PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Headphones

marshallj
09-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Hey all, the two things I have with me the most when i'm going somewhere are a TB bag and my headphones. I' recently my Bose died and I found an amazing pair after researching for days. I thought I'd pass it out here not too expensive for a good pair of headphones and they're fully made in the USA. they're water resistant and really comfy. If you're particular about your headphones you should check these out. You can find them for ABOUT 40% off MSRP right now.

http://www.westoneaudio.com/index.php/products/adventure-series/adventure-series-alpha.html

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/summer-2014-buyers-guide/summer-2014-buyers-guide-the-gear@gpkg/tech/The-Best-Wearable-Tech-of-2014#slide-5

saikyo
09-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Does anyone have other headphone recommendations? Specifically for use on airplanes where the ambient noise in the cabin can get really loud?

moriond
09-27-2014, 01:52 PM
Does anyone have other headphone recommendations? Specifically for use on airplanes where the ambient noise in the cabin can get really loud?

@saikyo You might want to read through the Bose headphones question (http://forums.tombihn.com/not-about-bags/8015-bose-headphones-question.html) thread from July to view suggestions. The Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well discussed in this forum thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/travel-tips/7509-wirecutter-guide-traveling-well.html) recommends the Bose QC20s (http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-in-ear-headphones-so-far/) (or QC20is if you have an iOS device), and that's one of the brands recommended in the TB forum thread I linked, but read through the end for other suggestions, that include Etymotic (http://www.etymotic.com/) and Westone (http://www.westoneaudio.com/) (the brand in the original post in this thread).

HTH moriond

jea
10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I am a frequent international flyer for business, and I bought a pair of Shure SE 215s in-ear headphones about a year ago, specifically thinking about my travel needs and the ambient noise of airplanes. Ive been really happy with them, although Ill admit Im not an audiophile. Good sound, comfortable, well made, lightweight, easy to pack, and work great on airplanes. No noise-canceling function on these, but with a good seal on the earphones, you get an effect very similar to wearing ear plugs.

marshallj
03-29-2015, 07:33 AM
After having both noise canceling Bose and just a good pair of headphones and being a frequent flyer, my personal opinion is that the noise cancelling is a bit of a gimmick. If you have a good pair of headphones first make sure the ear buds really fit. It makes a big difference on headphones in the $100+ range. If you want better noise reduction you can get ear buds custom fit for your ears depending on the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peruvian
03-30-2015, 04:17 PM
I used to own the Bose QC 3's Noise Cancelling headphones. Great at noise cancelling, not so great sound (I am an audiophile). After a few hours on long (8+ hours) flights these headphones would get very uncomfortable and make my ears very sore, eventhough they are over-the-ear. I sold them and bought the original Monster Beat Studio headphones. SUPERB sound and superb noise cancelling. Very comfortable and no problems whatsoever. The only drawback of these is the size inside the supplied case, but they fit beautifully inside one of the side pockets of the Pilot and the bottom pocket of the S25.

The day after last Christmas I bought the Bose QC20i noise cancelling in-ear headphones. Great at noise cancelling, comfortable but very poor sound quality. I returned them and bought the Shure SE 215's. AMAZING sound and comfort. And even though they do not have "active" noise cancelling, they have noise isolation which works excellent in these earphones. As far as I'm concerned, they could easily be classified as "noise-cancelling" as they block 80-90% of outside noise (even in loud planes.) I could not recommend these earphones enough. The only drawback for iPhone users is that it doesn't have an in-line remote, meaning that you can't take calls or increase/reduce volume or FF/rewind a song. They do offer the cable with the remote for an additional $50.

I use the Mini Q-Kit to store my Shure SE 215 headphones as the provided Shure pouch squeezes and "cuts" the ear foams of the headphones.

I absolutely love these headphones, but if money is no object for you, I would go with the SE 425 (dual micro drivers) or the SE 535 (triple micro drivers).

HTH

Badger
03-30-2015, 04:39 PM
I returned them and bought the Shure SE 215's. AMAZING sound and comfort. And even though they do not have "active" noise cancelling, they have noise isolation which works excellent in these earphones. As far as I'm concerned, they could easily be classified as "noise-cancelling" as they block 80-90% of outside noise (even in loud planes.) I could not recommend these earphones enough. The only drawback for iPhone users is that it doesn't have an in-line remote, meaning that you can't take calls or increase/reduce volume or FF/rewind a song. They do offer the cable with the remote for an additional $50.

I use the Mini Q-Kit to store my Shure SE 215 headphones as the provided Shure pouch squeezes and "cuts" the ear foams of the headphones.

For those of you using an iPhone, the Apple case works very well with Shure SE 215s. The line in jack is too large for the cut-outs of most phone cases (like my beloved Spigen).

I sometimes carry my earphones in a Pocket Pouch because the included case is kind of bulky, but I usually just use the Shure case. I've got the rubber flanges on my 215s so they don't get compressed the way the foam does.

Peruvian
03-30-2015, 04:43 PM
@Badger how do you like your SE215's?

Badger
03-30-2015, 04:52 PM
I love love love them. I'm actually on my third set right now—I've been using them for around 10 years and they do wear out eventually (sweat, extreme temps, that sort of thing). I totally agree that they block out most of the noise on a plane, and that's amazing in such a light package. They're so good at blocking out noise that I make an extra effort to be aware of my surroundings when I'm walking around. I've honestly not heard Big Things (like buses) roaring up behind me.

nimikor
03-30-2015, 07:02 PM
For you audiophiles out there you may want to check out a kickstarter campaign that I have signed up to support.
UAMP - Soul Shaking Audio for Your Ears by Bartosz Kowalski & Joseph Chehade — Kickstarter (http://e3.kickstarter.com/mpss/c/6QA/6TYCAA/t.1lq/bttv3abHTOqa6K9ZBHluBw/h3/-2B6hsAm6t13f-2FjJNi891akckYdA1XhXoKFx2i-2F9-2B7slY-3D)

Uamp is a tiny amp that significantly boosts the performance of your portable devise.

marytattoo
03-30-2015, 08:15 PM
My favorite are made by LG and are Bluetooth AND retractable. I bought them at Verizon.

imperator
04-21-2015, 12:08 PM
I second (or third) the SE215, great isolation and over-the-ear support for running, etc (the included pouch also attaches nicely to a key strap :). The newest design iteration boasts replaceable cables, which eliminates the potential for about 99% of earbud failures, so I hope to never need new headphones again.

Snowster
04-22-2015, 07:55 AM
I use a pair of Etymotic HF5's in my bag. Might replace with Master & Dynamic ME-03's soon though.

Hannah
04-22-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the tip on the SE215's! I think I'm going to jump and get them -- I don't know how often they're on sale for $99, but that sounds great to me if the quality is that high. My last pair of headphones were one of the original Beats, which... while I like the over-the-ear headphones, the sound wasn't great on them, especially for the price I paid. Now the wire's going out and sometimes the left speaker dies. I hit this thread at the right time!

Badger
04-22-2015, 11:42 AM
@Hannah, you won't regret the Shures. Once you get used to the fit, you'll love them. And @imperator is right: the replaceable cables make a huge difference, since every time my precious Shures failed, it was because of the cables. And yeah, $99 is a good price, so snap 'em up and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk