PDA

View Full Version : Packing the Night Flight

brendabethman
10-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Night Flight (in aubergine/wasabi) just arrived. I know it's been said before, but dang, this thing is TINY! Did a practice pack this morning and here are some photos: one with the A45 for size comparison, one alone, and one with what I packed.

Here's what I packed:

Side pocket 1:
Stuff sack with hairbrush, mini lint roller, Starbucks Via coffee
Toiletry bag

Side pocket 2:
3-1-1 bag

Center compartment:
NF packing cube: 2 pair socks, 2 pair undies, PJs, cami
NF packing cube: sweater
2 pairs socks (loose in compartment)
Shirt (loose in compartment)
Travel tray with tech stuff

brendabethman
10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
That pretty much filled it. It's a perfect size for 1-2 night trips if you don't bring your workout gear or any extra shoes.

I could see its being a good personal item bag as well, assuming one is traveling sans laptop (an iPad mini and maybe an iPad Air will fit, but not a laptop).

Now I have to decide whether to keep it or return (as I am not sure I would get enough use to justify the $180. I was hoping it could double as a gym bag, but the shoes are a tight fit). Those of you who own the NFTD, what do you use it for?

GoStanford
10-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I have used mine only once and it was as a personal item carry-on. For that purpose it was outstanding. I used lock 'n lock boxes to Tetris pack snacks for the family, side pockets held headphones, figurines, etc.

I felt its main downside for me is that it doesn't hold magazines flat, so I gathered my reading material and put it in my seat pocket during boarding.

I have the Dyneema version. I like its flexibility a lot. I think this bag also would be nice for car trips for holding snacks, sweater, music.

brendabethman
10-04-2014, 03:24 PM
I figured out that if I pack my sneakers in the Daylight backpack that I am also bringing and don't pack the travel tray (I just took the couple of things I needed and put them in a stuff sack), I can in fact manage to pack a workout outfit. Even managed to get a hoodie in one of the NFTD side pockets.

Together, the Daylight and NTFD are the perfect short trip combo.

brendabethman
10-05-2014, 08:47 AM
In the DLBP:
11" MacBook Air
Moleskine notebook
Extra small stuff sack with pens, etc.
Small stuff sack with power brick, cords, medications
Large stuff sack with sneakers
File folder with papers
iPad mini
Side Effect with purse stuff

Pic of the two ready to go:

Truly, the best traveling combo ever.

And on the plane, where both fit under my seat:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/05/fd91be839820965ea83e0d067502d277.jpg

PaulT00
10-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Doing a quick tally tells me that the combination of the NFTD and the DLBP gives a total capacity of 36.5 litres, which is usefully greater than both the Aeronaut 30 (30 litres) and the Tri-Star (33 litres) and a whisker more than the Brain Bag (36 litres). Yet they are both compact - both personal item sized, arguably - and completely different shapes giving more flexibility in both packing and day-to-day use than a single bag of whatever size. That might explain the 'ultimate combo' effect!

brendabethman
10-05-2014, 11:17 AM
That explains it! Also easy to carry. Wore the DLBP and slung the NTFD over my shoulder. Perfect.

brendabethman
10-06-2014, 03:04 AM
And here' said pic of me carrying both bags (plus my SE which I carried in the DLBP for most of the trip). For reference, I am 5'4"