Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 15,276   Posts: 197,764   Members: 7,230   Active Members: 173
Welcome to our newest member, FrodoBaggin.

A Special Plug For Lära Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zephyrnoid
    Forum Member
    • Feb 2006

A Special Plug For Lära Bars

The three American companies that I love most are Apple, Tom Bihn and Lärabar.
    This is a plug for my favorite nutrition bar. I just discovered that Costco sells cases of Lärabar - so I just picked up 6 for the Winter stash! I have a very restricted diet and have never found an equal replacement for Lärabars. Everywhere that my Macbook and Tom Bihn luggage travel, so do my Lära Bars!
    Last edited by Zephyrnoid; 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM.
  • maverick
    Volunteer *********
    • Mar 2004

i haven't tried a lärabar, but i have to agree with you on tom bihn and apple.

curious what dietary restrictions lead you to the lärabar. i've enjoyed some of the bar offerings from odwalla - have you tried these? i love their stuff because everything they offer is completely vegetarian.

lately, i've been trying to always have fresh food. they say it is best to prepare food and eat it right away rather than eating foods that have been prepared ahead of time. this also means not reheating food cooked earlier in the day or on an earlier day. this was easy while i was in India. but it's a bit challenging with the lifestyle i follow here in the US. there is a lot to do and there are only so many hours in the day. i am happy if i am eating home made food, reheated or not :-) - as opposed to packaged foods.

i used to have the odwalla superprotein bars after a work out. i've also opted for an amy's texas burger (vegan) or some sort of vegan dog. they all provide between 12g and 17g of protein and taste good.

but if i can pull it off, i prefer to have a bowl of lentil soup - a great source of protein.

as i said, it's not always easy with the busy life we lead .

so what makes the lärabar unique? which flavors from lärabar do you like? and do you know if they are vegetarian? i prefer vegan, but i can do dairy on a limited basis. i don't do eggs.

maverick
    -m

Comment

• Zephyrnoid
      Forum Member
      • Feb 2006

Odwalla and I go way back! We helped pilot a prototype e-commerce site for them when they started. I love thier juices & certain of thier bars are just shy of my diet. Basically I have a Sodium and Complex Carbs restricted diet. LäraBar are the ONLY super low sodium bar on the market that I know of! It's not an issue most people even have to think about. for me- it's a daily trial of patience. I can't eat most 'packaged' or even restaurant food. Good thing I'm an ace in the kitchen

Comment

• moriond
        Volunteer Moderator
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by maverick View Post
        do you know if they are vegetarian? i prefer vegan, but i can do dairy on a limited basis. i don't do eggs.

maverick
        From the label:
        No added sugar * Unprocessed * Raw * Non-GMO * Gluten Free * Dairy Free * Soy Free * Vegan * Kosher
        For more information see: http://www.larabar.com/

I like the lemon.

Comment

• Just
          Volunteer *********
          • Mar 2006

It sounds awesome! The Apple Pie, Banana Cookie, Cashew Cookie, Pecan Pie, and Cinnamon Roll sound like ones I might try

Comment

• maverick
            Volunteer *********
            • Mar 2004

thanks for the info on the ingredients moriond!

zephyrnoid, having as much as you can fresh from the kitchen is the best thing for you. i'll check out the lärabars. their website looks delicious!

maverick
            -m

Comment

• Darcy
              TOM BIHN Crew (we work here)
              • May 2003

lärabars rock! My favorite is the cherry pie flavor. I didn't even know they had new flavors like Cinnamon Roll and Pecan Pie.

I've always liked shopping at Costco because I've read that they treat their employees well. In the past year or two it seems that they've really made an effort to add healthy and organic foods to their selection of products. I love that I can get lärabars, Kashi bars, Odwalla, San Pellegrino, and organic maple syrup, crackers and cereals, produce and raisins at Costco. I hope they'll start carrying natural cleaning products and recycled paper products soon.
              Have a question? @Darcy (to make sure I see it)

Current carry: testing new potential materials in the form of Original Large Shop Bags.

Comment

• maverick
                Volunteer *********
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                I love that I can get lärabars, Kashi bars, Odwalla, San Pellegrino, and organic maple syrup, crackers and cereals, produce and raisins at Costco.
                this is making me hungry!
                -m

Comment

• moriond
                  Volunteer Moderator
                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Just View Post
                  It sounds awesome! The Apple Pie, Banana Cookie, Cashew Cookie, Pecan Pie, and Cinnamon Roll sound like ones I might try
                  Just, you can pick these up at Kokua Market (on King St. near University). The rest of you will have to find your own stashes, although Darcy looks all set.

Comment

• Just
                    Volunteer *********
                    • Mar 2006

Thanks moriond! I can head there today to check them out!

Comment

• PM4HIRE
                      Forum Member
                      • Dec 2006

Yes Darcy, Costco provides their employees with decent hourly wages, does not abuse them, and offers group health insurance, usual for the discount retail sector. My beef with Costco is that most things are made in China. So I buy what little I do buy from companies like yours, made in America when I can.

Another neat small company that I've bought US made winter gear from is called "Winter Green Designs", but you won't find their $295 parka in a Costco store, click http://www.wintergreendesigns.com/ to learn more. I'm always searching out little gems like yours. Thank God for the internet!

Tom in AZ
                      Last edited by PM4HIRE; 12-13-2006, 04:22 PM.
                      Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA

Travel Lite & Smart

Comment

• Zephyrnoid
                        Forum Member
                        • Feb 2006

You will NOT be disapointed with the flavours as they are totally natural and have that 'freshness' about them! I have my FAVs but frankly they all taste great to me. As a confirmed bananaholic- Banana Cookie is my fav!

Originally posted by Just View Post

Comment

• Zephyrnoid
                          Forum Member
                          • Feb 2006

"Yes!" to COSTCO. As a food snob, I was hugely surprised and converted when I discovered that COSTCO sources out premium products in bulk.My pallate told me that the first time I tried it. Too bad they don't have the concept in Europe!
                          It makes me chuckle that you can buy Swiss Chocolate and Swiss Watches and Swiss Hearing Aids in Costco for 1/2 what they cost in Switzerland. LOL !!! I wish I'd known you liked Lärabars sooner...
                          How many people work at the Tom Bihn factory?

Originally posted by Darcy View Post
                          lärabars rock! My favorite is the cherry pie flavor. I didn't even know they had new flavors like Cinnamon Roll and Pecan Pie.

I've always liked shopping at Costco because I've read that they treat their employees well. In the past year or two it seems that they've really made an effort to add healthy and organic foods to their selection of products. I love that I can get lärabars, Kashi bars, Odwalla, San Pellegrino, and organic maple syrup, crackers and cereals, produce and raisins at Costco. I hope they'll start carrying natural cleaning products and recycled paper products soon.

Comment

• Just
                            Volunteer *********
                            • Mar 2006

I just tried the Apple Pie and it was delish!!! I was almost embarrassed as I almost really did start to hum! haha.. I am looking forward to trying the others that I picked up too. No Banana Cookie though Maybe for that I will turn to Costco as I know I won't regret buying Larabars now.

Comment

• Zephyrnoid
                              Forum Member
                              • Feb 2006

I just received a deluge of mail from kind sponsors of my recent projects to admonish me for my shameless favoritism- and they're right.Twas not very 'PC' of me. So here's my amended list of favorite American Companies with no ranking intended. Note, I'm defining American as 'Corporate Base In America' , Designed in USA and Filing Taxes to our IRS.Obviously I highly endorse 'manufactured in USA'

- Apple Computers
                              - Tom Bihn
                              - iomega
                              - Lära Bar
                              - ProBar
                              - GU sports
                              - PowerGel
                              - Kos Pharmaceuticals, Inc
                              - MAG Inc
                              - ALOKSAK
                              - Motorolla
                              - Starbucks
                              - Dr. Bronner's
                              - Adventure Medical
                              - Halls
                              - Trident
                              - Ranger Knives
                              - Whole Foods
                              - Estwing
                              - Target
                              - Garmin
                              - Palm Inc
                              - NukeAlert
                              - RadDetect
                              - LL Bean
                              - Corcoran & Matterhorn Boots
                              - Oakley/ESS
                              - ID-On Me
                              - OhSo
                              - Chapstick
                              - Otter Products
                              - ACR Electronics
                              - REI
                              - Cabelas
                              - Spiewak
                              - BlackHawk
                              - Maxpedition
                              - Barnes & Noble
                              - Surefire
                              - TnC Custom Products
                              - Camelbak
                              - 5.11 Tactical
                              - Dickies
                              - Bullard
                              - Sage Rods
                              - Lamson Reels
                              Oh gosh! The list is too long. I love you all!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X