Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do y'all pack laundry for the trip home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Yeoman Duffel has resolved the laundry dilemma, it is included, at the end of the trip, in one of those upclycled plastic bags, with my husband bundle or toss packed stuff, while my, still clean, items are precise packed in my Tristar.

I edited after BigBadD talked about travel delays.

My own laundry is hand washed every evening, so only one or maybe 2 set of garments are included in the upclycled plastic bag for laundry, which contains my husband's dirty laundry.

It would be cheaper to buy him a whole new set of casual vacation clothes (Tees, shorts/jeans and foundation garment) than wasting time hunting for a laundromat.

When we did multiple states and country visits, usually to family, the last stop, would be laundry stop for casual stuff.

Additionally, I would have to plan for a couple of nice outfit for restaurant and dressed up diners, in each stop, for both of us.

Most of those trips were before I owned any TB bag, which didn't help anything.

Things got better when I bought my first then second TB travel bag. Brain Bags fitted with Packing Cube Backpacks/Shoulder Bags and Packing Cubes with a matching LCB for me and whatever laptop bag for him.

Now, I book hotels with laundromats on site.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-15-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Laundry packing cubes are great for keeping worn clothes away from clean, without losing space. But I try to avoid carrying any laundry that is beyond a reasonable state, and either hand wash or find a local laundrette regularly depending where I am travelling. Past experience has warned me that travel home can sometimes get disrupted and delayed, and you may still need some further change of clothes; and I can think of nothing worse than having to rummage through dirty clothes to then salvage something to wear. If travelling to poorer parts of the world, I have sometimes donated routine clothing (after washing it) to local causes, rather than carry it back.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBadD View Post
        Past experience has warned me that travel home can sometimes get disrupted and delayed, and you may still need some further change of clothes; and I can think of nothing worse than having to rummage through dirty clothes to then salvage something to wear.
        Bingo. And that is why I routinely carry a "spare" set of at least socks/underwear/polo shirt even on a single overnight. Disruption is a risk even on travel which doesn't involve e.g. air transport - a few years ago I got stranded in London due to a complete shutdown of Paddington train station on the afternoon of the day I was supposed to travel home. I was on my way to the station when I saw the announcement of the shutdown (it was due, as I recall, to a complete failure of signalling as far out as Reading, so I couldn't e.g. just travel out via Waterloo instead) and just diverted back to the hotel I'd checked out of that morning, checked back in (they even gave me a complimentary room upgrade!) and pitched up at the office the following morning in fresh togs after enjoying a nice relaxing evening "off leash", a pleasant evening meal, relaxing night's sleep etc. And then caught the train home later that day, after the signalling problem had been resolved. That kind of situation has happened a few times; and on one occasion I found myself snowed in at Schiphol, got back on the train to Bussum-Zuid, checked back into the Bastion hotel there, etc. Everyone was slightly astonished to see me at the office (in Naarden-Bussum) the following morning, but at least I had fresh underwear and a clean shirt!

What's the old adage? Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!
        A45CC K CQPC 3DCCGES25 SK SCBQKTTMCBLSB TT TSS4 PCSBSCBTT CQPC PQBPQK LT SETT 3DCCQKS19 TT P3DCCTS PP BBLCBCP TTRi QK NFTD A30DLBC

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT00 View Post
          Bingo. And that is why I routinely carry a "spare" set of at least socks/underwear/polo shirt
          Definitely! I have learned ... the hard way ... to ALWAYS carry spare undies/socks/light shorts/2 small adult diapers IN MY FLIGHT UNDERSEAT BAG. You never know when some accident might happen and you'll need quick access

Let's just all agree not to eat the chicken & rice at Gate 39 in Narita and then jump on a 14 hour flight.
          Seeking Verde Aeronauts and Ursa or Coyote Synik 30 GE

Comment

I always carry spares of bottom garments, because gastric traveler's problems should always be taken in consideration.

Women, have the added "advantage", of surprise cycles shifts, due to travel obligation stresses.

This is why I have always considered destination weddings to be madness. If one doesn't want to go through the "forced to invite the 3rd cousin of the non-profit official who is an acquaintance of the in-laws", one elopes at city hall and spend all the money on the honeymoon.
            Last edited by backpack; 05-17-2021, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I just got back from a week long family trip and I brought a packable duffel to use as a laundry bag for everyone, with delicates (wool) going to a separate packing cube. It was easy enough to dump the contents of the duffel into the washer midweek.

Comment

Working...
              X