PDA

View Full Version : DLBP question

ladyinblack1964
05-28-2015, 09:07 AM
Are there any photos of the front pocket of the DLBP floating around on the forum? If so, could someone please point me to them?

Trying to get a complete picture of this backpack. Thank you!

adalangdon
05-28-2015, 09:17 AM
Are there any photos of the front pocket of the DLBP floating around on the forum? If so, could someone please point me to them?

Trying to get a complete picture of this backpack. Thank you!

Uh, what do you mean by the 'front pocket'? As in, there are many photos of the front of the DLBP, which will all feature the front pocket. Are you looking for a photo of the interior of the front pocket (to, e.g., get an idea of O ring placement) or something?

ladyinblack1964
05-28-2015, 09:21 AM
@adalangdon, oops--sorry! I did mean the interior of the front pocket!

I think I need more sleep...

moriond
05-28-2015, 10:41 AM
@adalangdon, oops--sorry! I did mean the interior of the front pocket!

I think I need more sleep...

I don't recall any pictures of the interior front pocket of the Daylight Backpack, since apart from the two O-rings sewn in on the seam at each side, the inside lining is either Steel Parapack (for the Cordura DLBP) or 200d Steel Dyneema (for the 400d Dyneema) the insides are featureless, and extend the full dimension of the BackPack shape. The O-rings are placed just about where the side zippers end -- each seam tape for the O-ring starts at about where the side limits of the zippers begin. That means that the center of the O-ring is about 1.75 inches/44.5 mm above the lowest position of the diagonal zipper at the fron left side of the bag. In the Packing cube BackPack for TriStar/Western Flyer, there is only one O-ring in the diagonal front pocket, and it is on the right side seam, about 1.75"/44.5 mm below the too of the diagonal front zipper at the right end of the bag. I know @Lani prefers the packing cube backpack for TriStar/WF (over the DLBP) because the side zippers of the PCBP go all the way down for easier access to the compartment, and its rectangular shape allows maximally efficient packing, but if you're carrying a laptop, or camera, or other bulky item that doesn't extend throughout the BackPack, unzipping the backpack sides all the way can easily lead to having that item fall out and hit the ground! especially since there are no tiered pockets inside. So it really depends on what you mean to carry inside, and whether you need the weight distributed as to which is the better extra backpack for your use.

Fir pictures of the interior of the DLBP, @eWalker has some pictures of the bag turned inside out and also folded in his posts #185-192 in the Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos thread (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos.html). Here's his post #192 (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos-post74356.html#post74356) showing the interior.

HTH

moriond

ladyinblack1964
05-28-2015, 10:54 AM
@moriond, thank you very much. I sometimes do carry my camera. I keep it in a padded OP attached to a keystrap in my Swift and would probably do the same in the DLBP.

moriond
05-28-2015, 11:11 AM
@moriond, thank you very much. I sometimes do carry my camera. I keep it in a padded OP attached to a keystrap in my Swift and would probably do the same in the DLBP.

The Daylight BackPack should work fine for you. I edited my post to make it slightly clearer that I was giving distinctions between the DLBP and the PCBP (that @Lani likes to use more than the DLBP). With the DLBP you can not only put your camera into a pouch that you tether, but you can also put it into one if the tiered pockets inside, and since the sides zippers only go down half way, any heavy items that sit in the bottom of that backpack won't inadvertently fall out if you unzip the sides too far -- unlike the case for the Packing Cube Backpack.

The DLBP really is more of a backpack like hybrid in these respects, if you want to use it like a backpack, as compared to the Packing Cube BackPakc (which works better as a packing cube)

HTH

moriond

Lani
05-28-2015, 02:20 PM
The Daylight BackPack should work fine for you. I edited my post to make it slightly clearer that I was giving distinctions between the DLBP and the PCBP (that @Lani likes to use more than the DLBP).

Yeah... I've thought about this long and hard. The DLBP is adorable, don't get me wrong. I just think, for its purposes, that the PCBP is more versatile. It also holds more. And if I need a day-use bag, I can use the PCSB, which then neatly slips into the PCBP.

That said, if I want to go hands-free (walking around all day at Disneyland), want to carry some heft (hiking, with a lot of water bottles), want something big enough to carry a fleece sweater, etc., I would choose the DLBP over the PCSB (shoulder bag; not the backpack).

Actually, I would LOVE to see the DLBP in the thinner 200d Dyneema fabric. That would make them extra adorable.

moriond
05-30-2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah... I've thought about this long and hard. The DLBP is adorable, don't get me wrong. I just think, for its purposes, that the PCBP is more versatile. It also holds more. And if I need a day-use bag, I can use the PCSB, which then neatly slips into the PCBP.

That said, if I want to go hands-free (walking around all day at Disneyland), want to carry some heft (hiking, with a lot of water bottles), want something big enough to carry a fleece sweater, etc., I would choose the DLBP over the PCSB (shoulder bag; not the backpack).

Actually, I would LOVE to see the DLBP in the thinner 200d Dyneema fabric. That would make them extra adorable.

@Lani, No problems with these distinctions in optimal use of each option (Daylight BackPack or Packing Cube BackPack). Since I was answering the question about O-ring placement in the front pocket Daylight Backpack, I thought that for completeness I should add the corresponding information for the Packing Cube BackPack for TriStar/Western Flyer. And since I was mentioning both of these options, I thought it would be good to go over some of the distinctions between these choices and the reasons some people will prefer one or the other.

I can imagine other scenarios in which someone might prefer to use the PCBP for TriStar/WF over the DLBP. For example, if wanted to shift a Pilot including its contents to backpack carry, the PCSB would work better than a DLBP, given the Pilot depth and square profile. Also, for people who use the original vertical Freudian Slip as an organizer for papers and work, and transfer between a Smart Alec or Brain Bag to just have this available in an ultralight weight BackPack, the PCBP for TriStar/WF will take this, and the pockets of the original Freudian Slip can easily hold a thin laptop (e.g. 11" MacBook Air sized) or tablet. For some purposes having the straight up rectangular sides of the original Freudian Slip can be more flexible for organization than the curved, tapering towards the top design of the newer FS for S25 or S19.

moriond

ladyinblack1964
06-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Will the Side Effect fit in the front pocket of the DLBP?

Ilkyway
06-01-2015, 09:01 AM
That front pocket has not much depth to it. So a Side Effect will fit in there footprint wise easily but the fuller the SE is and the fuller the DLBP is this wount be a good solution.

HTH
Ilkyway

ladyinblack1964
06-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Thanks, @ilkyway.

I am trying to decide if I should get both the vertical Freudian Slip and an SE to put in the DLBP. The SE will be handy for other things, too. I can even keep it in my Swift the rest of the time when it is not in the DLBP.

marytattoo
06-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Thanks, @ilkyway.

I am trying to decide if I should get both the vertical Freudian Slip and an SE to put in the DLBP. The SE will be handy for other things, too. I can even keep it in my Swift the rest of the time when it is not in the DLBP.
Consider the shorter FS; it fits in the outside pocket of the DLBP, altho a bit loosely. That will provide some organization. Then your SE will fit nicely inside the DLBP, in one of the "shelf" pockets if you like.

FWIW!

Ilkyway
06-01-2015, 12:45 PM
The SE is so very versitail and usefull, I would recoment it highly. It goes from a purse you can carry many places to a hipbag for easy access whilst your main load is in a backpack on you back to a great internal organisation in any bigger bag.

Ilkyway

ladyinblack1964
06-01-2015, 02:02 PM
@marytattoo, by "shorter FS" do you mean the horizontal one?

Also, I am not clear on the Freudian Slips. Does each of them have a zippered compartment, or is that just the horizontal?

Ilkyway
06-01-2015, 02:18 PM
in the DLBP the FS for the Synapse 25 or the Synapse 19 would work. Marytattoo refears to the shorter S19 one. Only the S25 one has zippers. Not sure if the vertical has zippers though as I do not own that one.

HTH
Ilkyway

ETA in total there are four Freudian Slips for sale.

ladyinblack1964
06-01-2015, 02:39 PM
That's very helpful--thank you!!