PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a toiletry kit

jalm1
07-14-2015, 09:10 PM
I am looking for a new toiletry kit. Iím currently using a tumi alpha II hanging kit. While I like it very much, it size and shape is awkward to pack in a carry-on roller or weekender style duffel (however, its fine for checked luggage). I also currently use an eagle creek medium travel sac as a 3-1-1 bag which fits nicely in the middle of the tumi kit (yes, the sac is larger than a quart, but its not full and with TSA pre, I virtually never have to take it out anyway).

Down the road I am looking at a tri-star for my 1-2 day trips over my duffel. For now, my thoughts for carry on packing Ė roller or duffel Ė is to separately pack the EC sac and a toiletry kit. While the overall volume may be similar, it will be easier to make things fit vs. something as large and ridged as the tumi kit.

Outside of the liquids which go in the sac, I donít need to carry much, but what I do need to carry has some size constraints. Generally this would include:
- Sonicare hard travel case (specifically the diamondclean case)
- Braun electric razor (also fairly sizeable)
- Medium Gotubb (could go into the sac)
- Small Gotubb (could go into the sac)
- A few pill blister backs
- Nail clipper
- And if the bag doesnít have one or two small organization pockets some little travel sac for things like collar stays, nail clipper, etc..

Iíve looked the spiff kits, I really like the idea of something that would pack as flat as possible, however, I am worried that the sonicare case and the razor wouldnít fit in the large mesh pockets.

Any thoughts on a good TB kit(s) / setup that might work here?

I recently started off with the laundry SS (for checked bag) and the travel tray, and really happy. Being new to Seattle, also would like to support TB.

ceb
07-15-2015, 06:12 AM
I am looking for a new toiletry kit. I’m currently using a tumi alpha II hanging kit. While I like it very much, it size and shape is awkward to pack in a carry-on roller or weekender style duffel (however, its fine for checked luggage). I also currently use an eagle creek medium travel sac as a 3-1-1 bag which fits nicely in the middle of the tumi kit (yes, the sac is larger than a quart, but its not full and with TSA pre, I virtually never have to take it out anyway).

Down the road I am looking at a tri-star for my 1-2 day trips over my duffel. For now, my thoughts for carry on packing – roller or duffel – is to separately pack the EC sac and a toiletry kit. While the overall volume may be similar, it will be easier to make things fit vs. something as large and ridged as the tumi kit.

Outside of the liquids which go in the sac, I don’t need to carry much, but what I do need to carry has some size constraints. Generally this would include:
- Sonicare hard travel case (specifically the diamondclean case)
- Braun electric razor (also fairly sizeable)
- Medium Gotubb (could go into the sac)
- Small Gotubb (could go into the sac)
- A few pill blister backs
- Nail clipper
- And if the bag doesn’t have one or two small organization pockets some little travel sac for things like collar stays, nail clipper, etc..

I’ve looked the spiff kits, I really like the idea of something that would pack as flat as possible, however, I am worried that the sonicare case and the razor wouldn’t fit in the large mesh pockets.

Any thoughts on a good TB kit(s) / setup that might work here?

I recently started off with the laundry SS (for checked bag) and the travel tray, and really happy. Being new to Seattle, also would like to support TB. If you are in Seattle, why don't you stop by the store, Sonicare and Braun in hand and try the spiff kits out? Although I have found that my Oral-B case doesn't fit well in anything but since it already is a case, I just slide it into my bag separately. The razor (unless you carry that in a case too, should fit easily.

Pokilani
07-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Like @ceb, I keep my Sonicare in the case and just find a nice spot for it in my bag. I'd be inclined to do that with the Braun case as well. I then keep my liquids in a 3-1-1 bag and other toiletries/makeup in a Tumi accessory case. I find that it helps my fit things into the books and crannies of my Tumi roller or A30. However, with my Western Flyer, I brought like it to look really neat so I put all the stuff either into a small WF packing cube or a packing cube shoulder bag. There's something about the packing style of the WF that makes me want to contain everything.
One thing you might consider is putting as much into the EV cube as you can and then get a mini or small pouch for the small things like nail clippers, collar stays, and pill packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoStanford
07-15-2015, 09:05 AM
I'm planning on trying out a Snake Charmer/Snack Chamber as a shower kit - but this would be specifically for airing out damp items, and it would have to be OK to have some water droplets coming off/out of the bag.

jalm1
07-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks. I'd love to stop by the store, but with near weekly travel it likely isn't going to happen for a while (I've been trying to find time to go for a few months).

I like the idea of just using a packing cube and some small organizer or something for the little things. I don't really want the items loose in my bag, as i try to keep everything organized in some sort of cube.

PrimalMama
08-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I may get stoned for suggesting this on the Tom Bihn forum, but... I have a red oxx nomad shave kit that fits perfectly into the small side of the front compartment of my tri-star, and would have plenty of room for the sonicare and braun... then I use a 3D Clear Organizer Cube for my 3-1-1 bag - I can usually either fit it in the shave kit or at least in the compartment with the shave kit.

marytattoo
08-11-2015, 02:45 PM
:)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

imperator
08-12-2015, 09:16 AM
Don't get stoned, drugs are bad....<rimshot>

Long ago I found it more convenient to put together a go-bag of toiletries with duplicate everything in travel sizes appropriately sized for a week of travel. I leave the Sonicare at home and have everything from first aid and Nyquil to electric razor and eyeglasses pre-packed in two TSA-friendly 3D cubes. Not that expensive to do, plus no worries about losing nice things on the road.