PDA

View Full Version : New Medical Bag & Suggestions for organization

Kstrooz
04-19-2015, 07:20 PM
Hey All,

Looking to purchase a new medical bag - I'm actually leaning towards either the Co-Pilot or the Pilot.

Undecided on the Co-Pilot only because I wonder if I'll regret not having the option to place a 13" laptop in the bag should I fall in love with the bag layout.

Currently I have these items that are frequently used and carried over seas etc.

I have tentatively assigned them a Tom Bihn organizational item but I need wisdom and suggestions on a few.

Currently this is what I was going to buy for each:

Blood Pressure Cuffs - Medium (Dyneema?)Clear organizer pouch

Blood Pressure Device - TSS size 1 Small - Any better suggestions?

Ipad Mini - Padded Organizer (What size do you recommend since my keyboard makes it 2x as thick?)

Snake Charmer - Various cables for iPad as well as carrying my Stethoscope.

Flashlight - Utlilty Strap

Washington Manual - Should I just have this free in my bag in a pocket? Suggestions welcome!

Reflex Hammer & Tuning Fork - Perhaps an organizer pouch?

Various Papers/Charts - Large Parapack Organizer (Previous posts prefer Parapack as Dyneema/Codura were textured and caught paper corners)

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Feel free to copy the last and re-assign as you see best, I'd really appreciate it!

Lastly, your wisdom on the Co-Pilot/Pilot dilemma would help. Leaning towards to co-pilot simply so I have a designated bag for medical equipment.

Thanks!

marytattoo
04-19-2015, 07:38 PM
You might want to consider some 3D COPs. They are cool, you can see what's inside, and come in various colors. Or, get some of the YSSs since they have clear bottoms. I'd also suggest if possible buying both a Pilot and a CP, sending back the one you don't want. The return would just deduct $10 (for return shipping) from your refund (if you live in the states).

marytattoo
04-19-2015, 07:40 PM
I don't know your gender but remember personal items - wallet, phone, etc will possibly need to be worked into your bag.

phayes47
04-19-2015, 08:01 PM
I purchased an aubergine/wasabi Pilot along with the cache, because it could carry my 13" Macbook. The Pilot is a great size; and whether using it with or without a computer, you will have room for your other items. Since I have a cover on my 13" Macbook Pro Retina, I ordered the MacBook Air Cache, which is a little bigger. This made it easier to move my laptop in and out.

My vote is for the Pilot.

Kstrooz
04-19-2015, 08:45 PM
Hey!
Marytattoo - 25 yr old Male here, I don't really know if they 3D cubes would have a use here though. Planning on purchasing one for a 3-1-1 kit though so I can always try.

Phayes47- I don't have the 13" laptop yet, currently with the 15". I believe I can cram the 15 into the Pilot now, but that won't be an issue in a few months.

Updated though: The Welch Allyn kit is ~8in by 5in so I think it will fit in the other end of the Snake Charmer.

Kstrooz
04-19-2015, 08:52 PM
So If I update this:

Various Papers/Charts - Large Parapack Organizer (Previous posts prefer Parapack as Dyneema/Codura were textured and caught paper corners)

Blood Pressure Device - TSS size 1 Small

Snake Charmer - Stethoscope w/ Tuning Fork & Reflex Hammer on one side | Welch Allyn kit on the other.

This leaves the following questions:

The snake charmer doesn't fir in the Pilot's side pockets, so I would stand it up in the main chamber next to the W. Manual. Thoughts?

Ipad Mini - Padded Organizer (What size do you recommend since my keyboard makes it 2x as thick?)

Washington Manual - Is it best "free" in the main chamber next to a vertical snake charmer?

backpack
04-19-2015, 10:04 PM

The iPad Mini might fit in its Cache depending of the thickness of your keyboard.

You might need to upgrade to the Cache next larger size. An email to customer service will help you find out what size to choose.

Kstrooz
04-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks backpack, have you had any success with the medium padded pouch? seems to have a variety of uses beyond the cache.

binje
04-20-2015, 08:36 AM
No suggestions on where to put the Snake Charmer in a Pilot, but your needs made me think of this post: http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7649-snake-charmer-perfect-bag-nurse.html.

People have also attached a shoulder strap to the Snake Charmer to add to its versatility.

I have a different feeling about electronics than some, but I would be inclined to leave the Mini unpadded. That's only because I'm guessing that you'll be using it for patient data and would need to access it frequently. I don't like to put more than one level of barriers between me and my frequently used items. Obviously, that's a personal decision, but going Cache-less will also free up some space. Your cover and keyboard already offer a degree of protection, plus the bag material is pretty stout (especially the ballistic). There's always a trade-off, though, and being out in the field does make it harder to replace things.

Kstrooz
04-20-2015, 09:44 AM
Binje, I definitely agree. I only fear because I believe this bag clam-shells, and I'd hate for it to fall out and slam to the floor.

moriond
04-20-2015, 01:57 PM
So If I update this:

Blood Pressure Device - TSS size 1 Small

Snake Charmer - Stethoscope w/ Tuning Fork & Reflex Hammer on one side | Welch Allyn kit on the other.

This leaves the following questions:

The snake charmer doesn't fir in the Pilot's side pockets, so I would stand it up in the main chamber next to the W. Manual. Thoughts?

Washington Manual - Is it best "free" in the main chamber next to a vertical snake charmer?

@Kstrooz, The Snake Charmer does fit vertically into one front side pocket of the Pilot you just need to make sure you don't stuff it so that its thickness doesn't much exceed the 2.3"/58 mm width of that pocket, although there's some give in the wall and front, especially with the 400d Dyneema version. Each side of the Snake Charmer can expand to 1.75"/34 mm, so the stethoscope should be fine in one side. The main Pilot compartment is of similar width a little wider at 2.7"/69mm, so you could put the SC there upright, as well, with the disadvantage that there is no supporting side wall to hold the Snake Charmer in place, and also the fact that if you did want to carry a laptop or files, it would interfere with the use of that space. Stashed horizontally, it makes using the full space of the compartment difficult.

Here are the dimensions:
Pilot Dimensions: 15.4" x 11.4" x 5.1" / 390 x 290 x 130 mm (so no problems fitting the 10.5" length of the SC in its height). The front compartment as a rigid box would be 5.9" wide at the back wall and 5.1" at the front wall of the pocket, but the mesh barrier with the central water bottle is stretchy, so the SC at 5.5", not packed full, is fine

Snake Charmer Dimensions: 10.5" x 5.5" x 3.5" / 270 x 140 x 90 mm (2 sides, up to 1.75" each for the 2.3" of the Pilot front pocket)

You might do better with the Parapack in the SC (think there is still one in Olive), for flexibility and easier to clean. My SCs are the lighter weight 500d Cordura.

For the Blood Pressure cuffs I think you'd do better with the form factor of the Clear Quarter Packing Cube (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/TB0915.html) even if you don't fully pack both sides to maximum thickness. The cuffs do better in a squarer accessory pouch, and the Dyneema sides make this easy to compress. Use the other side for flat items like adhesive, gauze dressings, etc. Put it in the main Pilot compartment on its side (7.8" dimension up, grab loop to the side). The rectangular shape is stable, and fits pretty well in there.

CQPC Dimensions: 7.8" x 6.7" x 3" / 200 x 170 x 80 mm

If you carry an iPad Mini, and you have a hard case for it, it could go in the front left pocket ( as you face the front of the Pilot), which has an Ultrasuede pocket.

For the Tuning Fork and Reflex Hammer, if you want a separate organizer pouch, you might consider the Size #3 Knitting Tool Pouch (http://www.tombihn.com/accessories/knittingpouches.html). I use the size #2 for most of my laptop connectors. The advantage of the Ballistic Nylon end guards is they can hold your contents in place with the ends protected. Check the sizing, because you probably need size #3.

Size 3
Designed for tools 7.25-8.25" (18.5-21cm) long.
Note: tools less than the minimum length listed above will still fit in these pouches, though those tools have the potential to slip past the the ballistic ends that provide poke-through protection to the clear urethane fronts.

Size 3: External Dimensions - 9.5" x 3.5" / 240 x 90 mm

@binje has already given you the link to the Snake Charmer: the perfect bag for this nurse! (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7649-snake-charmer-perfect-bag-nurse.html) thread.

Good luck and HTH. I'm using TapaTalk on my iPhone, so it's hard to give more references. I did check the SC and blood pressure armband fits in the CQPC last night.

moriond

ETA: I use folders for papers in the Pilot. The Large Organizer Pouch will fit, but it's actually slightly tall for being an optimal fit for the Pilot, unless your stack of papers is large enough to decrease the height because you've made it expand in width. My favorite ones are the old Levenger Briefcase folders that they no longer sell -- most of mine are at least 7 or 8 years old. But you can find similar folders at Staples or other stationary stores.