PDA

View Full Version : Side Effect as Travel Organizer (Practice Packing Only)

Squirrel
11-29-2014, 04:08 PM
This will be my first post with photos after a nice practice packing session for a trip to Europe with my two children. The older one is a teenager, the younger will be pretty soon :). As the trip will not be before next spring, this is quite early I admit :o. But I still have to pick up my Pilot as a cabin bag until then (if I am super lucky it will be one in Black Dyneema with Iberian interior, might go for black ballistic if not), so it's good that there is still time!

I want to use my beautiful side effect as a "travel organizer" to hold my wallet(s), travel documents and valuables (if I take any ;)). In short these items will stay on me for the whole flight, if not for the duration of the journey.

I could have fit a whole lot more in the side effect (e.g. a glasses case), but decided against that, as I might move it behind my body in the airplane seat and wanted it to be 'squishy' enough to feel comfortable.

I also have to mention that I am packing here what I usually take on a journey like that. This is not really pared down yet to minimalist style, for example I will take my everyday wallet with drivers license, bank cards and a little cash and my 'German wallet' with my German ID, Euros etc.

Here is what could go into the side effect:
(Starting from top left going clockwise) Cell phone, everyday wallet (minus customer cards etc. only relevant for US), tissues, German wallet, mini OP (in beautiful Cayenne, thanks TB staff!!!) that might hold the little jewelry bag becoming a DIY padded pouch, double zipper pouch (non TB, bought too early but spruced up with iberian key strap) with all our passports and the document wallet to the left for other documents (permanent resident cards, vaccination records, German DL etc.)) In addition I will add a pen, a printout of our itinerary/booking confirmation and later the boarding passes.

Packing it up a bit more:

And now everything is in the side effect:
I think that the side effect will be an unobtrusive, comfortable 'close-to-the-body-bag' :)

The next step will be to practice pack the PCSB to act as a bag for inflight essentials (hooked to the seat bag with TB double carabiners).

eightspokedb
11-29-2014, 04:47 PM
soon, my precioooouuuusssss, soon....

the little mini OP is so cute....makes me want more.....more...more....

Squirrel
11-29-2014, 05:09 PM
soon, my precioooouuuusssss, soon....

Will it be a verde SE for you??

moriond
11-29-2014, 06:52 PM
Great first post with pictures, @Squirrel. Also, thanks for the view of the Black Dyneema/Iberian Side Effect. (I have one on order, but it hasn't shipped yet, although I heard from Customer Service on Friday, in between their being beleagured with the new product debuts of the Parental Unit, Small Cafe Bags, keystraps with O-ring ends, and colored cord pulls that it was actually ready to ship -- that was before I added the PU and some Small Cafe Bags).

Your mini OP in 500d Cayenne Cordura looks great with everything else! If you like the finer texture of 500d, you can also still get a Clear Organizer Wallet in 500d Crimson Cordura, that would also look fantastic with your Black Dyneema/Iberian SE. And, at a later time, you might try one of the new 8" keystraps with an O-ring at one end for your mini pouch.

Another tip: if you find the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag tends to sag a bit when fully packed and suspended for use as a seat pocket bag, you can insert a Medium size double organizer pouch or organizer pouch into the diagonal zippered pocket. The Double Organizer Pouch can work well here to organize travel documents in the clear and fabric sections. Because there are the two different layers, it also works better at stiffening the bag than just a regular medium organizer pouch (that is of any material other than Ballistic Nylon), while still remaining light weight.

HTH moriond

Squirrel
11-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Thank you very much for your tips and thoughts, @moriond!

Had a look at the Crimson wallet on the website, wow, what a gorgeous color! The key straps with o-rings on one side have already made it on my wish list, they are a great addition to the TB portfolio I think.

Thank you also for the idea re. the PCSB. I was aware that it is a bit big for the seat baggie purpose and thus maybe more prone to sagging (200d Dyneema maybe comes into play also) but I feared a side effect might be to small for my in flight necessities :o So it's very good to know how to counteract that :)

peregrina
12-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Thank you for the inspiration Squirrel! I was actually indecisive about bringing my Side Effect to Europe. I'm bringing my MCB inside my Aeronaut to use as my day bag while there since it would fit my knitting and my gloves and hat should I need to take them off but your post got me inspired to check the side effect as small purse to bring during the flight. I added a few pouches - one with British money and the other with Euros and my passport, my wallet, and a mini pouch for business cards. Add a couple pens, lipbalm, change purse and I'm all set! I can fit the Side Effect easily inside my swift, which is my laptop bag for this trip. I'll post some pictures here once I get better internet connection.

eightspokedb
12-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Will it be a verde SE for you??

most likely - although steel is a very close second...

Squirrel
12-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the inspiration Squirrel! I was actually indecisive about bringing my Side Effect to Europe. I'm bringing my MCB inside my Aeronaut to use as my day bag while there since it would fit my knitting and my gloves and hat should I need to take them off but your post got me inspired to check the side effect as small purse to bring during the flight. I added a few pouches - one with British money and the other with Euros and my passport, my wallet, and a mini pouch for business cards. Add a couple pens, lipbalm, change purse and I'm all set! I can fit the Side Effect easily inside my swift, which is my laptop bag for this trip. I'll post some pictures here once I get better internet connection.

Glad that I could help with your travel planning, @peregrina! Sounds like a great setup. Good that the Side Effect will fit into the Swift, so you'll only have two bags for boarding.
Looking forward to your pictures!

mostly likely - although steel is a very close second...

Verde as well as Steel are in stock right now - even Verde with Steel Dyneema interior - decisions, decisions. ;)

eightspokedb
12-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Verde as well as Steel are in stock right now - even Verde with Steel Dyneema interior - decisions, decisions. ;)

I know - how many times have I checked the colors available list - but I keep going back to the Black/Wasabi also. I almost dread when I finally have to make a decision since I will only be able to afford one....unless TB decides to make a Verde/Wasabi one - or a Steel/Wasabi...

help me.....in squeaky mouse voice.....

brendabethman
12-06-2014, 03:31 PM
The Verde is really, really pretty. And it would look good with a wasabi lining. Here it is with a wasabi shop bag:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/06/8136db237b999b23940eb51ada2fe92f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

eightspokedb
12-06-2014, 06:04 PM
The Verde is really, really pretty. And it would look good with a wasabi lining. Here it is with a wasabi shop bag:

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/06/8136db237b999b23940eb51ada2fe92f.jpg

oh my - that is gorgeous....I shall dream of Verde/Wasabi tonight...

peregrina
12-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Here are the pictures of my Side Effect, as promised:

Since I was going to two different countries, using two different currencies, I attached two pouches: one for London and my British pounds and the other for Girona and Euros. The FOT pouch also fits my passport so I put it in there. The smallest pouch is for business cards. With the three punches are a small card case, lip balm, a change purse for my Canadian money, pen, cell phone...

Squirrel
12-10-2014, 01:25 PM
Looks like a great and efficient setup, @peregrina! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Comparing your and my approach one thing is apparent: I clearly need more TB organizing pouches ;)

peregrina
12-12-2014, 12:58 PM
My philosophy is: you can never have too many organizer pouches!

WenV
12-13-2014, 04:23 AM
Hi Peregrina, is your SE the first generation version? I noticed the TB label is on the front side. If so, have you left the waist belt attachments on or have you cut them off? Just interested as I have a similar Plum version but don't use it as much as the waist belt attachments make it bulkier.

peregrina
12-15-2014, 01:34 PM
I suppose it is a first generation SE. I did leave the waist belt attachment on; I just close them and hide inside the clever back space where you can tuck them in when not using. I dont find them bulky at all. I dont even notice them.