PDA

View Full Version : About to take the plunge...just one step left...(Brain Bag related)

aman1420
06-12-2015, 02:58 AM
(Before I begin, I suppose I should say hi. Just made my account after spending almost four months going back and forth on various backpacks before settling on something from TB. So yeah, hi! Name's Aman, college student, glad to pseudo-meet you all.)

So I've finally settled on a Brain Bag to be my "main" bag for (hopefully) the next 6-7-8-9-21398732 years (depending on whether or not I can reign in my bag lust); however, I've got one thing holding me back...the color. Hear me out, okay??

I've poked around and have seen the BB offered in various colorways...plum, french blue, and so on...however, once I saw the steel version, I was sold. It's understated, not too bright - a dark steel that retains its color while still looking professional/subtle that isn't a full-on black (my second choice, but only because I'm not a fan of bright colors...or coloration in general?).

Problem is, it isn't offered anymore! Total bummer after spending so much time searching for a bag. However, I did see that grey is another option - thing is, I haven't seen a single picture of it out in the wild, just the stock picture that's on the site. Does anyone have any pictures they can throw my way??? I would just order it and see for myself, but I've ordered and sent back several different bags at this point and don't really want to keep dropping $$ on shipping if I'm not absolutely sure of what I want.

I know, I know. Steel, grey - what's the difference? But hey, I'm buying a bag that I'll have to stare at every day for at least a good few years, and I'm picky! So there. :cool: if I could just compare stock photos I'd have a good idea of the shade difference and so on, but I can't. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks for reading :)

adalangdon
06-12-2015, 03:31 AM
I know, I know. Steel, grey - what's the difference? But hey, I'm buying a bag that I'll have to stare at every day for at least a good few years, and I'm picky! So there. :cool: if I could just compare stock photos I'd have a good idea of the shade difference and so on, but I can't. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks for reading :)

No, there actually is a big difference between Steel and Grey, Grey being considerably lighter, but not as pale as the stock photos suggest. Steel is accurately represented in this (http://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/general-bag-discussion/5943d1397164256-new-colors-kelly-french-blue-steel-cafe-bag-newcafebagcolors-jpg) pic. And I think @kkintea's pic of Grey here (http://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/photos-videos-and-reviews/10186d1422731518-synapse-25-small-cafe-bag-glorios-gray-imageuploadedbytapatalk1422731514-357466-jpg) is very accurate. Sadly, to the best of my limited knowledge, there are no pics on the forum of a Grey BB.

Anyway, you can take comfort in the fact that you'll be getting the latest version of the BB with more O-rings, a nice, smooth parapack lining, etc. if/when you get the Grey BB.

Edited: I think there was a run of Steel BBs before the latest round of updates. Sorry, I had thought the last batch of Steel BBs was more than a couple of years ago.

Ilkyway
06-12-2015, 04:42 AM
aman1420 welcome to the forum! Oh I think we all can relate to taking colors serios here. I have nothing to actually add to adalangonds post (nice new avatar by the way!).
I went throuigh the same struggle on ordering my gray Synapse 25. Should I? Should I not?? I am not that big a fan of steel parapack or balistic since both have a bit of a greenish hoe to them (subtel but it is there). Gray is truely neutral and as it is darker in real live than on the shop-pictures it should do exactly what you want: being not black but still classy and not in your face.
I am debating a BB myself for quite a while now. I am torrn between plum (which I have seen pcitures of) and gray. As you say: no pictures out there jet.
Do I have a point here? Not realy, othere than gray is great, feel your struggle and so hope for pictures too ;-)

Ilkyway

wolpertinger
06-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Okay, let me try.
Here is my grey cordura S25 and steel parapack 3DOC in broad daylight. Maybe this helps a little. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/5e03b2dd54b63da8bea4944e5e259028.jpg
I can't see if this is true to the colors.

marytattoo
06-12-2015, 07:48 AM
Okay, let me try.
Here is my grey cordura S25 and steel parapack 3DOC in broad daylight. Maybe this helps a little. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/5e03b2dd54b63da8bea4944e5e259028.jpg
I can't see if this is true to the colors.
Wow, they look the same to me!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

marytattoo
06-12-2015, 07:49 AM
(Before I begin, I suppose I should say hi. Just made my account after spending almost four months going back and forth on various backpacks before settling on something from TB. So yeah, hi! Name's Aman, college student, glad to pseudo-meet you all.)

So I've finally settled on a Brain Bag to be my "main" bag for (hopefully) the next 6-7-8-9-21398732 years (depending on whether or not I can reign in my bag lust); however, I've got one thing holding me back...the color. Hear me out, okay??

I've poked around and have seen the BB offered in various colorways...plum, french blue, and so on...however, once I saw the steel version, I was sold. It's understated, not too bright - a dark steel that retains its color while still looking professional/subtle that isn't a full-on black (my second choice, but only because I'm not a fan of bright colors...or coloration in general?).

Problem is, it isn't offered anymore! Total bummer after spending so much time searching for a bag. However, I did see that grey is another option - thing is, I haven't seen a single picture of it out in the wild, just the stock picture that's on the site. Does anyone have any pictures they can throw my way??? I would just order it and see for myself, but I've ordered and sent back several different bags at this point and don't really want to keep dropping $$ on shipping if I'm not absolutely sure of what I want.

Perhaps you can wait till the 16th - new colors/stuff being released. We don't know what they will be cos it's a (shhhhh) BIG secret with a few so-called hints thrown our way!

wolpertinger
06-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Wow, they look the same to me!

I'm sorry, I hoped the pic would get better, but it was just a quick shot.
Well, not as helpful as I thought it would be.

Pokilani
06-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Someone once described grey as the type of grey from an expensive men's suit. It is really classy, in my opinion. My steel parapack can definitely take on a green hue, but not so with Grey cordura. It's really gorgeous--go for it! Here it is in sunlight on my partner.

moriond
06-12-2015, 03:52 PM
@aman1420, We really need @kkintea to post some of her color accurate pictures of all the various shades of gray, including the newer "Grey" Cordura. I'll give it a try. Here's a picture of Steel Parapack (from my Side Effect), the older Steel Cordura (from a 3D organizer Cube), and the current Grey Cordura (from another 3DOC).
The colors are a bit light because of the lighting, so "Grey" is really closer to the color near the bottom edge of the strip, where it begins to shade. ""Steel" is darker. The Steel Parapack has a slightly greenish tone that doesn't show up well here. You can also look at my post (#238) in the middle of the Backorder Updates/Back in Stock thread for pictures of the Synapse in Steel and Grey, in answer to a similar question about these two colors for that bag.

HTH

moriond

adalangdon
06-13-2015, 12:16 AM

sorry to quote a photo. But this? Aubergine/Steel, PLEASE!!!

Pokilani
06-13-2015, 07:54 AM
sorry to quote a photo. But this? Aubergine/Steel, PLEASE!!!

I know, right? In a Swift, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aman1420
06-13-2015, 12:47 PM
Wow! I checked back on this once or twice yesterday at work but I never thought I'd get so much help! You guys are great! :)

@adalangdon thank you for those pictures! The grey really is quite neutral there. I was under the impression it was a sort of warm grey, but it's definitely more neutral than anything else. Does the company usually do multiple runs of prior colors, or do you think steel would be gone for good? I'm tempted to just wait and see...but I'm also itching to just pick a bag and get it in my hands at this point, haha. Parapack lining?? I thought the lining was cordura, but I'd definitely prefer parapack!!

@Ilkyway thank you! It's good to finally be an official member, no more lurking for me ;) I never noticed the greenish hue but looking back I can definitely see a slight coloration there. I'd have to get my hands on a bag to be sure, though. Ugh! So much conjecture! I'm tempted to drive over to Seattle and ask Tom himself to bring the color back! I doubt he'd listen though, but it'd be worth a shot :) the plum is gorgeous, for what it's worth! I'm just a neutral colors guy myself, but if I had to pick a color that'd probably be my first choice.

@wolpertinger thank you so much for the pictures!! I seriously appreciate it. I can see a bit of a difference there - the steel does look a little darker. Or perhaps it's the sunlight. Or maybe I'm crazy after looking after so many pictures the past few days. Either way, thanks :)

@marytattoo and here I was, ready to give grey a shot! I might just go ahead and order it anyway, then see if steel gets a re-run for the BB. Or maybe I'll wait. Or maybe not. As you can tell, I'm definitely not indecisive at all, haha.

@Pokilani thank you for the great shot!! The grey actually looks really great there, to be honest. Very classic! Definitely reminiscent of a men's suit. Rrrr, now I'm starting to lean towards grey. Who knew picking a color could be so difficult!?

@moriond wow! I can definitely see the differences between the two - the grey is definitely a bit lighter, and is very neutral, whereas the steel is fairly dark and does have a bit of a greenish hue (like you and @Ilkyway mentioned) - it's particularly apparent around the edges. Thank you so much for the pictures!! I'll have to check your prior post in a bit, it looks like my bag research and forum reading is starting to encroach on my work-prep time, hehe.

Thank you so much, all of you! Again, I never expected such a response. I've got a bit of time before work, and I told myself I'd finalize my decision today - I'll let you all know what I end up choosing! :)

Ilkyway
06-14-2015, 12:27 AM
aman1420 as you are a new member your posts have to be approved by a moderator to come live. we try to be as fast as possible in doing so.
I still hope someone with an actuall grey BB will post a picture. But maybe this is a task to be done by you? IF you get a grey BB I would be very thankfull if you'd share pictures and your thoughs.

Ilkyway

adalangdon
06-14-2015, 12:42 AM
I think Steel has come and gone over the years. I know it appeared for the cafe bags, albeit briefly in May last year. It's also appeared for short runs of the S25 and DLBP, both of which I regret missing out on. Not sure when the Steel BBs happened because I didn't track that product until quite a bit later. I think @moriond may be able to help you better with this.

imagineez
06-14-2015, 01:36 AM

I too have been a fan of the black/steel version of the Brain Bag. I had been waiting some time for the black/steel to come back. But I eventually settled on the all black version BB because I had thought the grey might be too light in contrast with the black cordura of the BB.

I did get a Synapse 25 in grey/iberian and initially liked the grey because it was not as light as the stock photos portray it. But when I compared the S25 grey to my steel DLBP, I realized I really liked the greenish hue present in the steel color, and the fact that this steel was a tad darker to my preference. Seeing the difference between the grey of my S25 (which I've already sold) and the steel of my DLBP, I knew that the steel color would blend in better (to my preference) with the black on the black/steel BB as opposed to the black/grey BB version.

So I think the grey would stand out just a tad more against the black on the BB (compared to the darker steel with its greenish tones). If you like the more neutral grey and its slightly lighter appearance, it might be worth it to try out and see. I've since changed my BB to the Black/Olive color, which I never thought I'd go for, but this is a color combination that IMO doesn't stand out too much and still makes the bag look interesting (I really love the black/olive combo).

kkintea
06-14-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm coming to this thread late, but I can agree and build on the prior comments.

1. Grey is darker than the stock photos in person (surprisingly even), BUT steel is darker yet.

2. I too have an olive BB (from a trade).

3. The nuances of the different shades have to be combined with the fabric type to be evaluated properly. My loyalties lie with steel ballistic (especially older runs which were either darker initially or have aged into more of a graphite color), steel parapack, and steel dyneema. My use of bags like small cafe and DLBC increased dramatically when I got dyneema versions (sorry cordura!)

Perhaps start another thread requesting a grey BB picture in natural light? Or sift through photos of the S25 in grey to see what a large bag in the color looks like.

aman1420
06-14-2015, 10:37 PM
aman1420 as you are a new member your posts have to be approved by a moderator to come live. we try to be as fast as possible in doing so.
I still hope someone with an actuall grey BB will post a picture. But maybe this is a task to be done by you? IF you get a grey BB I would be very thankfull if you'd share pictures and your thoughs.

Ilkyway

Ah, that makes sense. I was a bit confused for a moment there, haha. Nevertheless, it looks like I'm your guy; I ended up ordering one in grey, should be here before Friday! It's no biggie if the company ends up re-releasing steel for the BB - figured I could just set up an exchange and that'd be the end of it. Who knows though, maybe grey will grow on me ;) I'll make sure to take some pictures and write up a review for you, hopefully it'll help you with your decision as well!

aman1420
06-14-2015, 10:45 PM
I too have been a fan of the black/steel version of the Brain Bag. I had been waiting some time for the black/steel to come back. But I eventually settled on the all black version BB because I had thought the grey might be too light in contrast with the black cordura of the BB.

I did get a Synapse 25 in grey/iberian and initially liked the grey because it was not as light as the stock photos portray it. But when I compared the S25 grey to my steel DLBP, I realized I really liked the greenish hue present in the steel color, and the fact that this steel was a tad darker to my preference. Seeing the difference between the grey of my S25 (which I've already sold) and the steel of my DLBP, I knew that the steel color would blend in better (to my preference) with the black on the black/steel BB as opposed to the black/grey BB version.

So I think the grey would stand out just a tad more against the black on the BB (compared to the darker steel with its greenish tones). If you like the more neutral grey and its slightly lighter appearance, it might be worth it to try out and see. I've since changed my BB to the Black/Olive color, which I never thought I'd go for, but this is a color combination that IMO doesn't stand out too much and still makes the bag look interesting (I really love the black/olive combo).

AHHHHHHHHH you're KILLING me! - these are exactly the kinds of thoughts I'm trying to suppress!! Haha. I honestly had essentially the same sort of thinking going on: I like how the grey looks, but I'm afraid the contrast between the two colors will be too noticeable (which makes the steel perfect, since it blends it, like you said). The greenish hue just looks so good, too. Fiufehwifuwhelfinevhebavdaweoffhvb. This is killing me. Honestly, I might just end up switching mine for a black one as well (if a steel version doesn't come out on the 16th, that is). It'll blend better and I find myself really liking it for some reason (normally not a fan of all black bags, but black actually goes really well with all the various contours of the BB ------ this isn't helping my decision at all -_-) Hell, I might just get all three if they're available...

aman1420
06-14-2015, 10:48 PM
Perhaps start another thread requesting a grey BB picture in natural light? Or sift through photos of the S25 in grey to see what a large bag in the color looks like.

Looks like this'll be a good reference thread for it - I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures when my grey BB comes in. Hopefully it'll make deciding on a color a little easier for some other tormented soul :p

aman1420
06-19-2015, 10:49 AM
....it's here. Finally.
Sunday's the start of my weekend. Will hopefully put pictures and a review up by then.
:)

aman1420
06-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Sorry for the delay (for anyone who's still following this) - finally put the bag through its paces this past weekend, and am just about ready to put up my review. All that's left is the photoshoot :)

tpnl
06-22-2015, 02:40 PM
Looking forward to your thoughts!

Cheers!

imagineez
06-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Me too, looking forward!