Welcome!

We're glad you are here. This is the place to ask for bag advice, help other people out, post reviews, and share photos and videos.

TOM BIHN Forums Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 14,623   Posts: 188,921   Members: 6,609   Active Members: 294
Welcome to our newest member, lammy.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ultimate Strap Keepers method

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Ultimate Strap Keepers method

    I figured out a way to get the strap keepers to stay on securely. I wind them up (with about an inch and a half of length in the wind) and position the halfway up the remaining strap so I can move it tighter or looser if needed. But then instead of winding the strap keepers around the entire pile (which can make the strap keeper subject to falling off) I thread it under the top layer of the wound strap - attaching it on the outside, then rotating them around so the hooking part is hidden. It stays securely within the wound fabric with the edges of the loop preventing it from falling off the pile of strap.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shoplarry; 10-13-2019, 09:11 PM.

    #2
    Yes, it found that a 1.5 to 2 inch fold of strap is more secure than a small, tight roll. And I leave extra strap unfolded so I can grab it to pull the straps tighter, or release to add an inch or two of length.

    ETA I flew cross country round trip this week with the straps like this and completely forgot about the strap keepers. It just worked, and I never had to think about it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20191019_154611.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	530.5 KB
ID:	305735
    Last edited by Lia; 10-19-2019, 01:51 PM.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by shoplarry View Post
      I figured out a way to get the strap keepers to stay on securely. I wind them up (with about an inch and a half of length in the wind) and position the halfway up the remaining strap so I can move it tighter or looser if needed. But then instead of winding the strap keepers around the entire pile (which can make the strap keeper subject to falling off) I thread it under the top layer of the wound strap - attaching it on the outside, then rotating them around so the hooking part is hidden. It stays securely within the wound fabric with the edges of the loop preventing it from falling off the pile of strap.
      A lifesaver @shoplarry! I had already lost one strap keeper before I found this post. Thank you.

      This is only possible because the strap keeper can be opened and refastened. A simple loop of elastic couldn't do it.
      Aeronaut 45 (black/island), Tristar (steel/solar), Western Flyer (steel/solar), Synapse 19 (deep blue/iberian)

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks, this is a nice tip. For keeping my straps in place, I use Velcro strap keepers, which do a good job as long as they are wrapped tightly.

        The ones I use are similar to these on amazon:

        https://smile.amazon.com/Cable-Ties-...tronics&sr=1-4

        Comment


          #5
          I also use the cable ties because I have a bunch of these around. They're working well for me.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	tb1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	306655

          Click image for larger version

Name:	tb12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	306656

          Comment


            #6
            Thanks for the tips here and also on the other thread. My S25 strap setup is most similar to Tonya's (as described here) except that I rolled the straps in the opposite direction and tucked the excess sternum straps under the strap keeper as well. It seems convenient to add a swivel double carabiner to hang a towel during day hikes, etc. The setup looks like this:

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	333174

            Comment


              #7
              Modified the arrangement a little to make the sternum strap stay in place better.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Strap.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	333753

              Comment


                #8
                Do you have issues with the strap lengthening itself with the keepers on? I've been using two large safety pins on my Ultimate Shoulder Strap, one to keep it from lengthening itself, and one that I want to replace with the strap keepers.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by PeaceBell View Post
                  Thanks for the tips here and also on the other thread. My S25 strap setup is most similar to Tonya's (as described here) except that I rolled the straps in the opposite direction and tucked the excess sternum straps under the strap keeper as well. It seems convenient to add a swivel double carabiner to hang a towel during day hikes, etc. The setup looks like this:

                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Picture 2.jpg Views:	472 Size:	126.9 KB ID:	333174
                  I’ve tried rolling these both ways (under and over). To answer the question below about strap lengthening, I haven’t had any issues with that when the strap keepers are on. But working with slightly longer rolls of straps, where you keep the “rolled” portion retained by the strap keeper from getting too thick, does seem to work better. I’ll reference my 10-22-2020 post (#325 in the 2020 Wish List thread) to show what one of these looks like viewed from the side and from the top on the Luminary 15. (The original photos were from a sequence of test shots that we did on early versions sent out mods in the Admin forums. My comment in the post was “On the L15 Luminary in particular, the amount of extra shoulder strap length to control was really astonishingly large”. The strap keepers debuted in August/September 2019, a few months after this bag was introduced.)


                  Strap keeper on Luminary 15 (Aubergine/Cloud)
                  Side view of the strap keepers on Luminary 15 shoulder straps to view thickness.

                  Strap keeper on Luminary 15 viewed from top
                  Top view of retained shoulder strap. In these pictures the rolled strap is not particularly thick and fat.

                  Before the strap keepers, especially on the original Luminary, and the Luminary 12, I would use a Peet’s coffee tie to roll up the extra length of strap, and this is also shown in the photos in my linked post.

                  Luminary 12 Nebulous Grey/Dawn with Peet’s Coffee Tie
                  That’s a Peet’s Coffee Tie (the plasticized top from their bags of coffee). It fits particularly well through the small webbing loop end at the end of the smaller Luminary 12 shoulder straps, and also through the narrower chest sternum straps on many backpacks.
                  Luminary 12 shoulder strap retained with Peet’s Coffee Tue

                  You could roll up the strap and then wrap the end of Peet’s Coffee tie around the rolled up strap. This also works for sternum straps, and you can clip the length of the Peet’s Coffee tie to a convenient length before wrapping it.

                  These ties have also been used as a substitute for the nose guard insert in Tom Bihn masks — a favorite for G42. I also find that the moldability of these ties works really well for the masks. Since the forum upgrade reindexing to vBulletin 5 scrambled alley old link addresses, I’ll separately give the link to a post where I showed pictures of the Peet’s coffee tie used in a mask (08-13-2020 in the Modify first V1 face mask? thread)
                  V1 Mask in Purple  with default twist tie and others
                  The black, plasticized tie, below the position of the inserted twist tie is from the top of a Peet’s Coffee Bag.It provides more moldable structure to the area above the nosebridge in the mask.
                  Peet’s Coffee Tie inserted in place of default mask twist tie
                  Note that you can cut these ties to size — which works better for use as sternum chest strap retainers. The links to the parent posts that I’ve taken the images from provide a little more information in their text discussion.


                  Originally posted by Ladyrixx View Post
                  Do you have issues with the strap lengthening itself with the keepers on? I've been using two large safety pins on my Ultimate Shoulder Strap, one to keep it from lengthening itself, and one that I want to replace with the strap keepers.
                  HTH

                  moriond

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Ladyrixx View Post
                    Do you have issues with the strap lengthening itself with the keepers on? I've been using two large safety pins on my Ultimate Shoulder Strap, one to keep it from lengthening itself, and one that I want to replace with the strap keepers.
                    It's been six months since I first rolled up the straps, and they stayed in the original position - some photos are available here.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X