PDA

View Full Version : OP for checkbook?

bermudajes
05-30-2015, 11:35 AM
If it were up to me, I would never write another check. For now, however, I have 2-3 bills every month (plus other occasional payments) that must be paid by check. The real problem is that i never seem to have my checkbook, envelopes, and stamps in the same place. It'd be great if I had a pouch to house all of these things (and maybe a pen). After measuring the envelope and checkbook (about 6.5" x 3.5") I was hopeful the small OP would fit the bill. But because of the zipper, I can't really get either inside.

All that to say - any ideas for a pouch to help me corral these items? Would a pen OP work or would I not be able to zip in the contents? The medium OP seems like overkill (though I don't own one).

(I wish TB had top-zip pouches available!)

Auntie Em
05-30-2015, 11:59 AM
If it were up to me, I would never write another check. For now, however, I have 2-3 bills every month (plus other occasional payments) that must be paid by check. The real problem is that i never seem to have my checkbook, envelopes, and stamps in the same place. It'd be great if I had a pouch to house all of these things (and maybe a pen). After measuring the envelope and checkbook (about 6.5" x 3.5") I was hopeful the small OP would fit the bill. But because of the zipper, I can't really get either inside.

All that to say - any ideas for a pouch to help me corral these items? Would a pen OP work or would I not be able to zip in the contents? The medium OP seems like overkill (though I don't own one).

(I wish TB had top-zip pouches available!)

I agree on the top-zip option!

I can get my checkbook (3 3/8" x 6 1/4") and a pen in the pen/pencil OP. You could throw in some stamps, but not an envelope.

I can't figure out how to upload a picture (in a browser on my iPad). Basically, it's a tight fit on the checkbook, but works.

Auntie Em
05-30-2015, 12:01 PM

There, I tried an upload.

adalangdon
05-30-2015, 12:02 PM
I suspect a pen pouch may not work, because although the dimensions are bigger than your cheque book and envelope, the space available for the width is less than 3.5". Here's a pic with my ballistic pen pouch and a paper folded to *exactly* 3.5 by 6.75. The usable space of the OP ends where the stitching on the binding is. The paper's width exceeds that length by a hair. After seeing Auntie Em's photo, I guess that 0.125" makes all the diff.

The best fit pouch that was sold in recent memory, I guess, is the Nook pouch. It's top-loading too. I got one even though I don't have a Nook because I'm a sucker for Ultrasuede (I use it for my portable HD and cables now). Here's a pic.

Maybe your best bet is a medium DOP after all. It has 2 pockets, so perhaps you could put other small documents like brochures and receipts in the unused compartment and e.g. put "for immediate action" stuff plus a pen in the front pocket. Just thinking aloud...

Auntie Em
05-30-2015, 12:08 PM
I agree that a medium DOP or OP would be better, if a little large. Although the checkbook fit in the pen/pencil OP, it wasn't an easy in and out, as I had to fold the zipper back and over the top. So it depends on whether you want minimum size or ease of use.

marytattoo
05-30-2015, 01:08 PM
I use a medium COP. I put envelopes, stamps, and pen in the front, and checkbooks (I deal with mom's, too) in the back. There are times I just go to the library cos I can spread out on a table (no good space at home). Then I stick the DOP into a LOP with the bills. My "traveling desk").

bermudajes
05-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Thanks, everyone :) The pictures were especially helpful!

While I'd prefer something in a smaller size, I think practicality and ease of use will win out. I like the idea of the medium DOP and using the back for receipts and other loose papers, as those tend to clutter up my bags.

marytattoo
05-30-2015, 02:56 PM
It is very easy to zip and stick into a bag if you need to go out with it - secure to keep things together.