PDA

View Full Version : If you're flying at all this holiday season...

blackbird
12-03-2014, 06:40 PM
The US and the UK might be banning carry-on luggage, because of fears over terrorism: http://www.boston.com/travel/destinations/2014/12/02/terrorism-concerns-have-eyeing-carry-luggage-ban/CMZ1KfRRHuI6QpAYKO0jJN/story.html

brendabethman
12-03-2014, 06:49 PM
NOOOOOO....... Please tell me it would be temporary at least? (That wasn't clear from the linked story).

bchaplin
12-04-2014, 04:26 AM
This is worrying. As a resident of boston, though... boston.com is not the most reliable site. I'll start to be concerned if I see this stated elsewhere, in a way that implies that it is a real policy change.

I'm flying later this month. I'd be seriously annoyed to have to check my carryon. I'd follow the lead of another forum member (@kinntea, I think), who put her TB bag inside of a roller.

I assume SOMETHING will be allowed on board, though, right? People can't normally check their computers, iPhones, or other technology --- the potential for problems is astronomical. I'm also curious to know what would happen with all the airlines that charge for checked bags. I guess they would have to waive the fee, at least for the first bag.

Dandelion
12-04-2014, 04:27 AM
Carry-on bags now, clothing next. :rolleyes:

Time for a TB to make us invisible travel bags or some ruby ballistic slippers(Azalea for me!) so we can click our heels three times and say, "there's no place like _____________" and be instantly transported to our destination.:p

blackbird
12-04-2014, 04:37 AM
The boston.com article references this one from NPR: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/12/01/367858791/u-k-security-experts-worried-about-terror-attack-around-christmas

Frank II
12-04-2014, 05:08 AM
The strange thing about the internet is that one website can post something and others will run with it. The concept of fact checking is now extinct.

The more sensational, the better it is. The better chance they have of increasing their audience.

Just like the "Venice banning wheeled luggage" news that was proved to be false, so is this. Homeland Security said this morning they have no plans to ban carry on luggage.

This story, just like the Venice story, was started by British tabloids. Perhaps not the best source of credible information.

brendabethman
12-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Thanks, Frank, for the info. I think it was the NPR link that made me think it was legit. Plus I remember when they did, in fact, ban everything for a bit because of the liquids scare (I think that was in 2006 or so), so figured you never know. If I remember correctly, the U.S. wasn't as bad but I do recall reading about flights from the UK where folks really weren't allowed to bring anything on the plane, not even books.

Vecturist
12-04-2014, 11:29 AM
The closest I think they could come might be limiting carry ons to a personal item and having everyone turn their electronics on. I'm betting there would be too much push back from the airlines ("we just installed wifi, how are we going to recoup costs!") and fliers themselves especially in the business community for anything too radical, especially since the airlines accept no liability for checked electronics.

While I think there might be a grain of truth in the original story, given where this was first published, makes me doubtful of most of it.

I don't think the sky is falling per se, but I am willing to consider there may have been more chatter with the upcoming holidays.

Frank II
12-04-2014, 11:44 AM
The airlines would protest publicly but would smile privately....

No more carry-ons means more checked luggage--for a fee.......Ka-ching
No electronics so you have to rely on what the airline offers. Oh, no headphones, gee, you'll have to buy ours......Ka-ching
You couldn't bring on any luggage means your sweater is in your checked bag and you're cold--you can buy one of our blankets---Ka-ching

Ka-ching, or course, is the sound of the cash register. Anyone remember those cash registers that made noise?

The UK is looking at beefed up security for the holidays and TSA is also looking at beefing up security for flights from the US to the UK--but not banning everything.

Duster
12-04-2014, 10:01 PM
I believe that a ban on carry-on was considered (at least over the holiday period), but quickly dismissed as there was a concern that people would find other forms of transport or just not fly. A sharp decrease in the number of passengers would not be good for the bottom line of the airlines, some of which are making record profits at the moment.

This is one of the more recent stories on the subject - DHS chief: No carry-on bag ban 'at this time' - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/04/politics/johnson-no-tsa-carry-on-ban-at-this-time/index.html).

This story provides more information on the threats that may face the U.K. over the holidays - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/britain-ban-carry-on-luggage-terror-reports-article-1.2028653

Dee
12-05-2014, 08:05 AM
I actually flew from Manchester to Germany when the no carry on rule was in effect in the UK. The airport was handing out zip lock bags, like for the 311 stuff, and you could carry on wallet, phone, the bare essentials basically. If I remember right that was a fairly short notice thing, not something announced in advance. If there is another threat that they take as seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it into effect at short enough notice that changing travel would be impractical.