PDA

View Full Version : Possible trip to Budapest & Prague

Kathy
12-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Hi Everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for some time and have been amazed at the people I've "met." You are all so kind and generous with your travel and packing tips. I've learned so much. Hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas (or other holiday) with your families. I come to you for some recommendations.

My tour to Spain may be canceled, so I'm thinking about joining another tour to Lithuania and Poland (long story) and visiting Budapest for 4 nights (3 full days) pre-tour and Prague for 4 nights (3 full days) post tour on my own or possibly with a few people from the potentially canceled trip to Spain. Does anyone have some recommendations for me? I need a place to stay and think I'd prefer a B&B though a hotel would be fine. I'd like to keep the cost to $100 or so per night--less is good.) Location is important--both for safety reasons and access to the sights. I've never been to either place and want to see and do as much as possible. I can check trip advisor for sights to see, but would love your recommendations. I'm also interested in good places to eat and local entertainment. I'd be traveling in April.

Thanks so much for your help and best wishes to all for a Happy New Year!

backpack
12-26-2014, 12:22 AM
In Poland and Lithuania in April, one freezes the tootsies off.

If at all possible switch for a tour of southern France, southern Italy.

I would recommend Rick Steves web site for a primer of everything Europe.

Some forum members might have visited the places you mention, if so they will give you good advice.

Hope this help!

dnarud13
12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Don't know about Budapest yet, but was in Prague last month (early November) for 4 days and loved it! We stayed at the Lokal Inn (http://www.lokalinn.cz/), which is just off the west end of the Charles Bridge and would definitely stay there again. It was just a little over $100/night when we were there but is more in April. We really preferred the castle side over the larger, 'touristy'er' Old Town. It's a very walkable and more quaint neighborhood. If your feeling a little ambitious you can walk the extra mile or so past the castle up to the monastery. Or better yet, take the funicular up to the park on the hill on the south end of Mala Strana and walk through the park to the monastery and then back down to the castle (it's all a downhill walk that way). You can check out my album (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152878737989380&type=1&l=d0d383081f)of it.

The Bridge (https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152878801189380&l=283259872626364989)was great fun, if you don't mind the crowd. (watch in HD)

Kathy
12-27-2014, 12:37 PM
THANK YOU! Great recommendations for Prague. The Lokal Inn is just what I'm looking for--great location and frequented by locals rather than just tourists. Does anyone have any recommendations for restaurants or is this hotel's restaurant all I really need? (The reviews I read sound like it had great local food at a good price.)