PDA

View Full Version : Will the co-pilot fit a rMBA 13?

noneck
06-27-2015, 10:11 PM
I'm a huge fan of small laptop bags. For work reasons, I've had to migrated from a MacBook Air 11" (MBA11) to a MacBook Pro Retina 13' (rMBP 13). For the last few years, I've sported a Freestyle Plus Messenger Bag for Macbook Air 11" (http://www.timbuk2.com/freestyle-messenger-plus-macbook-air/402.html) and need to find something similar for the rMBP 13.

I would love to know if the co-pilot can fit a 'naked' or cased rMBP 13. I know the native TB laptop cases won't fit into a co-pilot, but I'm cool with that.

Aspiring TB co-pilot owner.

PS - I've seen pictures of the pilot and while it looks nice, it looks too big for my bicycle basket / subway commute.

moriond
06-27-2015, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the forums, @noneck. Sorry to say that no, the Co-Pilot will not fit a Retina MacBook Pro 13 (or 13" MBA); the largest laptop it will fit is the 11" MBA.

If you want to consider something smaller than a Pilot that will fit the rMBP 13", you might consider the Daylight Briefcase (http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/daylightbriefcase.html). A good (but long) forum thread is The Little Briefcase that Can Fit Almost Anywhere: early Daylight Briefcase review (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8605-little-briefcase-can-fit-almost-anywhere-early-daylight-briefcase-review.html). There are some good additional pictures of the interior of the Daylight Briefcase in @milpool's Tri-Star and DLBCase (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/8951-tri-star-dlbcase.html) thead, though that is really about 1-bag travel. (The author has since gone down to traveling with a Western Flyer + DLBC, but those more recent threads don't really add pictures of the DLBC).

HTH

moriond

DKC
06-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Hi,

I can fit a samsung ultrabook series 5 (315.1mm x 218.9mm x 17.6mm) in my Co-Pilot. It is a tight fit without any case, and you can see that the fabric is bulging. I would not buy the Co-Pilot as a laptop bag for a laptop that size, but it works fine for occasional use when needed.

jennygoat
06-29-2015, 07:33 AM
I'm pretty sure the new 12" MBPs fit, but not the 13".

Kippiann
06-29-2015, 07:54 AM
PS - I've seen pictures of the pilot and while it looks nice, it looks too big for my bicycle basket / subway commute.

Take another look at the Pilot. It looks bigger than it is. In fact, it is smaller in volume and nearly identical in size to the bag you currently carry.

Freestyle: 13.8 (tapering to 11.8) x 9.4 x 4.7 = 14 liters

Pilot: 15.4 x 11.4. 5.1 = 13 liters

That makes the Pilot 1.5 inches wider and and 2 inches taller than your current bag while still maintaining the same volume. The 1.5 inches may be too much for your bicycle but maybe not?

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

monisbrett
06-29-2015, 12:47 PM
I carry my Pilot in my bike carriage all the time. Pictures show it both horizontal and vertical. My Pilot is fully loaded including a 13" MBP in an sleeve.

moriond
06-29-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the new 12" MBPs fit, but not the 13".

Correct, @jennygoat, but the 11" MBA is actually longer than the 12" MacBook in the critical length dimension (which is what limits the maximum size laptop that can fit into the Co-Pilot). This is a result of the redesign of the 12" MacBook keyboard.

12-in MacBook dimentsions: 197 x 281 x 13.1 mm
11-in MacBook Air dimensions: 192 x 300 x 17 mm

The 12-in MacBook is 5 mm taller than the 11-in MacBook Air, but in every other respect (13.1 mm thickness, 281 mm length, and 921 gm weight vs 1.080 gm for the 11-in MacBook Air), it is smaller.

HTH,

moriond

zmanlane
06-29-2015, 08:58 PM
my copilot fits my retina 2015 mbp 13" with a case so you should be good. just snug

noneck
06-29-2015, 10:31 PM
I've placed an order for a pilot and Incase ICON sleeve with tensaerlite. Once the bags arrive, I'll document the experience for others.

Thanks so much for all of your great comments.

Bag nurds rule!

moriond
06-29-2015, 10:50 PM
my copilot fits my retina 2015 mbp 13" with a case so you should be good. just snug

@zmanlane, My guess is that you're using a Dyneema Co-Pilot and making use of the flexibility of the sides of the bag to fit in your 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I'll go back and check this with my own 13" Retina MacBook Pro, but my feeling is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with this tight a fit. If I were carrying a Co-Pilot that was relatively full of other items, I'd use my Daylight Briefcase instead.

From the product page of the Co-Pilot (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0967.html):
Dimensions: 12" x 10" x 5" / 300 x 255 x 125 mm

I believe those are the exterior dimensions.

The 13" Retina MacBook Pro dimensions (in the same order) are: 12.35" x 8.62" x 0.71"/ 314 x 219 x 18 mm

So, it's likely that it's a question of how comfortable you are pushing on the dimensions of the bag. But in case your fit is based on using a Dyneema Co-Pilot, as I suspect, then I'd point out that the current Co-Pilots are all only available in Ballistic Nylon, which is stiffer than Dyneema, especially when new.

A picture of your setup might help the original poster make a better decision about bag and materials. I do routinely use Dyneema versions of bags for situations that might be tight for the same bag in Ballistic Nylon (e.g., I routinely carry my iPad Mini in a hard case, along with a Kindle and other paraphernalia in a 400d Dyneema Side Effect), but it's easier for other users to judge whether this will work for them, too, if they see pictures of the setup. Thanks for the feedback that this works for you.

HTH

moriond

tpnl
06-30-2015, 07:10 AM
I carry my Pilot in my bike carriage all the time. Pictures show it both horizontal and vertical. My Pilot is fully loaded including a 13" MBP in an sleeve.

@monisbrett

Great pictures of your Pilot in the bike carriage basket - I did not expect that it would be able to fit horizontally. I will look out for you when I am out and about on the streets of Toronto ... I will be the one with the black ballistic nylon Pilot or Cadet!

@noneck

With no native laptop padding in the Co-Pilot, I would be very concerned with putting in any laptop "naked" except in an emergency basis - even if it fits. If your carry is minimalist, a Pilot will still be small. I think the DLBC would be a great idea as @moriond suggests. I have fit my slightly bigger 14" Dell with case in it and it fits fine. If you do not like Cordura, the Dyneema version looks great (I am very tempted by it).

Cheers!

jennygoat
06-30-2015, 08:03 AM
@zmanlane, My guess is that you're using a Dyneema Co-Pilot and making use of the flexibility of the sides of the bag to fit in your 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I'll go back and check this with my own 13" Retina MacBook Pro, but my feeling is that I wouldn't feel comfortable with this tight a fit. If I were carrying a Co-Pilot that was relatively full of other items, I'd use my Daylight Briefcase instead.

From the product page of the Co-Pilot (http://www.tombihn.com/travel_bags/TB0967.html):

The 13" Retina MacBook Pro dimensions (in the same order) are: 12.35" x 8.62" x 0.71"/ 314 x 219 x 18 mm

So, it's likely that it's a question of how comfortable you are pushing on the dimensions of the bag. But in case your fit is based on using a Dyneema Co-Pilot, as I suspect, then I'd point out that the current Co-Pilots are all only available in Ballistic Nylon, which is stiffer than Dyneema, especially when new.

A picture of your setup might help the original poster make a better decision about bag and materials. I do routinely use Dyneema versions of bags for situations that might be tight for the same bag in Ballistic Nylon (e.g., I routinely carry my iPad Mini in a hard case, along with a Kindle and other paraphernalia in a 400d Dyneema Side Effect), but it's easier for other users to judge whether this will work for them, too, if they see pictures of the setup. Thanks for the feedback that this works for you.

HTH

moriond
If I carry my 11" MBA, FJN, and a large paperback textbook in the back pocket of my ballistic CP things are pretty snug. This includes a FOC acting as a wristlet in one fron pocket and a stainless steel water/coffee bottle in the bottle pocket. I will say the bag is wearing in nicely, though, and I seem to be getting more flexibility. I'll be taking my laptop to the Apple store in August to see if they can expand anything for me, and might bring my CP along to see what fits. I love the size of the CP but am not adverse to moving up to a Pilot if my laptop meeds change in the future.

moriond
07-08-2015, 12:14 PM

So, it's likely that it's a question of how comfortable you are pushing on the dimensions of the bag.

Hi All,

Since we haven't had any posts following up on a 13" Retina MacBook Pro in a Co-Pilot, I'm following up here with some photos to show how tight the fit is (and also to check photo uploads with an old version of Tapatalk after the vBulletin forum software upgrade). As expected, you won't be able to manage this with a standard TB cache for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, but you may be able to use a closer fitting neoprene case or hard shell for your laptop. In the pictures that follow, I'm using a clear hard shell around my 13" rMBP in a Steel/Solar Co-Pilot of Ballistic Nylon. I would personally feel very uncomfortable carrying this laptop unprotected by a case or shell even in a Ballistic Nylon Co-Pilot both because of how tight the fit is and where the top of the laptop and its corners fall with respect to the zippers and shoulder strap attachments (due to its height in contrast to the shorter/smaller 11" MacBook Air and new 12"MB). Also, note that on new Ballistic Nylon Co-Pilots the fit will be tighter; my Co-Pilot dates from the first production batch of this bag (5 years ago, before solar was retired the first time), and the material is very pliable.

Here's a picture of the front of the Co-Pilot (flattened to make the sides bulge out) compared with my 13" rMBP in a hard shell:

The same 13" rMBP lying on top of the back side of the flattened Steel Ballistic Nylon Co-Pilot. The laptop and bag have been positioned to show the maximum play you can get in the side bulge from the flattened Co-Pilot. The bottom laptop corners come close to the flattened bag outlines, but don't actually make it outside them. At the top, the laptop corners just clear the flattened outline. What this means is that you can fit the laptop into the Co-Pilot with only a very slight angling from true upright by relying on the flexibility of the material in the sides to bulge out from the more rectangular seam design.

Here's a picture of the laptop in the open Co-Pilot (on a table) so you can see how far the edges extend toward the sides of the opening:

https://forums.tombihn.com/attachments/questions-about-bags/12642d1436379522-will-co-pilot-fit-rmba-13-a-imageuploadedbytapatalk1436379521-966729-jpg

Because the 13"rMBP is taller than the 11" MBA and the new 12" MB (that is actually smaller than the 11" MBA in every dimension except height), the top of the Retina MacBook Pro hits closer to the zipper opening, and the top corners are also about the same height as the connectors for the Co-Pilot's shoulder straps, so the metal clips for the strap attachments are also likely to be at a height to possibly rest against the laptop corners (depending on their position inside the Co-Pilot), and the zipper head can rub against the edges (again, depending on the exact placement of the laptop in the bag):

HTH. Maybe someone who regularly uses this setup can post better pictures of the 13" rMBP in the Co-Pilot.

moriond

noneck
07-12-2015, 05:39 PM
Last week, I got my pilot and started figuring out the best way to re-organize my life. With my old timbuk2 bag, I could put my big jambox in the bag. With the pilot, I gotta figure out a new solution.

Btw, I'm not sure how upload a photo. My adblockers in safari and chrome don't like this web forum software.

https://flic.kr/p/uZbhB4

noneck
07-14-2015, 07:27 PM
Using taptalk, I can upload photos!

In the back of the bag, I've been able to squeeze in a big jambox!!!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/f938184d3198a39486cdcd6a398bc575.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/1dd0d2059ee9373efdd9a329b3f3ddc8.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/14/deb66e0e52caf4b1ddf00a7d17828459.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noneck
07-17-2015, 09:03 PM
My used co-pilot arrived. Low and behold, it can hold a naked rMBA13! Now, I need to find a tight sleeve case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk