel of the 400d better along with its innate firmness of holding itself up better,
( ie, shop-bags) I haven't as yet put it to a field test hike yet.

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 11:29 AM
1. what is the flat lunch case that you are using? I like the size and shape.

2. And the folding walking stick?

this is great…thank you
Shiva

Shiva, Quick answer, :-)

1. Search key, "eBags Slim Lunch Box"

2. Black Diamonds, Ultra Mountain FL Trekking Pole - Black Diamond Gear (http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/ultra-mountain-fl-trekking-pole-BD112133_cfg.html?dwvar_BD112133__cfg_color=Forest #start=14)

Love'em!!!

I find that it's best to use two, ( they usually come in a right / left set) and when u set them on level ground your arm should be at a 90 degree angle to the grip. When going up hills it's better for your knees as well as giving your upper body a work out as well. Very handy in steep descents. :-/

There are lighter fold up ones, but they tend to be non-adjustable on the top part.
( which comes in handy on different terrains and inclines )

Memo, when folding up the sticks I tend to use a sweat wrist strap or (a set of Guides pack ice pick straps as I used in the photo below) to help hold the folded elements to the handle. The bottom of the pole clips into the disk element.

WendyK
06-23-2014, 11:34 AM
I want one one of these now too!

flaneuse
06-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Nice, very nice. That makes me want to order one too. Well done.

KatrinkaWinkle
06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
@Trailhiker, do you have a waist strap on that PCBP? It looks like there is, but mine doesn't have one. I've been thinking about jerry-rigging something up. Thanks!

Trailhiker
06-23-2014, 03:51 PM
@Trailhiker, do you have a waist strap on that PCBP? It looks like there is, but mine doesn't have one. I've been thinking about jerry-rigging something up. Thanks!

Karen,

Actually, what looks like a waist strap is actually my Side Effect being carried in the front at the time of that picture.
With the PCPB and both Synapses I don't bother with a waist strap, and depending on my load with the Guides Pack determines if I even use it then.

I don't have a "frontal" view with the PCBP, but I do with the Guides Pack.
I usually have my cell phone in the front zipper with a small camera at the ready in the main compartment of the SE .

KatrinkaWinkle
06-23-2014, 05:18 PM
@ Trailhiker, thanks, that makes sense. I often use the SE in combination with other bags, too.

NWhikergal
06-23-2014, 09:31 PM
One thing I brainstormed for my Western Flyer packing cube backpack was how to handle hydration if I actually wanted to use it for a lightweight backpack, since I prefer to use hydration bladders when hiking, rather than having to stop and unzip the pack and take out a bottle. The fix I came up with was using a Nite Ize S biner in the O ring to clip my hydration bladder. The backpack will accommodate a 2 liter bladder, no problem. The only question I have, if anyone has tried something like this, is the relative strength of the stitching and the O biner, as I would not want to cause undue stress. In a normal situation I would likely have something at the bottom of the pack under the hydration pouch that would at least partially support the weight, so this might be a non-issue. Here are a few iPhone pics of what I mean. Note: when I wore the pack in this configuration, rather than having it hanging by its loop, the weight distributed evenly rather than drooping down a bit as it does in these photos.

Shiva
06-24-2014, 08:05 AM
Thanks Trailhiker. This was very helpful.
I was looking at the Guides Pack on your back--with the addition of side pockets, it looks really close to your arms. Does it come in the way when you swing your arms? I think they are probably too wide for me…I am short and narrow!

looks great ..

S

Shiva, Quick answer, :-)

1. Search key, "eBags Slim Lunch Box"

2. Black Diamonds, Ultra Mountain FL Trekking Pole - Black Diamond Gear (http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/trekking-poles/ultra-mountain-fl-trekking-pole-BD112133_cfg.html?dwvar_BD112133__cfg_color=Forest #start=14)

Love'em!!!

I find that it's best to use two, ( they usually come in a right / left set) and when u set them on level ground your arm should be at a 90 degree angle to the grip. When going up hills it's better for your knees as well as giving your upper body a work out as well. Very handy in steep descents. :-/

There are lighter fold up ones, but they tend to be non-adjustable on the top part.
( which comes in handy on different terrains and inclines )

Memo, when folding up the sticks I tend to use a sweat wrist strap or (a set of Guides pack ice pick straps as I used in the photo below) to help hold the folded elements to the handle. The bottom of the pole clips into the disk element.

Trailhiker
06-24-2014, 09:16 AM
Thanks Trailhiker. This was very helpful.
I was looking at the Guides Pack on your back--with the addition of side pockets, it looks really close to your arms. Does it come in the way when you swing your arms? I think they are probably too wide for me…I am short and narrow!

looks great ..

S

Shiva,

Cheers,
Well,you got the side view shot out of me !
I don't have any issues with the side pockets,
swinging and using my walking sticks. (and I'm pretty loaded at that shot)

icebeng
06-24-2014, 09:31 AM
Trailhiker,
are the Side Pockets floppy like packing cubes when they're empty?
Or do they have structure like the Lead's Pocket?

Trailhiker
06-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Trailhiker,
are the Side Pockets floppy like packing cubes when they're empty?
Or do they have structure like the Lead's Pocket?

Icebeng,

The Lead's pockets have an inset foam approximately 3/8" thick on either side that gives it a structural firmness.
(It lays between the exterior fabric / hidden outside pocket and the interior backing of the mesh pockets.)
On the Left and Right Pockets that same structural foam is only on the side of the annex clips where the hidden zippered pocket is.
The outer side has more of a floppy character to it, but less than a packing cube because it is held in check so to speak by the the other side.
( I don't happen to have pics handy on that in my files) :-/

Note, keep in mind that the Left/ Right pockets have only one 3/4 length zipper and not the two that wrap around and meet like on the Lead's pockets.