X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maker's bag rain cover accessory?

Hi there,
    first post here!

I've been using a Brain Bag since 2013 (my bag for EDC, travel, everything!) but I finally decided to switch back to a messenger bag (and limit what I carry with me everyday) and I'm now a happy owner and user of a Maker's bag. I spent two months with it and I love it: super versatile and comfortable, and contrary to other users the flapping top (and the open sides) usually doesn't bother me at all.
    My only issue with is when it rains: those two openings on the sides are a bit too open for my taste, especially when the bag is not fully loaded (or when I don't have my computer or the Freudian slip with me); so any of you use a rain cover for the Maker's bag? Which brand?

Or even better what are the chances of a raincoat accessory for the maker's bag made by Tom Bihn? Mostly to cover the top flap so that the rain doesn't enter from the sides. Something that can be stored folded in one of the bag's pocket (or in my motorbike) and attached to the bag when the heavy rain strikes? I would definitely buy one!

Cheers

Davide

I can’t speak of any rain covers, but some people have used the 8” key strap from Tom Binh, attached to o-rings on either side, to “pinch” in the sides of Makers Bag just enough to make sure the cover is always over the opening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A7FB524C-B844-4714-952E-82FEF3866C96.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	332603

Name:	AF9BA21D-2AE3-4782-9BB4-0173C178258F.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	332604
    You can’t quite tell, but the opening is fully covered this way.

Comment

Welcome to the Forums davide !
      I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I'm wondering if a 13 inches MacBook + water bottle still fit, but it may a good solution (unless a major storm happens )

Originally posted by cdgerston View Post
        I can’t speak of any rain covers, but some people have used the 8” key strap from Tom Binh, attached to o-rings on either side, to “pinch” in the sides of Makers Bag just enough to make sure the cover is always over the opening.

Name:	A7FB524C-B844-4714-952E-82FEF3866C96.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	332603

Name:	AF9BA21D-2AE3-4782-9BB4-0173C178258F.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	332604
        You can’t quite tell, but the opening is fully covered this way.

Comment

Thank you!

Originally posted by G42 View Post
          Welcome to the Forums davide !

Comment

Originally posted by davide View Post
            Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I'm wondering if a 13 inches MacBook + water bottle still fit, but it may a good solution (unless a major storm happens )

Hi davide The original hack of using the 8” keystrap across the two O-rings of the Maker’s Bag to keep everything under the flap was proposed by tpnl in a 12-09-2015 post. You can see from the pictures that the bag with keystrap was packed quite full. (I‘ll excerpt one of the pictures)

@tpnl’ Maker’s Bag with 8” keystrap across top

You can read down the comments from people who tried this, for example:
            Originally posted by flaneuse View Post
            I carried my black dyneema MB while running errands in the rain (it poured all day!) and the contents stayed dry. It was raining enough that my rain jacket got quite soaked while trudging from distance Costco parking lot to store and back. The ends do fold in and get covered by the flap when worn over the shoulder.
            If you really feel you need a bit more room you can experiment (e.g. use an 8” keystrap with o-ring end, and extend it slightly with a small double carabiner such as the one in Solar (yellow) that I can see hanging from an O-ring st the front left inside cdgerston ‘s Maker’s Bag.

Hope this helps,

moriond

Comment

Personally, it seems that if you're worried about rain, it would be a lot easier to use a different bag on rainy days. messing with a "rain jacket" kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a messenger bag in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by pvn View Post
                Personally, it seems that if you're worried about rain, it would be a lot easier to use a different bag on rainy days. messing with a "rain jacket" kinda defeats the whole purpose of having a messenger bag in the first place.
                I love the size and design of the Maker's Bag, but I too am not fully convinced by the always fully and rain-proof flap closing. The apparent gaps are totally dependent on bag loading. I have used the 8" keystrap recommendation but this is a kludge solution. So I use my Maker's Bag fully aligned with the above comment: If it is a rainy day or I am doing more than short distances between buildings and transport, then I use a different zip closed TB bag.

Comment

Thank you for your insights. My idea for a raincoat is more as an emergency cover: you know when you leave home early in the morning and the sun is high in the sky, and then in the evening is raining like the great deluge And you have to ride your motorbike for 30 minutes to get home... 🙄

I want to try the 8'' keystrap trick the next time I'm in a similar situation and see how it behaves.

Comment

Originally posted by davide View Post
                    Thank you for your insights. My idea for a raincoat is more as an emergency cover: you know when you leave home early in the morning and the sun is high in the sky, and then in the evening is raining like the great deluge And you have to ride your motorbike for 30 minutes to get home... 🙄

I want to try the 8'' keystrap trick the next time I'm in a similar situation and see how it behaves.
                    You could check around for actual rain covers that fit messenger bags... when I used to foot commute with a backpack for several miles and misjudged the weather or forgot an umbrella, I had something similar to one of these
                    https://www.rei.com/product/168209/r...BOCHA%20ORANGE

It's basically a waterproof shell with elastic all around the edges so it covered the pack up to the straps, around the sides, & the base; the back was protected by my back and the straps would just get wet - worked really well during downpours.
                    I like all the blues and greys...and all the happy citrus colours too! My search unicorn is the Sapphire Dyneema original Small Shop Bag...

Comment

Originally posted by G42 View Post

You could check around for actual rain covers that fit messenger bags... when I used to foot commute with a backpack for several miles and misjudged the weather or forgot an umbrella, I had something similar to one of these
                      https://www.rei.com/product/168209/r...BOCHA%20ORANGE

It's basically a waterproof shell with elastic all around the edges so it covered the pack up to the straps, around the sides, & the base; the back was protected by my back and the straps would just get wet - worked really well during downpours.
                      Exactly that sort of things! (now if it was from Tom Bihn, it would be even better, no?! 😉)

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X