PDA

View Full Version : Snake Charmer in DLBC

Frank II
04-20-2015, 06:54 PM
In my never ending quest to organize and consolidate, I'm wondering if anyone was able to put their Snake Charmer in their DLBC vertically. I know, technically, it shouldn't fit.....but.....these are soft sided bags and if I didn't pack the Snake Charmer to the gills......??????

Before I spend my hard earned money on a Snake Charmer, I thought I'd ask.

(If you have photos of the above, you get extra credit.)

moriond
04-20-2015, 09:22 PM
In my never ending quest to organize and consolidate, I'm wondering if anyone was able to put their Snake Charmer in their DLBC vertically. I know, technically, it shouldn't fit.....but.....these are soft sided bags and if I didn't pack the Snake Charmer to the gills......??????

Before I spend my hard earned money on a Snake Charmer, I thought I'd ask.

(If you have photos of the above, you get extra credit.)

@Frank II I would not use a Snake Charmer in the Daylight Briefcase (and I own both)I assume you're trying to use the main compartment efficiently by trying to stow the SC on its end. The killer is having to smush down a rectangular bag that is too tall as well as wider than the compartment. (DLBC Dimensions: 13.4 x 9.8 x 6.5 / 340 x 250 x 165 mm) Your 9.8"(external dimension) is just not tall enough for the 10.5" length of the Snake Charmer unless you plan on trying to do something ugly like putting a big clip on one end and rolling it down like some of those cookie packages so that everything near the top end gets pinched.

The longest accessory I'd be willing to stow vertically inside the main DLBC compartment is the Standard Spiff Kit (External Dimensions - 9.5 x 5.7 x 2.6 / 240 x 145 x 65 mm)-- a full inch shorter than the Snake Charmer. I'll let somebody else try to take pictures, since I'm still at work. Of course, you can be inefficient about using the space, and stow a Snake Charmer horizontally. The SC just cleared the taller Pilot compartment, and I would not have taken that on faith without checking.

HTH

moriond, whose reaction to this idea is "Just say 'No'"

Frank II
04-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks, I've been using an Eagle Creek 1/2 tube cube and EC 1/4 cube for my electronic stuff and I'm trying to consolidate the two into one.

I had tried a TB 1/4 packing cube but that didn't work.

adalangdon
04-21-2015, 12:20 AM
It fits with no strain in the dyneema version, though I have no idea about the cordura one. I think it's fine if your DLBC and/or SC aren't packed really full. The other contents of my DLBC are: planner, organizer wallets, pen pouch, sunglasses, phone.

Loaded with stationery. (I use the SC as an art supplies kit)

Completely vertical.

Frank II
04-21-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks for the photos. They actually showed me that my idea may not work. I was hoping to get not only the snake charmer in the DLBC but an Ipad Mini with keyboard cover, e-reader and noise cancelling headphones. It may be too hopeful.

moriond
04-21-2015, 03:16 AM
It fits with no strain in the dyneema version, though I have no idea about the cordura one. I think it's fine if your DLBC and/or SC aren't packed really full. The other contents of my DLBC are: planner, organizer wallets, pen pouch, sunglasses, phone.

Loaded with stationery. (I use the SC as an art supplies kit)

Completely vertical.

I should never try to answer these kinds of questions without the items in hand to try. Long day at work. The last full pack up I used for my Snake Charmer had a full set of clothing (yoga pants, tee shirts, etc.) stuffing one side, for a filled load. I usually carry flatter items in my DLBC. Have at it, Frank, with the Snake Charmer.

moriond

moriond
04-21-2015, 03:35 AM
Thanks for the photos. They actually showed me that my idea may not work. I was hoping to get not only the snake charmer in the DLBC but an Ipad Mini with keyboard cover, e-reader and noise cancelling headphones. It may be too hopeful.

I could fit all this onto the DLBC. Of course, I can put the Kindle in one split pocket of the horizontal zippered pocket and the iPad Mini in a SwitchEasy Canvas Case with Smart Cover in the other, but even moving the iPad Mini inside, adding a folding keyboard that opens to near full size, and tossing in a Bose QC 3 case with headphones (not mine, and not as small as current generation headphones), I can get this all into the DLBC along with a Snake Charmer.

BTW, I had a chance to try the Bose QC20i on a plane, and found them to have surprisingly good noise cancellation, and even more astonishing it was more comfortable for me than the over ear/on ear headsets. (This is almost never true for me when the earbuds have to be inserted.)

moriond

Frank II
04-21-2015, 08:53 AM
I'm tossed between the Bose 20 and the Bose 25. I'm normally not a big fan of in-ear headphones but I've heard from lots of people saying the 20 are very comfortable. There's a Bose store about 25 miles from me....I'll have to go check them out. They really would take up less space.

I might as well get a Snake Charmer and give it a try. Worst that can happen is I find a different use for it.

ceepee
04-21-2015, 08:57 AM
Two words ..... No! Not Toaster Cosy!! .... Snack. Chamber ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marytattoo
04-21-2015, 09:24 AM
I LOVE these. And the ear buds retract.

LG Tone Infinim Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Red - Verizon Wireless (http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/lg-tone-infinim-bluetooth-stereo-headset-red/)

TavaPeak
04-21-2015, 09:48 AM
FrankII, I can't say enough about my Bose 20i. I couldn't stand in-ear headphones until I tried these. They are so much less to carry than big over-ear cans and save critical carryon space. They are one thing that revolutionized my carryon travel, besides perhaps a tablet and yes, the Side Effect. The smaller Bose might make your DLBC sing.

biscuit
04-22-2015, 04:24 PM
My Bose Q20i are the first in-ear headphones that I've been able to tolerate, too. I find the noise cancellation to be quite good, and the Q20i headphones are much easier to carry while being more comfortable for me than my old Q15s.