PDA

View Full Version : 2-4-6-8. Here's what Badger took to the Beaver State.

Badger
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
I fit all this stuff in my A45. How, you ask?

By putting the stuff into these cubes, sacks, and pouches.

And then putting the cubes, sacks, and pouches into the A45 (I didn't take the little pink steamed bun mascot; I just thought you might like to see him).

Here's what I took, in the intensely anal-retentive detail you expect from me:
Clothes [Large A45 Packing Cube]: a wool cardigan; a dress shirt and tie; four t-shirts; a hoody; a pair of pants
Clothes [A45 Travel Stuff Sack]: three pairs of Icebreaker chonies; five pairs of socks (three to wear, and two to recycle at the Patagonia store)
Toiletries [3D Clear Organizer Cube]: three little bottles of contact solution (I'm using up a few half-used bottles); toothpaste; hair wax; shower gel; moisturizer
Toiletries [Small Double Organizer Pouch]: floss; tweezers; nail clipper; spare contacts; contact case; eye drops (two kinds)
Pharmaceuticals [Mini Solar OP]: lots of drugs.
Office [Cache, Mesh 3D OC]: 11" MBA; Hobonichi Techo; Field Notes; Sharbo X LT3 (multipen); Pilot RExgrip
Cables [Travel Tray]: MBA charger; iPhone charger; retractable USB/Lightning cable; USB/micro cable; Jackery Bar; car phone charger; Guardian Light
On the plane stuff [Side Effect]: Kindle; earbuds; XS Moleskine Volant; Fisher Space Pen; hand sanitizer; lip balm; mints; Advil; half a pack of Morinaga Hi-Chew; two hard candies (suspiciously named "Flowers' Kiss")
Other random loose things: SoftStar shoes; Camper shoes; a belt; a blue pillbox with lots of drugs; bottles of painkillers; three travel packs of Kleenex; sunglasses; regular glasses; full-size deodorant (it's almost empty so I was like why the hell not); water bottle; box of stationery and a bookmark for my mom; Burnt Orange Daylight Backpack.

To be continued...

Badger
01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
...Continued

Over the weekend, I ordered some beverages.

And then I consumed some beverages.

I also stumbled upon an Icebreaker Outlet store. They were having a 40-70% off sale. I didn't buy much, but I'm so glad I did, because they put the stuff in this insanely disturbing bag (which may very well deserve its own thread):

I will reveal more things as the things occur....

Rocks
01-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Hobonichi Techo! I have an English version and I'm in love with it. I just drew today how much I love it. I'm in a Facebook group with 1,300 users about how much we all love it.
I also have that same Aeronaut> Mine is steel on the inside.
Also, beer. I love beer. Was one of those Deschutes Freshly Squeezed? That's my favorite.

jcinverso
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Tom Bihn, please tell me you're going to make that design an option for your bags!

Ilkyway
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Now you made me thirsty!

Pokilani
01-12-2015, 03:30 PM
That bag is seriously scary. I can see why you needed all that beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haraya
01-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Haha, that is indeed a daunting bag! But wait... there's an Icebreaker outlet?? *gasps*

ncb4
01-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Someday I have got to go drinking with you; though on second thought, there is no way I could keep up. [I'm a wimp.] But as @pokilani said, I do see why you needed all these beverages to help you cope with that truly bizarre Icebreaker bag. We definitely need to discuss that in a separate thread; what the !@#$ ?

There are so many little goodies buried in your anal retentive list as well: Flower Kisses, two mentions of "lots of drugs" AND a third mention of painkillers. I hope you're not ill! But then, when I look at the list of toiletries, cosmetics, and first aid items with which I travel, it does tend to include lots of "antis," such as antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, anti-fungals, anti-itch, etc.

I agree about the utter fabulosity of the Aeronaut 45: I love my Aubergine/Wasabi version. I swear you could carry enough for an Antarctic expedition, and not be bent over to the ground when carrying it.

Hope you had a wonderful visit with your mother! What bookmark did you give her?

~Nancy

casun
01-12-2015, 04:59 PM
i don't understand why everyone is so surprised by gisele bündchen riding a ram-like minotaur. seems perfectly normal.

backpack
01-12-2015, 09:04 PM
Badger, what is the model name of your Camper Shoes?

Impressive packing!

Pokilani
01-13-2015, 04:38 AM

Impressive packing!

Those look to be in the Peu line. Campers are fantastically comfortable! I've walked 5-14 miles through NYC and London in a their ballet flats.

Badger
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
Hobonichi Techo! I have an English version and I'm in love with it. I just drew today how much I love it. I'm in a Facebook group with 1,300 users about how much we all love it.
I also have that same Aeronaut> Mine is steel on the inside.
Also, beer. I love beer. Was one of those Deschutes Freshly Squeezed? That's my favorite.

I'm still mentally working out the best practices for using the Techo—I do so much "work" writing but I'd like to at least attempt to write some "not-work" stuff daily. The thing that I like best about the Techo is that it looks like a missal.

I had so many beers!:
1) Birdshot
2) Fruit Stripe NW Pale Ale
3) Zarabanda (the collab beer with José Andres)
4) Fresh Squeezed (love this beer—all my attempts to get it in Wisconsin were thwarted so it was sweet victory)
5) Roth IRA
6) Hophenge
7) The Dissident (which is a sour Brett wild-fermented beer, super skunky and tear-inducing)

Badger
01-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Tom Bihn, please tell me you're going to make that design an option for your bags!

I would kill for a Flocculent Man Sheep bag.

Badger
01-13-2015, 12:33 PM
That bag is seriously scary. I can see why you needed all that beer.

It's super charitable of you to think that I drank the beer after acquiring the bag, but I cannot lie: I had all of that the day before . . .

Badger
01-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Someday I have got to go drinking with you; though on second thought, there is no way I could keep up. [I'm a wimp.] But as @pokilani said, I do see why you needed all these beverages to help you cope with that truly bizarre Icebreaker bag. We definitely need to discuss that in a separate thread; what the !@#$ ?

There are so many little goodies buried in your anal retentive list as well: Flower Kisses, two mentions of "lots of drugs" AND a third mention of painkillers. I hope you're not ill! But then, when I look at the list of toiletries, cosmetics, and first aid items with which I travel, it does tend to include lots of "antis," such as antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, anti-fungals, anti-itch, etc.

I agree about the utter fabulosity of the Aeronaut 45: I love my Aubergine/Wasabi version. I swear you could carry enough for an Antarctic expedition, and not be bent over to the ground when carrying it.

Hope you had a wonderful visit with your mother! What bookmark did you give her?

~Nancy

Most of my drugs are the same as yours, designed to help me cope with the various environments that want to kill me—no anti-itch, thankfully. The bookmark I got my mom was the free one at Kinokuniya (#filialpiety).

Badger
01-13-2015, 12:40 PM

Impressive packing!

They're Camper Pelotas, but they're from like 7 years ago so I doubt the exact colorway is still available.

Also: Camper now makes an ultra lightweight line that is totally worth looking at. I tried on the "Beetle" mid-height boot and it was like wearing nothing at all—the only thing that kept me from buying was it was slightly too large. Apparently there's an online sale right now so it might be worth checking out if you're in the market for new shoes.

Ilkyway
01-13-2015, 01:11 PM
As we are talking shoes here (amongst other important topics: my favorite beer is Jever): I'd like to know about thous keep-the-feet-warm thingis in sude (?). Mine are trying to desert me via evolving more holes than necessary to put my foot in. I need comfortable shoes around the house to keep my feet warm otherwise I tend to become grumpy-bear-mom and my children do not like grumpy-bear-mom. I understand that, because she is no fun to be around.

Ilkyway

Badger
01-13-2015, 01:39 PM
As we are talking shoes here (amongst other important topics: my favorite beer is Jever): I'd like to know about thous keep-the-feet-warm thingis in sude (?). Mine are trying to desert me via evolving more holes than necessary to put my foot in. I need comfortable shoes around the house to keep my feet warm otherwise I tend to become grumpy-bear-mom and my children do not like grumpy-bear-mom. I understand that, because she is no fun to be around.

Ilkyway

They are SoftStar Shoes Roos (http://www.softstarshoes.com/adult-shoes/moccasins.html) in suede. I have ones with a grippy sole and technically they can be worn outside as regular shoes, but I don't do that. I like them because they're as flexible as socks (so you can tuck your foot under your leg while sitting down or whatever and it won't poke you in the butt), but they're much more slip-resistant and don't conduct static. They are made in my home town so that was an added bonus for me; in fact, I may go down to their shop to take a look if I have time.

Ilkyway
01-13-2015, 02:08 PM
Thanks Badger, I had seen that side mentioned in an other discussion and had them figured out for outdoor. I think dorayme has recommended them too?
I'll give them a try as my next in-house-shoes.

Ilkyway

Badger
01-15-2015, 08:15 AM
Just a few shots from the Oregon Coast.

Yaquina Bay bridge

Corgis of the deep!

Daylight Backpack at the beach

Tiviander
01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
Hobonichi Techo!

I just got mine yesterday and am curious how others use theirs. I also ordered the weekly notebook accessory but don't know how I feel about the vertical layout.

Did the Kinokuniya store have any Hobonichi products?

kkintea
01-15-2015, 07:29 PM
Thanks Badger, I had seen that side mentioned in an other discussion and had them figured out for outdoor. I think dorayme has recommended them too?
I'll give them a try as my next in-house-shoes.

Ilkyway

I'd contact them for sizing help, being a fellow tall person. I can't speak for your feet, but mine run on the large end for women's sizing, and it varies a bit depending on the shoe type. My first order had to be exchanged. Luckily it was not one of their custom pairs.

Badger
01-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Did the Kinokuniya store have any Hobonichi products?

I believe the Kinokuniya in San Francisco has them, but I don't think the others do.