PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos

taminca
07-03-2014, 04:27 PM
Received my French Blue Daylight Backpack earlier this afternoon and want to share some photos and impressions. In a word:

AWESOME!

It is exactly what I've been looking for in a simple daypack -- a more contoured and sturdy pack than the PCBP but light, comfortable and just the right size to "nestle" in other TB bags.

First, photos of the DLBP next to the PCBP (WF/TS):

The DLBP is slightly smaller, more contoured and has waist straps.

Now here's my FAVORITE part...

The DLBP fits perfectly and flatly inside the Aeronaut 45! This is what I had most hoped for. Now I can store it in my A45 while one-bagging it through airports and on transpo. And have a daypack when I arrive at my destination.

It will also fit inside the Western Flyer, in case you are wondering.

More in next post...

taminca
07-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Next is the DLBP nestled inside the Tri-Star...

Perfect fit in the back compartment, as shown here:

It also fits in the compartment that holds the TS's backpack straps, as shown here:

And here is the DLBP inside the TS middle compartment:

Examples of some uses in the next post...

Edited to add: BTW the DLBP does fit in the back pocket of the A45 that holds the backpack straps, but because that back pocket is not rectangular but has a bit of an hour-glass shape, the fit is not as smooth as in the Tri-Star. The DLBP bunches up a little in the A45 backpack straps pocket.

taminca
07-03-2014, 04:36 PM
My first test for the Daylight is to serve as my gym bag. It will need to hold my exercise clothing (sorry for the neon green shirt that did not show up well in the photo), towels, shoes, water bottle, and Side Effect with miscellaneous (iPhone, iPod, earbuds, soap, shampoo, brush, ID, keys, etc.). Here are all that spread out next to the DLBP:

And everything fits. I decided to put the shoes in the outer, slanted pocket to keep it separate from my clothes and water bottle:

More uses in next post...

Mausermama
07-03-2014, 04:40 PM
Hmm... I have a Western Flyer! I bet my Nordic would look lovely against the burnt orange!

gochicken
07-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Super helpful photos, as usual, taminca! Thank you for posting!

eWalker
07-03-2014, 04:45 PM
@taminca Do you think we can place a 3D packing cube on upper part of the bag like on those posts on S19?

taminca
07-03-2014, 04:46 PM
My next test is to use the DLBP for a short outing of sightseeing or hiking. It will need to hold my iPad, Side Effect (with iPhone, wallet, keys, misc.), a medium-weight jacket, water bottle and a CQPC with snacks on one side (Larabars, of course, and an apple) and sunscreen, first aid supplies, etc.. on the other side. Here are before and after packing photos:

For the last two tests, I did not take an "after" photo, but can say that everything fits inside the DLBP and I was able to carry it very comfortably. First, I packed it with my emergency/evacuation supplies, which consists of water, rations (which look absolutely unappetizing!), first-aid supplies and a hand-crank flashlight and radio. (I learned from this that I need to greatly improve my emergency kit!)

My last test pack of the DLBP was as a beach bag, storing the largest beach towel I have, sandals, water bottle, hat, snacks (again, Larabars), iPod and earbuds, iPad, Side Effect with iPhone, wallet, sunscreen, etc...

Well, the Daylight Backpack is a hit as far as I am concerned. Indeed, I will soon be ordering another one. Way to go, TB!

Edited to add: I noted that the Side Effect fits PERFECTLY in the top pocket inside the Daylight Backpack, where an O-ring and strap is conveniently placed. (Coincidently, I'm sure).

taminca
07-03-2014, 04:52 PM
@taminca Do you think we can place a 3D packing cube on upper part of the bag like on those posts on S19?

eWalker, I'm not sure what you mean by "like on those posts on S19." If you mean inside the DLBP in the top pocket, then definitely yes, since it can hold a Side Effect. If you can give me a link to those posts, I'll check them out and let you know.

eWalker
07-03-2014, 05:06 PM
eWalker, I'm not sure what you mean by "like on those posts on S19." If you mean inside the DLBP in the top pocket, then definitely yes, since it can hold a Side Effect. If you can give me a link to those posts, I'll check them out and let you know.

Thanks @taminca!

I was thinking on something on the line of @moriond post on Going marsupial tb bags fit inside other tb bags (http://forums.tombihn.com/thoughts-tom-bihn-bags/3903-going-marsupial-tb-bags-fit-inside-other-tb-bags.html#post64223), but since there only one o-ring on the top of the inside comparment and no webbings, I was thinking of @scribe post on Wirecutter Guide to traveling well (http://forums.tombihn.com/travel-tips/7509-wirecutter-guide-traveling-well.html#post63413), just using a shorter keystrap.

What do you think?

My goal is to free the inside pocket for something else!

RhoFro
07-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Thanks so much for the photos! Really helpful to see it side by side with the PCBP. I just bought 2 since they're limited run in the 400D [anyone interested in a bag swap for a S-TS PCBP, used once - currently unavailable?] so I am glad to see I'm not missing out by passing on the Daylight.

I would say 'unless Nordic' but I just overdosed on Nordic before it went extinct. Maybe 'unless parapack' since I'm a new convert to pp!

BTW, I was sent fabric samples on the parapack around Christmas and went 'meh'. Totally didn't do it justice. Curious again, I went for the double organizer and was hooked; now I have navy, olive and steel pp items and it's awesome. I initially felt the same way about dyneema - couldn't deal with the busy check pattern but tested the waters and now have a ton of it. Sometimes you have to sample and not go by website impressions.

Can anyone confirm what Coyote is? Not sure if it's parapack or a ballistic trim on the Founder's, now a bag option with the Night Flight. Please don't say parapack :) Resisting NF successfully.

Hawaii
07-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Taminca-
Thanks for your photos. Your ups driver likes you better! It is 5:20pm. Here. Still waiting for Mr. UPS!!!!

eWalker
07-03-2014, 05:27 PM
Can anyone confirm what Coyote is? Not sure if it's parapack or a ballistic trim on the Founder's, now a bag option with the Night Flight. Please don't say parapack :) Resisting NF successfully.

U.S. high tenacity 1050 denier ballistic nylon

Have you visited Skookum Dog (http://www.skookumdog.com/)?

luvdabags
07-03-2014, 05:27 PM

On the Night Flight thread, Darcy posted a pic of it along with the Aubergine in process of being sewn together. Appears to me to be the same texture, so I suspect ballistic.

taminca
07-03-2014, 05:44 PM
I was thinking on something on the line of @moriond post on Going marsupial tb bags fit inside other tb bags (http://forums.tombihn.com/thoughts-tom-bihn-bags/3903-going-marsupial-tb-bags-fit-inside-other-tb-bags.html#post64223), but since there only one o-ring on the top of the inside comparment and no webbings, I was thinking of @scribe post on Wirecutter Guide to traveling well (http://forums.tombihn.com/travel-tips/7509-wirecutter-guide-traveling-well.html#post63413), just using a shorter keystrap.

@eWalker, I was not able to get the clip through the o-ring or through the fabric loop holding the o-ring in order to duplicate @scribe's method. The best I could do was to use two short key straps, shown below:

Another possibility is to use the 2 o-rings on the sides and double carabiners, as shown below:

Don't know if that answers your question.

icebeng
07-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Thanks @taminca!

What do you think?

My goal is to free the inside pocket for something else!

Aren't there o-rings on the left and right as well? They should be perfect for a Side Effect or Organizer Cube.

ETA: redundant post lol
Taminca, that's exactly what I meant!

taminca
07-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Taminca-
Thanks for your photos. Your ups driver likes you better! It is 5:20pm. Here. Still waiting for Mr. UPS!!!!

@Hawaii, my "trick" is to redirect my UPS packages to a nearby UPS Store (just a few blocks away from my house). I've learned that they receive their deliveries in the morning, usually by 11am. I then receive an email (or I repeatedly refresh the UPS tracking webpage to see) when the package arrives there and is ready for me to pick up. And if it's a TB package, I drop everything and rush there immediately! You might want to check your nearby UPS Stores and see what their typical UPS delivery times are.

eWalker
07-03-2014, 05:54 PM
@eWalker, I was not able to get the clip through the o-ring or through the fabric loop holding the o-ring in order to duplicate @scribe's method. The best I could do was to use two short key straps, shown below:

Another possibility is to use the 2 o-rings on the sides and double carabiners, as shown below:

Don't know if that answers your question.

What about putting a double carabiner or a tactical link on the top o-ring? Then passing the key strap through it?

taminca
07-03-2014, 05:59 PM
What about putting a double carabiner or a tactical link on the top o-ring? Then passing the key strap through it?

Just tried that and it works with a long key strap and the result is very similar to using 2 short key straps without the double carabiner. Using one short key strap and a double carabiner does not work since the key strap is not long enough to reach the o-rings on the sides of the pouch.

Edited: @eWalker, I tried again with the short key strap and was able to make it work. It's very tightly stretched across the pouch, squishing it a little, but can be done.

eWalker
07-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Just tried that and it works with a long key strap and the result is very similar to using 2 short key straps without the double carabiner. Using one short key strap and a double carabiner does not work since the key strap is not long enough to reach the o-rings on the sides of the pouch.

You are the best!! I was dead curious to try this and still had to wait a week to receive my DLBP!!

Thanks @taminca, you helped a lot!!

taminca
07-03-2014, 06:11 PM
You are the best!! I was dead curious to try this and still had to wait a week to receive my DLBP!!

Thanks @taminca, you helped a lot!!

You are most welcome! Do see the edit to my last note. Using a short key strap does work if you don't mind squishing the 3D pouch a bit.

eWalker
07-03-2014, 06:26 PM
You are most welcome! Do see the edit to my last note. Using a short key strap does work if you don't mind squishing the 3D pouch a bit.

Even better!!

This will be very helpful to compartmentalize further using the organizers we already have and making it easier to transfer stuff between bags!!

Perfect!! Thanks again @taminca!! :D

moriond
07-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Well, the Daylight Backpack is a hit as far as I am concerned. Indeed, I will soon be ordering another one. Way to go, TB!

Edited to add: I noted that the Side Effect fits PERFECTLY in the top pocket inside the Daylight Backpack, where an O-ring and strap is conveniently placed. (Coincidently, I'm sure).
@taminca You are, without a doubt, one of the most dangerous enablers on these forums. coming on top of the pictures @NWhikergal posted earlier today, this was the final straw. Some of the extra details (such as fitting in the backpack strap pockets of the Tri-Star, as well as inside the middle compartment) and showing the CQPC (which I also have in Solar), etc. loaded up in the bag, plus Lärabars scattered through your pictures, really finished the job off. Aargh! I was hoping to recover a bit since I already placed my order for the A30 in Aubergine. But you've convinced me that the DLBP will also enhance the use of my Tri-Star and Western Flyer beyond what the 400d PCBP offers, enough to justify yet another Backpack! (Not to mention the earlier pictures showing the DLBP in the Smart Alec).

BTW, I was sent fabric samples on the paTirapack around Christmas and went 'meh'. Totally didn't do it justice. Curious again, I went for the double organizer and was hooked; now I have navy, olive and steel pp items and it's awesome. I initially felt the same way about dyneema - couldn't deal with the busy check pattern but tested the waters and now have a ton of it. Sometimes you have to sample and not go by website impressions.

@RhoFro As others have said, Coyote is Ballisitic Nylon. It's also the color that has been used with the trims of the new Parapack bags like the Founder's Briefcase and Guide's Pack, so I can say that it looks great with Navy and Olive Parapack. I wish they would use the Coyote colored mesh instead of black for some of the mesh organizer pouch options. As it is, I've been using a Mini Mesh Coyote Organizer Pouch (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/coyoteorganizerpouch.html) in the front zippered pocket of my Side Effect to hold Double Carabiner Clips and other such small items.

I like Parapack for accessories, and I also have the Lead's Pocket from the Guide's Pack in Navy, but on larger bags I prefer the texture and feel of 400d Dyneema, which is not easily from experience with the 200d version of the fabric (or from pictures). I also really like 500d Cordura options for the Double Organizer Pouches, especially for using papers in the larger (Medium Double Organizer Pouch) option.YMMV.

moriond

RhoFro
07-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Someone posted on the Forum a lovely Olive pp Lead's Pocket as a Brain Bag accessory so that will be my next item. I'm sending back a few items that are currently unavailable since I've already exchanged for color so if anyone is looking for a non wasabi shop bag or steel BB, they'll be in the mail next week.

Hawaii
07-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Yeah! My daylight dyneema bag finally arrived !
Taminca has done a beautiful job with her photos, but ilkyway, these are for you since you can never have too many!

First of all, it definitely fits into the WF. it is just slightly smaller than a large WF packing cube due to the curved top.

Also, for the WF owners, the small WF packing cube is a perfect fir in the bottom half of the daylight. I laid mine on top for you to see in the second pic. Bad color balance due to darkness. Will take some more pix tomorrow of the daylight in Daylight!

Hawaii
07-03-2014, 09:33 PM
one more photo. I did actually order the Daylight bag for DH as his "personal" carry-on. Here is a quick shot, not fully loaded.
FYI he is about 5'9".

taminca
07-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Yeah! Also, for the WF owners, the small WF packing cube is a perfect fir in the bottom half of the daylight. I laid mine on top for you to see in the second pic.

Thanks for this info, @Hawaii. I do not have any WF packing cube but might get one now. And so glad the UPS delivery finally came!

eWalker
07-03-2014, 11:29 PM
Someone posted on the Forum a lovely Olive pp Lead's Pocket as a Brain Bag accessory so that will be my next item. I'm sending back a few items that are currently unavailable since I've already exchanged for color so if anyone is looking for a non wasabi shop bag or steel BB, they'll be in the mail next week.
@RhoFro What is the color and size of the shop bag?

eWalker
07-04-2014, 12:04 AM
one more photo. I did actually order the Daylight bag for DH as his "personal" carry-on. Here is a quick shot, not fully loaded.
FYI he is about 5'9".

Thanks! It always helps to see it on use!!

:)

monkeylady
07-04-2014, 12:11 AM
@taminica, you have totally outdone yourself with these posts. What a resource you are to us all in this forum!

eWalker
07-04-2014, 12:27 AM
@taminica, I was revisiting your post after some sleep, deep breaths and chasing my inner balance (gave up on the peace for today)!

You really did an outstanding work and you did it so fast!! I just love your pragmatic approach to EDC uses of accessories and bags, you have reviewed so far.

I am both curious (and kind of afraid) of what to expect when you decide to turn your attention to the travel bags!! :)

Congrats on your beautiful new bag!!

taminca
07-04-2014, 06:19 AM
@taminca You are, without a doubt, one of the most dangerous enablers on these forums.

I learned from the best enablers here, including YOU, @moriond, with your amazing recall of various discussions, facts, trivia and anecdotes! And not just for TB bags and accessories... Thanks to these Forums, I was introduced to and am now hopelessly addicted to Larabars, Lush soaps, Salux wash cloths, Etsy, and others. And I keep coming back for more!

you have totally outdone yourself with these posts. What a resource you are to us all in this forum!

*Blush*. Thanks, @monkeylady. This Forum is actually the first and only one in which I have participated. I started as a lurker for months as I researched TB bags. Dipped my toes in with a few small posts here and there after I made my first purchase (an S19). Then I bought my beloved Imago from you, made my first "big" post as I packed for New Orleans, and quickly discovered how welcoming, helpful and engaged the Forum members here are. And I have gained so much from everyone here -- travel and packing tips, product introductions, smiles and laughs, and most importantly reminders of our shared humanity despite geographical and other differences. So a big THANK YOU to all!

I am both curious (and kind of afraid) of what to expect when you decide to turn your attention to the travel bags!! :)

Ooooh.... I haven't thought about travel bags, @eWalker. Now you have intrigued and challenged me : )

Ilkyway
07-04-2014, 06:20 AM
... but ilkyway, these are for you since you can never have too many!

That's the spirit!

Ilkyway

PS: And I am right there with you about taminca having done a beautifully job!

NWhikergal
07-04-2014, 07:10 AM
@Taminca, I bow to your creativity in depicting different scenarios! :) Thank you for sharing another set of great photos. I have now comfortably carried my SE in the upper Daylight pocket thanks to your post, and you have likely enabled more TB purchases with your past photo sets.

Missy
07-04-2014, 08:36 AM
@Taminca, I'll have to agree with NWhikergal on your pictures. Now I'm wanting the Daylight even though I just placed an order. This forum may ending up costing me a lot of money. (But it's well worth it😊)

gochicken
07-04-2014, 10:03 AM
Thanks for more great photos of the DLBP, Hawaii. It is really helpful to see it next to the WF and WF packing cubes.

Hawaii
07-04-2014, 11:48 AM
More photos.
1. here it is inside/out. Appears to be lined with steel dyneema
top pocket only goes down part way. Lower pocket goes to bottom of bag.6946

Hawaii
07-04-2014, 11:59 AM
As I said earlier, this is intended for DH "personal item". First pic shows what his minimum items are:
1. pacsafe 100 that is his EDC containing dpi pens, pill case, comb, iPhone 5, reading glasses, and mini flashlight.
(fyi keys and wallet are usually in his pant or jacket pocket)
2. ipad air
3. bose noise-cancelling headphones
4.light jacket

everything fit in with room to spare! so he can add his wallet to the bag for going through security.

this should give an idea of depth of top pocket area:

I placed the headphones in the top pocket, the pac safe and jacket in the main area, and the iPad air in the outside pocket.

Note the headphone case fit either horizontally or vertically in top pocket.
THe iPad air (or iPad 2) did fit horizontally in the top pocket, but quite snuggly. It easily fit vertically.

RhoFro
07-04-2014, 12:02 PM
@RhoFro What is the color and size of the shop bag?

I have 2 spare Large, Iberian & UV. Exchanged them for Nordic.

Hawaii
07-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Ok a few more "what fits" pix:
not sure if anyone would want to, but the co-pilot would easily fit.

I actually have quite a few eagle creek packing cubes as I know many other Bihnions may have.

First few pix show full size original type cube. It did fit horizontally in the bottom of the bag if not completely full. It easily fit vertically.

and specter half cube

itsablur
07-04-2014, 12:14 PM
More photos.
top pocket only goes down part way. Lower pocket goes to bottom of bag.
Are the two pockets about the same depth, even though they are staggered?

Ilkyway
07-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Hawai your pictures are great. You and taminca make the time till mine will arrive (hopefully on Monday) much more bearable. I think this is the first time that my TBAS is event to be called bearable.

Your pictures help getting a feeling about the Daylither. I think it might be an overkill using the Co-Pilot as a bag-in-bag here, but I am happy to see, that I could. I use it sometimes in my larger Backpacks in that way and knowing that I could (if in a hurry) change backpacks fast and easy by just transfairing the Co-Pilot: what is not to like?

Thanks again,
Ilkyway

Hawaii
07-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Are the two pockets about the same depth, even though they are staggered?

The bottom pocket is deeper. I measured from top of opening to bottom of pocket. Bottom pocket about 10 inches deep. Top pocket 8 inches deep. Obviously something taller can be in either pocket and extend above opening.

eWalker
07-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the information on the pockets. I was under the impression that both pockets went all way down like the pockets from TS!

Warm regards...

eWalker
07-04-2014, 07:12 PM
Ooooh.... I haven't thought about travel bags, @eWalker. Now you have intrigued and challenged me : )
LOL I will be following closely your posts @taminca! !

Your ability to work with multiple scenarios is admirable!

From what I have seen you do with a single pouch, I would love to see what you would do with a bag like the NFTD that have packing cubes & dividers plus all the existing pouches, sacks and organizers for you to play with!

:cool:

haraya
07-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Blog post (http://www.tombihn.com/blog/introducing-aeronaut-30-four-designs)

"We want to point out a design feature we’re quite proud of: shingled internal pouches/compartments that, when packed with two pieces of clothing, say, a shell jacket and a fleece or sweater, effectively create a padded back panel."

Thanks for the information on the pockets. I was under the impression that both pockets went all way down like the pockets from TS!

Warm regards...

taminca
07-04-2014, 08:08 PM
From what I have seen you do with a single pouch, I would love to see what you would do with a bag like the NFTD that have packing cubes & dividers plus all the existing pouches, sacks and organizers for you to play with!

As it happens... I have a pre-order in for an NFTD :)

Missy
07-04-2014, 08:20 PM
6981 My dog is even worried about my Bihnitis!

vivelly
07-04-2014, 09:29 PM
Your dog looks like its saying "Dont touch it, its mine!!!" :)

tpnl
07-04-2014, 11:28 PM
@taminca - what is the width of the DLBP at the top compared to the bottom. Also, are the dimensions listed on the website accurate compared to the backpack you received?

Cheers!

Moose
07-05-2014, 04:24 AM
Missy, I love your couch.

Initially the DLBP carried zero appeal for me. However, after seeing these great photos I'm starting to rethink it.
Moose

Missy
07-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Missy, I love your couch.

Initially the DLBP carried zero appeal for me. However, after seeing these great photos I'm starting to rethink it.
Moose

That's how I was. Then the photos.... I kept looking and looking and my fingers just had a mind of their own. They seemed to force me to the Tom Bihn site on my phone, right in the middle of the 4th of July cookout.

taminca
07-05-2014, 05:52 AM
@taminca - what is the width of the DLBP at the top compared to the bottom. Also, are the dimensions listed on the website accurate compared to the backpack you received?

@tpnl, the dimensions are accurate for length and width (the first 2 measurements). For the third, which would be depth, I think it would depends on how fully packed the DLBP is. Yes, it can expand to 5 inches. When I just measure the depth of an empty DLBP from seam to seam, it is about 3 inches.

At the most narrow part of its top, the DLBP is about 8 inches across. When I measure where the right top of the outside slanted zipper is located, the width there is about 9.5 inches. At the left bottom of the slanted zipper, it is 11.5 inches across. And at the bottom of the bag, it is very close to 12 inches across (11.8 according to the measurement on the webpage).

HTH

moriond
07-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Moose
@Moose I wouldn't say this bag had zero appeal for me, but I wanted to see whether the internal structuring of the pockets really made it a more flexible option as a backpack than the PCBPs given that I really like to carry the Synapse (either 19 or 25) for my EDC. I knew, from the dimensions relative to thise of the PCBP for Tri-Star/WF, that the DLBP would fit into travel bags like the Western Flyer and Tri-Star, but I didn't know how well the internal structure of pockets would work. @taminca's picture/post of slipping the DLBP into the back pocket for the Backpack straps of the Tri-Star was also a surprise; I'm curious how well this works for the Western Flyer (with Backpack straps), too, and whether this is easier to do with the 409d Dyneema version.

@Taminca, I bow to your creativity in depicting different scenarios! :) Thank you for sharing another set of great photos. I have now comfortably carried my SE in the upper Daylight pocket thanks to your post, and you have likely enabled more TB purchases with your past photo sets.

@NWhikergal I'll just add a post here that, in addition to the great posts in your thread showing how the DLBP fitted with your Smart Alec,and the detailed pictures of all the O-Rings, I loved the additional pictures showing how the bag looked when worn, especially since I'm about your height and build. (Must say that I miss your cat in the pictures, but it's easier to see the way the bag works this way.)

More photos.
top pocket only goes down part way. Lower pocket goes to bottom of bag.
This inside out picture was extremely helpful!

As I said earlier, this is intended for DH "personal item". First pic shows what his minimum items are:
1. pacsafe 100 that is his EDC containing dpi pens, pill case, comb, iPhone 5, reading glasses, and mini flashlight.
(fyi keys and wallet are usually in his pant or jacket pocket)
2. ipad air
3. bose noise-cancelling headphones
4.light jacket

everything fit in with room to spare! so he can add his wallet to the bag for going through security.

this should give an idea of depth of top pocket area:

I placed the headphones in the top pocket, the pac safe and jacket in the main area, and the iPad air in the outside pocket.

Note the headphone case fit either horizontally or vertically in top pocket.
THe iPad air (or iPad 2) did fit horizontally in the top pocket, but quite snuggly. It easily fit vertically.

[QUOTE=Hawaii;70523]Ok a few more "what fits" pix:
not sure if anyone would want to, but the co-pilot would easily fit.

I actually have quite a few eagle creek packing cubes as I know many other Bihnions may have.

First few pix show full size original type cube. It did fit horizontally in the bottom of the bag if not completely full. It easily fit vertically.

and specter half cube

@Hawaii I've stripped out a lot of the helpful pictures in the quoted reply, but these "what fits" pictures are great -- especially carrying headsets. As for the Eagle Creek and Tom Bihn Packing cubes in these bags, I've been thinking that we should have a whole separate thread recapping the various packing cube and sleeve combinations that fit in various bags, since I also went through this exercise for the Pilot. And there's a lot of information (and pictures) about this for different bags, but it's scattered around the forums. for example, I knew that the Small Western Flyer packing cube (mentioned in one of your earlier posts) would fit in that section of the DLBP because of the sizing design for the WF, but it's probably worth noting that this packing cube can also fit exactly into the back pocket of the Co-Pilot and into the Little Swift, for example. (In the case of the Co-Pilot, it's easier to use the all-fabric version of the small Western Flyer packing cube, because it slides in and out more easily than the version with the mesh. And while I can't imagine needing to switch this into my Little Swift, where it fits neatly but would take up most of the bag, I could put at least two full outfits -- light jacket, skirt, top, and dress -- inside this and carry it. I also particularly make use of the Eagle Creek Specter II cubes and have found it really useful to know how these fit into other bags (like the Imago) when transferring items.

And thanks, too, to your husband for providing another picture of what the DLBP looks like worn on a taller person.

Everyone has done a great job with the DLBP!

moriond

tpnl
07-05-2014, 08:03 AM
@tpnl, the dimensions are accurate for length and width (the first 2 measurements). For the third, which would be depth, I think it would depends on how fully packed the DLBP is. Yes, it can expand to 5 inches. When I just measure the depth of an empty DLBP from seam to seam, it is about 3 inches.

At the most narrow part of its top, the DLBP is about 8 inches across. When I measure where the right top of the outside slanted zipper is located, the width there is about 9.5 inches. At the left bottom of the slanted zipper, it is 11.5 inches across. And at the bottom of the bag, it is very close to 12 inches across (11.8 according to the measurement on the webpage).

HTH

Thanks @taminca! I wanted to see what size of laptop case it might fit. It looks like the max size would be perhaps a 13 / 14" laptop. I love the pictures - the amazing French Blue color, the bag in bag options and the hanging accessories from O-Rings. I like the 2 side O-Rings and the S-binders you use with them.

@Hawaii - great photos with your EDC stuff and the inside out view - like a packing cube. The pictures of how it looks on yourself are also very helpful. It really shows what can fit in your bag and how it would look. BTW - does the Co-Pilot fit in horizontally or just vertically?

Cheers!

NWhikergal
07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I thought I would add a couple of size comparative photos of the DLBP vs S19, so that the S19 owners can visualize better. I have the DLBP packed somewhat full vs a moderately (not maxed out) S19. The DLBP is taller, but the S19 can expand more in depth with the tailored extra pockets in the front. In some ways the DLBP reminds me a bit of the Smart Alec in terms of its choose your own internal organization possibilities, though there is lots of room for creativity with the pouch system. Note: it is possible to fit a PCSB horizontally in the bottom of the DLBP. Some items that one might think would fit in the top pocket of the DLBP work better vertically than horizontally (see @Hawaii's earlier comment about ipad air) due to the tapering at the top of the pack (and also my attempt with a trade paperback). I do think that the DLBP feels like it fits me (5'3" person) in a more tailored way than the PCBP due to its more tapered shape, though people of larger or more muscular stature might be well served by either equally well. One other consideration regarding the DLBP vs PCBP...since the PCBP unzips all the way open vs the half zip of the DLBP, some people may find the PCBP easier to immediately organize and access, depending on organizational preferences. Just a few more thoughts for consideration!

taminca
07-05-2014, 11:00 AM
I do think that the DLBP feels like it fits me (5'3" person) in a more tailored way than the PCBP due to its more tapered shape, though people of larger or more muscular stature might be well served by either equally well. One other consideration regarding the DLBP vs PCBP...since the PCBP unzips all the way open vs the half zip of the DLBP, some people may find the PCBP easier to immediately organize and access, depending on organizational preferences. Just a few more thoughts for consideration!

Excellent observations, @NWhikergal! I am 5'3" also and find that the DLBP fits me so well that the unused and still-tagged PCBP could be taking a trip back to Seattle since the main reason I bought it is for the backpack feature... and because it is Nordic, which might be just enough to warrant keeping : )

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 07:59 AM
So I had promised to show how the Daylight Bapckpack fits my two baby-Girls: the blond one is 7 years old and (today) 138 cm, and the brunette is 5 years old and (today) 118 cm. Thoughs hights are a bit over average due to there parents being a bit on the tall side. Both girls claim that the backpack fits just fine and could they have this one right away? But I think my youngest is a bit small for it. You can see the hip-belt sitting on her legs. On my 7 year old the backpack sits fine. She walked a bit through the garden with it and said everything fits perfect. But here are the pictures so see for yourself: Aparantly there is a 5 picture file limit. So here is the 5 year old:

and the other girls comes in the next post...

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
...and here comes her sister: 7 years old and 137 cm (as mentioned in the other post)

As for my impressions: I like it a lot. I am not sure if I would taken the PCBPs for shopping. To the beach, why not but probably not into the city. But this one I can totally see at quite a lot occasions with me. I have to do a little playing around with it, to get how to best pack it, but the layout is quite genius in its lightness and organisation. The Plum looks very good. I had said it for aubergine and it goes for plum too: the black trimming goes very well with it. Last but not least I love the many O-Rings on it.

Ilkyway

icebeng
07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
I think there is only one question here.

Are you going to get them different colored ones so that it's easy to tell whose is whose, or will you get 2 more in Plum so you 3 girls can have matching DLBPs? ^.^

ETA: sorry, 3 more! In case your husband feels left out :P

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 08:35 AM
icebeng: My husband is looking with puppy eyes at my S25. But he wants to show me what self-control is and waits a few days more till ordering.

The question of color is not easy in fact. Both girls are heartfelt purple-lovers. Maybe it has to be plum but I have to find a way to distinguish them. I am thinking maybe something like dorayme did with her Cafe Bag (I like it a lot dorayme!). Well I have to think about it a bit.

Ilkyway

bchaplin
07-07-2014, 08:54 AM
What beautiful girls you have! Love the photos.
I do think the backpack is a bit big for kids that size. I have bought my nieces (who are younger), backpacks sized specifically for their age group, and even they were big.
If they like wearing them, however, who cares?

icebeng
07-07-2014, 08:56 AM
@llkyway
I wanted to wait till my credit card's bill came in before pulling the trigger on the DLBP. This was on last Friday. I wanted one in French Blue.
Tell your husband: self control is -> "(On Backorder until Late August)" T_T.......

I'll love to hear what colors you all chose later on, both for the DLBPs and S25!

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 09:05 AM
bchaplin: they do have kid-sized backpacks. BUT they are just for kids. They want to have what Mummy has. (I remember having the same feeling when I was their age...). None the less, the five-year old is too short for now. She will have to wait. I will draw her attention to my Side Effects to ease the pain.

icebeng: I am sorry you have to wait for it! I had this with my second Upper Modular Pocked. I think the navy awesome too. If this becomes a major pack (meaning used very often) I will get a blue one too. I have many clothes in purple and there is something like too much purple in one go (in my book that is).

Ilkyway

taminca
07-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Great photos, Ilkyway. And absolutely gorgeous kids with terrific taste in bags...and color choice!

luvdabags
07-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Fun zipper-pulls are a good way to tell the difference. Or those crazy rainbow loom rubber band creations that kids here love. Do you have that craze in Germany?

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Zipper-Pulls are a great idea. So far I have only changed the colors of cord-zipperpulls. But I have seen pictures enough here where people added colored-cord to metal- or plastic-zipperpulls. So that is, what I will do.

I had to google thous rubber thingies. I have seen them but not too much. But our family is trying to cut bag on plastic as much as possible. So it might just be us that are not realizing thous. (Sorry for the bad typing but my husbands laptop has no red lines under wrong spelled words).

Ilkywa

dorayme
07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Illy way, your girls are precious! I completely understand the kids wanting bags like mom's, especially when so much fus is made over the brown truck, with the brown boxes from TB, who wouldn't get excited over that?
I'm in agreement, the bag appears too large for your 5 year old, but the Small and medium cafe bags are nice sized for her. I haven't pulled the trigger on the DLBP, but I feel it's close!

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
@ dorayme: I had thought Side Efect for her but Smal Cafe Bag is an even better choice because there are more colors for her to choose from. I will let her try out mine tomorrow.

luvdabags
07-07-2014, 10:37 AM
My son (7yr) is angling for the small cafe in Kelly green. And some sort of robot thing. And a Lego set that is like 350 bucks! That kids needs to get a JOB!

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 10:42 AM
luvadbags: I think I just agreed to Tom Bihn Bags because either they last them for ever or I get them, when they are bored. So it is a win-win ;-)

ceepee
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM
My DLBP arrived today so here's a quick family photo :)
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/08/2u9aba5a.jpg

Puts me in mind of:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOeG-uTJxw

luvdabags
07-07-2014, 10:59 AM
luvadbags: I think I just agreed to Tom Bihn Bags because either they last them for ever or I get them, when they are bored. So it is a win-win ;-)

You know, I didn't think of it that way. It is looking much better for his SCB now!! Thanks!! ;)

Ilkyway
07-07-2014, 11:02 AM
Wow, I love this color! Great colection. I have to get someone in my family to want a burned Orange bag. Now that I have two more candidates to work on... it should be a picnic.

And thank you ceepee for the fun film!

itsablur
07-07-2014, 11:11 PM

Dang those look so nice... I might have to get onboard the Burnt Orange train for some backpacks!

JLE
07-08-2014, 12:35 AM
My little clutch of DLBPs just arrived - Burnt Orange, French Blue and Navy. They are all gorgeous but although I originally thought the orange would be for me, I decided I liked the French Blue even more. So I have just completed a delicate negotiation with my 6 year old son to persuade him that he really wants the orange. "But Mummy, the blue goes with my eyes!" I ask you: how do they know to say these things? :)

I think the DLBP is an excellent addition to the TB backpack line up. For me at least it is far superior to the PCBPs because it doesn't look like, well, a packing cube.

At present I think these are a little long for my boys (aged 6 and 8) - their Synapse 19s seem a better fit. But nevertheless we think these will be perfect lightweight bags for family bike rides! :)

taminca
07-08-2014, 05:38 AM
Am warming up to Burnt Orange after seeing @ceepee's collection. Don't think I am quite ready for a Burnt Orange Synapse or CB, but definitely a DLBP, which will be in my next order. Enabler points to @ceepee! :) And then there are those photos by @Ilkyway of the Plum DLBP... Sigh...

ceepee
07-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Am warming up to Burnt Orange after seeing @ceepee's collection. Don't think I am quite ready for a Burnt Orange Synapse or CB, but definitely a DLBP, which will be in my next order. Enabler points to @ceepee! :)

Yay!! I'll save them up and redeem them against a Burnt Orange Brain Bag (I can dream ;))

itsablur
07-08-2014, 06:04 AM
My little clutch of DLBPs just arrived - Burnt Orange, French Blue and Navy. They are all gorgeous but although I originally thought the orange would be for me, I decided I liked the French Blue even more. So I have just completed a delicate negotiation with my 6 year old son to persuade him that he really wants the orange. "But Mummy, the blue goes with my eyes!" I ask you: how do they know to say these things? :)

Got any pictures of them side-by-side? Those are colours that I'm torn/deliberating between. :)

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk

Ilkyway
07-08-2014, 07:01 AM
+1 for a multiple Daylither picture!!!

WenV
07-08-2014, 08:02 AM
Thanks Ilkyway for posting pictures of your lovely girls with the DLBP! At least it gives me an idea of the fit for my 6 yo son. I suspect it will be a bit long for him but I think it would be more than compensated by the lightness of the pack. I look forward to receiving my order soon. Will post pics of him wearing it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Ilkyway
07-08-2014, 08:12 AM
WenV and the internal organization helps so nothing "jumps" in the pack when your boy jumps. My girls, I am sorry to say, jump over every stone, hop over whatever presents itself and are all together more on the mobile side. But all the importend/fagil thinks can be very good secured in the Daylight Backpack. I am not so much talking about the O-Rings, which I love, but house two compartments at the back hold everything very good in place. I put two 3D Packing Cubes side by side in the upper compartment and two Side Effects in the lower. (Just for scale, all of them in a vertical orientation). No rattling around. Than you have space for some comicbooks or what not in front of this and the outer compartment for whatever else is needed.

Ilkyway

WenV
07-08-2014, 08:21 AM
That's good to know Ilkyway, about the ability to store things relatively secure in the pack. I was wondering if I need to order a couple of organiser pouches or even the Q-kit to help with little bits and bobs that he likes to carry around with him but often loses as he forgets where he leaves them. Have to think about this as I'd hate for him to lose these pouches too! Lol

itsablur
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
That's good to know Ilkyway, about the ability to store things relatively secure in the pack. I was wondering if I need to order a couple of organiser pouches or even the Q-kit to help with little bits and bobs that he likes to carry around with him but often loses as he forgets where he leaves them. Have to think about this as I'd hate for him to lose these pouches too! Lol
How about semi-permanently affixing the Q-Kits (or other pouches) into the bag so he can't remove them/lose them?

A nice clean solution would be to buy some long key straps, as well as some heat shrink tubing (maybe 3/4" diameter since it usually shrinks at a 2:1 ratio). Cut the tubing to about 1/2-1" in length and slip a piece onto each end of the key strap leaving the clip exposed (so you can still clip it to things). Clip one end to the Q-kit, then the other end to an O-ring in the bag. No slide the tubing back up to cover the majority of the clip portion of the key strap's end. Using a heat gun or good blow dryer, heat the tubing so that it shrinks around the key strap clips. Voila! Unremovable unless you cut the tubing off.

I suppose you could also do this with some nice tape, but that could leave adhesive goo/mess on things. Plus, you get to use heat shrink tubing. Who doesn't love heat shrink tubing?!

WenV
07-08-2014, 09:10 AM
How about semi-permanently affixing the Q-Kits (or other pouches) into the bag so he can't remove them/lose them?

A nice clean solution would be to buy some long key straps, as well as some heat shrink tubing (maybe 3/4" diameter since it usually shrinks at a 2:1 ratio). Cut the tubing to about 1/2-1" in length and slip a piece onto each end of the key strap leaving the clip exposed (so you can still clip it to things). Clip one end to the Q-kit, then the other end to an O-ring in the bag. No slide the tubing back up to cover the majority of the clip portion of the key strap's end. Using a heat gun or good blow dryer, heat the tubing so that it shrinks around the key strap clips. Voila! Unremovable unless you cut the tubing off.

I suppose you could also do this with some nice tape, but that could leave adhesive goo/mess on things. Plus, you get to use heat shrink tubing. Who doesn't love heat shrink tubing?!

That's a neat idea, itsablur! It will probably work... May I ask where I could buy this shrinkable tubing?

itsablur
07-08-2014, 09:19 AM
That's a neat idea, itsablur! It will probably work... May I ask where I could buy this shrinkable tubing?
Generally heat shrink tubing is used to repair cabling, or to cover the handles on tools. You could probably find some at your local Radio Shack, or Home Depot. Black is pretty typical, but you can also find it in a variety of colours if you hunt. Handy for colour coding your cabling, or in this case, adding a little more flair of colour into your boy's bag. :)

WenV
07-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks! I'll just check out my local hardware store for this. 😃

Badger
07-08-2014, 09:35 AM

And here I was, thinking "I don't need another Cafe Bag." Sigh.

PS: that coordinating bird is rad.

ceepee
07-08-2014, 09:46 AM
And here I was, thinking "I don't need another Cafe Bag." Sigh.

PS: that coordinating bird is rad.

Well, me neither really .... but, hey ho :)

The bird is a keyring made by Nici ..... It's a hummingbird .... apparently :)

backpack
07-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Puts me in mind of:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NhOeG-uTJxw

I need to get to the color analysis website to see if I can sneak burnt orange into my wardrobe.

I tried to ignore the Daylight Backpack, waiting for a new Travel Dyneema, in the future.

But... my husband got a glimpse of the French Blue and said it was a nice color!

Cordura, might just be the ticket, to use in the manner of packing folders I got a long time ago. They were used on the Tristar's first trip.

The PCBP were used in the Aeronaute.

I first saw the awesomeness of burnt orange in the Skookum Dog leashes pictures, it looks gorgeous next to violet.

The pictures of French Blue and Plum are truly gorgeous!

Taminca Rhapsody in Blue and Illykway Symphony in pink and plum pictures are wonderful!

NWhikergal, many thanks for posting the comparaison picture with the S19, my EDC, The profile pictures are particularly compelling because they alleviate the fear of keeping everything secure in the Daylight Backpack by showing that the zipper stops high enough to form a bowl.

The allover zipper of the PCBPs make them first class for packing quickly and efficiently but I only packed clothes or other soft things, when using them as "Daylight Backpacks" before the S19 was introduced.

Hawaii's pictures are brimming with practicality, thank you for pointing out, literally, that the DP fits perfectly inside the WF.

Thanks you DH for his modeling, very much appreciated!

The inside out photos and objects inside the DP to help us with scale and day dreaming packing (you know the kind one does when thinking about ordering, writing the ordering list and during the long wait for the package.)

But, I think for me, the most useful was the one with the eye searing yellow item, (spring season, I am not because this is a perfect spring color pair), and the one in the other color gave me an idea for bringing my beloved CQPCs into service.

They have been supplanted by SEs due to the SE organization and streamlined form which fits perfectly alongside the FJN, not compete with it for real estate, the way the CQPC does.

So thanks to everyone, the Daylight Backpack has inched itself closer to my next Wish List.

JLE
07-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Here are my newest TB additions, with an Indigo S19 in the background for comparison. The Navy looks a bit smudged because it is - my older son took it to a school holiday activity this morning and smeared it with a concoction of shaving foam and bi-carb!

As usual please excuse the technical failings of the iPhotographer...
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/09/a5u4yre3.jpg

monkeylady
07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Ah, yes....kids....

luvdabags
07-09-2014, 05:10 AM
JLE, that pic is fabulous! i am really not traditionally a backpack person, but this DLBP is so tempting, and i love the orange and plum and french blue...

MtnMan
07-09-2014, 11:50 AM
Great photos throughout this thread. Nice to see people wearing the packs, as well as comparison images.

maverick
07-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Bleu français est magnifique! Montré ici sur un enfant de 8 ans.

http://youtu.be/-7U9udkkWRw

Ilkyway
07-09-2014, 12:25 PM
maverick thank your sun for doing this. He looks cute. And what a fine backpack he has! I might want to get me one of thous one day (meaning in that color that is).

maverick
07-09-2014, 12:52 PM
maverick thank your sun for doing this. He looks cute. And what a fine backpack he has! I might want to get me one of thous one day (meaning in that color that is).

He's cute, and it was very kind of him to model my Daylight Backpack. But let's be clear here - it is my Daylight Backpack. I may let him use it. I may even carry some of his things in it. But it's mine. It came to me... My precious... :)

Just a thought - the front interior of the Daylight Backpack is lined with 420d Parapack. The back, however, isn't. Totally conjecture on my part, but I think the front may be lined to help the Daylight Backpack keep its shape. I would love to see the back lined as well - so that the lower interior pocket could then perhaps be stitched to the lining rather than to the back fabric of the Daylight Backpack - with the result that that stitching would not be visible on the outside. Would that be possible?

I'm sure it's with good reason that Tom did not line the back. But I thought I'd put the thought out there anyhow...

itsablur
07-09-2014, 01:33 PM
He's cute, and it was very kind of him to model my Daylight Backpack. But let's be clear here - it is my Daylight Backpack. I may let him use it. I may even carry some of his things in it. But it's mine. It came to me... My precious... :)
Is this the little guy who was in a couple of your old bag videos?

Just a thought - the front interior of the Daylight Backpack is lined with 420d Parapack. The back, however, isn't. Totally conjecture on my part, but I think the front may be lined to help the Daylight Backpack keep its shape. I would love to see the back lined as well - so that the lower interior pocket could then perhaps be stitched to the lining rather than to the back fabric of the Daylight Backpack - with the result that that stitching would not be visible on the outside. Would that be possible?

I'm sure it's with good reason that Tom did not line the back. But I thought I'd put the thought out there anyhow...

Interesting. People rarely take pictures of the back of the bags. Is there a lot of visible stitching on the back panel?

taminca
07-09-2014, 01:44 PM

An interesting first for me on the Forum... @maverick, I am on Amtrak accessing the web thru their free WiFi and received the following pertaining to your post: "The website you are attempting to access has been blocked by an automatic content filter. If you feel the website has been blocked in error, please contact us at www.amtrak.com/contactus"

itsablur
07-09-2014, 01:47 PM
An interesting first for me on the Forum... @maverick, I am on Amtrak accessing the web thru their free WiFi and received the following pertaining to your post: "The website you are attempting to access has been blocked by an automatic content filter. If you feel the website has been blocked in error, please contact us at www.amtrak.com/contactus"

Must be all of the gratuitous bag pr0n.

taminca
07-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Must be all of the gratuitous bag pr0n.

Now I REALLY want to see @maverick's video!!!

maverick
07-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Is this the little guy who was in a couple of your old bag videos?

Interesting. People rarely take pictures of the back of the bags. Is there a lot of visible stitching on the back panel?

Yes, same little big guy.

It's a straight line across the back, perhaps two-thirds of the way down.

maverick
07-09-2014, 02:11 PM

I completely understand why they do this.

This is a serious concern for Amtrak. So much so, that they have discussed blocking access to the Tom Bihn website in general!

They are concerned that if even one person starts looking at Tom Bihn bags using the Amtrak WiFi service, word about their amazing bags will spread like wildfire across the train - and everyone on the train might start connecting to their WiFi service in order to place orders on the Tom Bihn website, and their WiFi service won't be able to take the load!

So to prevent their WiFi service from collapsing, they invoked the content filter.

NWhikergal
07-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I did notice that when I put a very full side effect in the top pouch, the back of the backpack did bulge out slightly above the stitched lines. Maybe the stitching that goes all the way through the back reinforces the support for the top pouch? That is a guess only, since I seem to be better at acquiring bags than building bags. :)

JLE
07-09-2014, 02:22 PM
JLE, that pic is fabulous! i am really not traditionally a backpack person, but this DLBP is so tempting, and i love the orange and plum and french blue...

Thanks! I'm not really a backpack person either - I tend to limit use to the gym etc, but these little packs are somehow quite a different proposition. I think the colours in my pic look cleaner and less intense than they are in "person" (nothing wrong with personifying a TB bag, is there?). French Blue is deeper and more complex than it appears, burnt orange is not as bright as it looks (in some light it almost looks terracotta), and navy is richer than it looks in the shot. And I have to correct an error - I said the Synapse was Sapphire, but of course it's indigo. Post updated.

maverick
07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

Actually, I get now why the front interior is lined with 420d Parapack - there is a diagonal zippered pocket in the front. Sorry, I'm a little slow today. :)

monkeylady
07-09-2014, 05:48 PM

OMG! Is he ever the bomb!

maverick
07-10-2014, 08:45 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/10/9yvaza8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icebeng
07-10-2014, 08:54 AM
Matching DLBP with bike!!!!
Looking good there, maverick!

maverick
07-10-2014, 09:13 AM
some days, everything around you looks French blue...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/11/egujyjeh.jpg

WenV
07-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Thanks maverick for the video of your son modelling the DLBP. Looks like a good fit for him! I think my guy will enjoy his when we do receive our package. ☺

taminca
07-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Aubergine is still Queen, but French Blue (due in part to @maverick's DLBP posts) is creeping up there as my favorite TB bag color! Now if only it were available in ballistic for the larger bags... (Not that I need any more bags, of course!)

backpack
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the great French Blue Daylight Backpack video and pictures with the most handsome of models!

I was also able to catch up on your Side Effect many uses and Western Flyer water bottle fit videos, thank you so much, they are very informative and very professionally done.

Ilkyway
07-11-2014, 12:23 AM
I do not know if this is even possible, but if so could one of the Forum-Allpowefulls maybe move all the bike-related posts to a dedicated Thread over at the Non-Tom-Bihn section? I would so much like to continue this conversation without steeling the thunder of the very great Daylight Backpack.

Ilkyway

moriond
07-11-2014, 01:12 AM
I do not know if this is even possible, but if so could one of the Forum-Allpowefulls maybe move all the bike-related posts to a dedicated Thread over at the Non-Tom-Bihn section? I would so much like to continue this conversation without steeling the thunder of the very great Daylight Backpack.

Ilkyway
Discussion of folding bicycles (including those in colors that match the Daylight Backpack) has been moved to this thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-bags/7947-bromptons-other-folding-bicycles.html) on Bromptons & Other Folding Bicycles in the Not About Bags Forum

And now back to our regularly scheduled program…

moriond

itsablur
07-11-2014, 07:38 AM

Thanks Maverick!

That explains why I couldn't see anything in the product shot of the rear on the website; black stitching on a black Dyneema bag likely isn't super noticeable unless you are holding the bag up close.

moriond
07-11-2014, 02:33 PM
In the earlier pictures of the Daylight Backpack, @taminca showed the DLBP could be slipped into the zippered back pocket that holds the backpack straps of the Tri-Star. This also works for the Western Flyer, although the fit is a little snugger

DLBP being slid into the backpack straps pocket of the Nordic Western Flyer

The top of the DLBP fits more closely under the top edge of the zipper in the WF compared to the Tri-Star, but there is no problem zipping this closed, or pulling out the backpack straps and carrying either bag with the DLBP flat in the back pocket.

You can carry the DLBP here, as well as pack it and enclose it where the large packing cube is carried, if you want to use regular packing cubes in the main compartment of WF or Tri-Star and carry this bag as an addition.

BTW, the Vertical Freudian Slip doesn't fit the DLBP well compared to the PCBP for Tri-Star/WF because the narrower top pitches the corners. It can be carried if the DLBP is under filled, but will stress the top corners.

HTH moriond

eWalker
07-11-2014, 02:42 PM
BTW, the Vertical Freudian Slip doesn't fit the DLBP well compared to the PCBP for Tri-Star/WF because the narrower top pitches the corners. It can be carried if the DLBP is under filled, but will stress the top corners.

@moriond Do you know if the Large DOP fits?

taminca
07-11-2014, 02:58 PM
Thanks, @moriond! My WF is the rolling pocket version so I could not test that scenario.

moriond
07-11-2014, 03:07 PM
@moriond Do you know if the Large DOP fits?

@eWalker Since the Double Organizer pouches all seem to take their sizes from the corresponding regular Organizer pouches, I'd say that the Large DOP will fit into the DLBP if you curve the edges around at the top two corners, and put the Large DOP into the main compartment (not trying to fit it into the bottom pouch, which is already starting to narrow.)

Here's the back side of a large clear organizer pouch in Indigo on top of the DLBP

The old size large organizer pouch (crimson) from several years ago would fit without folding corners, and inside the bottom pocket. That pouch holds A4 paper, but not a very thick stack (e.g. 100-500 sheets, which you do with the current Large pouches)

HTH moriond

eWalker
07-11-2014, 03:48 PM
@eWalker Since the Double Organizer pouches all seem to take their sizes from the corresponding regular Organizer pouches, I'd say that the Large DOP will fit into the DLBP if you curve the edges around at the top two corners, and put the Large DOP into the main compartment (not trying to fit it into the bottom pouch, which is already starting to narrow.)

The old size large organizer pouch (crimson) from several years ago would fit without folding corners, and inside the bottom pocket. That pouch holds A4 paper, but not a very thick stack (e.g. 100-500 sheets, which you do with the current Large pouches)

Thanks @moriond, that is just what I needed to know!

I don´t intend to transport large amounts of paper on my EDC. And you just inspired me to use then also on the PCBP's that I will use as BOB!

Thanks again!

Ilkyway
07-11-2014, 03:58 PM
moriond thank you for thous pictures. Particularly since I was searching for the name of the blue on my small and medium DOPs. Now I know it is indigo. Love it. All thous French blue Daylighter are making me crave for one.

moriond
07-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Thanks, @moriond! My WF is the rolling pocket version so I could not test that scenario.

@taminca and others, Putting the DLBP into the WF backpack pockets works easily for both the Ballistic Nylon and Dyneema versions of the bag. I was curious about trying this in the Nordic Dyneema WF because I wanted to check whether this packs flat enough to allow a reasonable amount of packing space in the large back compartment, if you want to use the full, rectangular cross section to pack in. In fact, this doesn't work badly, although I haven't tried to test pack this tightly.

The other thing I wasn't expecting, is that the Steel Parapack used for the inside lining of the pockets and behind the front diagonal zipper provides more structure than I would have guessed from using Parapack pouches or the Lead's Pocket. It feels a bit thicker and also has a slicker feeling surface. You could easily slide in packed Small Western Flyer packing cubes, even the mesh ones. (For the Co-Pilot back pocket, the Small Western Flyer Packing Cube also fits, but it's much easier to use the all-fabric version, because the mesh can catch on the edges of 3D Cubes or the pocket edges, or stick slightly against the Urethane of 3D Clear Organizer Cubes.).

The tiered internal pouch structure makes it more flexible to use and carry items, and also to carry the pack with one strap if it isn't heavily loaded. I think the Cordura also provides a little more structure, but I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice,

This really is a backpack that's primarily designed for lighter weight carries. They've made it more comfortable to use when more heavily loaded than the original WF/Tri-Star PCBP by giving it a more backpack like shape, and organization of pockets to distribute the weight better when carried (so you can also put heavier items at the bottom, and hold a laptop). And some people will like the color options. At the same time, some of the packing cube functionality has decreased (e.g., some loss of maximum available "rectangular" packing, and fits to large rectangular accessories like the Vertical Freudian Slip and large organizer pouches). And for heavier, general backpack loads (and, I think, heavy laptops) a regular multi-purpose backpack like the Synapse is just going to be more comfortable. But it's a nice addition to the spectrum of available choices, especially when used in combination with travel bag options.

Thanks @moriond, that is just what I needed to know!

I don´t intend to transport large amounts of paper on my EDC. And you just inspired me to use then also on the PCBP's that I will use as BOB!

Thanks again!

@eWalker, I think the PCBPs (especially in the 400d Dyneema) are still going to be a viable option for a number of people. They'll get extra structure from including a Vertical Freudian Slip, which will also organize their papers and records. They'll use the full rectangular cross section for optimal packing. If they stow a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in the PCBP (for Tri-Star/WF) it can fit at the top, and doesn't have to be stowed at the bottom the match the tapering. And they can carry Large Double Organizer Pouches, and even insert them into the PCBPs to act to stiffen the bag.

I think the DLBP is a good option for people who want more flexibility out of a backpack when they travel, or just for daily use with lighter loads as a light-weight backpack. I'd been curious about French Blue even before @Taminca's pictures, and I was thinking this might be a good color contrast with a number of my bags (which include colors like Indigo, Navy, Plum, Nordic, Steel, and Aubergine) -- one of the reasons I didn't simply get plum.

I look forward to seeing more color combinations and more delightful pictures of the bags being worn, such as the video @maverick showed of his son wearing the DLBP and the pictures of @Ilkyway's girls wearing these bags!

moriond

Mausermama
07-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Oh mercy! My resistance is slipping! I can see so much use for this bag with my Western Flyer!

NWhikergal
07-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Great analysis, @moriond! Since getting the Daylight, I decided to re-purpose my PCBP to become my gym bag/beach bag, since I think the dyneema will be a little more forgiving than cordura regarding dirt, etc. And it actually is working great so far (see photo).

I love that with the PCBP I can easily access everything at once at the gym when I lay it flat, yet it hangs nicely in the locker till I am ready. The daylight will be my go-to for travel or light day trips, but I cannot relinquish my cherished S19 for daily carry. The straps are just so comfortable, especially with weight, and I love, love, love the water pouch in the middle. But I am extremely happy to have the Daylight to fill a gap in my backpack line-up, and the color does make me smile.

eWalker
07-11-2014, 06:14 PM
I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice

@moriond I ordered a Black Dyneema DLBP for me and a Navy Cordura DLBP to give as a gift (in my Pilot order), and both have already shipped so I will be able to compare then in approximately a week.

@eWalker, I think the PCBPs (especially in the 400d Dyneema) are still going to be a viable option for a number of people. They'll get extra structure from including a Vertical Freudian Slip, which will also organize their papers and records.
Gosh!! I completely overlooked the Freudian Slip... Thanks for the tip!!

NWhikergal
07-11-2014, 06:29 PM
So what I really want to know now is how the Daylight would fit in the back compartment of the A30. Based on its dimensions, it seems like it should work, especially if it works for the WF. I can't wait to hear or see!

icebeng
07-12-2014, 12:21 AM

Just a thought, considering the straps and zippers of the DLBP are also black, these 2 black lines won't really seem out of place, and they are at the back after all, where few people would see it. But I just took a look inside my own DLBP and saw that those stitches are for the bottom of the upper pocket, which means it's usually covered by the lower pocket, as the lower pocket overlaps it.*
I wonder if the crew would consider using thread that's the same color as the exterior for those 2 lines in future? It would camouflage the lines on the outside, and in my case, on the inside, I would see 2 French Blue lines over Steel Parapack when I looked at the bottom of the upper pocket.

*Slightly off topic: I didn't understand what "shingled" meant, I nearly mistaken it for that disease caused by the chicken pox virus. And googling for answers didn't really help as I kept getting references to roofing! lol
It wasn't until all of you posted pictures of the inside and detailed descriptions that I understood. As I look at my own DLBP right now, I think its purchase is perfectly justified, hey! I learned a new term in English! ^.^

eWalker
07-12-2014, 04:04 AM
*Slightly off topic:

hey! I learned a new term in English! ^.^

LOL ! Imagine for us that are not native speakers!!

I learn new words every time I read the posts! ;)

firewatch
07-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all the awesome photos in this thread. If I wasn't still so in love with my S19 I'd be tempted to try out the DLBP for one bag long-term travel. It doesn't look like the volume is quite the same (16.5 liters vs. 19) but the tradeoff might be worth the decrease in weight (nearly half). I'm also intrigued by those shingled pouches.

kkintea
07-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Hey Crew, is this the Daylight in Wasabi (or Kiwi)?!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/yhete2un.jpg

RhoFro
07-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Looks like Wasabi to me. I have a snake charmer that same color although I've been hunting a Kiwi OP with no luck.

moriond
07-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Also looks like Wasabi to me @kkintea, and by the way, this is one of the reasons I follow TB on Twitter, for extra bits of information. Wasabi looks good with Steel and Nordic, though you might prefer Burnt Orange. I received a small Wasabi Double Organizer Pouch (500d Cordura) with my Daylight Backpack in French Blue. So far, my favorite DOP color (in 500d Cordura) has been Cayenne.

@RhoFro I've been asking for pouches in Kiwi, too, for some time, but with limited success. Just keep at it. I hope they start making the Q-Kits in Kiwi -- that was my favorite color for the larger, now discontinued Kits. And I hope they make more of the Knitting Tool Pouches in Kiwi, too! I have one of early Clear Organizer Wallets in Kiwi (old enough so that they used the unsticky Urethane from the time of the first wallet releases), and it's great. Hope we all get more Kiwi accessory options soon!

kkintea
07-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Either way, when will we see this option? Twitter, you tease.

I'm not sure who, but I vaguely recall someone mentioning a kiwi q-kit. I don't know if it was a request, or a receipt of one.

taminca
07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey Crew, is this the Daylight in Wasabi (or Kiwi)?!

Either way, I want one!!! Oh wow!

I'm not sure who, but I vaguely recall someone mentioning a kiwi q-kit. I don't know if it was a request, or a receipt of one.

I requested and received on Friday a Kiwi Q-Kit. Interestingly, it was just a bit thinner and longer than the previous 2 I received, which were in Forest and Aubergine. Wonder if that size is specific to Kiwi or this latest batch of Q-Kits.

jess
07-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Is that a Daylight? The zipper looks off to me...or maybe I'm just seeing things which is very possible :)

itsablur
07-12-2014, 03:51 PM
I requested and received on Friday a Kiwi Q-Kit. Interestingly, it was just a bit thinner and longer than the previous 2 I received, which were in Forest and Aubergine. Wonder if that size is specific to Kiwi or this latest batch of Q-Kits.
Could be that since many of the smaller accessories are made from scrap fabrics, that's just what the cut sizing of the leftover Kiwi material was. Still, you wouldn't think there would be THAT much variance from one to the next, but I'm sure it can happen.

vivelly
07-12-2014, 03:58 PM
I think it's a cafe bag

kkintea
07-12-2014, 04:05 PM

Can we see one of your fabulous pictures?

moriond
07-12-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it's a cafe bag
Looks to me as though there's a black zipper at the top edge which, along with the diagonal zipper at the front, would make this more likely to be a Daylight Backpack. (Of course, maybe this is just wishful thinking).

kkintea
07-12-2014, 04:22 PM
I think it's a cafe bag

The twitter user posted 'ultralight backpack swag'. Tom Bihn retweeted it, and that how I saw it. I sure hope wasabi = daylight for the rest of us soon!

taminca
07-12-2014, 05:03 PM
Can we see one of your fabulous pictures?

For you, @kkintea, here are four photos.

This first picture shows best the size difference (Ignore the hand propping up the Q-Kits!):

A different perspective is shown here (Again, ignore the hand):

A third perspective (Look, Ma, no hand!):

Finally, to show the difference is not because of content size (albeit they are different flavors):

Disclaimer: No Larabars were consumed during the taking of these photos. (Only because I am about to head out for dinner.)

ETA: Ooops. Just realized this is the Daylight thread. Sorry.

icebeng
07-12-2014, 07:23 PM
I'm curious!
Is Wasabi Cordura only available in 500d? Would this be the 1st time it's being used for the exterior of a bag?

adalangdon
07-12-2014, 08:02 PM
So far, my favorite DOP color (in 500d Cordura) has been Cayenne.

@RhoFro I've been asking for pouches in Kiwi, too, for some time, but with limited success.

Hooray Cayenne! Anyway, I feel awfully naggy every time I bug CS about Kiwi anything. I write them an email to ask about it like every other order. I was hoping for a medium Kiwi all-ballistic pouch, but I took what I could get (and have a use for) the last time-- a Kiwi pen case. I believe they still have a few.

Is that a Daylight? The zipper looks off to me...or maybe I'm just seeing things which is very possible :)

Yeah, I agree with @jess. The zipper looks like it's parallel to the TB label, which shouldn't be the case in a DLBP (diagonal slash pocket, etc.). I certainly see why @vivelly thought it was a CB... but dare I hope this is something new? It's probably a DLBP in all likelihood, though.

I'm curious!
Is Wasabi Cordura only available in 500d? Would this be the 1st time it's being used for the exterior of a bag?

I think so? Based on my really limited knowledge, Wasabi 500d has only been used for bag linings, Snake Charmers, pouches...

@moriond...?

adalangdon
07-12-2014, 08:03 PM
This first picture shows best the size difference (Ignore the hand propping up the Q-Kits!):

All the better to store bars with! <3

moriond
07-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm curious!

I think so? Based on my really limited knowledge, Wasabi 500d has only been used for bag linings, Snake Charmers, pouches...

@moriond...?

OK everybody, I've tracked this down, and the picture is definitely a backpack in Wasabi. I'm going to start a new thread titled "Tom Bihn takes over the World (http://forums.tombihn.com/tom-bihn-news-everything-else/7963-tom-bihn-takes-over-world.html)". In the meantime, here's a link (https://mobile.twitter.com/EmilyViers2013/status/487635742537940993/photos) to a tweeted picture of people wearing this Wasabi backpack at the 2014 World Domination Summit in Portland, Oregon.

AFAIK Wasabi has just been used in the 500d Cordura version for the last several years, mainly because this lining color goes with so many bags. However, some Cordura colors, like Crimson and Sapphire, have been available in both weights, and the 500d version continued to be used after they stopped making the bags in the 1000d version.

backpack
07-13-2014, 07:57 PM
icebeng: My husband is looking with puppy eyes at my S25. But he wants to show me what self-control is and waits a few days more till ordering.

The question of color is not easy in fact. Both girls are heartfelt purple-lovers. Maybe it has to be plum but I have to find a way to distinguish them. I am thinking maybe something like dorayme did with her Cafe Bag (I like it a lot dorayme!). Well I have to think about it a bit.

Ilkyway

You can use different colors of paracords for the bag zipper pulls for each person with a purple bag.

You already have purple and light mauve, you could add dark and light pink, just an idea.

Ilkyway
07-13-2014, 11:39 PM
@ taminca: the forest Q-Kit is the one they send you for testing, isn't it? Maybe they changed it a bit after this? Could you measures them, so we could compare the measurements to ours?

backpack: that is quite the idea. You know, I could bite me somewhere, where it hurts. When I first looked at the Cafe-Bags (and dismissed them because not being backpacks), Azalea (o so I am sure of) was still an option. That would have been the perfect color for my girls.

Ilkyway

taminca
07-14-2014, 06:16 AM
@ taminca: the forest Q-Kit is the one they send you for testing, isn't it? Maybe they changed it a bit after this? Could you measures them, so we could compare the measurements to ours?

Ilkyway, I responded in the Uses of the Q-Kit thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7861-uses-q-kit-3.html#post72187) to not further derail this one :)

adalangdon
07-19-2014, 10:41 PM
So after practice packing my DLBP with office EDC, I feel there's one thing missing: an 'O' ring at the top of the diagonal slash pocket. Gravity is evil and makes my pouches slide to the bottom, leaving what feels like a lot of unused space at the top :(

Otherwise, great bag! I haven't used it for its intended purpose of milk carton, watermelon, and TP-hauling (yet!!), but I've stuffed it to the gills with office gear (including one brick of a 2" thick book) and it still feels fairly comfortable. Straps are definitely okay even for moderately heavy loads, and I don't feel myself missing any organisational features when the shingled pockets are combined with my SE and an army of pouches. And I do think it would make a good schoolbag for kids as long as there aren't thick and heavy books involved.

icebeng
07-19-2014, 11:29 PM
With the barbeque heat we call the weather here, perhaps you might wanna consider packing a coconut or 3 instead?

adalangdon
07-20-2014, 12:05 AM
With the barbeque heat we call the weather here, perhaps you might wanna consider packing a coconut or 3 instead?

I think 3 of the pre-cut ones from Fairprice can go in the bottom. Straws can go into one of my OPs. Hurhur.

Re heat: Actually, this is great pack for those in hot weather. A highly sweat-prone person like myself will probably find the DLBP more comfortable to carry around in the heat due to the lack of padding. I carried my S19 in 33 deg C/93F weather a couple of weeks ago and my entire back was soaked after 15 min . . .

All in all, a nice compromise between a 'proper' backpack and the lightweight packing cubes. I'm a happy camper~

icebeng
07-20-2014, 12:33 AM
I think 3 of the pre-cut ones from Fairprice can go in the bottom. Straws can go into one of my OPs. Hurhur.

Re heat: Actually, this is great pack for those in hot weather. A highly sweat-prone person like myself will probably find the DLBP more comfortable to carry around in the heat due to the lack of padding. I carried my S19 in 33 deg C/93F weather a couple of weeks ago and my entire back was soaked after 15 min . . .

All in all, a nice compromise between a 'proper' backpack and the lightweight packing cubes. I'm a happy camper~

hmm! That's great news!
I've been refusing to bring out anything more than a Side Effect or SCB because of the heat, I'll try out the DLBP for work tomorrow.
Thanks!

taminca
07-20-2014, 07:54 AM
I just returned from a 2-day trip, taking with me a French Blue trio of SCB, DLBP and S25. This was my first overnighter with the S25 and I was very proud of my minimal packing! (It helped that the dress code was casual for this business trip.) I slipped the DLBP into the main compartment of the S25 -- perfect fit without having to roll up and (gasp!) crease the DLBP. It was perfect as a daypack for both business meetings and exploring Lake Tahoe. And it held up wonderfully even when I got caught in a short burst of heavy rain and hail. I really do love this backpack!

meekasmom
07-20-2014, 09:45 AM
sending you a private message now

Moosezilla
07-21-2014, 08:38 PM
Okay. I'm pretty sure that my Burnt Orange DLBP just became my new favorite backpack. I love my S25 and SA, but the DLBP is in a league of it's own! Light, easy to carry, and simple. I decided to go for a quick evening hike since I'm on vacation this week (I work evenings) and it was hella hot and humid here today, so it seemed like a perfect opportunity to test out my DLPB's hiking capabilities. Prior to this, I had only used the bag for a quick weekend trip home and it worked great! The bugs may have chased us out a little prematurely this evening, but the DLBP proved more than worthy for summer hikes in this area!!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/varugy4e.jpg

This is a shot of the DLBP in the sun.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/emyvygep.jpg

Here's one of it in the shade. I tried to put it in front of the same kind of grass so you could see how the Burnt Orange color changes in the light.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/ahabygas.jpg

I love this huge tree! It's on one of my favorite paths at the park we were at.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/zady6eba.jpg

Soy beans look good this year!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/4apehytu.jpg

I love how this picture turned out.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/jajazu2a.jpg

Getting deeper into the trees.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/azaqenez.jpg

Another neat tree!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/ypu2y9us.jpg

Back out of the trees and amongst the flowers of the prairie.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/edubu2ed.jpg

This is another favorite photo of mine. I'm by no means a professional photographer, but I try to not take potato quality pictures. I have an old digital camera from 2006 that I hardly ever use, so I mostly just use my iPhone 5 for 99% of the pictures I take.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/ezyqu7y4.jpg

Moosezilla
07-21-2014, 08:58 PM
And now for a packing list. I'm definitely going to tweak it before I go out again tomorrow since I forgot some things...I was anxious to get on the trail since I haven't been out there in quite a while!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/ynytura9.jpg

The front pocket held my keys and my wallet.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/uvaneju9.jpg

A quick shot of the inside. The bag wasn't close to being full, so I could probably even use it for longer hikes or when it gets cooler and I have to pack a jacket and more layers.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/6yje2yga.jpg

At the very bottom of the main compartment was my water bottle.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/2u7urede.jpg

In the top pocket was a 3D mesh organizer cube and a size 1 stuff sack that was tethered to the top O ring with a black 8" key strap.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/ta8uqamu.jpg

The bottom pocket held a packed SE and a Moleskin notebook.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/5y8yrymy.jpg

Everything all laid out.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/gyvuqu6e.jpg

In the front (or back) pocket of the SE was a pencil and a pen. Sometimes if I can find an awesome spot I like to stop and write or meditate for a while. I couldn't do that tonight since I got about 47 mosquito bites every time I stopped to take a picture. Boo.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/mahaheqe.jpg

Main pocket of the SE.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/uheqesy8.jpg

In the main pocket, I had sunscreen, big spray, and a mesh Coyote OP holding ibuprofen in the Altoids tin, Chapstick, and some spare contacts. Trust me, it really sucks when a bug flies into your eye, you lose your contact, and have to walk back to your car half blind and then drive home without crashing and dying. In the right inner pocket was a pack of tissues and the left inner pocket held another mint tin containing allergy meds, extra hair ties, a binder clip or two, some sticky notes, and a tooth pick and tweezers from a Swiss Army knife. This tin goes where ever I do and is referred to as the "Oh $@&#" tin. I have to grab something out of it at least twice a week.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/5enahupu.jpg

The 3D mesh OP held my Buck knife, first aid kit, and a plastic bag for trash pickin uppin!

Moosezilla
07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/22/vy6ura4u.jpg

The size 1 sack held a women's size medium Eddie Bauer Travex tank top. I wore a t-shirt on the hike just because I got horribly sunburned last weekend and I'm still a little pink and flaky from my neck to my knees. I took this shirt with me just in case I got unbearably hot.

Like I said, I'll be tweaking this list next time, but I thought it'd give you an idea of what the DLBP can easily swallow.

I love the DLBP in Burnt Orange as well. I wouldn't want another bag like an S25 or MCB in this color, but I really dig it on the DLBP. I'm thinking about getting one in steel because, well, steel, but the BO DLBP will forever be my hiking bag since if I die or bite the dust on the trail, my body will be easily spotted (yes, I fully intend on falling face first). Let the forum enabling for a steel DLBP begin!!!

Moosezilla
07-21-2014, 09:03 PM
On a side note, I just re read my posts and when I refer to "us", I'm referring to myself and my DLBP. Yes, I do talk to my bags if you were wondering. They're my friends/roommates.

And to elaborate on my thoughts of the steel/steel SE, I'm so glad I didn't return it. I've fallen in love with it so hard!

kkintea
07-21-2014, 09:18 PM
On a side note, I just re read my posts and when I refer to "us", I'm referring to myself and my DLBP. Yes, I do talk to my bags if you were wondering. They're my friends/roommates.

And to elaborate on my thoughts of the steel/steel SE, I'm so glad I didn't return it. I've fallen in love with it so hard!

As a great supporter of all things steel, I have to throw in my vote for the steel parapack/steel dyneema SE over the ballistic combo (I have both, and 2 other SEs). More flexibility for marsupial-ing with other TB bags. Which brings me to my second point: enabling voice for the second DLBP. You never know when you might have to go steel ninja, and BODLBP needs a buddy.

moriond
07-22-2014, 02:13 AM
As a great supporter of all things steel, I have to throw in my vote for the steel parapack/steel dyneema SE over the ballistic combo (I have both, and 2 other SEs). More flexibility for marsupial-ing with other TB bags. Which brings me to my second point: enabling voice for the second DLBP. You never know when you might have to go steel ninja, and BODLBP needs a buddy.

@kkintea But what about the 400d Steel Dyneema/Steel or Wasabi or Solar SE? How does that rate in your panoply of Steel SEs? And I'd be really interested to know whether there are any current Steel Ballistic Nylon SEs with the "bluish" tones of the newer Ballistic Steel Pilots and Co-Pilots that @trailhiker and others have noted.

Ilkyway
07-22-2014, 02:44 AM
I would buy a bluish steel ballistic SE emidiatly if I would be sure about it being bluish.

Ilkyway

kkintea
07-22-2014, 11:05 AM
@kkintea But what about the 400d Steel Dyneema/Steel or Wasabi or Solar SE? How does that rate in your panoply of Steel SEs? And I'd be really interested to know whether there are any current Steel Ballistic Nylon SEs with the "bluish" tones of the newer Ballistic Steel Pilots and Co-Pilots that @trailhiker and others have noted.

I forgot I have the steel dyneema SE too, raising my total count to....5. 4 steel and 1 Nordic. The steel parapack is still the winner. It goes with everything and it's pliable. Can also be used in professional settings as a standalone bag. The Nordic is a close second. My steel dyneema is 200d and it feels different from the parapack. Maybe too lightweight? I'm using in the car now as an organizer. I will have to look closer at the color tone of my most recent steel acquisitions... To be continued when NFTD arrives.

taminca
07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
There are some great photos posted here, but none of a Steel Cordura DLBP. Would love to see some pics of what is rapidly becoming my favorite day bag in this color that @kkintea has almost convinced me that I must get :)

Badger
07-22-2014, 12:31 PM
@taminca, Janine has loads of photos here: http://forums.tombihn.com/showpost.php?p=72717

taminca
07-22-2014, 02:03 PM
@taminca, Janine has loads of photos here: Daylight Backpack - Page 6 (http://forums.tombihn.com/showpost.php?p=72717)

Thanks! How could I have missed that???

ETA: Hmmm.... That Steel DLBP is looking mighty fabulous!

eWalker
07-25-2014, 05:02 AM
I'd be really curious to read a comparison of using the 400d Dyneema version vs. the Cordura. I considered getting the Dyneema version of the DLBP, and I think that could also be a good choice,

@moriond I have both versions with me right now... Do you have anything specific that you would like to know/check/see?

moriond
07-25-2014, 08:37 AM

I would buy a bluish steel ballistic SE emidiatly if I would be sure about it being bluish.

Ilkyway
@Ilkyway and Others I called in to ask about the color of the current Steel Ballistic Nylon products, including the Side Effect, and they are all of the "bluish" variety. Luke's explanation was that this shade of Steel is the color it is "supposed to be". The problem is that because of Ballistic Nylon's difficult dyeability, steel doesn't always come in true to the target color, hence the batches of Steel Ballistic Nylon with the greenish cast. However, the current batch of Steel Ballistic Nylon Side Effects came in true to color and are "bluish". I've seen a few older posts about people being disappointed with thie greenish cast to their Steel Tri-Stars, Aeronauts, or Cadets, so this is not a problem with current production batches using Steel Ballistic Nylon.

Having said that, I ended up ordering a Steel 420d Parapack/UV SE that was not in the drop-down menus.

@kkintea You'll have to extend your collection of Steel Side Effects. I didn't realize your Steel Dyneema SE was 200d weight. I think you would really like the 400d Steel Dyneema Side Effects.

HTH moriond

moriond

adalangdon
07-25-2014, 08:44 AM
Thanks for this, @moriond. I ordered my first Steel ballistic item (a small mesh ballistic pouch) only yesterday. Green-tinted steel is fine by me since i like both grey and green, but I'm looking forward to seeing what blue-tinted grey is like. Who knows, a Steel/Steel SE could well lie ahead... /headdesk

eWalker
07-25-2014, 09:18 AM
The color of the current Steel Ballistic Nylon products, including the Side Effect, and they are all of the "bluish" variety. [...] so this is not a problem with current production batches using Steel Ballistic Nylon.

@moriond

After @backpack tip on his post (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7723-proof-my-tb-obsession.html#post74001) to use all TB bags as bug out bags, I started to think that I could use one or two extra bags to perfect my emergency plan and you may have just gave me the final push! :p

Just for the sake of safety... Those are not for me, they are for the "emergency situations"!

Ilkyway
07-25-2014, 09:27 AM
@moriond: that is good news. And since my latest order is in the air and I have nothing else on backorder... (will this EVER stop???) I am off, looking and the SEs.

Pokilani
07-25-2014, 10:32 AM
I thought I read a post where someone said the DLBP fits in the back of the A30 where the backpack straps go but now can find the thread. Can someone confirm? I need to stop reading these forums because it is costing me too much money.

Opinion seeking now... Which DLBP color compliments Aubergine? Anyone have pictures of French blue with Aubergine? The black dyneema also intrigues me.

Badger
07-25-2014, 10:38 AM
I thought I read a post where someone said the DLBP fits in the back of the A30 where the backpack straps go but now can find the thread. Can someone confirm? I need to stop reading these forums because it is costing me too much money.

Opinion seeking now... Which DLBP color compliments Aubergine? Anyone have pictures of French blue with Aubergine? The black dyneema also intrigues me.

The DLBP will fit if you fold it in half.

Objectively, I think that steel, black, and navy all complement Aubergine. I haven't seen French blue with Aubergine but I suspect that FB is too green (or Aubergine too red) to make them complementary in a color spectrum sense. I don't think they'd look awful together, just not ideal.

adalangdon
07-25-2014, 10:49 AM

I think all are viable choices except French Blue, but these colour things are very, very subjective. (http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags-accessories/7988-do-aubergine-plum-go-together.html) (You really should check out that awesome thread!)

Couple more photos...

Janine
07-25-2014, 11:09 AM
I love the DLBP in Burnt Orange as well. I wouldn't want another bag like an S25 or MCB in this color, but I really dig it on the DLBP. I'm thinking about getting one in steel because, well, steel, but the BO DLBP will forever be my hiking bag since if I die or bite the dust on the trail, my body will be easily spotted (yes, I fully intend on falling face first). Let the forum enabling for a steel DLBP begin!!!

I'm thinking of going the other way - adding a Burnt Orange buddy for my Steel DLBP!

monkeylady
07-25-2014, 12:17 PM

Burnt orange is gorgeous with aubergine IMHO.

Kippiann
07-25-2014, 12:28 PM
An olive DLBP! This color is impossible to photograph, but gorgeous in person. It's much, much prettier than the olive parapack; it's deep and rich and lovely. This is the best photo I could get for the color but it still isn't right. The second photo is what I could fit in it.

I'm not sure I'll use this bag this way, but in a pinch, it would work.

ncb4
07-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Help! I am paralyzed by the plethora of colors available—and this for a bag that I didn't even think I wanted when I first saw it. I'm not sure who the blame...er, I mean, enabler points go to, because so many of you ganged up on me in this thread and others, seducing me into thinking, "Yes, I've got to have this bag!"

So this morning I finally made the decision to order one: and now I'm stuck. At first I was absolutely sure I wanted one in Burnt Orange—until I wasn't. A little while later I decided that I absolutely, positively, with no regrets or doubts or second thoughts wanted French Blue. And the next minute I said, "No, Black Dyneema." And the next minute I said, "No, Plum." What is wrong with me?

And no, I can't order them all—I can hear some of you saying that already. :D

Ilkyway
07-25-2014, 01:39 PM
First: all the choices are gorgeous. You wont regret any of those!

Your avatar says take the burned orange. What is your main wardrobe-color? The black and French-blue are the most versatile colors. They both do not easily get in the way with others. The French Blue being bride and friendly, the black being stylish and cool. The burned orange and plum can trash other colors but are very lively each on its own. Do you have any of the colors in other bags? If so, I say go for something different. Unless you want to wear both bags together.

Maybe this is a starting point?

Ilkyway

ncb4
07-25-2014, 02:00 PM
First: all the choices are gorgeous. You wont regret any of those!

Your avatar says take the burned orange. What is your main wardrobe-color? The black and French-blue are the most versatile colors. They both do not easily get in the way with others. The French Blue being bride and friendly, the black being stylish and cool. The burned orange and plum can trash other colors but are very lively each on its own. Do you have any of the colors in other bags? If so, I say go for something different. Unless you want to wear both bags together.

Maybe this is a starting point?

Ilkyway

Ilkyway, you are brilliant! I hadn't even thought of looking at the colors in my avatar: I do love that autumnal kind of orange. And my other bags include blues , and of course, purple. I seem to be in love with purple: I've got that Plum Brain Bag I just received, an Aubergine NF and A30 on order, and a host of other Aubergine bags already in my home [A45, Swift, Little Swift, Side Effect, Kit, and a few OPs]. Clearly I am drawn to purple, but then I think perhaps you are right: maybe I should go for something different precisely because I have so much else in purple, and also in blue, which is a kindred color.

That would take me back to either Burnt Orange or Black Dyneema. I do have a non-TB sling bag from many years ago in a burnt orange; but I have nothing in black. I tend to steer away from blacks and grays, because I think they are too somber. Which is why Black Dyneema may appeal to me: it's black, but it also has the visual appeal of the white grid on it. It can look crisp and almost professional, or I could change it up with zipper pulls in different colors of paracord. [I just did some of those for my Plum Brain Bag today].

You've really helped, @Ilkyway. I'm not decided yet, but at least I've narrowed down my options after you gave me some good things to think about.

[I]Vielen Dank,

Nancy

Ilkyway
07-25-2014, 02:10 PM
I am a purple-girl myself with a genetic pull to all blues. My Daylighter is plum but I just ordered a SCB in Burned Orange just to get the color into this house. (My husband is not willing to jump the cliff jet, he is starting slowly with a black Brain Bag).
I think the Daylighter might be the Cafe Bag under the Backpacks. I know you said you wont order multiple colors (FOR NOW). But if it becomes an often used backpack you might want to consider another color in your future without having to spend the same kind of money as on a Brain Bag. So you can be a bit adventures here.

Let us know what you decide on.

Ilkyway

Sehr gern geschehen!

monkeylady
07-25-2014, 03:01 PM
For what it's worth and hopefully helpful, purples/blues with oranges are a classic flower planting combination in the perennial garden, and particularly if you add a silvery grey. Just saying...

Pokilani
07-25-2014, 03:15 PM
For what it's worth and hopefully helpful, purples/blues with oranges are a classic flower planting combination in the perennial garden, and particularly if you add a silvery grey. Just saying...

So monkeylady, are your suggesting two DLBPs-one orange and one steel? ��

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially the wonderful pictures. This is the downside of Tom Bihn- so many beautiful color options. Decisions.... Olive, steel, burnt orange, and black dyneema are all in the running...

monkeylady
07-25-2014, 07:23 PM
This can be accomplished a number of ways. One of my favorite winter outfits includes charcoal grey cordaroy jeans, an orange cashmere sweater, toting my aubergine SE crossbody. But if two packs float your boat, go for it!

pinkknits
07-25-2014, 07:29 PM
The more and more I browse this thread, the more I think a Black Dyneema version would be a great, non-bulky commuter backpack. I just can't seem to quit you, Tom Bihn!

eWalker
07-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Hi Guys!

I was playing with my black Dyneema DLBP inspired by all this talk about turning bags inside out and found an angle that may help some.

Turned the bag inside out and folded to match the bottom of the upper pocket and placed a 3D Cube by the side to add proportion and size.

Sorry guys, no Larabars around here. :(

Those pockets are amazing for organization they allow! Just wished that there was another set of then in the opposite wall. The black Dyneema makes the bag very pliable and this makes it perfect to use with packing cubes and TSS and YSS.

I used a small A45 Cube placed on the bottom of it without too much hassle... not a perfect fit but manageable.

HTH

eWalker
07-26-2014, 06:30 AM
After posting I realized that would be better if the lining was different.

Still learning... Now with a Navy DLBP...

kkintea
07-26-2014, 08:05 AM
@eWalker, can you fold the DLBP entirely into one of the pockets, like a shop bag?

eWalker
07-26-2014, 08:32 AM
@eWalker, can you fold the DLBP entirely into one of the pockets, like a shop bag?

Yes... I did this to take the pictures... it is easier with Dyneema then cordura... but easy to do with both!

eWalker
07-26-2014, 08:43 AM

Something like this?

I folded into the upper pocket...

kkintea
07-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Something like this?

I folded into the upper pocket...

Yes, exactly! Now I will have to order it!

kkintea
07-26-2014, 08:59 AM
@Darcy, can we expect all Parapack or Steel Dyneema options in the DLBP in the near future? If you're taking requests, I would be really enthusiastic about black parapack/steel parapack or steel parapack/solar dyneema. Or, if you were feeling really crazy, NORDIC dyneema/solar dyneema.

eWalker
07-26-2014, 09:29 AM
@Darcy @Darcy @Darcy

Can´t you see that this side...

is jealous of the pockets on the other side?

Making Puss in Boots (https://www.google.com.br/search?q=puss+in+boots&safe=off&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-NbTU8vJOMj9oAT7koAI&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=600#q=puss%20in%20boots%20eyes&revid=526405947&safe=off&tbm=isch&imgdii=_) eyes...

Ilkyway
07-26-2014, 03:05 PM
@Ilkyway and Others I called in to ask about the color of the current Steel Ballistic Nylon products, including the Side Effect, and they are all of the "bluish" variety. Luke's explanation was that this shade of Steel is the color it is "supposed to be". The problem is that because of Ballistic Nylon's difficult dyeability, steel doesn't always come in true to the target color, hence the batches of Steel Ballistic Nylon with the greenish cast. However, the current batch of Steel Ballistic Nylon Side Effects came in true to color and are "bluish".
HTH moriond

moriond

Just ordered a Steel Ballistic / Ultraviolet Side Effect. Thank you for checking and posting on this! It'll be the least obvious of my PLOs to go with everything and everywhere if needed. Sometimes Aubergine is too much and my Navy Ballistic one has acquired herself some very ping zipper-pulls and therefor is not very "quite" anymore... do not know how this happens, but matches the same colored Pilot who has gotten himself the exact same zipper-pulls... They have strong minds and know exactly what they want to wear. Gladly they all want to be worn by me.

So as you can see: I need the Steel Ballistic Side Effect and I am hiding this pink paracord RIGHT NOW.

Ilkyway

Dandelion
07-26-2014, 04:17 PM
So monkeylady, are your suggesting two DLBPs-one orange and one steel? ��

Thanks for the feedback everyone, especially the wonderful pictures. This is the downside of Tom Bihn- so many beautiful color options. Decisions.... Olive, steel, burnt orange, and black dyneema are all in the running...

This can be accomplished a number of ways. One of my favorite winter outfits includes charcoal grey cordaroy jeans, an orange cashmere sweater, toting my aubergine SE crossbody. But if two packs float your boat, go for it!

Or accent your DLBP of choice with paracord zipper pulls in another color(or same family color) to pull it all together.

Aubergine/Steel DLBP/Orange or french blue or denim or ? ... zipper pulls for a little pop
Aubergine/olive DLBP/Orange or pale turquoise or ?
Aubergine/Burnt Orange DLBP/pick a color for zip pulls
Aubergine/Steel/Purple zip pulls
Aubergine/French Blue/steel, dark purple, dark Khaki or Taupe pulls

The combos are endless....I'd be here all night. :) Paracord comes in a zillion colors... solids and multis.

Open two tabs in your browser ... one with the aubergine bag in it and with the other tab, find good examples of each color you are considering. View side by side and see if any color combo appeals to you more than another. Might help. I did this with my WF and paracord color choices.

Janine
07-28-2014, 08:16 PM
Some of you may have followed my exploits on another thread, wherein I endeavored to drive my long-suffering husband crazy by wearing my DLBP all the time. It totally worked. He started flipping out every time I wore my DLBP in the house. It was very amusing.

One night last week, when the weather was cool enough to wear flannel bed, I put my DLBP on underneath my nightgown. Then I brushed my teeth, sat next to Mr. Janine on the sofa and read some of my book while he read his. After about an hour, we turned out the lights and went to bed. I snuggled up next to him and he put his arm around me...and the DLBP. Then he got very still and quiet and I totally ruined the moment by laughing so hard that only weird, choking noises came out of my mouth.

Seriously, people. He didn't notice my new hunchback until we got to bed.

It's going to take me a little while to think up the next prank. It's going to be really hard to top that.

ps. In case you were wondering about my bedtime packing list, it was: SE with the usual wallety contents, 2 Flip & Tumble 24/7 bags, a size 2 TSS with a few granola bars and kidtreats in it, a small first aid kit, and a lightly packed Diaper Charmer. It's all my usual EDC stuff.

icebeng
07-28-2014, 10:12 PM
Too bad the lights were turned out, his expression must have been priceless!

Note to self: never read another Janine post during lunch. Fish and chips isn't really that good with a coffee dressing. -.-"

ncb4
07-29-2014, 11:24 AM
I am a purple-girl myself with a genetic pull to all blues. My Daylighter is plum but I just ordered a SCB in Burned Orange just to get the color into this house. (My husband is not willing to jump the cliff jet, he is starting slowly with a black Brain Bag).
I think the Daylighter might be the Cafe Bag under the Backpacks. I know you said you wont order multiple colors (FOR NOW). But if it becomes an often used backpack you might want to consider another color in your future without having to spend the same kind of money as on a Brain Bag. So you can be a bit adventures here.

Let us know what you decide on.

Ilkyway

Sehr gern geschehen!

@Ilkyway, I wanted you to know that I finally made up my mind today and...drum roll, please...decided on Black Dyneema. I'm surprising myself doing this; this is way outside my comfort zone. I am a Color Girl, and I kept finding myself drawn to either the Plum or the Burnt Orange Daylight. But I wanted to do something different, and I really like the items I have in the 400d Nordic Dyneema [Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Swift, Pilot], so there is something about the Black Dyneema Daylight that appeals to me. It may sound silly to say this when ordering something black and white, but this is daring for me! :D

@eWalker, I think it was your many wonderful photos of the Black Dyneema Daylight that persuaded me!

~Nancy

Ilkyway
07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
ncb4 I think you'll love it! I liked eWalkers pictures as much as you and it made me think about black dyneema too. Than Darcys post about the how tough the dyneema is in real live situations... And as I have the cordura version of the Daylighter (my first cordura bag) I have to say: it is much more likely to get dirty than my dyneema bags. Over all: this backpack is so great!!! If I am not using it it is in an other bag to be pulled out at a moments notice. (Waving at eWalker for the great Pilot/Daylighter post).

Ilkyway

eWalker
07-29-2014, 11:59 AM
@Ilkyway, I wanted you to know that I finally made up my mind today and...drum roll, please...decided on Black Dyneema. I'm surprising myself doing this; this is way outside my comfort zone. I am a Color Girl, and I kept finding myself drawn to either the Plum or the Burnt Orange Daylight. But I wanted to do something different, and I really like the items I have in the 400d Nordic Dyneema [Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Swift, Pilot], so there is something about the Black Dyneema Daylight that appeals to me. It may sound silly to say this when ordering something black and white, but this is daring for me! :D

@eWalker, I think it was your many wonderful photos of the Black Dyneema Daylight that persuaded me!

~Nancy

Dear Nancy, I really happy to be helpful! There is a wonderful side of having a black Dyneema bag if you like bright colors...

It makes the other colors stand out!

I choose all my accessories Wasabi for this very reason!

ncb4
07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
@Ilkyway, you have a gift of making people feel good about themselves. I did think of Darcy's post about Dyneema's durability before I ordered. And since I do have a giant furry Newfoundland dog whose favorite activities are shedding and drooling, I was leaning away from Cordura for that reason as well.

@eWalker, I love your photo! I'm already planning to make some colorful paracord zipper pulls for my new Daylight when it arrives. That will add a pop of color, and then it should mingle well with the rest of my TB family of bags, too. I also ordered a Wasabi 3DOC, an extra-small Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack, and a small UV TSS. Can't wait!

bermudajes
08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
I can't decide if it's a blessing or a curse that I just discovered this thread, as my latest TB order shipped yesterday. I liked the DLBP when I first saw it, but now I'm in love. And as I just gave up my S19, I obviously must have a backpack replacement. Oh, and a handful of OPs. My incoming steel Night Flight needs some colorful accessories in French Blue and Plum and UV to adorn it!

Will need to bulk up my wish list a little to justify shipping another order. But this bag is now on the top of my list.

Jeff A
10-07-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm so torn on the Daylight Backpack, want a French Blue one in the worst way! I already have a Synapse 25 for my EDC/work bag. It can be overkill sometimes for smaller loads. My Co-Pilot will then take over in that situation.

It looks like the DLBP fits inside of the WF but I already have a large packing cube for my WF and two small WF packing cubes for the other side. I wish it had the Cache with Rails systems for my laptop and soon-to-be-purchased iPad mini Cache.

The DLBP is definitely a WANT, not a NEED at this time. I'm sure I could talk myself into it, though, haha!

monkeylady
10-07-2014, 09:55 AM
@JeffA, maybe it should go on your wish list for Christmas....how many more shopping days?

Pokilani
10-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I love my DLBP for light loads and find the non-padded straps to be perfectly comfortable. Let's face it, sometimes you just need to carry a few things in backpack mode and don't need all that padding. I, too, wish is had the rails system, but I've just been putting something soft on the bottom and my MBA in the lower pocket. It kinda makes the top pocket useless, but I just utilize all the key straps for my pouches and organizer cubes. Now I want a French blue one too. I just got a S19 and SA though so it's really just a want, not a need. I think yours is in the need category though.

Jeff A
10-07-2014, 10:33 AM
I love my DLBP for light loads and find the non-padded straps to be perfectly comfortable. Let's face it, sometimes you just need to carry a few things in backpack mode and don't need all that padding. I, too, wish is had the rails system, but I've just been putting something soft on the bottom and my MBA in the lower pocket. It kinda makes the top pocket useless, but I just utilize all the key straps for my pouches and organizer cubes. Now I want a French blue one too. I just got a S19 and SA though so it's really just a want, not a need. I think yours is in the need category though.

TB enabling from a fellow Wisconsinite :)

Pokilani
10-07-2014, 11:41 AM
TB enabling from a fellow Wisconsinite :)

Jeff A, I'm just trying to be supportive!

Rufus
02-15-2016, 12:26 PM
I know this is an old thread but, from the product page:
>We offer the Daylight Backpack in two fabric options: durable yet light 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop with 200d Dyneema®/nylon ripstop interior pockets, for those who intend to use it primarily as a travel pack or summit pack; and a beefier version in 1000d Cordura with 420d HT Parapack interior pockets, for those who intend to use it daily.

This would be my first dyneema bag, but I'm curious about this statement. Wouldn't the dyneema version also be suitable for daily use? The DLBP has been out a while now, so maybe some people here may have some new opinions based on long term use.

thanks.

marytattoo
02-15-2016, 03:03 PM
I know this is an old thread but, from the product page:
>We offer the Daylight Backpack in two fabric options: durable yet light 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop with 200d Dyneema®/nylon ripstop interior pockets, for those who intend to use it primarily as a travel pack or summit pack; and a beefier version in 1000d Cordura with 420d HT Parapack interior pockets, for those who intend to use it daily.

This would be my first dyneema bag, but I'm curious about this statement. Wouldn't the dyneema version also be suitable for daily use? The DLBP has been out a while now, so maybe some people here may have some new opinions based on long term use.

thanks.
In my opinion both are fine for all activities. However, for traveling, dyneema is lighter for when luggage weight is a consideration. A Dyneema DLBP can easily double as a packing cube during travel. Cordura is a heavier material and feels a bit more substantial. It has more structure, making it easier when toting around laptops, etc. FWIW.

whodat
03-01-2016, 12:26 AM
My Daylight Backpack (DLBP) just arrived in Black Dyneema. I really like the bag in Dyneema for its ability to pack into my other bags to be used at my travel destination but wanted to give the back of the DLBP more structure and padding. A small Eagle Creek (EC) Pack-It Folder or a Large Tom Bihn (TB) Organizer Pouch fits in the bottom of the 2 pockets against the back of the DLBP. In the EC folder is a folded shirt along with the plastic packing board it came with and in the TB pouch is a folded shirt and a magazine. I can see one of these set-ups working for me for my my travels.

b1gsky
03-03-2016, 07:17 AM
I saw the revival of this thread and thought I'd add some pictures of my own to it. I've had my DLBP since December and it has almost completely replaced my handbag as EDC. I usually carry only very few things, I hate to schlep unnecessary stuff around with me. This is my set up for music lessons...

The blue pouch usually contains tissues, eyeglass cleaning cloth, lip balm, wallet and phone. I either carry it in the big compartment in the top pouch or in the front. My keys always go in the front pocket secured with a key strap. The umbrella fits horizontally in the bottom of the main compartment. If I carry my water bottle it's usually the most comfortable when it's also carried horizontally. Vertical is only a good idea if I carry my scarf for padding or other heavier things to fill up the empty space beside it (usually books when I'm doing library runs for work). I didn't have problems with leaking yet, fingers crossed. The ring binder in the picture contains my sheet music and music book btw (all DIN A 4) and fits into the bottom pouch of the main compartment. My work keys get secured in the main compartment using a s-biner when needed. This is especially good for my peace of mind - I once lost them when I didn't realise I had a hole in one of my old backpacks (luckily it was around work and someone found them).

And the DLBP was perfect for my recent trip to Rome. If anyone is interested I could post some pictures of the travel set up. I love how small it packs down into the bigger bag.

When I ordered the DLBP I just bought the backpack and two key straps. I definitely want to add a Side Effect to my collection for travel and days I'm only carrying the essentials and don't need a backpack, but I'm unsure what other things to add. Definitely more key straps, but besides? Still thinking about it.

tpnl
03-03-2016, 07:52 AM
Great pictures @b1gsky!

It would be great to see pictures of your travel setup and how you used your DLBP as well as it packed in a bigger bag.

Thanks!
Cheers!

John
03-03-2016, 07:53 AM
And the DLBP was perfect for my recent trip to Rome. If anyone is interested I could post some pictures of the travel set up. I love how small it packs down into the bigger bag.

Yes please! I don't know whether you saw a similar post like this from evbro the other day:

http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/10770-my-brand-new-synapse-25-daylight-backpack-system.html

I'm wondering whether I should get a Dyneema DLBP as a small folded up bag for use on holiday. At the moment, I have a Ristretto and a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag which I received yesterday. I'm not sure yet whether the PCSB will be big enough for what I might want to carry around on holiday (it depends where I go I guess, e.g. if coat, hat, gloves etc are required) or whether something bigger like a DLBP would be good. Plus in either case maybe also a folded up Shop Bag to carry bought items.

When I ordered the DLBP I just bought the backpack and two key straps. I definitely want to add a Side Effect to my collection for travel and days I'm only carrying the essentials and don't need a backpack, but I'm unsure what other things to add. Definitely more key straps, but besides? Still thinking about it.

Actually, my mum received a DLBP today so I'll take a look at hers tonight but it's cordura because she didn't like the Dyneema colours. I got her a Side Effect (for use separately or inside the DLBP if she wants more organisation), two small Dyneema organiser pouches and the associated key straps.

b1gsky
03-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Okay, I took some pics for you. Might be overkill, but here it comes...

My trip was eight days with Ryanair. I was onebagging it using my Osprey Farpoint 40. Ryanair has a limit of 22lbs and would thoretically allow a second personal item (like a small purse), I went with the one bag and in the end came up to around 17 lbs. That's really all that I can comfortable carry on my back anyway because I am only 5'3" and slender. And I need that waist belt on the Osprey, sadly I don't think I could do something like the Aeronaut 30 with all that weight only on my shoulders and the amount of walking I usually do.

I just threw in some stuff to show you how the configuration looked, so obviously it was a bit more tightly packed when all was inside. That's an old Eagle Creek Pack-It Cube in red holding all my clothes and an Eagle Creek Pack-It Half Cube in black holding underwear, socks, tights and pjs. The polka dot beauty case is repurposed to hold cables, camera stuff and assorted things. The second pair of shoes I packed are a size 38EU. Umbrella at the bottom of the bag with DLBP folded and secured on top of the packing cube. In the middle my DSLR in a Domke wrap. Blue pouch again with wallet, phone etc in the laptop compartment of the bag, together with my travelguide. In the second zipped compartment my liquids bag holding all my toiletries, plus washing powder and sink stopper.

Here's how I carried my DLBP:

I had tissues and lip balm in the front compartment for easy access and secured an old little wallet holding the eyeglass cleaning cloth and metro ticket with a key strap. I had the main zipper secured with an s-biner. In the top pouch I carried my travelguide and my scarf when I wasn't wearing it. The umbrella was at the bottom of the main compartment with my DSLR in the Domke wrap on top next to a water bottle. I didn't take my own bottle (you saw it in the other picture) but bought water at the supermarket and refilled at the public water fountains. A lot of the time I carried my camera around my neck and had only the wrap in the backpack, with the water bottle horizontally. I have an EOS 400D (I think you know it as Rebel XTi) and took only my EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM. I've really gone off carrying all my lenses around and really enjoy the light weight of the camera with only the pancake lens. I had the blue pouch holding my wallet and phone plus keys secured in the bottom pouch, as inaccessible as possible. It didn't bother me because I don't use my phone for taking pictures so I didn't really need to have it at hand, plus I always kept enough cash to pay for my next coffee or gelato in my jeans pocket or the little wallet.

As for outerwear - I took only my wool coat because I dislike raingear in the city and far prefer something breathable in combination with an umbrella. I actually managed to stuff my wool coat in the DLBP once for storing it at the checkroom of the vatican museum (I carried my camera around my neck and the blue pouch in my hand). But mostly I just wore the coat open or over my arm when it was warm. If I would have worn my rain jacket instead it would have been absolutely no problem to carry it in the DLBP too. And with the camera around my neck I actually went grocery shopping with it on the way home without the need to ask for cheap plastic bags (bottle of wine, bread, cheese, tomatoes...)!

b1gsky
03-03-2016, 09:53 AM
Actually, my mum received a DLBP today so I'll take a look at hers tonight but it's cordura because she didn't like the Dyneema colours. I got her a Side Effect (for use separately or inside the DLBP if she wants more organisation), two small Dyneema organiser pouches and the associated key straps.

I thought I could use the Side Effect as personal item on the plane or as organiser in the DLBP. And to carry my essentials in museums in case I have to check the DLBP again! I think some organiser pouches are a good idea too. I also thought about getting a Q-kit to hold my headphones and iPod (yes, I still carry one of those around). And I thought of buying a 3D Clear Organizer Cube to replace the cheap one I use as a liquids bag and toiletry kit right now.

Pokilani
03-03-2016, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering whether I should get a Dyneema DLBP as a small folded up bag for use on holiday. At the moment, I have a Ristretto and a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag which I received yesterday. I'm not sure yet whether the PCSB will be big enough for what I might want to carry around on holiday (it depends where I go I guess, e.g. if coat, hat, gloves etc are required) or whether something bigger like a DLBP would be good. Plus in either case maybe also a folded up Shop Bag to carry bought items.

I have packed my Dyneema DLBP on every single trip I have taken since I got it. Except one and on that trip, I kept asking myself, "how could I have forgotten to take my DLBP?" Even my sister nagged me a bit for not packing it while we were hiking saying, "I can't believe you didn't pack your DLBP. You knew were were hiking and I was counting on you to carry my stuff." It does fold up very easily and I love it's stealth-like profile. I'm quite short and it covers most of my back, but I never feel like it is too big for me. For extra organization, the PCSB fits beautifully in the DLBP. Here's me in action with it. When traveling, I fold it in half and place it in the back compartment of the A30 or WF, where the backpack straps are stored. I've carried it in urban settings (like London), the beach, hiking, and for work. I've often referred to it as my BFF. It is the most comfortable backpack I have every worn.

John
03-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Thank you for the pictures and description, b1gsky!

Looking at your pictures of your Dyneema DLBP and also my mum's cordura DLBP just now, I'm surprised at how much it holds inside but without appaering too big inside. I also like how the Dyneema folds up so that from your picture it's not bigger than an item of clothing when packed. I can see myself getting one ... perhaps when it comes out in Halcyon! Not only for travel but (perhaps) as a low profile gym bag (basically to carry a pair of shoes and clothing).

I also enjoy carrying around just a small camera (in my case, a Panasonic GF1 micro 4/3 camera) with pancake lens (equivalent to 40mm) rather than the whole DSLR caboodle. I'm forced to try and be more creative (and use my feet) rather then be lazy and zoom.

John
03-03-2016, 03:27 PM
Thanks too for the photo, Pokilani. Beautiful background wherever you were! As just mentioned, I can see myself picking up a DLBP in Dyneema (perhaps Halcyon when it comes out). It didn't occur to me until you mentioned it that the PCSB (or possibly even two - if so, my wish list grows ever longer...) would fit well inside the DLBP.

b1gsky
03-03-2016, 04:03 PM
I can see myself getting one ... perhaps when it comes out in Halcyon! Not only for travel but (perhaps) as a low profile gym bag (basically to carry a pair of shoes and clothing).

I also enjoy carrying around just a small camera (in my case, a Panasonic GF1 micro 4/3 camera) with pancake lens (equivalent to 40mm) rather than the whole DSLR caboodle. I'm forced to try and be more creative (and use my feet) rather then be lazy and zoom.

I think a black Halcyon DLBP is going to look fantastic! I want my SE to be black Halcyon. And I think the DLBP would work really well as a gym bag. I've also been using mine regularly going for a swim. It's truly a great size.

And I totally agree about getting more creative with only one fixed focus lens. My photography has become so much better...

John
03-03-2016, 04:19 PM
I think a black Halcyon DLBP is going to look fantastic! I want my SE to be black Halcyon. And I think the DLBP would work really well as a gym bag. I've also been using mine regularly going for a swim. It's truly a great size.

Another EDC, gym and travel - I'm sold. My indecision whether to wait until it comes out in Halcyon is put on hold for the moment because I see that all the Dyneema DLBP are sold out...

bchaplin
03-03-2016, 06:12 PM
The Daylight Backpack is really versatile. I think of mine as the consolidator. Even though I don't use it every day, it's fantastic to take along when I will end up with extra items to carry home, to save having two or three bags. It handled groceries for me this morning, and it will go along to Germany as my plane seat item.

This is one bag I'll definitely re-buy in Halcyon grey.

Those of you who are waiting for that, please don't forget to vote! The DLBP is falling behind (http://forums.tombihn.com/general-bag-discussion/10761-introducing-tom-bihn-halcyon-fabric-white-grid-black-grid-10.html#post118686)...

[scroll to the top of the page after clicking on the link, to see the poll]

Mine, sitting unobtrusively on my office floor today. Made the commute home so much more organized:

b1gsky
04-13-2016, 03:06 AM
Trial packed my DLBP for an upcoming weekend away! It's two nigths from Friday evening until Sunday evening. I plan to wear jeans, sneakers, tee, wool cardigan and a rain jacket. It's three hours by train on each leg of the journey and we plan to do lots of cooking/eating/drinking the weekend, with some swimming on Saturday and a bit of hiking on Sunday.

Here's what I packed:

+ e-reader in the top pocket of the main compartment
+ Q-Kit with iPod and headphones plus charger for iPod, e-reader and phone
+ SE with wallet, phone, keys and some small stuff
+ Spiff Kit Deluxe which is a perfect fit in the lower pocket (with the SE above it you have a great back panel!)
+ water bottle
+ Eagle Creek Pack-It Half Cube containing my clothes

I packed underwear, two tees, my bikini (can borrow a towel) and my Icebreaker leggings for sleeping (with a tee).

I bought the Steel Spiff Kit on Ebay, btw. It's a great replacement for my old one, especially for the money I paid for it! I probably wouldn't have ordered it here, but I'm now happy to own it.

Ditmo
04-13-2016, 01:15 PM
Here's what I packed:

+ e-reader in the top pocket of the main compartment
+ Q-Kit with iPod and headphones plus charger for iPod, e-reader and phone
+ SE with wallet, phone, keys and some small stuff
+ Spiff Kit Deluxe which is a perfect fit in the lower pocket (with the SE above it you have a great back panel!)
+ water bottle
+ Eagle Creek Pack-It Half Cube containing my clothes

Love this! I'm staring at your beautiful photos trying to figure it out, but perhaps I can just ask: is that the packing cube in the same pocket with your e-reader, or the Side Effect?

b1gsky
04-13-2016, 01:23 PM
It's the Side Effect! The packing cube wouldn't fit in there. That one is next to my water bottle, vertically.

Ditmo
04-13-2016, 01:25 PM
It's the Side Effect! The packing cube wouldn't fit in there. That one is next to my water bottle, vertically.

Got it, of course! I love your setup. Perfect!

haraya
04-30-2016, 07:35 PM
Can petite owners of a DLBP talk to me about the absence of a sternum strap? I just got a DLBP in original Halcyon and am iffy about the straps' positioning on my frame. They sort of migrate outward on me and I worry that they will chafe if I use it for for extended periods. (I haven't had a chance to give it a good test run around the house. Kids and their sports schedules...)

Mainly I envision the DLBP as travel daypack, not EDC - I like the thought that I can have a backpack if I need it, but am not incurring extra weight. I've taken my PCBP on a long trip and used that as a daypack - it was great because it was so light and stowable, but had no real internal organization (hence the DLBP consideration). I tied the PCBP straps together with a bandanna sometimes. But whenever I had a smaller load I switched to my SCB (sometimes supplemented by a small Shop Bag) - the PCBP was just too big and unstructured for sightseeing-type activities.

Has anyone used a third-party sternum strap? Wondering how well that would work with the webbing straps. I'm trying to decide if I will really use the DLBP, or if I would be better off just bringing my beloved S19 as personal item and daypack on big trips.

Another alternate use case is that I may give it to my mom for a possible EDC. She's been saying her current backpack is too heavy - both the bag and the contents. She's shorter than I am though, so I do want to find out if it's comfy in daily rotation for petite owners. (But then of course the question would be - keep the original flavor for myself, and get her a new Halcyon one? Or give her the original? :))

Pokilani
04-30-2016, 09:44 PM
@haraya, where do you worry about chafing? I have narrow shoulders and I find the DLBP very comfortable as long as it is balanced and not overstuffed. I do feel the straps might migrate outward a tiny bit, but I don't feel like it is going to fall off or anything. For me, it is more comfortable than my S19. I cannot wear a tank with the bag as it will bother me, but pretty much all backpacks bother me with a tank top.

haraya
05-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks Pokilani!! Right under the arms - inside of my bicep. I've only done a light test load in the house (I don't want to take the tags off yet if it's to be a gift for my mom :)). You are right about the tank top, that was my concern as well. On the S19 the sternum strap serves to pull the shoulder straps slightly away from my body altogether (i.e. the straps touch me at the top of my shoulder and at my rib cage, but hover slightly at the underarm junction).

I think part of the problem is I don't know exactly what situations I will use this DLBP for. But maybe that's a sign that I'm getting too narrowly focused in my search. Better to stick with the bag that fits me well and serves me in 95% of situations, vs. the bag that might be ideal 5% of the time but is uncomfortable. ;p

Thanks again!!

@haraya, where do you worry about chafing? I have narrow shoulders and I find the DLBP very comfortable as long as it is balanced and not overstuffed. I do feel the straps might migrate outward a tiny bit, but I don't feel like it is going to fall off or anything. For me, it is more comfortable than my S19. I cannot wear a tank with the bag as it will bother me, but pretty much all backpacks bother me with a tank top.

imagineez
06-22-2016, 01:09 PM
I'm using my Daylight Backpack with S25 Freudian Slip (for greater organization) as my gym bag. Here are some pics:

ETA1: I put an extra change of clothes in the 2nd shingled pocket (not shown), which is still easily accessible despite the S25 FS present.

ETA2: I also use the Iberian stuff sack (size 4) for used gym clothes - you'll see I placed the stuff sack in the top shingled pocket.

imagineez
06-22-2016, 01:11 PM
Forgot one more picture...

eliza
06-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Awesome photos - and combos. I ♥ Dyneema so much.

fredlet
08-21-2016, 09:01 PM
Can petite owners of a DLBP talk to me about the absence of a sternum strap? I just got a DLBP in original Halcyon and am iffy about the straps' positioning on my frame. They sort of migrate outward on me and I worry that they will chafe if I use it for for extended periods.

I use this backpack so much more than others because the straps are so comfortable. They are wide enough and don't curl so the distributed weight is perfect. I'm 5'3" and haven't needed a sternum strap for this one.