PDA

View Full Version : Synapse 25 question about weight

jdowney83
07-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Hello, I am going to be buying a synapse 25 and was debating the dyneema vs cordura. I noticed the listed weights are pretty similar, 1lb 11oz compared to 1lb 13oz. I ultimately play to use this bag everyday as well as pack it inside my A45 so I have a backpack wherever I travel. Despite the weight, does the dyneema have the ability to pack down smaller than the cordura?

A small side note, I was wondering, is there a way of knowing if a color combination is retired? I searched and found that sometimes announcements are made, so does that mean if an announcement has not be made it is possible to see a particular color combination appear in a bag? I guess what I mean is, even though a combination I would prefer is not listed as back ordered or in the options, could it still happen since it is not a retired color.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Ravenclaw
07-05-2015, 08:06 PM
Dyneema bags are generally squishier than cordura bags, so dyneema bags pack down smaller. Dyneema bags also tend to be less structured than cordura bags and so are floppier when empty. The flip side of this is that you can generally pack a little more into dyneema bags, as they seem to have a little more give. Another feature of dyneema is that it won't pill clothing from the friction or rubbing of carrying the bag. Cordura can cause pilling.

I don't have a dyneema synapse (my Synapses are cordura) to test the pack-ability for you, but people on this forum are very helpful and I am sure someone else will chime in.

If you are looking for a great lightweight backpack that will easily pack into other bags, consider the Daylight backpack. I have the Dyneema version (which does not appear to be available currently on the website), and it packs easily into my A30.

HTH

jdowney83
07-05-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks for advice, I was looking at the daylight as well, but since the dyneema version is not available I was looking at the synapse. I actually travel light, so I will have plenty of room left in the A45 to fit the S25. I will keep an eye out for a dyneema version of the daylight backpack though, thank you again.

FrozenJ
07-05-2015, 08:39 PM
I'm a new owner of that elusive Dyneema Daylight Backpack. After spending a few weeks deciding on my order, I was all set to place it, but the Dyneema option was no longer listed. A month later it was listed as a back order, and I immediately put in an order. Hope you won't have to wait long.

I have a black S19 and an A30. I would prefer to pack the DLBP instead. There are also the Packing Cube Backpacks available.

Here's a thread that may help with packing the Synapse:

http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/6536-packing-synapse-into-aeronaut.html

jdowney83
07-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Thank you FrozenJ, that gives me hope, I was kind of worried that once it was gone as an option that was it. That link was really helpful.

kkintea
07-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I have a dyneema S25 currently, and also briefly experimented with a cordura S25. I tend to veer away from cordura due to its pet hair magnetism. The bags have the same padded mesh back panel, no matter the front. It packs or stores flat easily, but I wouldn't roll it like some of the alternatives mentioned.

Perhaps someone with bags in both fabrics could do some comparison marsupial photos. I believe I've seen posts on putting the DLBP in the back panel of the A45 (where backpack straps can be stored), and perhaps S25 going in the main compartment. I cannot remember the threads specifically though...@moriond?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moriond
07-06-2015, 08:38 PM
@jdowney83, This is a quick response, because I'm at work without handy access to my Aeronaut 45 right now. However, my impression is that the Synapse 25 is a bit large to want to fit it into the Aeronaut 45 for travel purposes, although you can do it (http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags-accessories/7154-can-i-pack-synapse-25-inside-aeronaut.html). I have both varieties of the Synapse (Cordura and Dyneema), and both sizes of the Synapse (19 and 25). You don't get a large savings in weight for the Dyneema version of the Synapse, because both Cordura and Dyneema versions share the same structure and design of Dri-Lex® Aero-Spacer® mesh upper back and back padding, and that's a large factor in the overall weight of the bag. By the same token, because the Synapse has a segmented design with lots of organization, you're not going to see any major differences in the usage of the Dyneema vs Cordura versions -- whereas in a backpack like the Smart Alec with a large open space, you might notice more sagging if you use the top pockets.

However, the larger (longer) Synapse 25 is much more to pack into the main compartment of the Aeronaut 45. Because of the thickness of the back pad, which is one of the feature that makes it more comfortable to carry with lots of stuff, it's not going to flex, and is too much to think of slipping into the backpack strap pockets of the bag (even if this were permitted by the hourglass shape of the Aeronaut's backpack strap pockets -- which are very different from the rectangular shape of the Tri-Star and Western Flyer backpack strap pockets). So that means you'd have to pack it into the interior of the Aeronaut. And because of its length, you'd have to take down one side divider section that separates the main compartment from the end pockets in order to do this. See Can I pack a Synapse 25 inside an Aeronaut? (http://forums.tombihn.com/questions-about-bags/7154-can-i-pack-synapse-25-inside-aeronaut.html) That's very different from the situation with the Synapse 19, and it cuts into one of the features of the Aeronaut design -- the use of the end pockets, particularly to fit large objects like shoes/boots.

In terms of the Synapse 19, there are advantages to packing a Dyneema version, because they're a little easier to flatten and compress -- especially if you get hold of one of the older versions with exteriors that were made in 200d Dyneema. (They stopped making these versions when 400d Dyneema in Steel and Nordic were first introduced in late 2012). For the Synapse 25, I personally wouldn't try to pack one inside an Aeronaut to take along. I'd take a Daylight Backpack instead, and it could either be of Dyneema or Cordura, since either one rolls or packs or folds into the Aeronaut pretty easily. If I wanted to carry a Synapse 25 separately, I'd carry the bag and whatever other luggage bag I wanted to use (probably something smaller than the Aeronaut 45). For that matter, while I can see instances where I might carry a 200d Dyneema Synapse 19 inside an Aeronaut 45, I'd probably more likely carry a Synapse 19 (of either material) as a separate bag, along with a Western Flyer, Tri-Star, etc. I've also flown with a Synapse 25 + other bag where this was a Tri-Star or Western Flyer (this was all before the advent of the Aeronaut 30, and generally on European carriers).

Just my 2˘. For an Aeronaut + backpack travel combination now, I'd probably use the Aeronaut 30 + Daylight Backpack unless I needed really extensive backpack functions at my destination. (I'm under 5' 4" tall, and wear petite clothing, shoes, etc. if that makes a difference, but I don't have problems carrying heavier bags.) For information on how to pack a Daylight Backpack into an Aeronaut 45, see @taminca's posts at the beginning of the Daylight Backpack Impressions/Photos (http://forums.tombihn.com/photos-videos-and-reviews/7893-daylight-backpack-impressions-photos.html) thread.

HTH

moriond

jdowney83
07-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Thank you for the reply @moriond I am going to buy the Synapse 25, but for everyday use, I will probably end up going with the DLBP for my A30 and A45. I appreciate the advice :)

moriond
07-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Thank you for the reply @moriond I am going to buy the Synapse 25, but for everyday use, I will probably end up going with the DLBP for my A30 and A45. I appreciate the advice :)

I think you'll really like the Synapse 25 for everyday use. I have this in Steel 400d Dyneema/Wasabi. (All Dyneema Synapses after the introduction of 400d Dyneema, which means all Dyneema Synapse 25s, are 400d Dyneema). My preference comments about not carrying a Synapse 25 in an Aeronaut 45 are mainly because the A45 can really hold a lot, and therefore it's very easy to pack a bigger load than you may feel comfortable in carrying in this bag. I usually find that I don't need to carry that much. Also, it's more likely that you may run into a weight limit for carryons on some airlines before a size limit becomes an issue,

HTH

moriond

jdowney83
07-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Yeah, I have the A30 and A45, I usually have space left in my A30. I travel light, but I wanted the larger option for more casual domestic trips or even road trips. I almost wish I hadn't seen those pictures of the Iberian and ultraviolet synapse 19's :) it is one of the reasons I got the A45 (black dyneema/island) figure I would regret not buying it later on. Anyways, I tend to wear a backpack a lot, so either way the s25 will get major use, the input helped a lot, I had not really given the DLBP much of a look until you guys pointed it out.

Thanks again.