PDA

View Full Version : Fotorequest: Has anybody an Brain Bag in Plum?

Ilkyway
06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
This is the one dedicated Backpack (from the now available collection of bags) that I do not own. I would love to see a girly version of it. I understand it is huge but sometimes huge is good and I have a backpack from another company with similar twin main compartments that I like for traveling with my "office", when laptop and work-stuff go in one compartment and the clothes in the other.

And as a related question: Darcy announced some changes for the Brain Bag (http://forums.tombihn.com/just-registered-members/7585-heads-up-price-update.html it is the third paragraph from the bottom in Darcys first post). But as I do not own one I am not sure if I understood all of them. More O-Rings are clear and GREAT but the rest I would like for someone who has this pack to commend on. Because a backpack this big has to be girly for me to like to wear it. So I am thinking: the current plum-version or waiting and hoping for something purple in the next batch.

Do you see what I am doing here? Sadly enough this is my way of passing the time till... you know what. But seriusly I am thinking about the Brain Bag for a while now and if someone has pictures and/or thoughts on this I would be glad.

Ilkyway

AVService
06-27-2014, 09:26 AM
I have one in Plum,it is one of the early ones but I think is pretty much like the current ones aside from some minor detail updates?

I would not consider the Plum to be more "Girly" than any others though?

Not at all sure how or why you think it will be either?

The Plum is a deep dark rich purple and not pink in any way if that tells you anything.

I also have 2 Red ones(whatever that color is called now,it looks red to me!)and they seem a little girlier to me if I had to think about it,which I hope I don't.

Anyway I will try to get a pic later so you can see it for yourself.

Also the bags now are made entirely of Cordura and so the fabric changes you asked about will be fairly new ground for the BB I imagine.

Ilkyway
06-27-2014, 09:57 AM
I keep stepping on touth with my thinking of deep purples as girly. Sorry for that. I can not even explain why because you are totally right, it is not gender-specific. I have to reboot this colour-world-veiw of mine!

Anyway, if you have the time to spare to make some pictures I would be quite thankfull because adding shipping fees and customs I buy to keep and not to send back and therefor I depend on pictures for an informed decision.

Ilkyway

tpnl
06-27-2014, 10:44 AM
Ilkyway

To answer you question about the changes Darcy mentions other than the O-Rings:

"Note on the Brain Bag: the next batch of Brain Bags will be made with an exterior of 1000d Cordura, an interior of Parapack, and (due to your popular demand) a bottom of 1050d ballistic nylon. And, oh yeah: more o-rings (!!!). When the updated Brain Bag debuts, the new price will be $190"

1) Originally (since around 1998 if I recall), the Brain Bags were always all 1000d Cordura exterior and 500d Cordura interior
2) Then, recently there was a run of BB made of Parapack exterior and interior except for the bottom exterior material which was 1050d ballistic nylon). That is no more.
3) Current versions to order on the website (not the next batch that Darcy speaks of above) have gone back to the all 1000d Cordura exterior / 500d Cordura interior - note that the website writeup is not always correct.
4) The "next batch" that Darcy refers to will still have 1000d Cordura as the main exterior material. However, the bottom of the bag will be made instead of 1050d ballistic nylon same as the version in point 2 above (because we wanted it!). The interior will be Parapack as per point 2 as well.

I personally am really tempted to buy the "next batch" but my existing 2004 BB is still in fantastic shape .... !

To reference how the BB looks with differing levels of load, I like this article:

Imago Metrics: Go Bags & Go Kits- Brain Bag (http://www.imagometrics.com/GoBags/TB_BrnBg.htm)

I found this forum post for a Plum BB - http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/5259-spotted-vintage-brain-bag-collectible.html

Hope this helps

Cheers!

carl0
06-27-2014, 11:34 AM
<< And as a related question: Darcy announced some changes for the Brain Bag (http://forums.tombihn.com/just-r...ce-update.html it is the third paragraph from the bottom in Darcys first post). >>

Never realized that...thanks for pointing it out!

**hmmm.....decisions.....decisions......**

Ilkyway
06-27-2014, 11:46 AM
tpnl: thank you very much, that was exactly the information I was hoping for. I have seen pictures of your Brain Bag and thous where in fact the once that started me thinking about this pack. But I would like the parapack interior so I will have to wait if the next batch has a purple-version as well. I like the interiors as smooth as possible. But I have to say, I wish there was a bride parapack color for interiors. Although I came to compensate dark interiors with my guardion light hanging inside the bag so I can find everything easy.

Thanks again,
Ilkyway

RhoFro
06-27-2014, 02:08 PM
I like the interiors as smooth as possible. But I have to say, I wish there was a bride parapack color for interiors. Although I came to compensate dark interiors with my guardion light hanging inside the bag so I can find everything easy.

Sounds like you're looking for a Plum Brain Bag with an Olive parapack interior ~ now that would be interesting!

Mr Doode
07-01-2014, 10:36 AM
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4044/4574671547_4452eac4a6_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/getinmyhead/4574671547/)
San Francisco (https://www.flickr.com/photos/getinmyhead/4574671547/) by getinmyhead (https://www.flickr.com/people/getinmyhead/), on Flickr

I'm using tapatalk on my ipad so I don't know if I just posted a pic or a bunch of gibberish. If I posted a pic that color was called plum back in the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

elbennet
07-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Is there a really general timeline on the new Brain Bags??

Ilkyway
07-01-2014, 01:06 PM
I am not sure if I understood it right but I thought the next BBs to be made are the new style. So to my understanding the BBs on backorder right now will be the new once. Hopefully someone with more understanding/inside will comment on this.

Ilkyway

tpnl
07-01-2014, 02:27 PM
That is my understanding too. The next set of BB due in August will be the new setup - Cordura Exterior, Ballistic Nylon Bottom, Parapack Interior. Another way to tell is that the new versions of the BB will be more expensive - $190 vs $160.

But, I am not sure - if I order one of the ones currently showing on backorder whether it will be the new version or older all Cordura version.

Cheers!

Ilkyway
07-01-2014, 02:32 PM
tpnl are you considering getting a new BB? You hinted on that before. If so, may I ask for your reasons? Design-Update, Color Options, need for a second BB...? I am curios, I know. I hope it is okay to ask?

ncb4
07-07-2014, 06:30 AM
tpnl are you considering getting a new BB? You hinted on that before. If so, may I ask for your reasons? Design-Update, Color Options, need for a second BB...? I am curios, I know. I hope it is okay to ask?

I just ordered a Plum Brain Bag, @Ilkyway, so when it arrives next week I would be happy to take a photo of it for you. I'd never really thought the BB was for me; I prefer shoulder bags to backpacks. But I have an Indigo Synapse 19, which I've liked very much for short hikes to carry my camera gear. But it's not always quite large enough for me. I looked at the Burnt Orange Synapse 25, but it's actually two inches taller than the Brain Bag, and I wondered if the BB might be more comfortable for me to carry with its 18-inch height rather than the S25's 20-inch height. So I'm giving it a try; hope I like it.

Besides, I love purple, so the Plum called to me. And knowing that the price is going up $30 any day now spurred me to order!

~Nancy

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 07:32 AM
ncb4 that would be so great. I literally just got my first Plum Backpack (the Daylighter). Took pictures with my two bay-girls and am now sitting at my Laptop getting the pictures ready to post. I have to say the plum is gorges. I had a key-chain and a pouch in that color but was a bit afraid it might be too much in a backpack. But it is not and it looks great with the black trimming.

If you could add to Mr Doode picture that would be well appreciated!

Ilkyway

ncb4
07-07-2014, 07:27 PM
It would be my pleasure, @Ilkyway. It sounds like you and I both love the same colors: first Nordic, and now Plum. Do you like Aubergine as well? I have a few bags in that gorgeous color, too.

I just got a notice from UPS that the crew at Tom Bihn has already processed my order, so I'm hoping it will be here next Monday or Tuesday. I'll take photos as soon after that as I can.

~Nancy

Ilkyway[/QUOTE]

moriond
07-07-2014, 07:55 PM
ncb4 that would be so great. I literally just got my first Plum Backpack (the Daylighter). Took pictures with my two bay-girls and am now sitting at my Laptop getting the pictures ready to post. I have to say the plum is gorges. I had a key-chain and a pouch in that color but was a bit afraid it might be too much in a backpack. But it is not and it looks great with the black trimming.

If you could add to Mr Doode picture that would be well appreciated!

Ilkyway
@Ilkyway My first, beloved Tom Bihn backpack was the original Buzz in plum. Up until the time I got my Indigo Synapse, that bag was my EDC. In fact, until I saw Indigo, I was determined I would get the (then new) Synapse in plum. I'm feeling a bit guilty that I succumbed to ordering the Daylight Backpack in French Blue (after seeing @taminca's gorgeous pictures.) One of the questions I had was how the current shade of plum looks against Aubergine.

I avidly await your pictures!

I just got a notice from UPS that the crew at Tom Bihn has already processed my order, so I'm hoping it will be here next Monday or Tuesday. I'll take photos as soon after that as I can.

~Nancy

Nancy, the TB elves have been busy; I just also got my UPS shipping notice -- even though the DLBP was listed as being back ordered till August when I placed the order!

moriond

taminca
07-07-2014, 09:26 PM
One of the questions I had was how the current shade of plum looks against Aubergine. I avidly await your pictures!

Ditto! I have been wondering the same and am looking forward to @Ilkyway's photos!

ncb4
07-14-2014, 09:06 AM
Happy Monday, everyone. Happily, the UPS man came early today with my Plum Brain Bag. Hallelujah! So as promised, here are some photos of the bag, which I already love though I haven't had much time to play with it. [I'm returning from ten days away to be with my mother during back surgery, and you know how backed-up everything gets when you are away from your desk.]

I took the first photo alone, outdoors under a partly cloudy sky. This color seems fairly accurate to me, but to give everyone a comparison, I also took a photo next to my Aubergine Swift. They are definitely two distinct shades of purple, but I like them both a great deal, and think they coordinate. Which is good, because I plan to carry the BB along with my Aubergine Aeronaut.

I also have a Synapse 19 in Indigo, and I was afraid that the Brain Bag might be too big and bulky for me. But to my surprise, I found the BB instantly comfortable. In fact, I think I like the strap placement of the BB better than I do the S19. [Note: My Indigo S19 is a few years old, so it has the older strap placement. And for reference, I'm a female who is about 5'8" with relatively broad shoulders.]

When I've had more time to play with the BB, perhaps I'll post a more thorough review. But I wanted to get these photos up as soon as I could, for those people who are eager to place an order for a Plum version. Hope these photos help everyone make their decisions.

~Nancy

Ilkyway
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
First things first: I hope your mother recovered as planed? Everything went well?

Thank you so much for taking the time, and double so as you have a lot on your mind/desk right now, to take this pictures. What a fine looking backpack that is. This pictures help a lot and it is very considerate to take that second one with the Swift both for color-comparison and scale. I'd like to read more impressions of a woman using this backpack but all in good time. That you took the picture this fast is most appreciated.

Ilkyway

ncb4
07-14-2014, 09:30 AM
First things first: I hope your mother recovered as planed? Everything went well?

Thank you so much for taking the time, and double so as you have a lot on your mind/desk right now, to take this pictures. What a fine looking backpack that is. This pictures help a lot and it is very considerate to take that second one with the Swift both for color-comparison and scale. I'd like to read more impressions of a woman using this backpack but all in good time. That you took the picture this fast is most appreciated.

Ilkyway

You are so kind to ask about my mother. She faces a long recovery, but things are going well—though she turns 82 on Wednesday, she is already tooling along merrily with her walker, so she's up and about. In fact, they're moving her out of the hospital to an in-patient rehab center today for a couple of weeks of physical and occupational therapy.

And it was my pleasure to post the photos; I was delighted to do it. I always like to share the excitement of a new TB bag anyway with the family of folks who, I know, truly appreciate it. I will try to post my impressions of the BB in a few weeks, since that's when I plan to travel back to Virginia to help care for my mother. [Times like this you really appreciate having three sisters to share the load!]

But if you have any questions before then, @Ilkyway, please feel free to PM me and ask. I know you're trying to make a decision, and you may not want to wait that long. So please don't hesitate to ask me anything, and I'll try to get an answer for you.

~Nancy

Ilkyway
07-14-2014, 09:45 AM
That is good news, all of it. I think your mother is very glad, that she has you and your sisters.

As for me being in a hurry: I bought two Pilots just now (one for my husband and one for me) so it is not a bad thing for me, to take some time for this decision. And it is not as if I did not have a Tom Bihn Backpack in the house ;-)
But one thing is sure, after tpnl and maverick talked and photographed there Brain Bags up so well and now seeing yours in such a stunning color-combo there is definitively a Brain Bag in my future.
Maybe I should ask if there is a danger of plum selling out and not coming bag. I think I would not be very friendly with myself when I missed this one only because it took me so freakishly long to make up my mind about it.

Ilkyway

ncb4
07-14-2014, 09:47 AM
Maybe I should ask if there is a danger of plum selling out and not coming bag. I think I would not be very friendly with myself when I missed this one only because it took me so freakishly long to make up my mind about it.

Ilkyway

Yes, that's why I jumped on it and ordered the Plum BB. I didn't know whether or not it would be a color option when the new, $190 version of the BB was made, and I didn't want to miss out on the Plum. That's happened to me in the past with Nordic and Aubergine!

~Nancy

Darcy
07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

We were just talking Brain Bags! And then I saw your post, Ilkyway, and thought I should let you know: it's true that Plum is in danger of selling out. We're working on the new/next batch of Brain Bags right now and we didn't make Plum this time. We did make Burnt Orange, though…

jess
07-14-2014, 10:32 AM
We were just talking Brain Bags! And then I saw your post, Ilkyway, and thought I should let you know: it's true that Plum is in danger of selling out. We're working on the new/next batch of Brain Bags right now and we didn't make Plum this time. We did make Burnt Orange, though…

*covers ears in prep for Burnt Orange squees of joy*

Ilkyway
07-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Darcy, thank you for the heads up, now I can make an informed decision. Have to find tpnl's explanations of the upcoming changes and think about it for a moment.

Ilkyway
07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
Want to laugh a bit? I just did a full circle around the forum to find a post on the first page of this threat. There where so many different Brain Bag Threats I was looking into that I forgot it was here where all the answers are.

To my defense: I am simultaneously watching the Hitchhikers Guide through the Galaxy and the insanity of it seems to be leaking. Love it anyway.

ncb4
07-14-2014, 02:32 PM

Darcy, you've just made me very, very, very happy that I went ahead and ordered the Plum BB! Though Burnt Orange is calling my name as well...still hoping and crossing my fingers that there may be a Side Effect and/or Little Swift in Burnt Orange some day soon.

~Nancy

Ilkyway
07-15-2014, 12:19 PM
ncb4 your great pictures did it, the Brain Bag in plum is sold out. And I did think too long so I wont get one. But tonight I thought, if I get a steel one I can replace all the zipperpulls with pink once and than I can change thous pulls as the mood strikes. I still think you Brain Bag looks very striking but I had a Pilot delivered today and I have to slow down the order-rate a bit.

To sum it up: a Brain Bag it will be and yours is the prettiest I have seen so far but as it is not a top priority it has to wait and I will have to make do with the colors available by then. Thank you again and please tell us, how it performs in praxis. I am still interested in the womens look out on this huge Backpack.

Ilkyway

ncb4
07-15-2014, 03:46 PM
ncb4 your great pictures did it, the Brain Bag in plum is sold out. And I did think too long so I wont get one. But tonight I thought, if I get a steel one I can replace all the zipperpulls with pink once and than I can change thous pulls as the mood strikes. I still think you Brain Bag looks very striking but I had a Pilot delivered today and I have to slow down the order-rate a bit.

To sum it up: a Brain Bag it will be and yours is the prettiest I have seen so far but as it is not a top priority it has to wait and I will have to make do with the colors available by then. Thank you again and please tell us, how it performs in praxis. I am still interested in the womens look out on this huge Backpack.

Ilkyway

So sorry you missed the Plum; can't believe it sold out so quickly! But I know that whatever color Brain Bag is available when you are ready to order it will be beautiful; and you're right about adding different color cord pulls. I have several colors of paracord and like to switch them around, too!

adalangdon
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Just in case there are folks who haven't noticed-- the new BBs are out! Includes Orange and French Blue :-)

adalangdon
07-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Right, so my 3rd-hand Kelly BB arrived this afternoon. Of course, this meant that I /had/ to make a detour to the post office after a long day to pick it up! For the benefit of small folks like myself (5'3"-ish), here are some pics of what a BB looks like with my usual school loadout. It is damned heavy, but the BB is one of the most comfortable bags ever. The shoulder straps feel like sofas. Aaaahhhh. <3

Front loadout: dental kit on top, sunnies in a case on your left, highlighter pouch and pencil case on your right.

First pocket (from the front, that is) loadout: Two textbooks (2" and 1.5" thick), massive planner that I'm still using because it was a free gift, KTP with earbuds and iPod Touch, Q-Kit with iPhone charger and today's newly acquired freebie thumb drive.

Second pocket loadout: 13" laptop in a slightly too-big case, Snake Charmer, SE with some essentials, TSS with a spare t-shirt (in case the weather gets /really/ hot) and foldable umbrella.

Random picture of my Coyote Q-Kit. I'm hoping we'll see Coyote Cordura one day!

adalangdon
07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
I suspect this is what people really want to know. How does it look on a somewhat shrimpy 5'3" female? Here you go.

Answer: Not bloody bad! It looks good to me. Then again, I've carried much larger backpacks before, so what looks fine to me may look ridic to someone used to small packs. (Cardinal CP says "Sorry for photobombing!".)

Conclusion: I love this bag, and will probably use it for school (occasionally) and the very few short trips that I make overseas to visit family. It's clearly built for dealing with very heavy loads. For the short folks, it looks pretty good if you cinch it down as much you can. However, you'll notice that my usual loadout leaves a lot of unused vertical space. You can expect a much more significant "turtle effect" if you're packing it to the max. Would I buy another BB? Well, it depends on how much use this one sees. A Plum BB with a ballistic bottom would be a dream for me-- I am quite rough with bags that are meant to take a knocking, and I do wish mine had the triangle clip. Plus, the main compartments could do with more 'O' ring goodness.

Side note: I think this BB is from '06/'07. It has the following features: non-detachable waist straps, treason tag, and shiny 'O' rings. Instinct tells me this came out right after they transitioned to the grey TB logo label, but would appreciate more info and options :)

ncb4
08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by double-posting: if so, mea culpa. But in the Daylight thread I had posted a photo of my "kangaroo" Brain Bag, so I thought I'd also copy it here, for those folks interested in a Brain Bag who might not otherwise stumble across the pictures in that other thread.

I am traveling to the mountains of Virginia next week to take care of my mom after surgery, and I plan to take my Plum Brain Bag and stuff it to the gills with non-clothes items, primarily lots of electronics like my Macbook Air, iPad Air, Kindle, Fuji xe-2 with lenses and accessories, etc. I am planning to make day trips while I'm there to cafes where I will sip chai lattes and pretend to get some work done. I went ahead and pre-packed my brand new Black Dyneema Daylight for that, and rather than unpack it, I thought, why not simply place it in one of the cavernous compartments of my BB instead? That way it's quick and easy to load and unload. The Daylight, even fully packed, fit easily.

You'll also note that I added split rings to the Cache rail loops. I don't have a Cache, so I don't need them for that. And the Plum Brain Bag that I got just a few weeks ago was one of the last of the "old school" models: the ones with fewer o-rings. So I added four split rings that I had lying around the house [that's why they don't all match] and I can use them to attach all sorts of Key Straps, pouches, and carabiners.

Here is with my Solar 3DCO and a long Solar Key Strap. This bag is holding first aid supplies.

And here are the reflective paracord zipper pulls I added. I've also got a Sternum Whistle and a Guardian Light.

terayon
08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
You'll also note that I added split rings to the Cache rail loops. I don't have a Cache, so I don't need them for that. And the Plum Brain Bag that I got just a few weeks ago was one of the last of the "old school" models: the ones with fewer o-rings. So I added four split rings that I had lying around the house [that's why they don't all match] and I can use them to attach all sorts of Key Straps, pouches, and carabiners.

I did that too! Only I used triangular snap hooks, which allows me to clip stuff directly in without a keystrap. I now effectively have SIX O-RINGS in the main compartment of my S19 - even for me that seems like it should be enough. ;)

Kippiann
08-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Wow, that is a gorgeous bag!

ncb4
08-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I did that too! Only I used triangular snap hooks, which allows me to clip stuff directly in without a keystrap. I now effectively have SIX O-RINGS in the main compartment of my S19 - even for me that seems like it should be enough. ;)

That is such a cool idea, @terayon. Where did you get the triangular snap hooks?

icebeng
08-05-2014, 06:15 PM
That is such a cool idea, @terayon. Where did you get the triangular snap hooks?

May I help?
Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0560.html)
There are 2 types, 1" and 1.5".

ncb4
08-05-2014, 06:20 PM
May I help?
Parts - Replacement or extra parts for your bag - TOM BIHN (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0560.html)
There are 2 types, 1" and 1.5".

I feel like I should hit myself in the forehead and go, "Duh!" Thanks so much, @iceberg.